Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will there be a lack of healers?

-Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
Knowing how the old Elder Scrolls games are all solo I have a feeling there will be a serious lack of healers.  Especially since 50% of the playerbase may be new to the MMO scene.  This spells disaster for any PUG groups and will make even the worst organized guilds shine.  Please prove me wrong.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Comments

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Did you miss the beta?  There were healers everywhere.
  • timidobservertimidobserver Member UncommonPosts: 246
    No, there won't be a lack of healers. It won't be that hard at all for people to swap between heal and dps at will. 
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

you can be a healer and a dps/solo build.

that what i will be doing in fact.

• ManasongManasong Member Posts: 208
    During beta I saw people asking for tanks more often than healers.
  • GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Since everyone can be a healer by just using a restoration staff...no there won't be a lack of healers.

Originally posted by Giffen
    Since everyone can be a healer by just using a restoration staff...no there won't be a lack of healers.

how good of a healer can those people be? a melee with heavy or medium armor and the passives with no points in magicka will not be as good of a healer as a spell caster with points in magicka and at least some light armor passives.

at least not IMO. maybe they can still heal good enough for most the content? that i don't know.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Players who played primary healers in other MMO's will probably do the same in this one, just because they're use to it.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by baphamet

how good of a healer can those people be? a melee with heavy or medium armor and the passives with no points in magicka will not be as good of a healer as a spell caster with points in magicka and at least some light armor passives.

at least not IMO. maybe they can still heal good enough for most the content? that i don't know.

All class skills use magicka, so you can put a lot of points in magicka and use both DPS class skills and healing skills with the staff or Templar skill line.  

I plan on using 5 heavy and 2 light with my Templar. I should be able to get plenty of magicka with the passives from the staff if I use it as well as some from the light passives. I just have to decide if I want to go full healer or a mix. Will have to see how it goes.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• Mayor_HaggarMayor_Haggar Member Posts: 12
    I played a healer in many MMOs but ESO will be the first time that I do not main a healer, quite simply DPS felt a million times more fun than healing in this particular MMO, but to each his own.  
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

From what I've seen, there's plenty of healers because the combat model doesn't penalize players too harshly for taking on roles/responsibilities. 

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally posted by artemisentr4
    Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by Giffen Since everyone can be a healer by just using a restoration staff...no there won't be a lack of healers.
      how good of a healer can those people be? a melee with heavy or medium armor and the passives with no points in magicka will not be as good of a healer as a spell caster with points in magicka and at least some light armor passives. at least not IMO. maybe they can still heal good enough for most the content? that i don't know.
    All class skills use magicka, so you can put a lot of points in magicka and use both DPS class skills and healing skills with the staff or Templar skill line.  

I plan on using 5 heavy and 2 light with my Templar. I should be able to get plenty of magicka with the passives from the staff if I use it as well as some from the light passives. I just have to decide if I want to go full healer or a mix. Will have to see how it goes.

yeah if you put points into magicka but stamina is still your priority stat as a melee, at least IMO.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Given the holy trinity yes there will be lack of tanks and healers. Doesn't matter if you can swap builds what matters is that players are willing to have a healer and tank build.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

I think there will be a lack of Support Healers....   meaning Tank/healers,  and Dps/healers.  Main healers will be hard to find, but having that second support healer will be harder to find due to the new system of grouping.  Most  people will not understand the importance of a support healer for group success when they first make their characters.

I plan on being a dps / healer just for this reason.   Every healer in game will want me on their friend list.

• ReticulataReticulata Member UncommonPosts: 98

I found healing to be pretty bland in this game with only 5 active hotkeys. I normally only play full support healer, but will probably end up hybridizing with DPS in order to prevent becoming 100% bored healing, especially in pvp.

In the past, I have counted, on average, at least 25 active ability hotkeys for my healers in other mmos.

On the plus side, you do not become totally entranced staring at health bars for hours on end. You have more time to actually look at your screen and react to what is going on around you, graphically.

SOE changes name to Daybreak games, cause dey break games.
  • Aliantha_AngelAliantha_Angel Member UncommonPosts: 225
    There can't be a shortage of healers.  I'll be one, that's enough for everyone!
  • Jaychi72Jaychi72 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Manasong

^   

This game was, imo designed so you can heal yourself. People will be more than happy to put a point or two or three into a heal for PvE or PvP.

Dedicated tank with points in the necessary spots will be hard to find. Why would I bring a sword and board to PvP?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Jaychi72

^   

This game was, imo designed so you can heal yourself. People will be more than happy to put a point or two or three into a heal for PvE or PvP.

Dedicated tank with points in the necessary spots will be hard to find. Why would I bring a sword and board to PvP?

People feel tank is the most responsible function in MMo´s...... most people dont like feeling responsible for others...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Nope.  There will be plenty of them.  My main will be an off-healer melee type.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Jaychi72

^   

Hopefully you aren't in charge of leading PvP raids for your guild..

Having a few good tanks to soak up damage and push the front line can be the difference between winning and losing.  The same can be be said for holding a choke point in a keep.  They will be even more valuable if collision makes it into PvP.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Just because people can, doesn't mean they will. In RIFT, for instance, all a mage had to do to be a healer was switch their spec (literally didn't even need to switch gear for the most part), yet there were plenty of mages who I would see sit in dungeon queues for an hour because they weren't willing to heal, which would have got them into a group in five minutes or less most of the time.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by baphamet

how good of a healer can those people be? a melee with ...

There are no melee in ESO...

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I think we will see a lot of secondary healers which will be enough to sustain. I don't think the game is designed for your traditional tank and spank with someone just standing there healing. I could be wrong though but that would seem so against the spirit of the skill system.

• SpawnbladeSpawnblade Member UncommonPosts: 204
    If the stat cap stays the same, everyone will be able to do everything equally well, at least if they want to be optimized.
  • HoofzHoofz Member Posts: 12
    I personally will be a dedicated healer, as i heal in all games i play.  DPS is only a means to level :)

Playing: D3-RoS, ESO, part-time WoW
    Played: Defiance, FF:RR, Tera, Ultima Online, GW2, EQ1, Diablo1-3.

• No, but there will likely be a lack of good healers.