Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Skyforge: Eyes on the New MMORPG at GDC

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This week at GDC, a new MMO made an unexpected debut to join the ranks of new and upcoming games. Skyforge will take your character on a journey from immortality to godliness as you ascend slowly into godhood. This MMO has a lot of interesting new features and we will begin to highlight a few here. The team who made Allods Online has joined with Obsidian Entertainment to create Skyforge which will run as a free to play MMO with a huge world on a single server, and a strong action combat play-style that changes with each class you choose.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Skyforge - Eyes on the New MMORPG at GDC.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

meh.

just saw a trailer and the toon dropped a greatsword triple the size of him-  and i logged out.

=)

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by orbitxo

meh.

just saw a trailer and the toon dropped a greatsword triple the size of him-  and i logged out.

=)

Logged out of the trailer?

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• TaneonTaneon Member UncommonPosts: 53
    No real information to have any kind of real idea about this game except its being done by freaking Obsidian Entertainment... which automaticly puts in on my radar :D
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

This is the second news feature about Skyforge in 2 days !

Must be really significant...

• galjingaljin Member UncommonPosts: 15

meh.

=)

Really? In WoW you can dual wield 2h, and you "log out" when you see a retractable tech sword? You need to play more mmos before starting to criticize this kind of stuff...

Now back on topic, the game looks promising. they are still developing it and soon an Alpha will be available. 

Personally, I see it quite unique. Mixing ancient/classical fantasy with futuristic/sci-fi, would normally be weird using swords and magic with high end technology but somehow it looks good here. 

I'll look forward to it, and if it is just another mmo then i'll still play it for the lore and looks. There isn't anything else to play so, I'd at least play a game made with original ideas. I was getting tired of seeing elves and orcs everywhere. And who did not want a retractable sword once?

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    This really looks good, i like the mix of fantasy and futuristic world. The scenery shoots reminded me of tera, been hoping a game would recreate the same open world felling. Defo keep an eye on this 
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Some observations:

1)  Zones.  Not seamless?

2)  PVP done in PVP areas (instances?).  No open world PVP.

3)  Teleport nodes used to travel.

4)  Single player MMORPG, ever person becomes a god.

Correct me if I was wrong.  It was what I read in the article.

It seems like the timing is bad though, to start developing a AAA themepark, when big companies are steering toward sandbox style games.  Skyforge doesn't look like an inexpensive game either that can gamble on just another ho-hum themepark.

The artwork looks really intricate (OK the sword halfway through the trailer was just silly).  Lets hope it has a really really good soundtrack to help bundle it all up.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ry7737ry7737 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    is anyone else here rock hard or is it just me?
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I never figured the Allods team for a "bad" dev group, so maybe it'll be fun.  At least they don't look like they're copying WoW so much (just other games this time around).  Also Karteli, none of the things you mention on your list are cons for a lot of people, though I'd rather #1 be less prominent in MMO's.  I want to see more combat before I take any interest, because it looks like it's that "press a key, let the light show begin" kind of game where combat seems boring because it tries to be too exciting.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

meh.

=)

Each to their own of course, yet it's a rather shallow critique of a game considering it means nothing to game-play.

As was asked already how does one log out of a trailer?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

My interest in this title was piqued when I saw it listed under the "News" header, along with the fact that it was being shown at GDC.

Then I read through the article and saw that it was a collaborative effort with the ALLODS Team, and it was another "free to play" title, and I lost all interest.

ALLODS - while impressive in its development - was a shameless clone of World of Warcraft, which in itself I could forgive.  Most MMOs these days mimic each other in countless ways.

What I don't forgive was the blatant greed of the RMT Cash Shop and its blatant attempt to offer an undeniable "pay to win" scenario.

• tiborbtiborb Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by BartDaCat

My interest in this title was piqued when I saw it listed under the "News" header, along with the fact that it was being shown at GDC.

Then I read through the article and saw that it was a collaborative effort with the ALLODS Team, and it was another "free to play" title, and I lost all interest.

ALLODS - while impressive in its development - was a shameless clone of World of Warcraft, which in itself I could forgive.  Most MMOs these days mimic each other in countless ways.

What I don't forgive was the blatant greed of the RMT Cash Shop and its blatant attempt to offer an undeniable "pay to win" scenario.

Gpotato was greed, not the Allods team. :)

• gavannicgavannic Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I signed up for the beta. Cant judge it till i play it. I hope its good though.

Found these.     

• gavannicgavannic Member UncommonPosts: 6

• KaraethonKaraethon Member Posts: 33

If allods was a WoW clone is this supposed to be an Aion clone?

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

The setting seems very fresh and the fact that Obsidian is involved also appeals to me. Action oriented combat is a plus too if it's done well.

However, I'm somewhat wary of the Allods guys, on one hand that game wasn't bad at all but they done fucked it up real good with their cash shop bullshit.

I'm also wondering just how open world this will be. Allowing multiple starting points for the players might be a good idea, but it somewhat sounds like they're making instanced zones with a "theme". Still, could turn out to be very interesting.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Karteli

Some observations:

1)  Zones.  Not seamless?

2)  PVP done in PVP areas (instances?).  No open world PVP.

3)  Teleport nodes used to travel.

4)  Single player MMORPG, ever person becomes a god.

Correct me if I was wrong.  It was what I read in the article.

Could not care less for 1. - 3, for 4., if game is not soloable UP to END GAME, will not play. Have a lot things to do in life and only ONE (even if important) of them is gaming. If would be eternal student, jobless, ... etc... then this would not be important.

Will play if quality will be decent, mouse instead WASD, .... will see.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    I don't know. There's P2P games on the horizon that seem decent so far. I remember Allod's Online being a game that required you to spend quite a bit of money for things that are pretty standard in P2P MMO's. Like, more money than you'd spend a month for P2P's, so this game would have to get good reviews regarding that area after release for me to even pay this game any mind.
  • EbanyEbany Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

This is the second news feature about Skyforge in 2 days !

Must be really significant...

Or they paid MMORPG a nice sum of money to keep it in the headlines.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Such eye candy. Me likey!!!!