Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

API Changes Strawpoll

JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

http://strawpoll.me/1346912/

I did not make it. Just posting it here so it can have more diverse votes.

Comments

• hannibalektrhannibalektr Member Posts: 57

If the commentor had not repeated himself 100 times it would have been a really great but short video.

Yes I am keeping  my pre-purchase.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I'm happy with the API changes but it wouldn't have affected my decision to preorder either way.

There Is Always Hope!

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Actually the latest patch changed 2 main reasons i preordered into two main reasons i would avoid a game. How in the world can a company change stuff THIS hard, so short before release?!

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'm very happy about the API changes regarding display of "other player" info, but less happy about the restrictions on own info.

That said, I'd rather they launch with the restricted info and loosen it up later. Perhaps they need to re-code the API calls to make the supplied info more character-specific.

Seeing my own short-term buff/debuff states is quite desirable, unless there is a fairly obvious ingame effect that tells me what I need to know by simply looking at my character.

• AvulAvul Member Posts: 196
    I love the changes! We'll see if they have to adjust some things like own buffs or de-buffs but it's the right direction in my eyes. I never liked games where you basically play the UI more than the game itself (i.e. WoW).

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Originally posted by nttajira
    Originally posted by zelaex
    I love the changes! We'll see if they have to adjust some things like own buffs or de-buffs but it's the right direction in my eyes. I never liked games where you basically play the UI more than the game itself (i.e. WoW).

10+ milion people tell you they dont think the same

but hey you guys are more vocal so go for it and remove all add-on and features and go your ghostgame town and f2p all over again....

casual mmorpg love add-on and features...

10 million people do not use addons.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    The only thing I really wanted to mod in the interface is to be able to see what you loot with autoloot. Everything else is just gravy I can live without.
  • ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Originally posted by Thornrage
    Originally posted by zelaex

but hey you guys are more vocal so go for it and remove all add-on and features and go your ghostgame town and f2p all over again....

10 million people do not use addons.

most people when i was playing do use them

but yeah not 10million but you should get it ??!!

Yeah I get it. I haven't had my coffee this morning. Well atleast, that is the excuse for my useless reply.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• AvulAvul Member Posts: 196

And because 10+ million people love WoW Zenimax should copy it or what are saying there? I'd prefer ESO as a more "niche-MMO" when it's heading in the right direction than as a mainstream UI-playing game like WoW. But hey.. that's just my opinion.

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    Not being able to see our own buffs is stupid. its not like we can't see them already. Its just that to see them you have to open your character sheet which is something you are stupid to do in combat. All I want to be able to do is see them in combat.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Addons open up a whole new level of play for people willing to use it.
    World of Warcraft has a modding community bigger then most mmo's have as subscribers.

Its a big part of Elders Scrolls and anyone who ever played Skyrim without mods will tell you how sup par Skyrim is.....
    But toss in some addons and the game totaly changes into a godlike expirience.

I dont have a crystal ball, but man i have a feeling that some guys at the top are shooting their left leg off.

Each and every mmo that launched with a box and sub has not lived to tell the story of WoW.
    They all went free to play, and basicly ESO will follow that same path.....

A game with RIDICULOUS production costs heading the same route that SWTOR went....

bad marketing decisions /check
    bad ui decisions /check
    bad animations /check
    bad addon support /check
    bad gameplay decisions /check

Havent those studio's learned from recent mmo launches ?

They just nerfed the shit out of mob / exploration playstyle with nerfing the already bad exp further into the ground....
    Last minute API adjustments to kill of good addon support....
    That were in beta for the longest of time no less !

I hope for their sake they are doing good, but i wont give a single fack if they fail harder then SWTOR.
    They basicly did it themselves instead of looking what needs to be changed to launch a good mmo.
    On par with 2014 standards of mmo design.

Choices.......instead of taken those away.

At one point i was close to buying it as some friends lured me into beta, but i sure as hell wont support this abomination in the mmo genre.
    Way to many mistakes to piss off their players.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by HighMarshal
    Not being able to see our own buffs is stupid. its not like we can't see them already. Its just that to see them you have to open your character sheet which is something you are stupid to do in combat. All I want to be able to do is see them in combat.

This seems more like a requested (light work) fix than an idea of their own. You might see an addition like that if enough ask for it. What they did here was level the playing field ( at least they're attempting to). They don't want only one segment of players having this info and the rest not.

WIth everything going on right now as far as real issues that effect the main experience of the game, I doubt reworking their UI 2 weeks before headstart would be a smart move.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by Distopia

This seems more like a requested (light work) fix than an idea of their own. You might see an addition like that if enough ask for it. What they did here was level the playing field ( at least they're attempting to). They don't want only one segment of players having this info and the rest not.

WIth everything going on right now as far as real issues that effect the main experience of the game, I doubt reworking their UI 2 weeks before headstart would be a smart move.

What segment of players did not have access to the addons to provide this information?

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Okay, so seriously..this is not that big a deal one way or the other??!!  QQ more....

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Lugors
    Originally posted by Distopia

What segment of players did not have access to the addons to provide this information?

Anyone who doesn't want to have to resort to third party apps that changes the core experience the developers created, who want to play as it was intended?

There was obviously enough people who wanted this change for them to act on it. SO I would assume the majority who offered feedback would be the segment you're looking for.

They're not going to bother with changes like this unless they feel there's enough people who are against what they had in place. There's nothing they gain from it as developers.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Are these changes to the default UI, or just the modding?  Because if it's just the modding, good.  Players with mods shouldn't have a tactical advantage forcing everyone to use a particular set of mods to be competitive.  Players should stop being so dependent on indicators and look at the game world to play the game.

If it's a change to the UI itself, so a player can't see their own debuffs, I'm not sure if that's good or bad.  If the player sees the effects (like being on fire), so they can respond in some way, or maybe the screen has red or black blotches around the edge when the player is poisoned, etc. so they can respond, then fine.  If the player's health just starts going down, with no indication of why, that might not be so cool.  That may in fact be very bad.

Can anyone answer that question?  Is this just a mod change, or is this a default UI change in addition to the mod change?

Also, it's an incredibly lame comparison between the mods possible with ES games, and the mods that were possible with ESO.  People were rewriting huge percentages of the ES games with mods, updating textures and game play for an entire game.  Losing the ability to gain a tactical advantage against anyone not using mods is a minimal loss compared to not being able to mod ESO in the way that ES games have been modded in the past.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• soulmirrorsoulmirror Member UncommonPosts: 124

In the end, all the polls, QQ, counter QQ and so on mean nothing.  All that matters is voting with your wallet, I will admit that Zen has been responsive to their own gathered feedback, but very little else.

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

I wont be getting the game any time soon until its future is a little more clear (with its shop and player retention) but even I can see the change is a good thing. Addons doing too much is always a bad thing. They should be for basics like UI, chat, arranging information better or making it more easily accessible.

Macro and combat addons should never be allowed, nor should they give critical information like what buffs, spells players are using nor tell you who is attacking you.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Addons open up a whole new level of play for people willing to use it.
    World of Warcraft has a modding community bigger then most mmo's have as subscribers.

Its a big part of Elders Scrolls and anyone who ever played Skyrim without mods will tell you how sup par Skyrim is.....
    But toss in some addons and the game totaly changes into a godlike expirience.

I dont have a crystal ball, but man i have a feeling that some guys at the top are shooting their left leg off.

Each and every mmo that launched with a box and sub has not lived to tell the story of WoW.
    They all went free to play, and basicly ESO will follow that same path.....

A game with RIDICULOUS production costs heading the same route that SWTOR went....

bad marketing decisions /check
    bad ui decisions /check
    bad animations /check
    bad addon support /check
    bad gameplay decisions /check

Havent those studio's learned from recent mmo launches ?

They just nerfed the shit out of mob / exploration playstyle with nerfing the already bad exp further into the ground....
    Last minute API adjustments to kill of good addon support....
    That were in beta for the longest of time no less !

I hope for their sake they are doing good, but i wont give a single fack if they fail harder then SWTOR.
    They basicly did it themselves instead of looking what needs to be changed to launch a good mmo.
    On par with 2014 standards of mmo design.

Choices.......instead of taken those away.

At one point i was close to buying it as some friends lured me into beta, but i sure as hell wont support this abomination in the mmo genre.
    Way to many mistakes to piss off their players.

Do you have any numbers to your fist claim/first sentence?..........No you don't.

Add-ons in a single player game only affect the single player. Add-ons in MMOs become mandatory for everyone. You can say it doesn't all you want but the side effect of mods like in WoW is they are mandatory and player enforced.

• NorewonNorewon Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Happy with the API changes, the add-ons were getting out of hand
  • RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Why is having a choice considered bad? Why is having vital information considered bad? I mean... comon'... your own buff duration is hidden for what reason exactly?

I know we have to please "console players" and "single player" - types, but this is marketed as a MMO for gods sake. Not being able to compare skills since you can not even see how much damage you do, uhm.

Then there is the story i like most. A highlevel Dungeon has a boss that debuffs you. Every step you do ups the damage of said debuff. Funny if you don't even know you are debuffed in the first place lol. Really guys.... this went overboard so crazy it's not even funny. You know, there is more then black and white.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Rattenmann

Why is having a choice considered bad? Why is having vital information considered bad? I mean... comon'... your own buff duration is hidden for what reason exactly?

I know we have to please "console players" and "single player" - types, but this is marketed as a MMO for gods sake. Not being able to compare skills since you can not even see how much damage you do, uhm.

Then there is the story i like most. A highlevel Dungeon has a boss that debuffs you. Every step you do ups the damage of said debuff. Funny if you don't even know you are debuffed in the first place lol. Really guys.... this went overboard so crazy it's not even funny. You know, there is more then black and white.

But that wasn't what caused the problem was it ?.... What happened was folks watched a group of people using FTC in AvA tearing up their opponents ,laughing and having a great old time and never failing to point out how weak and gimped the opponents were ,hell they even called out when to block and when to interrupt . Fast forward to the present like everything in real life the pendulum swings both ways a selfish few asshats managed to cause an effect that ruins the add-on experience for everyone . There is more then black and white but when an elitist few rubs salt into an open wound they shouldn't  be surprised when the silent majority responds and the developers in turn take the ball and run with it

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

All I can say is I subscribed to all those elite pvpers twitch streams to watch them own face like they did in the beta. ;P

I will also be waiting to read those lucious pro pvp guides they will post as well.

• timidobservertimidobserver Member UncommonPosts: 246
    I am honestly surprised that makes no difference to me doesn't have more votes. It amazes me that so many people care about this one way or another. 
  • vzerovvzerov Member Posts: 125
    So i guess players who want to know at least buffs and debuffs duration from whatever sources are the majority, not minority who just speak louder. while the opposite might be true from what i saw.