Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: No Two Crafters Are Quite the Same

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In a new blog post on the Elder Scrolls Online site, the team takes a look at crafting and disseminates some interesting, if little-known, facts about crafting as it will appear in ESO. Of particular note is the fact that, according to the article, no two crafters will ever be quite the same.

• There are secret crafting stations hidden throughout the world. Rumor has it that powerful set bonuses can only be imparted to items when they are crafted in those locations.

• There are 15 different racial styles for smiths to learn! Racial styles can be learned from special books found through exploring and adventuring.

• With the right tempers, tannins, or resins, a smith can improve an item all the way to legendary quality. Smiths who spend points in their skills will have a better chance to improve gear with these boosters than those who don't.

• Make sure to talk to NPCs. Some may have Provisioning recipes to share.

Read much more about crafting on the Elder Scrolls Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Maybe they could craft the loading screens out of the game and boats so we can travel instead of instant warping everywhere like a SP game.
  • EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Amen brother
  • TobrukTobruk Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by tixylix
    Maybe they could craft the loading screens out of the game and boats so we can travel instead of instant warping everywhere like a SP game.

Name 1 MMORPG that doesn't have a single loading screen when it comes to traveling from place to place, zone to zone, zone to instance. I am actually curious because in the 15 years of playing mmo's I cant think of 1. I will say games have gotten quicker at loading zones or instances but you still have to load them.

As for the crafting, Skyrim had something similar but I was only able to find 1 and that was the forge that could make moonlight forged weapons.

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Even swg had loading screens when you went from planet to planet. But dungeons never had loading zones
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Tobruk

Name 1 MMORPG that doesn't have a single loading screen when it comes to traveling from place to place, zone to zone, zone to instance. I am actually curious because in the 15 years of playing mmo's I cant think of 1. I will say games have gotten quicker at loading zones or instances but you still have to load them.

As for the crafting, Skyrim had something similar but I was only able to find 1 and that was the forge that could make moonlight forged weapons.

Every game is going to have a load screen, but I think more modern games become increasingly frustrating because there are more of them, than when, say WoW came out10 years ago, using load-as-you-go tech for each continent, which were each rather large.  In the past 10 years, I'd say load screens actually got slower to boot.

On Topic: As for crafting, hmm.  It sounds like components from other games too, which may work well together, but possibly won't leave a lasting impression (to be determined).  Secret crafting stations like in EQ1 / WoW.  Same with item improvements .. put sword and magic gem both in super duper special forge, click combine, and volla!

I didn't much care for how games force specialization upon players.  TESO will have 15 racial styles now.  May as well just make all racial styles learnable plans / designs, and forgo all the needless steps to unlearn a spec, retrain, reskill with new spec, etc.  Or worse, be funneled into altoholism.  yikes!

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The game has a lot of stuff.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by falc0n
    Even swg had loading screens when you went from planet to planet. But dungeons never had loading zones

The game is ALWAYS loading,unless you think you can store and entire zone on your cpu cache and even at that is still had to load at some point.This is why you see stuff like plants and other items loading as you go and LOD is lower in the distance because it is loading low poly versions.

Bottom line there is no such thing as a non loading zone and NEVER will be because your not going to login to the game and load the entire game on your fastest cache to recall at an instant.

Personally i am ok as long as screens are not super long in loading but again that is the drawback,you want WS graphics or better higher poly graphics that need a lot more loading.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

I have an easy solution for 'instant warping' issue. Don't use it.

There i solved your problem. You can thank me later.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

IF SP games have to do it, how can you assume an MMORPG wouldn't? When there's so much more going on under the hood?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

you can travel. get on your horse and waste your time. seems legit to me.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    When wow had minimal loading screens on big maps, with airship/ships with no loading screens I doubt modern games can't do it, they are just lazy.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Bloodaxes
    When wow had minimal loading screens on big maps, with airship/ships with no loading screens I doubt modern games can't do it, they are just lazy.

First in most cases the loading screens in MMO's released today are a simple matter of a short milisecond fade to black. That's all I really experienced in ESO as an example as well as TOR (unless changing planets in TOR, or Zones in ESO)

Second I recall that happening on the airship rides in WOW as well when crossing the sea?

I'd also assume the need is to unload/load all of the assets games like WOW don't have, for which there are many.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Does anyone know if crafting alts will be necessary to save room for combat skills or to master all professions?
  • NatjurNatjur Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Originally posted by unclemo
    Does anyone know if crafting alts will be necessary to save room for combat skills or to master all professions?

You will need alts for storage space at the start, but not for crafting, you can have you main max all crafting paths (if you get enough skyshards)

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Natjur

You will need alts for storage space at the start, but not for crafting, you can have you main max all crafting paths (if you get enough skyshards)

It can be done, but it's probably more efficient during the leveling process to only have one (or at most two) crafts per character.  Otherwise you are going to be extremely tight on skill points.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• G4NK3DG4NK3D Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by falc0n

Yes but SWG didn't have phasing and didn't have the public dungeons that you had to load into.  I do remember the public high level areas though, like the DWB where you just walked in, problem was if anyone else was in there you had to wait for all the respawns lol

• ReverielleReverielle Member UncommonPosts: 133

Sounds good, hopefully it's designed so you can practical never become a master of all areas of crafting, even all areas within a certain craft type (e.g. smithing).

Fingers crossed.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

From what I got out of the two Beta runs, you will need to make a combat char first and foremost. The reason no two crafters are the same in ESO is, you are building a library of crafting options through the loot table. A loot table that is drop oriented.

In addition, I tried to gather in zones over my head and the aggro was eternal. You weren't getting to the nodes without killing the mob camping them and if you pulled aggro you couldn't handle, just stand there and die because breaking aggro was a 5 minute stroll though the game world and played the same stunt most other MMO's play, only dropping aggro when you picked up new aggro.

You can spin that two ways. Crafting is integrated and evolved or it's gated. Decide that for yourself. I'd say ESO has a decent crafting system that you could easily devote a PvE character to. In SWG I was a swordy Ranger main. I needed hides to feed to crafters.

tldr: you will need a combat alt. Just not for the reason you might think. It's the way the entire system is spun together and we have 8 slots so it's all good.

• ReverielleReverielle Member UncommonPosts: 133
    I don't think it necessarily means you have to have one character devoted to crafting and one to combat. Not at all. Perhaps if you're a min/maxer, sure. But there's not may of those about, just the vocal  minority.
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by Tarnorili
    I don't think it necessarily means you have to have one character devoted to crafting and one to combat. Not at all. Perhaps if you're a min/maxer, sure. But there's not may of those about, just the vocal  minority.

You can't have one devoted to crafting and one for fighting.  In order to level crafting you need skill points.  Crafting does not give any at all so you need to fight, quest and level up as well as find Skyshards.

In order to find Skyshards your gonna have to get stronger which again means fighting and questing or you won't live long enough to collect most.

In a nutshell - No skyshards, PvE or PvP means no crafting anything beyond tier 1

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

seriously you can't think of any?

EvE Online? although i dont play EvE Online, but i know that they do not have Loading Screen at all, even when wrapping from 1 system to another, its' all seamless 

So What Now?

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Originally posted by TweFoju

seriously you can't think of any?

EvE Online? although i dont play EvE Online, but i know that they do not have Loading Screen at all, even when wrapping from 1 system to another, its' all seamless 

if you want to get technical EvE does have loading screens. when you jump through gates you effectively watch an animation while the next zone loads. when you dock into a station you also watch an animation while the "inside the station" loads. 

however there are mmos without loading screens. Mortal Online doesn't have a single loading screen after you've logged in the game. not a single one. 

Can't think of any other ones though, unless you consider Dayz an mmo....