Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prefered combat style.

Curious about the general thoughts on combat style.

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    action combat like that in D3 with physical effects (like collision detection & blocking, slow time, cc, use of terrain, and so on).
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

If i could choose then it would be fps style action combat.. or thrid person. Also I would have it so your attacks do NOT root you to the spot..

• rodriguezanrodriguezan Member Posts: 2
    Monster hunter combat system
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

Favorite: Tactical turn-based where I control between 4 and 10 units is my favorite. (E.g. Disgaea or Dofus when playing a summoner class)

2nd Favorite: Action RPG where the basic controls are biting/clawing/jumping or punching/kicking/jumping and I can map spells/skills to gamepad buttons, as well as equipping build modifications, like armored skin or wings or a projectile attack. (Like Tokyo Jungle crossed with Golden Axe.  Not so much like the Kingdom Hearts or Zelda or Okami games because it teds to be hard to figure out how effective any particular hit or combo is.)

Honorable mention: CCG/TCG deck building and dueling. (Like Shandalar, not like Magic Online)

Other honorable mention: spellbar/cooldown standard WoW-like combat.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

RNG means?

• fearixefearixe Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Random number generation.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    A good mix of action and strategy, like TERA. It's still an MMORPG after all...remember those? :)

Joined - July 2004

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

I hate RPG combat.  Hotbars?  Tab-to-target?  YUCK!  I get that some people love watching a bunch of black and white icons turned colored so they can feverishly mash them while an RNG runs millions of under-the-hood gear and stat checks but that's a complete snooze-fest to me.

I'm all about guns and third-person cover-based combat, baby.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I like action combat, but I also feel that real time turn based combat fits an MMORPG better.  There have always been and probably always will be problems with actions happening in action when you have a client server application.  There is lag between the client and server.  Having things more reliant on background numbers seems to work best.  Turn based(Fallout) and real time turn based(Baldur's Gate) combat seem to be good even for offline RPGs IMO.  In those games many times it's more about the story and the character in text then it is about the action.  What we call an RPG in single player games is far from it's original conception.  It's not bad, but it's less about story and more of a movie.
    Originally posted by fearixe

In Everquest we used to do /roll for loot.  Then someone would steal the loot and everyone would call them a ninja looter.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Block button or go back to the drawing board. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

My favorite style is the classic 6 button and a joystick capcom 2d fighter style.

For mmos, I enjoyed swtor's combat feel and pace the best.

Originally posted by Flyte27

In Everquest we used to do /roll for loot.  Then someone would steal the loot and everyone would call them a ninja looter.

That is why i like the D3, or WoW LFR loot system better. You roll your own loot .. and ninjaing is not possible. And there is zero loot drama.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

That is why i like the D3, or WoW LFR loot system better. You roll your own loot .. and ninjaing is not possible. And there is zero loot drama.

I actually liked it because it was in the players hands and if they did something wrong multiple times it marked them as someone you didn't want to play with, but it added a sub game to the game in essence.  It was like playing the lottery.  Now it's still the lottery, but everything is taken care of for you so there is no sub game.

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424

Action combat, as in real action combat. No soft targeting, proper hit detection, arc hits, etc. Ability to block would be nice, obviously. Plus a small hotbar (10 abilities sounds good), for different skills to mix up combat and give it tactical choices. So, i chose the 4th option.

I also would enjoy if devs adde weight to armor and weapons. Like, the heavier the armor, the slow you move, dodge, etc but more defense.  Weapons would swing slower, but hit harder. Of course, balancing that with a game that also has long range attacks like bows and spells could be annoying.

Originally posted by DEAD.line

Action combat, as in real action combat. No soft targeting, proper hit detection, arc hits, etc. Ability to block would be nice, obviously. Plus a small hotbar (10 abilities sounds good), for different skills to mix up combat and give it tactical choices. So, i chose the 4th option.

I also would enjoy if devs adde weight to armor and weapons. Like, the heavier the armor, the slow you move, dodge, etc but more defense.  Weapons would swing slower, but hit harder. Of course, balancing that with a game that also has long range attacks like bows and spells could be annoying.

All of this existed in old RPGs.  I don't think they every made it into MMOs. Even some modern RPGs have this like Skyrim and Oblivion.  For some reason old mechanics that were good are thrown out the window in many cases.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I have come to like action combat. I really don't think I can play something that I have to hold the right mouse button to look around(for long anyway).

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198

Reminds me a little of Mortal Online

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424

All of this existed in old RPGs.  I don't think they every made it into MMOs. Even some modern RPGs have this like Skyrim and Oblivion.  For some reason old mechanics that were good are thrown out the window in many cases.

Yeah, but making it work in an mmo could be the reason why. Action combat is possible, but still not easy. Factoring weight to the calculations could be problematic, as i said. Anyway, i just feel it'd be nice too have if possible, but would prefer if they focused on making a proper action combat first.

Yeah, but making it work in an mmo could be the reason why. Action combat is possible, but still not easy. Factoring weight to the calculations could be problematic, as i said. Anyway, i just feel it'd be nice too have if possible, but would prefer if they focused on making a proper action combat first.

I believe the weight mechanics would be a lot easier to implement than action combat.  No MMO has really achieved that yet because of the latency and all the players playing at the same time.  It would be very difficult to pull off Dark Souls combat in an MMO.  That's why they stick to real time turn based combat.  Most modern MMOs try to make it look like action combat, but it's still real time turn based combat.  They just added auto targeting and the ability to occasionally react when you see something on screen like double tap to avoid hit when exclamation is above their head!  That isn't the same as actually moving aside and dodging by any means.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Stupersting
    Curious about the general thoughts on combat style.

Would have liked the poll better as:

tab target

aim to shoot

turn based

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• Man_of_LeisureMan_of_Leisure Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Block button or go back to the drawing board. 

This.

I'm ok with tab targeting, but a mix is preferable. I just don't happen to think that jumping and running around in circles should be the end all be all of 'skilled' fighting.,

Age of wushu ruined me for old mmo's. And that dodge crap don't cut it.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Before I played darkfall uw I would have said a mix. Now I cant imagine standing still face to face with an attacker hoping for rng. I can still tolerate gw2 combat but knowing people are magically locking onto you isnt that fun. Full tab target like WoW never again.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

I actually liked it because it was in the players hands and if they did something wrong multiple times it marked them as someone you didn't want to play with, but it added a sub game to the game in essence.  It was like playing the lottery.  Now it's still the lottery, but everything is taken care of for you so there is no sub game.

That is the point. LFR/D3 loot system is popular because many players do not want the sub-game of dealing with others over loot.