Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Last minute removal of Amazon, BB and Gamestop for pre-orders... Carbine concerned about cancellatio

StevonStevon Member UncommonPosts: 221

I find it odd (and as a customer very concerning) that Carbine changed, this morning, the pre-order page to no longer list the big 3 video game stores for pre-orders.   They also added the statement that pre-orders are non-refundable.

So what do you think?   Are they concerned about players cancelling their pre-orders before launch?  Do they not have confidence in the game after all?   Seems a bit underhanded to force you to a binding purchase for a non released game.    They aren't the first company to do so but the fact that they stated you COULD buy via the big three for pre-order then suddenly removed the option is telling.

Btw if you do order from Gamestop you will NOT receive any pre-order bonuses in spite of the previous directions from Carbine.  Gamestop customer service stated that the game does not come with pre-order bonuses.

Guess it's time to get some alternative beta weekend keys and try it out.   I don't relish giving them my money 2 months before the game launches without the possibility of a refund.

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Maybe they've decided to go with a "digital only" sales plan.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204

You don't need to try and find some " alternative beta weekend keys", because there will be an open beta before launch.

problem solved.

• StevonStevon Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by laserit
    Maybe they've decided to go with a "digital only" sales plan.

How insightful.   You completely missed the part about "why" and the fact that the boxed edition is for sale without pre-order bonuses and can be cancelled.

• StevonStevon Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by Daessar

You don't need to try and find some " alternative beta weekend keys", because there will be an open beta before launch.

problem solved.

Good point!

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Stevon

Guess it's time to get some alternative beta weekend keys and try it out.   I don't relish giving them my money 2 months before the game launches without the possibility of a refund.

Why didn't you just do this in the first place instead of screwing over a retailer just to try the game?

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

I generally buy most new MMO's but WS has been a hard sell to me, i almost pre-ordered last week but decided to hold off on that idea till after ESO release day.

Honestly if i really wanted to do the whole max level-->raid --> gear up-->raid-->gear up again, i would go back to WoW where its done better and has a ton of more depth.

No i am not saying the tired argument that WS is a WoW clone (its pretty close though) but i am saying that if i really wanted the same exact style of gameplay why would i pin my hopes on something untested, and now the developers are not showing confidence in sales.

Hmm, i will sit on the fence alot more now, hoping there is more to be revealed to help me fall off it in favor of buying it.

Lolipops !

• Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233

I find it odd (and as a customer very concerning) that Carbine changed, this morning, the pre-order page to no longer list the big 3 video game stores for pre-orders.   They also added the statement that pre-orders are non-refundable.

Misinformation. The site still lists them @ http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/preorder/ but just has an additional Store/Pre-Order Now option.

The "pre-orders are non refundable" (if such a statement exists) is simply for the NCSOFT store since you're purchasing the entire game immediately.

--
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by Voiidiin

I generally buy most new MMO's but WS has been a hard sell to me, i almost pre-ordered last week but decided to hold off on that idea till after ESO release day.

Honestly if i really wanted to do the whole max level-->raid --> gear up-->raid-->gear up again, i would go back to WoW where its done better and has a ton of more depth.

No i am not saying the tired argument that WS is a WoW clone (its pretty close though) but i am saying that if i really wanted the same exact style of gameplay why would i pin my hopes on something untested, and now the developers are not showing confidence in sales.

Hmm, i will sit on the fence alot more now, hoping there is more to be revealed to help me fall off it in favor of buying it.

Er, didn't it just become available for preorder today?

Nevertheless, your point is still valid.  If one is looking for the gear up-and-raid-to-gear-up-to-raid treadmill, what are they exactly getting that they couldn't get out of WoW, where they've already invested thousands of hours?  I don't ask that to point out that WildStar is lacking there, just that it's a fair question for somebody thinking about playing WildStar to ask.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I think it smart companies started getting ahead of people who buy and ditch. You cant buy a copy of a console game and play it for 3 days and then ask for a refund. Same with any PC game you buy. MMOs are expected to give launch pre-order customers perks like head starts so why should people be able to get a refund because servers were laggy, or any other reason? You bought it own it.
  • stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

*sigh*

You can still order from all those places, and still get all the preorder bonuses just as if you were ordering from them direct. 

All they have done is change their webiste to promote their own NCsoft store

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

There are 2 sides on a coin...
    I can see it from both sides.

Thing is that alot of mmo's turn out to be a flop, the worse part is you can sell your (single) player games easy.
    But you cannot sell your used mmo game, not as easy as a single player at least.

So with all these mmo's that flopped and costed people big chunks of money they just want to try before they buy, and we cannot blame those people do we :) ?

Man i bought SWTOR for me and my lady and it costed us 180 euro total and the game was utter garbage to say the least....
    No refund -_- mmo and all yada yada.

But its also what some people say that you predorder play 50 hours and say i want my money back !
    Thats kinda lame to, but understandable.

So yeah i can see both sides being right :P

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    On the non-refundable statement...... well good luck to them enforcing that one.  1 call to a credit card company and that charge will be removed..... 
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

I find it odd that anybody would buy an MMORPG from a source other than the developer/publisher themselves.

You will still have to create an account, login, use the launcher, and may even be doing a full install via launcher no matter where you buy it (and for sure if you do early access or beta play since you won't get any physical media before the release date).

I further find it odd the wild leaps of insanity people make from things like this.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    I think it smart companies started getting ahead of people who buy and ditch. You cant buy a copy of a console game and play it for 3 days and then ask for a refund. Same with any PC game you buy. MMOs are expected to give launch pre-order customers perks like head starts so why should people be able to get a refund because servers were laggy, or any other reason? You bought it own it.

I completely agree. I always thought it was a bad idea for companies to let players return a game they've already played. Even more cheap, dishonest, and shady on the part of the players who actually do it. There should be no refunds on MMO's. Hopefully more companies adopt an equally firm stance.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I find it odd (and as a customer very concerning) that Carbine changed, this morning, the pre-order page to no longer list the big 3 video game stores for pre-orders. 

preorders at other sites are available

amazon preorder

http://www.amazon.com/NCsoft-Wildstar-Online-Game-Code/dp/B00IYWV5HS

EB

http://www.ebgames.com/pc/games/wildstar/113678

Gamestop

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/wildstar/113678

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Zap-Robo

The "pre-orders are non refundable" (if such a statement exists) is simply for the NCSOFT store since you're purchasing the entire game immediately.

And was done for GW2. It's nothing new.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Voqar

I find it odd that anybody would buy an MMORPG from a source other than the developer/publisher themselves.

You will still have to create an account, login, use the launcher, and may even be doing a full install via launcher no matter where you buy it (and for sure if you do early access or beta play since you won't get any physical media before the release date). 

I further find it odd the wild leaps of insanity people make from things like this.

There are lots of reasons to buy physical editions somewhere other than from the publisher.  That said, there is really no reason to buy physical for Wildstar since the only thing in the "box" is a disc with the game on it.  As for digital editions (assuming the publisher let's third parties sell the digital edition) I can only think of two reasons to buy from a third party; if they are offering a hefty discount, or if the third party in question is Steam.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    False info posted by OP to rile up people interested in Wildstar.   so silly.  :P

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679
    I don't know the reason, but there might have been another retailer that complained about it. Many retailers have issue with a publisher calling out specific chains or stores and if you aren't big enough to brush those concerns aside then you have concede to them.
  • MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152
    Pre-ordered mine+boyfriends striaght from the sight.  Don't need Amazon, BB, or Gamestop.  I feel sorry for the people baited by the OP

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by azarhal
    Originally posted by Zap-Robo

And was done for GW2. It's nothing new.

GW2 had 6 months refund policy. Get your facts straight.

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301

I live in Israel - and thus always have to pay more (Euro and not $) - but i still prefer to buy directly.

Just my 2 cents...

• MaltisseMaltisse Member UncommonPosts: 34

So what do you think?   Are they concerned about players cancelling their pre-orders before launch?  Do they not have confidence in the game after all?   Seems a bit underhanded to force you to a binding purchase for a non released game.    They aren't the first company to do so but the fact that they stated you COULD buy via the big three for pre-order then suddenly removed the option is telling.

Btw if you do order from Gamestop you will NOT receive any pre-order bonuses in spite of the previous directions from Carbine.  Gamestop customer service stated that the game does not come with pre-order bonuses.

This is false information. NCSoft changed around their store is all. The game is still available for pre order through third party sites such as amazon. What you are talking about is pre-purchase and just like ESO it is nonrefundable. However I am sure you can cancel for a refund if you cry enough to customer service. Do not pre order to try out beta, if you do and get screwed its on you. Furthermore, do some research before pre order and make good decisions financially and you will not have a reason to QQ. Accountability, this is the issue if you buy it it's yours own it and be a man/woman.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

It's usually cheaper if you buy physical. You can also cancel anytime you want until dispatch without asking for refunds if something happens and you don't like what you see. 

• tocimustocimus Member Posts: 1

most of the time, the retailers get personalized pre-order bonuses from the makers of the game. something to make ppl want to buy it from them.

they didnt get it this time, and are playing hardball. acting as if they have no idea about any pre-order bonuses. but to be fair, workers at gamestop and bestbuy generally have no idea what is going on.

in all honesty many forum members on various forums are encouraging the cancellation of pre-orders from said retailers. then purchase directly from carbine or NCsoft.

the retailers are getting phased out of game sales and are trying to bully their way into getting as much money out these launches as they can. soon gaming will be completely digital and they wont get any cut of the pie.

also try reading the refund portion again. you missed a few things.

the sale is only final when the game is live. before that you can still contact support and cancel.

as for the REMOVAL, that is Carbine showing that they wont advertise for companies giving them crap. they are a small company and not putting up with the retailer bs.