Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] ArcheAge: How Deep the Rabbit Hole Goes

2»

Comments

• SilvervainSilvervain Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Mothanos

I cannot wait to sub to this game :)

Isn't this game going to be Free to Play?

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I really don't like the idea of labor points.  So it just limits progress in a day?  That doesn't sound very fun...

To the poster below:  I don't think this game is billed as full on sandbox more a sandpark.  Either way it doesn't really matter what people label games, the features the game offers matter.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    How can it be Sandbox if there are classes? Can you be all classes and do everything? If not, it is not sandbox.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by mbd1968
    How can it be Sandbox if there are classes? Can you be all classes and do everything? If not, it is not sandbox.

Yes ArcheAge has a 120 class combo plus you can equip and use any weapon. Plus ArcheAge is a hybrid it's not a full sandbox mmo.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Can we just agree that the definition of "sandbox" is different from person to person? All that matters is that it meets the sandbox needs of the individual and their own personal definition. What others define as "sandbox" doesn't matter whatsoever and can hinge on the ridiculous in many cases.

AA is a sandbox to me, end of discussion in my mind.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by steelwind
    Can we just agree that the definition of "sandbox" is different from person to person? All that matters is that it meets the sandbox needs of the individual and their own personal definition. that others define as "sandbox" doesn't matter whatsoever and can hinge on the ridiculous in many cases.

Hey if you want to believe it's a sandbox mmo then bully for you lol, fact is it's a hybrid with many sandbox features.

Personally i think it's a winning formula, this is what i like about Age Of Wushu and to some degree Vanguard.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by steelwind
    Can we just agree that the definition of "sandbox" is different from person to person? All that matters is that it meets the sandbox needs of the individual and their own personal definition. that others define as "sandbox" doesn't matter whatsoever and can hinge on the ridiculous in many cases.

Hey if you want to believe it's a sandbox mmo then bully for you lol, fact is it's a hybrid with some sandbox features.

Personally i think it's a winning formula, this is what i like about Age Of Wushu and to some degree Vanguard.

The thing about AA is that you can play it however you like, if you focus on the themepark, AA is a themepark to you. If you choose to only play in the sand, it's a sandbox.

The problem is that too many players come to the game from themeparks, play it like one, then condemn it as one. The problem there is not the game itself but rather the player not able to break the themepark mentality and step outside what they are used to and play it "differently". All the tools are there, the question is, are you using them? Do you care?

In a game where you aren't told what to focus on, the choice is indeed yours.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Silvervain

I cannot wait to sub to this game :)

Isn't this game going to be Free to Play?

F2P / P2P mix, suspected all along, but sounds confined from the article.

Essentially no barrier to entry, although those who choose to support the game by "subscribing" receive additional perks to make paying worthwhile.

Various hybrid payment models being used across MMORPG's are actually quite nice.  The player gets to see how the game runs & looks, without investment.  If they want to get involved and progress faster, they can do that too.  It's like a demo on roids, I guess :-O

I don't think it will be like Aion's F2P, where anyone and everyone gets everything possible without restrictions, without paying a single cent.  Although, with the huge potential for sandbox customizations, between characters, costumes, housing, boat styles, gliders, mounts, etc, that would have been a good avenue for AA - even better so than Aion, because of ArcheAge's depth and freedom.  You didn't mention Aion, but I brought it up as another Korean MMORPG with customizations, that is F2P.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• LordMatsuLordMatsu Member Posts: 12
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Themepark or Sandbox?  I've been hearing both sides, but I kind of hoping for the latter.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by LordMatsu
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Themepark or Sandbox?  I've been hearing both sides, but I kind of hoping for the latter.

Sandpark .. Read 3 posts up from this for a good explanation, posted by Steelwind.

Good answer from someone who read the thread along with others responses.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by steelwindThe thing about AA is that you can play it however you like, if you focus on the themepark, AA is a themepark to you. If you choose to only play in the sand, it's a sandbox.

Nah, you just misuse terms.

Just because you can choose your form of leveling does not make the game a sandbox, nor is defining sandbox or themepark the way you play - that is just nonsense statement and proof that people use term sandbox for whatever flies their boat.

AA is a themepark with more emphasis on crafting and some new features. It might not be the typical "WoW clone" but that does not make it a sandbox. Same goes for AoW.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

So whats eve online then ? also a themeapark ?

There is land to be conquered, non instanced, where you can build your houses / castle / farm.
    Wich you need to defend from invaders that can raid your lands.
    You need trade routes who are extremely dangerous.
    You sail the seas to explore the riches of the world both on islands and in the sea.
    Open world pvp is a HUGE if not the most importand aspect of the game, as you need all kinds of stuff from crafters etc etc.
    Your telling me that these are themepark elements ? realy ? you serious ?

I see Eve Online in a fantasy setting, but hey thats just me :P

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

I haven't found any other mmorpg which is unique as ArcheAge. Yes the combat is our usual tab targeting, but other features of this game is what make I love it. Questing is linear, mainly main quests, but there are side quests scattered all over the zones waiting to be found. Gardening as I'm playing Harvest Moon (underwater farm is also exist), riding a ship as I'm playing Assassin Creed IV, collect mounts and pets from various zones and raise their level so they'll learn more skills, waiting for a public transportation to arrive, swimming on the ocean and find new things, climbing the mountains to find that there are people who grow crops there so I can steal them, delivering a trade caravan just to be ambushed by pirates, design and make your own house/castle, and the list goes on.

Back then, I was on a "quest" with my friends. The objective is to buy the enemy faction's mount. To do that, we have to cross the ocean and sneak around. It's not an easy task as we died several times, but our hard work was finally paid as we bought the mount. That's only an example of what you can do in ArcheAge.

You won't get that experience in other generic themepark mmorpgs.

You see features, not the design beneath them.

There are no themepark/sandbox elements. Either game can have any feature, what matters is how it is implemented and how it interact with the rest of the game as well as players.

Features do not make the design.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    the depth of a sandbox ... i prefer the developers focusing on the mechanics of a virtual world rather than on dungeons and personal stories ...

Originally posted by Gdemami

You see features, not the design beneath them.

There are no themepark/sandbox elements. Either game can have any feature, what matters is how it is implemented and how it interact with the rest of the game as well as players.

Features do not make the design.

I would like to hear your Archeage experiences that have gotten you to your conclusion? Have you played Archeage? If so, what level did you get to? Did you play long enough to experience the sandbox?

Point being, you sound so sure of you opinion which leads me to believe you have experience with it? Otherwise your opinion means nothing, especially since you seem to be painting a picture to those who may be already playing. So back up your themepark statements with facts and experience or go away.

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Everyone is...was excited about this game, as was I. Unfortunately it will  be AT LEAST 2yrs. b4 we see it...find something else.
  • DrinkFeckDrinkFeck Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by bentrim
    Everyone is...was excited about this game, as was I. Unfortunately it will  be AT LEAST 2yrs. b4 we see it...find something else.

Where do you people get this tosh from?

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

I'd like to know how the hell I can play the RU version?!  C'mon someone throw me a bone !

• DrinkFeckDrinkFeck Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Wolfhammer

I'd like to know how the hell I can play the RU version?!  C'mon someone throw me a bone !

Sign ups & registrations are currently blocked to folks in many areas of the world. I'd honestly just wait until Trion pull their fingers out and launch in the West, or at the very least announce open beta.  I'm not investing too much time in ArcheAge RU as negotiations with IP blocks are on-going.

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Wolfhammer

If you don't know how to get around the very simple region blocks put in place by MMOs companies, you may be better off not even trying. Besides you are far better off with the Japanese version of the game since the RU version will be virtually the same as Trions. The Japanese version is so far at least, sub only and without the large cash shop since that model isn't well received there and they said they are trying to work out a way to leave out as many westernized changes as possible. I am heavily leaning towards this version now that Trion announced that glyph really is going to be an attempt to replace Steam and try to grip the neck of indies.

• GilnidorGilnidor Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by rawfox

I nearly stopped playing the RU beta, i dont want to spoil myself too mutch :)

And then, its hard, not to login.

Maintainance atm ... lol ^^

I am in the same boat as you there :)

I am in the same boat as you there :)

Originally posted by steelwindI would like to hear your Archeage experiences that have gotten you to your conclusion? Have you played Archeage? If so, what level did you get to? Did you play long enough to experience the sandbox?Point being, you sound so sure of you opinion which leads me to believe you have experience with it? Otherwise your opinion means nothing, especially since you seem to be painting a picture to those who may be already playing. So back up your themepark statements with facts and experience or go away.

The game is based on usual linear power progression - lvls, gear, zones, etc.

You claim it to be something else, you need to bring a back up for your claims. The burden of proof is on your shoulders.

I am not putting the game down, I have no issue with themeparks, I do enjoy them myself, as much as I enjoy sandbox, but I am not blind folded to pretend the game is something it isn't.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Originally posted by Eldrach

To be honest, i think the game will be too complex for the western audience. We're used to logging on, and understanding the game mechanics in its entirety within one hour...Any more than than and people start going....this game..sucks..don't understand shit..log off..done with the game forever.

You can call the western audience shallow, but the fact that there's a TON of alternatives with less complex but fun systems makes this a real danger for Archeage.

I have a feeling archeage will fall on it's ass like all other translated asian mmorpgs.

You are underestimating the boredom we face with the current crop of garbage. I am dying to play Archage.

• DengarDengar Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Bleh, this is news? This is all info we've seen since before the game went to Japan.