Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why ppl keeping saying " stay away from this game" ?

neohero0001neohero0001 Member Posts: 25

Hey guys,

I think that GW2 and FF IV are the only two games i never played yet , GW2 looks great coz events features , but the problem is that every friend i´ve keepy saying bad things about GW2,  like the craft system is terrible or the PVE is a joke, i really want to buy the game but in every forum about MMO´s there lot of posts saying S hit about how the game fail in lot of things. 

Is it worth buy?  or should i go straight to FFIV ?   i like solo play and join small guilds without drama and big raids.

Hope that some GW2 vet can bring some "light" about end game and how PVE works.

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

If your reasons for playing MMO's are truly as listed, I'd recommend GW2 over FFXIV by a long shot because your tastes are very similar to how I'd describe my own.  Terrible crafting?  That's debatable, crafting is easy and fast if you have the mats, but if you want Ascended gear (the highest level of gear available), I think you're time-locked, I don't remember.  Easy PvE?  Maybe if people are zerging an event.  Otherwise, you can and will be killed a lot in GW2 and even moreso in dungeons.  Explorable dungeons aren't easy.  Well maybe to someone, but no one I've played with in randoms.  Soloing was usually rewarding to me.

FFXIV is a good looking game and that's about all I can say in its favor.  SQ-E hasn't made a good FF in years in my opinion.  I bought it and took a chance and it was a huge waste of money and one of my only MMO regrets in recent years.  I play a game for combat and the combat in FFXIV is not fun to me.  You hardly move, there's a lot of casting time, etc.  Someone else may have more info on the crafting, I almost never bother with crafting until I have a max level character in a game.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    For every fan/player that tells you "yes", you should get GW2 there will be a non-fan or non-player that will tell you to "stay away".  If I was you I would just flip a coin.  Biased opinions for either side will most likely not make the best decision for you.  Only you can do that as long as you do a little fact finding about the game on your own.  Good luck.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

I just bought into FFO, and it's not bad so far.  I agree with the previous poster though.  I'm still going to level through and try to enjoy the game.  I think it will grow on me as I meet people and explore more, but I'm taking it slow.

I bought GW2 immediately.  I loved it.  I got into a big guild, power-leveled (really unintentionally) through WvW to 80 and had a great time.  I've tried to go back a few times, but it just feels too easy with my 80.  I was trying 100% maps and jumping puzzles, etc., but the combat felt repetitive, and the world was vacant compared to the first six months or so of the game.  Betwen the two, having only been in FFO about two weeks, I prefer GW2.  I really think I need to go in and delete my main, so I'm forced to play through to 80 properly.

I won't do this until I've given FFO a fair shake (a month).  The nice thing about GW2 is that it's always there waiting for me.  I don't feel pressure to play because I have a monthly fee going toward it.  I'd also recommend watching some people on Twitch or YouTube who are doing play-throughs, so you can see what you like about both.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227

I couldn't believe how bad the PvE was in a group environment. At first I thought we were doing something wrong, not understanding how the game was supposed to be played... later we found out that we were doing exactly as the game was meant to be played. If you want to experience the worst joke in the entire history of mmo's or any game really, give GW2s group PVE a try.

Crafting is bad, I'll leave it at that.

PvP  is alright, I won't lie to bring this game down. Its different, fun in its own way.

The game world is impressive, there were times when I just had to stop and look in wonder.

The story was awful, but once again the world was amazing and the things you could do in it made up for it.

Originally posted by rodingo
    For every fan/player that tells you "yes", you should get GW2 there will be a non-fan or non-player that will tell you to "stay away".  If I was you I would just flip a coin.  Biased opinions for either side will most likely not make the best decision for you.  Only you can do that as long as you do a little fact finding about the game on your own.  Good luck.

Good advice, I wish they were both F2P's so I could say "go download them right now and try them".  Unfortunately GW2 does its free trials only once in a while and the same probably goes for FFXIV.  Still, you can play both before committing (if you're patient).  Sadly, I wasn't.

• obake90obake90 Member Posts: 60
    Save your money and buy ESO
  • IskenderIskender Member Posts: 10
    For your playstyle I would definitely recommend it.  Granted, the game gets pretty boring pretty quickly at 80 since they figured disposing of meaningful ways of progression for your character at level cap was a good idea.  With that said, the game looks great (though why they haven't implemented a way to turn down/off particle effects is beyond me), the combat is pretty fun and it's definitely worth the cost.  Just bear in mind that the PvE in the game is basically garbage atm with the current meta and the game desperately needs a loot 2.0 a la Diablo 3.  I realize that this is a pipe dream with how the current game systems are implemented but one can always dream
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I cant read very good, but what is ffo?

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    I don't see crafting in FFXIV as being superior to crafting in gw2.  I mean sure you get a nice minigame but all the almost all the items you make are useless compared to even entry level dungeon gear.  Games like WoW have crafted gems/enchants enhancements that make crafting relevant even if you don't use crafted gear, there is none of that in FFXIV so crafting despite taking far longer to level is far less useful than it is in WoW.
    Originally posted by strawhat0981

Yeah they're using a different acronym since the last time I visited these forums a lot.  They mean Final Fantasy 14, but I guess they're calling it Final Fantasy Online now.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

It's like this.

When a game is great or good and doing well then the haters hate just a little more, for example I could start a thread about how great world of warcraft is and 80% of my replys would be negative, people telling me how bad the game is and so on, yet 8 million people love it.

It's the same with GW2. I have played most mmos that are big like wow, swtor, final fantasy, TSW and the list goes on. 

I can say this is you try GW2 and like it then you will play this game for along time, it's huge. They have everything good PVE awesome PVP.

In Gw2 most events happends in the open world and not in dungeons and thats why there are usually Zerges. But then again when you are in a boss fight that requires 150 ppl to kill it, lets just say it would be tough to do in a 5 man party.

People think that GW2 is easy and yeah sure it could be if you want it to be, the game is very solo friendly. You can to smaller events, your story line or fill som hearts (smarter quest hub but basiclly the same thing.

Crafting is something that's easy to get to max lvl when you have the materials for it but it's a grindy or expensive to make the really good stuff.

In pvp you have the standard battlegrounds like 10 vs10 something or tournaments 5 vs 5 (I think) and it's fun, I haven't played it that much yet. You also have WvW which is a battle between 3 servers or keeps and stuff and thats really fun.

I have so much more to say but my break is over at work so I leave you with this.

Buy it, doesn't cost much, big playerbase, no sub, you never have to buy anything in cash shop still get everything, If you like you won't be playing any other game in a long time.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Yeah they're using a different acronym since the last time I visited these forums a lot.  They mean Final Fantasy 14, but I guess they're calling it Final Fantasy Online now.

Really haha, its like one letter different. 

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• neohero0001neohero0001 Member Posts: 25

Thanks Guys.... I´ll give GW2 a try and just let FFIV behind now, since i didn´t like FF XI .  

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Really haha, its like one letter different. 

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Online is the game to which I was referring.  I suppose you could also read it as A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV Online, if you choose to read from top-to-bottom on the game launcher window.  Some people say F.F. XIV or F.F.  I figured since the OP had mentioned the game (albeit incorrectly), that I'd throw caution to the wind and put F.F.O.  It was mostly laziness, for I am not a fan of acronyms in my work life, but they still surround us.  I also notice many people don't properly punctuate acronyms with periods on these forums, and it really tears me up --I try to let it slide.

;P

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Because no ENDGAME and is boring after max lvl
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by neohero0001

Thanks Guys.... I´ll give GW2 a try and just let FFIV behind now, since i didn´t like FF XI .  

I never played FFXI, but from what Ive heard 14 is nothing like 11.  FF14 is more akin to the traditional WoW themepark/trinity model with a Job system.

GW2 is good, but I didnt like the lack of trinity, or clear group roles, so it didnt click long term.  Not to mention I always felt I was holding my groups back by playing a necromancer, and not a warrior/guardian.  Dont get me wrong, its a very well made game, but, to me it feels like PvE balancing was sacrificed for PvP balancing, and since im mainly PvE, thats no good for me.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I found GW2 fun for a few months.  The only problem I had with it was that it lacked longevity.  My character had 100% world completion and the best gear at the time.  I know you can grind ascended now, but that isn't enough to bring me back.  Ultimately the PvP wasn't fun enough for me to stick around for like GW1 was, but the world was definitely worth exploring for the first time.

FFXIV I found incredibly boring.  The combat and questing were really dull.

Each to their own though, some people love those games.

GW2 is worth buying in my opinion, even if you only play through once.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

If you like solo content and relaxed group content, GW2 is easily worth the box price, no matter how you look at it. You can also take your own pace through the content without worrying of running out of the "30 days free" playtime.

Personally, I still love GW2 although I take breaks from it every now and then. FFXIV on the other hand I got bored of in a day.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

GW2 was a solid investment for me. I treat it as my "Go back to" game. It's not really good enough to keep me playing day in and day out every day for months if not years. But I love the game itself and I can play it for a month or two in stints. Play something else for a couple months, then come back to GW2.

There are some downsides though.

The game's reward system is bad. You don't get rewarded well for doing harder content. Rewards are RNG based and you get luck of the draw...usually bad luck of the draw. It makes for some particularly nasty grinding and sifting through boatloads of unwanted stuff until you get something decent. 

The economy is bad. There is very little in the game that has any real value.

The crafting system itself isn't bad. I rather like it. However, there is little reason to ever do it outside of using it as a means to level a character. It's become a means to "buy" levels using gold and/or gems. Well, now there is ascended gear that you need crafting for. Another MASSIVE grind. I don't mind such a grind, but the "payoff" for having done it isn't really there.

And finally, my biggest issue with GW2 is that each time I return from some time off. (Last time was my 3rd) The game has had an increased focus on the cash shop. The best armor skins, if that's what you are into, are found there while no new sets are added to dungeons. They promised "Items of convenience". They stayed true to that. But I they have intentionally diminished my game experience in order to create a desire for their convenience. With Lion's Arch removed from the game, there are no longer zones available that have all the facilities and amenities that players need that aren't behind paywalls now. Pretty crappy move IMO. While right now, it's not a game breaker, it's a trend I don't like. and could change my mind in the future.

NOTE: None of my issues. currently,  are deal breakers, they are just points of contention. GW2 is still worth playing

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Unfortunately the group play is pretty poorly done. The downleveling also means you can't really have much fun solo. I mean in most games if you are solo and bored you can go blow up a dungeon a few levels lower than you to have a little challenge and see something different. The PvP is total zerg based and just isn't much fun at all.

GW2 has a ton of good parts to it but a lot of the core design decisions ruined the game.

• jigo86jigo86 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    cant hold me is kinda boring 
  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Ender4

Unfortunately the group play is pretty poorly done. The downleveling also means you can't really have much fun solo. I mean in most games if you are solo and bored you can go blow up a dungeon a few levels lower than you to have a little challenge and see something different. The PvP is total zerg based and just isn't much fun at all.

GW2 has a ton of good parts to it but a lot of the core design decisions ruined the game.

?

Lots of people go solo dungeons and bosses.  People even do speed runs like it.  You can find videos on Youtube of people doing stuff like that.

You just have to be a really good player, not just good stats.  I guess the complaint could be that being really powerful at high level is only an option if you're good at running a build.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by davc123

and what is this  ENDGAME everyone is talking about?

every single post that bash the game have NO ENDGAME thingy in it but doesnt say anything more than that

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by saurus123

every single post that bash the game have NO ENDGAME thingy in it but doesnt say anything more than that

I would classify it as hard content that I had yet to complete, like challenge mode raids or dungeons.  Most games keep people hanging on until harder content is launched through gear treadmills, but there is always harder content on the horizon.

With GW2, there are fractals that keep getting harder, but its essentially the same dungeon and that gets boring after a while.  There hasn't been any new challenging content added since the fractals, which is a shame because GW1 had some super hard dungeons.

At any rate its a bit late now to change course, the players still left in the game are casual who enjoy the episodic content of the Living Story.  Since that is their playerbase now, they should continue to cater to them.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Originally posted by saurus123

Pretty much the content at max level currently is stale and not very interesting.

All current "end game" content such as dungeons and fractals are either over or approaching a year old. Your mileage may vary for World vs World and S/TPvP how ever.

Relying on content lite "living world" updates that are really nothing more than thinly veiled advertisements for the gem shop; including updates steering you towards the trading post (due to Arena Net's anti-farm stance) and encouraging you to purchase gems to convert them to gold.

For the initial purchase how ever. Guild Wars 2 is quite worth the play through. Despite its various flaws.