Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Strongholds to Launch in August

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Bioware and the Star Wars: The Old Republic team have begun to release information about the forthcoming Galactic Strongholds digital expansion. Galactic Strongholds is the update that will feature player housing and guild flagships. Subscribers will have access to the expansion in late June, Preferred Access players in late July, with everyone gaining access in early- to mid-August.

• Acquire Customizable Strongholds

• Live on Multiple Planets

• Launch Your Guild Flagship

• Invite Your Friends

• Get Legacy Stronghold Storage

• And much more!

Players must have an active subscription by May 11th to get the earliest access to Galactic Strongholds.

Find out more on the Star Wars: The Old Republic site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Well I was wondering if it would have about as much personalization as our starships have (none). So Im happy there is something...although we'll see how much depth they actually allow us to play with.

What would really be nice if our companions were there also, and NOT locked into static positions.

I man would Kaliyo be leaning against the bulkhead outside of the sleeping quarters from level 8-50ish never moving...

I'd like to see them have some kind of basic pathing and object interaction. Like sitting, typing on a console, looking at a vid screen, playing wookie chess. Something, anything, would be better than the nothing that they do now.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Hokie

Well I was wondering if it would have about as much personalization as our starships have (none). So Im happy there is something...although we'll see how much depth they actually allow us to play with.

What would really be nice if our companions were there also, and NOT locked into static positions.

I man would Kaliyo be leaning against the bulkhead outside of the sleeping quarters from level 8-50ish never moving...

I'd like to see them have some kind of basic pathing and object interaction. Like sitting, typing on a console, looking at a vid screen, playing wookie chess. Something, anything, would be better than the nothing that they do now.

It sounds like what you are asking for is still essentially nothing, it's just nothing in motion instead of nothing standing still.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Originally posted by Hokie

It sounds like what you are asking for is still essentially nothing, it's just nothing in motion instead of nothing standing still.

Well Im hoping there would be dialog interactions.

But yeah, this all just virtual nothing given weight in our own minds.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Player housing is little more than fluff in most games.  They would be better off adding to the ships than creating a new area for players to just look at and walk around in.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by syntax42
    Player housing is little more than fluff in most games.  They would be better off adding to the ships than creating a new area for players to just look at and walk around in.

It can add to the game... but I doubt they would add player housing in such a way that it would make it more meaningful to exploration and complentionists for pve/pvp/raids by making collectilbles part of the decoration or some other inclusion of mini games collected from playing the game.

It will probably be some reorganization of furniture. Its not bad... but its bad if it took away from them developing other things rather than being a simple addition for them to develop. 

Swtor always tried to give the impression of being original and doing things their own way... but sometimes they need to just take good ideas and put them into their game. Since how is just having player housing so that it merely exists any better than not taking from other games that more functional player housing systems? At the end of the day, video gamers will see what is on the market and compare and that will set thier perception on meeting certain stanadards rather than being different and having less.

I wish they could develop more... rather than these small expansions. Its nice that they are free... but the only thing that seems worthwhile in this expansion is development towards guilds... but whats the point of the guild if a person is not enjoying the content or the game? For me its the unbalanced feel of combat with the classes. And it seems to be in toher games as well that have healing classes. 

Why do developers make healing classes the most imba class? All classes function towards pvp, or rather about damage over time. Tank, healer, damage dealer are really all the same function in pvp but different approaches. So why make any fucntion more imba than the other when they are the same, and should have mechanics that balance damage over time as the same?

If they cant make them the same, then its because they cant have trinities. Rogues are too much of a surprise with high burst, and so they balance it by making certain classes imba... but then the rogue is no longer a rogue and depends on 3 rogues on one healer to play the role of one rogue.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• EpiconEpicon Member Posts: 121

I only played this game, for the class stories. I know for a MMO, this is the wrong approach to build your game around, without MMO elements. So after a few classes leveled (I had fun playing it as a single player), the generic end game, and pretty much it being WoW in space, I quit after 3 months due to WoW fatigue.

However, I tried to go back, for the two so called "Expansions", one was a planet addon, that felt like something part of an expansion, the other was a spaceship mini game, that should have been part of one as well. They didn't feel like expansions, more like patches. Not bad by any means, but certainly only expansions by name.

This seems to be in the same mold, interesting, but more of a patch addon, rather than a expansion.

The system they have in place, the subs/free to play, might make money, but it's terrible. Subscription payers, almost have to pay for cartel coins on top on their subscription, which is pretty bad.

Also Bioware said, class stories are over, as are the companion's stories. That their stories have been told and the class stories finished, which is pretty much PR talk for, they don't have the funding to continue with them. I'd love for this not to be the case, and to be wrong. It's the main reason I have not gone back, with the exception to check out the "expansions".

If they announce PVE elements, and class stories/companion stories. I could be back, until then, no thanks. Sure many others feel the same way. Loved the 100 hours of the ESO beta I put in, and have my eye on Wildstar as well (probably won't pre order but hope it does well). So even if they do, add what they haven't in two years, I probably wouldn't be back anyway. Only so much time, and some really good MMOs, coming out this year and next.

"What tastes like purple?"

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181
    so just wondering any new races or classes for their second expansion? just wanting to know as i have been out of the loop on this game for a bit
  • Originally posted by Incomparable
    Originally posted by syntax42

It can add to the game... but I doubt they would add player housing in such a way that it would make it more meaningful to exploration and complentionists for pve/pvp/raids by making collectilbles part of the decoration or some other inclusion of mini games collected from playing the game.

It will probably be some reorganization of furniture. Its not bad... but its bad if it took away from them developing other things rather than being a simple addition for them to develop. 

they will have tropies you can earn and place within your stronghol.

http://www.swtor.com/galactic-strongholds

Customize Your Strongholds

Display trophies earned in battle, craft state-of-the-art furniture, and unlock all-new rewards across the game. Then customize your Strongholds with hundreds of unique decorations to express your personal style.

it is believed that the golden statue of karagga the hutt is earned from his op.  you can also see a big statue and huge skull there as well which could also be trophies

• Originally posted by Shamorau
    so just wondering any new races or classes for their second expansion? just wanting to know as i have been out of the loop on this game for a bit

no new races have been announced.  no new classes either

• heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    :D
  • heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    this is a nice update! guild ship! nicee
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I'm constantly split between playing Wow and Swtor, two best games ever .... but what I miss is some kind of TRUE expansion, at least like Makeb would do, better if new i.e. 10 levels, more new worlds, class storyline (sorely missed from Makeb), ....

• HexamusHexamus Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by troick
    Originally posted by Epicon

I only played this game, for the class stories. I know for a MMO, this is the wrong approach to build your game around, without MMO elements. So after a few classes leveled (I had fun playing it as a single player), the generic end game, and pretty much it being WoW in space, I quit after 3 months due to WoW fatigue.

However, I tried to go back, for the two so called "Expansions", one was a planet addon, that felt like something part of an expansion, the other was a spaceship mini game, that should have been part of one as well. They didn't feel like expansions, more like patches. Not bad by any means, but certainly only expansions by name.

This seems to be in the same mold, interesting, but more of a patch addon, rather than a expansion.

The system they have in place, the subs/free to play, might make money, but it's terrible. Subscription payers, almost have to pay for cartel coins on top on their subscription, which is pretty bad.

Also Bioware said, class stories are over, as are the companion's stories. That their stories have been told and the class stories finished, which is pretty much PR talk for, they don't have the funding to continue with them. I'd love for this not to be the case, and to be wrong. It's the main reason I have not gone back, with the exception to check out the "expansions".

If they announce PVE elements, and class stories/companion stories. I could be back, until then, no thanks. Sure many others feel the same way. Loved the 100 hours of the ESO beta I put in, and have my eye on Wildstar as well (probably won't pre order but hope it does well). So even if they do, add what they haven't in two years, I probably wouldn't be back anyway. Only so much time, and some really good MMOs, coming out this year and next.

Yeah "you know" this is the wrong approach ?  No mmo elements?  

Ok first "you know this is the wrong approach for YOU".  To try and make it seem you are the know all of mmos is a little silly.  It's understandable not everyone will enjoy their model which is fine but the fact tor is the 2nd or 3rd most popular western mmo proves you really "don't know much"

So how exactly am I forced as a sub to buy cartel points?  Everything is in the GTN, I can buy everything with in game currency that's in the cartel.  I have no credit limit so again how exactly am I forced to buy cartel coins ?  By the time the housing comes I will get 2000 for subbing plus an additional 1500 for being a sub on top of my already banked cc.  Yeah they really force us subs to buy them.  

Now for the no mmo elements?  You mean elements like...

guilds?

gtn?

trading with other players?

crafting items for your guild and friends or to sell the items?

running heroics with others as you level?

taking down world bosses?

ops?

FP?

daily areas with guild mates or friends?

datacrons that require more than one person?

etc

etc

yeah seems like you really have no idea.  

Or, perhaps to him all those things are so subpar (which they are) that they almost seem non existent. I personally love SWOTOR but I love it for the story. To me everything else is pretty dull. Nothing worth paying monthly for. 

Of course some might disagree and that's fine. Just try and think that others might not feel that way. All about perspective.