Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Carbine says the game begins at 50

2»

Comments

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    If the game begins at 50 whey would anyone pay for it before then, it should be f2p until you hit level 50 the if you want to play 'the real game' you should have to pay for it.
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    FFXIV used a very similar slogan and yet there are people (granted, they are the higher skilled vast minority) complaining about there only being 2 hours of "real content" per week for them to do.
  • DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by mbd1968
    If the game begins at 50 whey would anyone pay for it before then, it should be f2p until you hit level 50 the if you want to play 'the real game' you should have to pay for it.

Because theres not enough people interested in tired old endgame WS provides.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

Too bad I will never make it to endgame..

I could barely get to 15 before I gave up how the hell am I suppose to get 35 more levels?

I have to agree with others I get sick of this end-game mentality why can't the whole game be good why does it always have to be a trade off....

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Originally posted by nationalcity
    Too bad I will never make it to endgame..I could barely get to 15 before I gave up how the hell am I suppose to get 35 more levels? I have to agree with others I get sick of this end-game mentality why can't the whole game be good why does it always have to be a trade off.... 

Time... money... vision... target demographic...

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    Originally posted by Prenho3
    Originally posted by deniter
    Maybe they should begin to sell instant 50 characters for $60 for casuals who don't have time to play more than 2 hour a week.

There will be lvl 50 players in less than 48 hours, 1 week for the laziest casuals. 60 bulks for instant 50 is as idiot as instant lvl 90 in WoW due to the same reasons.

What type of player will be LvL 50 in less then 48 hours? Can not imagine it would be gamers who explores everything ingame, have done most/all crafting, had fun with housing and everything else Wildstar provides besides questing. Sort of thinking about those people who just ignore most of the game just so they can say they capped level with X amount of hours/day's. Might be fun to them, for me I see no reason why I ever would want to play a MMORPG in such a limited way.

So if a person takes more then a week, maybe a month, perhaps even 6 months you would consider such a gamer lazy? You never considered it might be a person that does more things a MMO has to offer then you do?

I fully understand it if people don't care for crafting, don't care for housing, what I can not understand that those people would be seen as lazy among some people on these forums.

Deniter: You seem to only think of the newb who buy's his cap lvl character wihout the experiance of WoW. I see it as a oppertunity for those who play'd WOW for years and don't feel to start all over with character number 14 (just a number unaware at the moment how many char. you can have in WoW) Would it have been me to make the dessision about the level 60 buy I would have made it a feature to buy once you had unlocked 2 cap lvl characters. WoW current system as far I can tell can indeed be "abused" by the newb who just finds it cool to have his level 60 character yet without knownledge of it's skills/ability's o general experiance.

Regardless of that for WoW it does make sense for such a "old" game. Not so much for a new MMORPG to be released.

As for the topic: I read that level 50 is only the beginning. Now since most of it's (Wildstars) marketing has been about what the game is like with most content before cap level I can only thing of that the game will have lost more even after reaching cap level.

it seems you don't know that powerleveling people exist, in GW2 the same thing happened, in 48 hours there already were lvl80 people.

At most I'd give 72 hours for powerlevelers to get level cap.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Maybe they should begin to sell instant 50 characters for $60 for casuals who don't have time to play more than 2 hour a week.

There will be lvl 50 players in less than 48 hours, 1 week for the laziest casuals. 60 bulks for instant 50 is as idiot as instant lvl 90 in WoW due to the same reasons.

Deniter: You seem to only think of the newb who buy's his cap lvl character wihout the experiance of WoW. I see it as a oppertunity for those who play'd WOW for years and don't feel to start all over with character number 14 (just a number unaware at the moment how many char. you can have in WoW) Would it have been me to make the dessision about the level 60 buy I would have made it a feature to buy once you had unlocked 2 cap lvl characters. WoW current system as far I can tell can indeed be "abused" by the newb who just finds it cool to have his level 60 character yet without knownledge of it's skills/ability's o general experiance.

Well, there was quite a bit /sarcasm in my post, but even if there wasn't i gotta say that if a game like WoW offers so little to its players that they have nothing else to do but level an alt #14, why even bother to pay money for it? Don't they have already experienced the supposedly short end game with previous 13 alts? And don't you think there's something horribly wrong in a leveling game if one is ready to pay extra 60 bucks to pass it by? End game is, and has always been about grinding the same raids over and over again. How is it any different from going through 1-89 once more? And if one is a PvP type of a player, there's much better alternatives than WoW to go.

And if i was a new player, i wouldn't even consider paying money for an instant 90. What's the point to pay money for the box and a month access to servers, and then pay more to be able to skip about half the game you have just payed for?

• TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by Annekynn

I could barely get to 15 before I gave up how the hell am I suppose to get 35 more levels?

I have to agree with others I get sick of this end-game mentality why can't the whole game be good why does it always have to be a trade off....

Pretty much.

Nationalcity, def doesn't sound like a game for you if you can't make it past lvl 15.  I wish you well in whatever game you do decide to play.  I personally enjoyed the game.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by Droosteel
    Originally posted by Herase
    Originally posted by Pyuk
    That has to be one of the most trite and idiotic things a dev could say about their upcoming MMO. So what, the journey from 1-50 is crap and should be ignored? 

Probably a markting decision based on feedback from the players as leveling game is indeed awful.

So you devalue leveling game and sing praises to endgame.

problem is that most MMOers know that endgame since WoW vanilla (and every other themepark MMO afterwards), its not like its something brand new, never seen before ;P

I'm not sure how people have gotten this off of 10 words lol, while yes, the first maybe 4 level are a bit dull, i'm not sure how these few words a disregarding the entire leveling exp. Like i said it seems many people are misinterpreting a few marketing hype words to get people excited about endgame as them devaluing the leveling content.

*sigh* I don't know lol

It shows in leveling game that they themselves disregarded that as most of it seems to be stuck at their basic draft.

What would you do if you got feedback that your leveling game sucks? (And pretty much noone saw your endgame, and will not see it since weekend betas are capped at lvl 17 for now and most probably wont be uncapped to level 50+ content)

Not sure how it shows, some people liked it some people hated it. Same with any other game. ESo, WoW, FFXIV. Doesn't mean they're disregarding the leveling exp if some people didn't like the leveling and i'm not sure how people are basing this off of the pre-order slogan. I was half expecting a article or something, which i would then understand, but one line on a pre order page?

Some one help me out here :)

Originally posted by Pyuk
    That has to be one of the most trite and idiotic things a dev could say about their upcoming MMO. So what, the journey from 1-50 is crap and should be ignored? 

Probably a markting decision based on feedback from the players as leveling game is indeed awful.

So you devalue leveling game and sing praises to endgame.

problem is that most MMOers know that endgame since WoW vanilla (and every other themepark MMO afterwards), its not like its something brand new, never seen before ;P

I'm not sure how people have gotten this off of 10 words lol, while yes, the first maybe 4 level are a bit dull, i'm not sure how these few words a disregarding the entire leveling exp. Like i said it seems many people are misinterpreting a few marketing hype words to get people excited about endgame as them devaluing the leveling content.

*sigh* I don't know lol

It shows in leveling game that they themselves disregarded that as most of it seems to be stuck at their basic draft.

What would you do if you got feedback that your leveling game sucks? (And pretty much noone saw your endgame, and will not see it since weekend betas are capped at lvl 17 for now and most probably wont be uncapped to level 50+ content)

Not sure how it shows, some people liked it some people hated it. Same with any other game. ESo, WoW, FFXIV. Doesn't mean they're disregarding the leveling exp if some people didn't like the leveling and i'm not sure how people are basing this off of the pre-order slogan. I was half expecting a article or something, which i would then understand, but one line on a pre order page?

Some one help me out here :)

I agree wit this.  Im thinking it is more of statement of telling people there is actually something to do once you hit lvl cap.  There will always be power leveling in games if you want to spam whatever content over and over to achieve it which every MMO has had.

Some good examples of this are FFXIV with fate grinding, Rift with Rift Grinding, Age of Conan with Keshetta grinds.. the list goes on.

Wildstar offers content to do even if the elder gems is time-gated.  I thought FFXIV had great content until you start finishing their top tier dungeon in two hours and then you are forced to play an alt to do the same exact content since it locks you once per week. 

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    When an MMO "starts" at level cap, that's usually when I stop playing. I'm so bored of raids and instanced PVP. I'm sure people who haven't been around the genre for over a decade still enjoy this type of thing, but I just can not stand it anymore. 
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    When an MMO "starts" at level cap, that's usually when I stop playing. I'm so bored of raids and instanced PVP. I'm sure people who haven't been around the genre for over a decade still enjoy this type of thing, but I just can not stand it anymore. 

Sim,

Haha, I def don't think the game is targeted for you then since its all about ranked arenas, warplots, 20 and 40 man raiding!  It sounds like to me that you might be over MMO's in general.   I have been playing MMO's for over a decade and I am still enjoying the genre.  Have you looked at Gloria Victus?  You might like that game.  RvR,  partial loot drops, housing, etc.  :)

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Annekynn

I think it's money more than anything else, followed by time. "Vision" and "target demographic" are often buzzwords used to justify doing some things poorly because you didn't have the money and time to do everything well.  If they had an ESO/TOR sized budget, I'm sure they would have actually had a fleshed out narrative experience with full voice from 1-50, instead of the bare bones "training for endgame" experience they actually implemented.  When it comes right down to it, regardless of how much any particular person likes it, Wildstar just isn't a game with a AAA budget by the standards of 2014, and some elements had to suffer as a result.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

What type of player will be LvL 50 in less then 48 hours? Can not imagine it would be gamers who explores everything ingame, have done most/all crafting, had fun with housing and everything else Wildstar provides besides questing. Sort of thinking about those people who just ignore most of the game just so they can say they capped level with X amount of hours/day's. Might be fun to them, for me I see no reason why I ever would want to play a MMORPG in such a limited way.

So if a person takes more then a week, maybe a month, perhaps even 6 months you would consider such a gamer lazy? You never considered it might be a person that does more things a MMO has to offer then you do?

I fully understand it if people don't care for crafting, don't care for housing, what I can not understand that those people would be seen as lazy among some people on these forums.

Regardless of that for WoW it does make sense for such a "old" game. Not so much for a new MMORPG to be released.

As for the topic: I read that level 50 is only the beginning. Now since most of it's (Wildstars) marketing has been about what the game is like with most content before cap level I can only thing of that the game will have lost more even after reaching cap level.

it seems you don't know that powerleveling people exist, in GW2 the same thing happened, in 48 hours there already were lvl80 people.

At most I'd give 72 hours for powerlevelers to get level cap.

Underlined the part you might have missed.

• StevonStevon Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by Omali
    That isn't what they said at all, the OP is twisting words to mean what he wants them to. "Level 50 is only the beginning" means that the game doesn't end just because you hit the level cap. 

Exactly.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I have mixed feelings about that. On one side I like to look forward to end game content, on the other hand I get worried that their focus was end game primarily and they botched the journey there. If 1 - 50 is story and a "tutorial" I would have have lets say 10 levels and have level 10 be the end game. 1 - 50 being a tutorial gets kind of tiresome when your grinding all those levels just to learn your character. 
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by Ticonz
    Originally posted by simsalabim77

Sim,

Haha, I def don't think the game is targeted for you then since its all about ranked arenas, warplots, 20 and 40 man raiding!  It sounds like to me that you might be over MMO's in general.   I have been playing MMO's for over a decade and I am still enjoying the genre.  Have you looked at Gloria Victus?  You might like that game.  RvR,  partial loot drops, housing, etc.  :)

I still enjoy most MMO's, but I only enjoy them for about two months depending on how many classes I decide to level. I like leveling and seeing the sights. The "journey" I guess you could call it. Nothing is more satisfying in an MMO than watching my character grow in power in significant ways. Getting a piece of loot that has 50 more strength does nothing for me. Getting a new ability that lets me do different and fun things is what keeps me playing. 

I just can't stand raiding and instanced PVP. I still like getting to that point though. 

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Iam in this weekends beta but i think i might have a hard time enjoying it.
    if i am forced to quest my way to 50 then i am not sure if i can dig that again after playing numerous mmo's that just throws endless of quests your way where you get bored after 1 hour of play.

I like pvp so i hope you can grind your way trough pvp and dungeons, if not then i think i pass.
    Unless the questing is realy good ( imposible ) :P

Maybe i dont even make it trough the 1st few quests as i am realy burned out from the kill 10 pigs and loot 5 hides :(
    MMO Studio's should realy open up diffrent ways of leveling, you like pvp ? then go all out and level troug pvp !!!

Even in ESO you can level up in pvp, but man the exp you get might take a year to get your char to max level :P

Give players a choice is all i ask :)

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204

The "10 players who level together on vent" or the powerlevelers who get to cap in 72 hours don't make much of a difference in this situation, because all they can do at cap is more of the same stuff they just rushed through.

They can Pvp against each other, but the queues will be fairly long because they rushed, and unless they powerleveled with 20 others in a guild, they wont be attempting the raids either, let alone defeating them. So they are really only limiting themselves by doing it, and in this game, they will only be "special" for a short time, until the organized guilds pass them by.

For Mothanos - yes you can level by doing Pvp the same way you can in ESO, so at least you have an answer for that.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Or maybe they're just saying that getting to 50 isn't the end?

In other words....it's an MMORPG.

Shocking stuff.

What IS it with people on the forums for this game and their screwy way of interpreting everything?  If you don't like MMORPGs, why are you at this site?

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Voqar

Or maybe they're just saying that getting to 50 isn't the end?

In other words....it's an MMORPG.

Shocking stuff.

What IS it with people on the forums for this game and their screwy way of interpreting everything?  If you don't like MMORPGs, why are you at this site?

Some games focus more on endgame, some focus more on the leveling process, and some make sincere efforts to balance the two.   Disliking any particular one of those approaches doesn't mean you "don't like MMORPGs."  Is the OP blowing the line he references out of proportion?  Probably, but anyone who has played Wildstar for any length of time can tell that it is one of the kind of MMORPG that focuses pretty much exclusively on the MMO, and even within the MMO, mostly on the endgame.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• kartanakartana Member UncommonPosts: 148
    So basically the other 49 levels are just to milk the money out of you?
  • AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

All the negativity, absurdity and straw man arguments for a single quote.

Just... shake my head.

• AvulAvul Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

All the negativity, absurdity and straw man arguments for a single quote.

Just... shake my head.

On the one hand this overreaction is quite normal for these forums. On the other hand I leveled to 50 myself and it felt like a chore to me. It's quite obvious that Carbine didn't put a lot of effort in the leveling experience. Some quests are neat and creative but overall it's the same old "been there, done that before" mess. I can't say much about Elder Game because I felt too burned out at max level that I stopped playing. If this is Carbine's plan then they will have a hard time recruiting casuals or players who want to have fun before lvl 50.

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.