Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why ppl keeping saying " stay away from this game" ?

Comments

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by Meowhead
    Originally posted by Ender4

Unfortunately the group play is pretty poorly done. The downleveling also means you can't really have much fun solo. I mean in most games if you are solo and bored you can go blow up a dungeon a few levels lower than you to have a little challenge and see something different. The PvP is total zerg based and just isn't much fun at all.

GW2 has a ton of good parts to it but a lot of the core design decisions ruined the game.

?

Lots of people go solo dungeons and bosses.  People even do speed runs like it.  You can find videos on Youtube of people doing stuff like that.

You just have to be a really good player, not just good stats.  I guess the complaint could be that being really powerful at high level is only an option if you're good at running a build.

Agree

Allot of players speed thru or skip content because it sucks.

You never need to group, just follow the zerg and spam auto attack and get rewarded.

Crafting....not needed. You can get the gear from dungeons/pvp/or just buy off the Trade Post.

Now, if you want to craft a legendary or ascended then you will know what the word grind means.

Most people just buy the gold to buy a legendary.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by saurus123
    Originally posted by davc123
    Because no ENDGAME and is boring after max lvl

and what is this  ENDGAME everyone is talking about?

every single post that bash the game have NO ENDGAME thingy in it but doesnt say anything more than that

What do you want them to say? While it is a subjective issue, it would still be difficult to describe it. If a player is coming from WoW, Endgame is a vertical progression system.  GW2 has no vertical progression system. So if that is what someone is expecting.......there is no endgame. It's not there.  Not to say there is nothing to do, but if what GW2 offers to do at 80 doesn't match someone's definition of Endgame, there isn't much for them to say other than "It has no endgame"

How would I describe detailed issues with my new car if I don't own a new car? My problem is that I don't have a new car.

• VeryDustyVeryDusty Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by Ender4

Unfortunately the group play is pretty poorly done. The downleveling also means you can't really have much fun solo. I mean in most games if you are solo and bored you can go blow up a dungeon a few levels lower than you to have a little challenge and see something different. The PvP is total zerg based and just isn't much fun at all.

GW2 has a ton of good parts to it but a lot of the core design decisions ruined the game.

Downleveling means you just can't be OP in lower level zones, which is what you are in most games. That is what you want, you don't want a challenge. Group -play is NOT poorly done it is different is all. If you like going out and waiting for a Trinity-stale group, then this game is not for you since there is no trinity. You can group with friends or just be one of many for a champ - it just depends on what you want to do.

How can you solo a dungeon - that is just utter nonsense - go try it ( most of the soloers, only do certain bosses and the drops they get are less because of that). PvP is not total zerg - with a small focused group, you can do quite a bit of damage and keep ahead of the zerg - if you actually played the game recently, you would know that.

And which game isn't a zerg vs zerg when you get more than 10 players in a map? Even ESO will be Z vs. Z also (and since there are cities, etc. in the area - there will be more gankers in that game in PvP)  - it is not the savior people think it will be.

To the OP - there are changes coming to GW2 on April 15th - they just announced it. The game will be different then, more like GW1 (in traits that is). So, buy and play is my suggestion at least there is not a sub to pay.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

every single post that bash the game have NO ENDGAME thingy in it but doesnt say anything more than that

What do you want them to say? While it is a subjective issue, it would still be difficult to describe it. If a player is coming from WoW, Endgame is a vertical progression system.  GW2 has no vertical progression system. So if that is what someone is expecting.......there is no endgame. It's not there.  Not to say there is nothing to do, but if what GW2 offers to do at 80 doesn't match someone's definition of Endgame, there isn't much for them to say other than "It has no endgame"

How would I describe detailed issues with my new car if I don't own a new car? My problem is that I don't have a new car.

I don't think MMO's should have ANY end game. The idea of end game, as in Rift, etc. is just to grind gear to show off with and it is a boring as hell. An MMO should be continually changing, hence the Living Stories in GW2, that is what A.Net was trying to do. Don't think they accomplished it exactly, but I commend them for trying at least.

GW2 is the game people love to hate.

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

I don't hate GW2, but as an ex-player I can safely say that NONE of the classes are for me. They all feel "floaty" and have very little impact, therefore they get kind of boring to play as. The game is beautiful and deserves a play-through for the world alone. I found myself bored before getting 100%, which I eventually did. I kept playing because I suppose I expected it to get better.

To compare however, I played the original EQ for 2 and a half years, and WoW for 4 and a half years. Most other mainstream MMORPGs I've played other than those two were from 6 months to right under a year, if only casually. Guild Wars 2 lasted me a solid 5 months. I played a bit interspersed throughout this year but called it quits when Arenanet announced the Scarlet  "closing content" would be their "best yet".

I wholly disagree with a lot of their choices in game design, but that's me. I have permanent great memories of Mad King's clocktower and Liadri the Dark Torment. Why they didn't continue to include content like that in the game is beyond me, because it reaches out to a set of gamers that they normal content just doesn't reach.

Anyways, I also played FFXIV and made it about a month and a half. The game was too shallow for me.

There are some opinions for you, hope they help.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

The thing is if youplay GW2 like you play wow then you will be disapointed. The game isn't designed to run through the game to max level and then do the end game dungeon and be done. 

Guild wars 2 is trying to be more fun not just a gear up game. If you play it slow and take a look around you have so much to do it's just not a traditional gear grind.

The game is more to do other stuff like jumping puzzels which there are many of and we have the living story with contant updates every two weeks.

And If you love to grind the go for legendarys or grind skins for your char that takes like forever.

You can explore the game is huge do boss runs in the open world. 

The difference is that it's not a gear grind game like wow but if you love that you can still do that but it's focused on it like wow.

And if you love WOW, rift and want to play these games then this is just not for you.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by VeryDusty
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I don't think MMO's should have ANY end game. The idea of end game, as in Rift, etc. is just to grind gear to show off with and it is a boring as hell. An MMO should be continually changing, hence the Living Stories in GW2, that is what A.Net was trying to do. Don't think they accomplished it exactly, but I commend them for trying at least.

GW2 is the game people love to hate.

We may be on the same page with this. I have always disliked how traditional theme parks become a different game at cap. The game shouldn't change, the "meta" if you will, should remain the same. 

I said this in another thread recently. When I played the game Rappelz, no one at that time had ever reached level cap. I'm not here to plug that game, but the way they implemented that I think could be borrowed. And it would certainly smudge the lines that have been drawn between what we know now as Endgame vs. Leveling. In fact, leveling continues to be part of the endgame process and that just being in the range of where everyone else is choosing the method of progression that works best for them and they all remain competitive.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Reizlanzer

I don't hate GW2, but as an ex-player I can safely say that NONE of the classes are for me. They all feel "floaty" and have very little impact, therefore they get kind of boring to play as. The game is beautiful and deserves a play-through for the world alone. I found myself bored before getting 100%, which I eventually did. I kept playing because I suppose I expected it to get better.

To compare however, I played the original EQ for 2 and a half years, and WoW for 4 and a half years. Most other mainstream MMORPGs I've played other than those two were from 6 months to right under a year, if only casually. Guild Wars 2 lasted me a solid 5 months. I played a bit interspersed throughout this year but called it quits when Arenanet announced the Scarlet  "closing content" would be their "best yet".

I wholly disagree with a lot of their choices in game design, but that's me. I have permanent great memories of Mad King's clocktower and Liadri the Dark Torment. Why they didn't continue to include content like that in the game is beyond me, because it reaches out to a set of gamers that they normal content just doesn't reach.

Anyways, I also played FFXIV and made it about a month and a half. The game was too shallow for me.

There are some opinions for you, hope they help.

The Marionette was quite good "raid" like boss fight.

Tequatl and the TriWurm are also interesting fights, still available.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

GW2 is the most unlike mmo that Ive played.  If you are looking for a different experience and game, u'll find it. If you're used to certain mechanic and want a system similar to other MMOs in a new setting u should try FF.  

The question is why do you game. I know some people who live for the gear grind.  No knock, its their thing. GW2 doesnt have that. If you're doing a large raid group, you will get nice items but nothing that will overpower you or "prepare you " for the next dungeon. 

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Eir_S

If your reasons for playing MMO's are truly as listed, I'd recommend GW2 over FFXIV by a long shot because your tastes are very similar to how I'd describe my own.  Terrible crafting?  That's debatable, crafting is easy and fast if you have the mats, but if you want Ascended gear (the highest level of gear available), I think you're time-locked, I don't remember.  Easy PvE?  Maybe if people are zerging an event.  Otherwise, you can and will be killed a lot in GW2 and even moreso in dungeons.  Explorable dungeons aren't easy.  Well maybe to someone, but no one I've played with in randoms.  Soloing was usually rewarding to me.

FFXIV is a good looking game and that's about all I can say in its favor.  SQ-E hasn't made a good FF in years in my opinion.  I bought it and took a chance and it was a huge waste of money and one of my only MMO regrets in recent years.  I play a game for combat and the combat in FFXIV is not fun to me.  You hardly move, there's a lot of casting time, etc.  Someone else may have more info on the crafting, I almost never bother with crafting until I have a max level character in a game.

You should have played a Barb. One of my most rewarding mmo experiences was playing that barb i was one of the best at it. I love both Final fantasy and GW2...problem is FF has a sub to keep up with.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Pretty much what has already been said. This game is amazing value for money. For a one-off purchase you get a huge amount of content. If you like the game, you will play it for a long time. I personally managed to level up one char to level 80. It was fun in the beginning but it became a drag towards the end but I kept going to check if there's anything fun at max level.

As someone else said, the group content in this game is bad. I mean it sucks so hard you won't believe it. I have done most dungeons quite a few times but the dungeons were super boring on my FIRST playthrough. Not talking about longevity here. They were extremely boring right from the start. The group mechanics are stupid and feel very awkward and clunky.

PvP was fun for 1-2 weeks then got boring. Arena PvP has only 1 game mode - control the points. It's disappoint how little variety this game has in terms of its structured PvP compared to GW1.

I would still recommend you buy it. Even if you ignore the horrible dungeon experience you will still get your money's worth by levelling and exploring. PvP is also fun. It's a different matter for how long it will be fun for you.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ClippersNBAClippersNBA Member Posts: 39

In my opinion, Guild Wars 2 is the worst fake "MMORPG" in recorded human history.

I find it to be the exact opposite, in every way, from what I want in an MMORPG.

In fact, I think it has been severely detrimental to the genre as a whole since so many untalented developers have decided to copy it's catastrophic model.

I am actually looking for a game that does everything opposite of what Guild Wars 2 does, and that is my new litmus test.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

People are saying to stay away from GW2? Heck I feel GW2 is a very weak game but I'd suggest waiting for a weakend to give it a shot cause everyone has their own tastes.

That being said the combat system is probably the biggest strike against it. It feels like one giant slip and slide, designed to be used with 'skill shots' though having tab targeting thrown in which at times can be a pain for hitting things. Its very simplistic in its difficulty as the only real "Skill" it pushes tends to be pressing the dodge button. Its quite embarrassing as it ends up being an endless kite match that looks more silly then epic. 

Crafting in the game is... over-all bleh. Don't get me wrong, How they handle cooking I feel if they done it fully and focused on 'research' it would of been amazing, though its very simplistic when it comes to other professions. Compared to FF14 it loses by a landslide IMO, though Id say its stronger then most MMos out there, so I wouldn't consider it bad either.

Dungeons are just a mess. "We don't want a trinity" pretty much allowed dungeons to be an utter mess. Combined with the fact end game zones are "Zerg zerg zerg" it really does PvE wise become a bit dule. Still there are events and they do small content patches which if you like that type of thing it should be plenty for you. A lot of the 'good' stuff (which fortunately aren't THAT game changing) requires quite annoying amounts of grind. Dynamic events are very much static and not very interesting as you realize its just a fancy forms of quests.

In Summary: I feel its one of the weakest AAA titles in years and an average at best MMo, but like anything some people will find enjoyment in it. The slippery system might be satisfying to you and its simplicity though 'action feeling' combat can possibly draw you in. Over-all I suggest waiting for a free weekend to try the game before buying it.

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138

GW2 is currently best MMO on the market (thats after beta testing ESO and WS).

Combat is most skilled than in any MMO ive played (and ive played them pretty much all), if you have skill you can solo dungeons, otoh those who want spank'n'tnak trinity mechanics will find it too hard. And to be most efficient you have to actually coordinate with the group. If you do it right group efficiency goes up exponentionaly. Thats what boggles trinity players the most as they cannot wrap their head around the concept of coordination and precision. And, as weve seen, they dont really wont get better they want to stay on lesser level of trinity, their comfort zone. To each their own.

The game world is awesome, if you are explorer theres nothing that even comes close (again, thats after beta testing ESO/WS). Theres myriad of hidden events, caves, dungeons that are off the beaten path that even if you played through the area few times you may come across something new you missed. POIs on map are just small sample of the whole.

You can level in different ways, ive leveled 4 characters in completely different way.

WvWvW is great, theres something for everyone, from solo roamer to small group to zerg, pick your map accordingly and go at it. Ive logged over thousand hours on it and it still didnt get old. Its currently best offering and it will stay so in the future.

sPvP is good fun, it failed as eSport but for a bit of ganking (and being ganked) its good.

The peeve i have with GW2 is thats a bit too much MMO, they concentrated on big events which usually end up with hundreds of players all the time and going at open world in solo/duo/trio is unrewarding, they should make roaming the gameworld at least in the same ballpark as big events as killing some giant boss over and over gets old very quick (as in any other MMO).

Also connected to that is ascended gear that was completely unnecessary and they will have to do something about it as it doesnt really fit the rest of the game.

Dungeons are dungeons, i see no difference than any other game as all dungeons started to look same to me long time ago, no matter the game. They are there for those who want to speed-grind them (as in any other game).

Crafting is so-so, not the best not the worst but still better than your average MMO.

In the end, GW2 was a breath of fresh air, it broke many molds and few people dont want their molds broken and thats ok, theres every other MMO out there (with very very few exceptions) that fit WoW mold for them.

And last, but not the least, theres no sub, whole game is open after initial purchase and it has broken that mold too as ti has one of the fastest update rates in the industry. Theres always something new to do.

• HexamusHexamus Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by neohero0001

Hey guys,

I think that GW2 and FF IV are the only two games i never played yet , GW2 looks great coz events features , but the problem is that every friend i´ve keepy saying bad things about GW2,  like the craft system is terrible or the PVE is a joke, i really want to buy the game but in every forum about MMO´s there lot of posts saying S hit about how the game fail in lot of things. 

Is it worth buy?  or should i go straight to FFIV ?   i like solo play and join small guilds without drama and big raids.

Hope that some GW2 vet can bring some "light" about end game and how PVE works.

If you're looking for a super casual MMORPG, GW2 is for you. By no means is it a bad game but it certainly does not stand up with the big boys of the MMORPG world. But unless you're looking to go super hardcore MMO gaming, GW2 is a great way to go. And with no monthly fee where can you go wrong?

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by evilastro

I would classify it as hard content that I had yet to complete, like challenge mode raids or dungeons.  Most games keep people hanging on until harder content is launched through gear treadmills, but there is always harder content on the horizon.

With GW2, there are fractals that keep getting harder, but its essentially the same dungeon and that gets boring after a while.  There hasn't been any new challenging content added since the fractals, which is a shame because GW1 had some super hard dungeons.

At any rate its a bit late now to change course, the players still left in the game are casual who enjoy the episodic content of the Living Story.  Since that is their playerbase now, they should continue to cater to them.

Well they have also added two super-difficult world bosses (Tequatl and Wurm) which require a coordinated group of 50+ people. Might not be your "thing" or maybe you already did those?

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689

Hey guys,

I think that GW2 and FF IV are the only two games i never played yet , GW2 looks great coz events features , but the problem is that every friend i´ve keepy saying bad things about GW2,  like the craft system is terrible or the PVE is a joke, i really want to buy the game but in every forum about MMO´s there lot of posts saying S hit about how the game fail in lot of things. 

Is it worth buy?  or should i go straight to FFIV ?   i like solo play and join small guilds without drama and big raids.

I enjoy GW2, to me it is actualy relaxing there is no massive grind. leveling from 1-80 if you know how takes about 3 days. but why rush it. There is no constant farming needed for endgame eather, i spend most my time helping new players and ofcorse RPing.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by tom_gore

I would classify it as hard content that I had yet to complete, like challenge mode raids or dungeons.  Most games keep people hanging on until harder content is launched through gear treadmills, but there is always harder content on the horizon.

With GW2, there are fractals that keep getting harder, but its essentially the same dungeon and that gets boring after a while.  There hasn't been any new challenging content added since the fractals, which is a shame because GW1 had some super hard dungeons.

At any rate its a bit late now to change course, the players still left in the game are casual who enjoy the episodic content of the Living Story.  Since that is their playerbase now, they should continue to cater to them.

Well they have also added two super-difficult world bosses (Tequatl and Wurm) which require a coordinated group of 50+ people. Might not be your "thing" or maybe you already did those?

I did actually come back and do those.  It was interesting and required coordination but it wasn't enough to keep me around.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Hey guys,

If you depend on other people's opinions to decide for you that something is worth it or not, you would be better off solving that issue first.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I tried to lvl 1-80, (gw2), was horible! I liked the pvp, but not for long!
    I like to support ppl, gw2 didnt let me the way I want! I miss the trinity!
    Wvw was also boring. I like the ava in eso tho.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by tom_gore

I did actually come back and do those.  It was interesting and required coordination but it wasn't enough to keep me around.

Alright it sounds like you either play a lot more than the average player or are just a much better player than most. I don't think you'll find real challenge in "AAA" MMO games. Maybe Wildstar? They claim they're bringing back the challenge of "old times".

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

GW2 offers insane amount of contend for its box price.
    But like any other mmo, once your reach that "snapping" point at classes and ablity's start feeling the same and you cant even play longer then 10 minutes before you just logout and had enough.

Still GW2 offered me many times my box price back with countless of hours of WvW and PVE.
    Maybe if GW2 had a trinity with tank / healer / dps it could have been my best mmo ever played, but it wasnt ment to be that way as Anet dint want to listen to me :(

FF ARR is also one heck of an mmo, it offers great value for you rmoney and its cheap compared to other sub based mmo's with box prices.
    I can raly recommend this mmo if you love to play the holy trinity setup with tank / healer / dps.
    Story is good, pvp is also added altough much has to be improved on that aspect, but still i can be fun !
    raiding / dungeons are realy nicely done, much better then GW2 if you ask me.

So its a hard decision wich you like more.

But you cant realy go wrong with any of those 2 i think :)

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184
    GW2 is well worth the box price.  In my opinion, it lacks longevity. but the leveling and exploration are worth the price of admission.  Once you finish your GW2 bucket list, the game does get old fast.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't jump in and try it.  The game has alot of good systems, and AAA content at a B2P price.

That is the thing about GW2, if you haven't gone to one of the other races starting areas, it will be a challenge, due to level scaling. That is a positive in my book.

I will say you don't understand the game or the player base. So what if it is casual, you say it like it is a disease or something. People have other things to do in their lives besides gaming, children, pets, family, etc.

I consider myself a hardcore gamer, I love gaming and GW2 gives me everything I need. Is it perfect, no it isn't. I haven't actually found a game that captures me more. ESO, the new darling of this forum, is a flash in the pan compared to GW2 - the reason being it is an ES in name only (it is a console game, single player, that went MMO on the PC port and then went back to console).

Originally posted by Lugors
    GW2 is well worth the box price.  In my opinion, it lacks longevity. but the leveling and exploration are worth the price of admission.  Once you finish your GW2 bucket list, the game does get old fast.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't jump in and try it.  The game has alot of good systems, and AAA content at a B2P price.

The game has been out almost 2 years now, I say that is longevity in the current MMO world.