Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Living Story Question

TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
Thinking about having another stab at GW2 to see whether I get on with it better, my question though is about the living story mechanic. Is this a one time event that continues at every step or could a returning player come to the game and take part in all they missed?

Comments

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Pretty much 99% of it are one time events sadly
  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Lokberg
    Pretty much 99% of it are one time events sadly

No, that number is fairly off.

For example, the fractal, aetherblade and tequatl patches just off the top of my head.  That's 3 out of 26 living story patches, so over 10% just from those three (There's more permanent content added besides those)

Also, all the holiday ones aren't one time, they're recurring.  That's Dragon Bash, Queen's Jubilee, Christmas, Halloween.... the one place with the winds I can't remember the name of because I'm sleepy  is also recurring, as is Super Adventure Box.  That's 6/26, or almost 25% of the content as reccuring.

And there's a lot things in patches that are added that stay, like all the QOL, a jumping puzzle, various events have been added.  So probably about 20% or so permanent additions to the game, 25% recurring, and 100% of the features are permanent stuff.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

thank you very much for answering, I was quite keen to get into the game and catch up on the story that was missed. I think i'll give it a go and see if I liked it. I left because I got a little bored with it to be honest, but I am up for trying again now some time has passed. 

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Tsumoro

thank you very much for answering, I was quite keen to get into the game and catch up on the story that was missed. I think i'll give it a go and see if I liked it. I left because I got a little bored with it to be honest, but I am up for trying again now some time has passed. 

Season 1 just finished, so there is not much Living Story to catch up atm...

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

There's not really any story left in the content that did make permanent changes, perhaps with the exception of the destruction of the main player hub and the residual story associated with it.  The Three-headed Wurm, new Tequatl, Aetherblade hideout, etc., won't hold any particular meaning to you, and the game itself won't provide it.  If you're not there when it happens, you don't get a second chance to experience the story.  Only the people that stay current with the game are entitled to the story as it was intended, and the unique rewards that come from it.  But you can read all about it all if you want, and watch some videos.  That's just as enjoyable as having played it, or so I've been told.

The good news is that you'd be coming in after Season 1, so you're not walking into the middle of anything and won't even know what you missed.