Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

game Daoc players have waited for,,

After DAOC ther wasnt much to play until Rift, most of us couldnt wait until DAOC2 would be produced and WE dont have to WAIT,  ESO has blown the roof off the PVP world, nevermind the kids who couldnt tell you anything , im 46 and have been playing pc  games since the mid 90's, this game blew me away, it was more then I expected, as far as the playing for a week comments I have seen, I would say they have not played REAL pvp, its too dynamic to get bored, the real killer to a mmorpg is bandwidth utilization, as long as the the game remains lag free it will be  a Big HIT. 

My entire guild has commited to leave RIFT , and Eagerly awaits the release.

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by judgeroy
    After DAOC ther wasnt much to play until Rift, most of us couldnt wait until DAOC2 would be produced and WE dont have to WAIT,  ESO has blown the roof off the PVP world, nevermind the kids who couldnt tell you anything , im 46 and have been playing pc  games since the mid 90's, this game blew me away, it was more then I expected, as far as the playing for a week comments I have seen, I would say they have not played REAL pvp, its too dynamic to get bored, the real killer to a mmorpg is bandwidth utilization, as long as the the game remains lag free it will be  a Big HIT. 

I heard if you squint realllly hard, That the title actually says "DAoC2" instead of "ESO"...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244
    One of my mates keeps going proper mental every time ESO is compared to DAOC I will point him in this direction when he gets on  vent later. I think he will blow a gasket I never personally played it but he hates it when the two are compared. lol I keep saying it to just wind him up.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Aye, this game has a lot in common with DAoC, and it's a good thing.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Swids2010
    One of my mates keeps going proper mental every time ESO is compared to DAOC I will point him in this direction when he gets on  vent later. I think he will blow a gasket I never personally played it but he hates it when the two are compared. lol I keep saying it to just wind him up.

LOL  The things that some people get worked up over can be pretty funny.   Does he think if offends DAoC or TESO?

There is an obvious comparison to be made, in that there are 3 realms that battle in an open PvP area with keeps that can be sieged and captured.  How can you not compare them?  

• IsimeRageIsimeRage Member UncommonPosts: 13

no it doesnt

• rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107

Senator ESO, I served with DAOC.  I knew DAOC.  DAOC was a friend of mine.

Senator ESO, you're no DAOC.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I wish this were true, but I am cynical after playing other games that people thought were the next best thing to DAOC 2 such as WAR and GW 2. I don't put any stock in people's experiences playing in AvA for a few hours during weekend beta events. Let's see whether the comparison to DAOC still holds up one month after launch or better yet 3 months after launch. If it does, then maybe I'll break down and buy TESO at that point.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• Man_of_LeisureMan_of_Leisure Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by DMKano

DAoC had better combat (yes my opinion) and far better RvR with Darkness Falls. Also no BS limit on 6 active skills at a time (not counting weapon swap). DAoC had unique classes per realm - true realm pride.

Battlegrounds that meant something and were immensely fun.

DAoCs PvE was weak (only talking Vanilla as I quit before the expansions ruined the game).

ESO has better graphics, better game engine, thats it, as bad as DAoCs PvE was, I think ESOs PvE is just as bad, possibly worse.

All of the above is 100% my opinion, please don't take it as fact.

I played daoc up until about a year ago. I disagree that daoc's combat system is better. I do miss the reacionary and positional combat techniques, but that game has always been a clunky nightmare. Actually the clunkiness and awkward animation of eso does remind me of daoc, although its still better.

What drives me nuts about eso is that there is so much CC, and no immunity. If you break out some of the chracter builder apps you can shove your abilities slots full of nothing but damaging stuns and knockdowns. And there does not appear to be any immunity.

It is going to be a mess at launch, but then again daoc was with out immunity too.

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

I"m just playing ESO till CU comes out.

In MJ we trust.

• RaidonnRaidonn Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Originally posted by judgeroy

I've been chasing a DAOC style pvp game since I left and you have me beat by 2 years. The  pvp was awesome these last couple beta weekends and can't wait to start it up in a couple weeks. image

• GoreignakGoreignak Member UncommonPosts: 11

Played over the last three betas, in Cyrodiil for the last two.  There was more then a few PvP/AvA moments where I found myself in situations that brought back vivid memories of DAOC due to how similar they were.

But one moment in particular sticks out as belonging solely to TESO;  Playing DC, we (group of about 12 of us) were taking a farm from AD (Damn Hibbies!), and I check our six to see some AD guy ride up on his horse and dismount trying to go into stealth.  I quickly pass the info along to the group, and move to engage, along with a few other fellow DCers.  Second I pop stealth and hit the guy with a bow powershot, 40+ AD break stealth around him and proceed to rain death on us.

Prior to playing in PvP, I had my doubts (limited classes, limited hotbars, fairly linear questing, etc), but it was the PvP that sealed the deal for me.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Goreignak

Played over the last three betas, in Cyrodiil for the last two.  There was more then a few PvP/AvA moments where I found myself in situations that brought back vivid memories of DAOC due to how similar they were.

But one moment in particular sticks out as belonging solely to TESO;  Playing DC, we (group of about 12 of us) were taking a farm from AD (Damn Hibbies!), and I check our six to see some AD guy ride up on his horse and dismount trying to go into stealth.  I quickly pass the info along to the group, and move to engage, along with a few other fellow DCers.  Second I pop stealth and hit the guy with a bow powershot, 40+ AD break stealth around him and proceed to rain death on us.

Prior to playing in PvP, I had my doubts (limited classes, limited hotbars, fairly linear questing, etc), but it was the PvP that sealed the deal for me.

Yeah, ambushes are fun, and any class can join in, not just rogue-types :)  For a few hours, I was in a group that would stealth by the Pacts closest keep to the one they were attacking.  And every few Nords and what not that came out of the keep, where quickly silenced and sent back to the keep :)  Eventualy the Pact broke off the attack on our keep and started looking for us lol.  Even though we finally were caught and died, it was fun to know that a little group of 8-9 could cause a disruption large enough to stop 100 or so from attacking a keep.  For the Queen!

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814
    ESO does have 3 way PvP fighting over keeps. Otherwise, it is nothing like DAOC.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210

As a Daoc fan and player I got to say, NAT!

• ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210

I can't stand the targeting and i downloaded a pvp mod and that help and i remapped the mouse keys but the UI is to console like for me.  Even trying as hard as i could I couldn't get the ui and targeting to my liking.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    I am sorry,OP is wrong,ESO is solo story driven PVE game ,with MP +co-op .DAOC is PVP MMORPG game.
  • SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

I've waited for a game to replace DAoC for years. In all honesty, nothing will replaced it. They should just update the graphics on the original DAoC and market it as a brand new game, now that I'd play.

However, I've bought ESO as it is the closest thing I'll get to it for now. When you're attacking a 'keep' and they're throwing hot oil over you while you're trying to smash the door down then the 3rd side comes up and kicks you in the arse it does have essence of DAoC.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234
    Please forgive some of us for being skeptical of the OP's statements. I'm not at all convinced that ESO will be able to deliver upon much of what they've promised. I shall remain in wait-and-see mode. I might add that I certainly enjoyed my extensive time in the beta, but I didn't experience what I would consider successor to DAOC.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I'm an x 12 year  DAOC vet.

ESO AvA is better than todays DAOC......and ESO hasn't even launched yet !

(btw...that was the game plan and rationale for bring Matt Firror aboard)

ESO crafting is far better than DAOC too.

• PhaeronPhaeron Member UncommonPosts: 24

The issue isn't with the amount of CC, but with the type. Without long-duration CC and proper spellcast interruption, the game's pvp is doomed to failure. It's not as if this is the first time someone has attempted to modernize DAoC's PvP. When you don't have those two things, the system fails. Also, there just aren't enough classes and identity between the factions to care.

There is no substitute for DAoC. Until they make it F2P and make a classic server to remove all the garbage that came after SI, there will be no PvP system that can equal DAoC's.

"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."

• v_Vev_Ve Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Originally posted by DMKano

DAoC had better combat (yes my opinion) and far better RvR with Darkness Falls. Also no BS limit on 6 active skills at a time (not counting weapon swap). DAoC had unique classes per realm - true realm pride.

Battlegrounds that meant something and were immensely fun.

DAoCs PvE was weak (only talking Vanilla as I quit before the expansions ruined the game).

ESO has better graphics, better game engine, thats it, as bad as DAoCs PvE was, I think ESOs PvE is just as bad, possibly worse.

At least ESO is not as bad as WAR - that was such a turd, only game I quit before my 30 days was up.... horrible on all fronts /shudder.

All of the above is 100% my opinion, please don't take it as fact.

Agree with all  the green and strongly agree with all  the yellow, yea literally (Graphic's is)  its only saving grace

also i find it dumb how in eso threads you have to state that or it becomes a flame war .

Witty & Wicked >:)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

I'm an x 12 year  DAOC vet.

ESO AvA is better than todays DAOC......and ESO hasn't even launched yet !

(btw...that was the game plan and rationale for bring Matt Firror aboard)

ESO crafting is far better than DAOC too.

Well yeah, because today's DAOC is crap.

I spent the last year playing on a 2003 emulation, now that was true DAOC PVP in it's glory days.

Not so sure ESO is coming anywhere near that right now, but I'll soon find out.

So far I see far more differences than similarities, but maybe not.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I tried so many times to play DAoC. Sometimes I wonder how many people didn't play it but say they did just to be part of the "crowd" that did.  

I normlly don't say anything negative about a game, especially on that games forums, so I'm somewhat safe here. IMHO DAoCs UI and combat system were horrible. I'm not saying that to offend fans, but I just didn't like it at all. When folks come here and say it's better than what ESO currently has, I truly wonder what I was missing.

So, if you are a true fan of DAoC I applaud you, but if you are a pretender, please don't compare or leave comments.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• MeridiasBeaconMeridiasBeacon Member Posts: 86
    Well, if the OP and friends like it, good for them. I also beta tested the game and played in Cyrodiil. In my opinion, Cyrodiil feels like GW2 W v W but with more land. Choose between blue, red and yellow. Races are not faction locked if the game is pre-ordered. Last year if someone asked me I would have said, yeah it's like DAoC 2.0. Not anymore.
  • BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I tried so many times to play DAoC. Sometimes I wonder how many people didn't play it but say they did just to be part of the "crowd" that did.  

I normlly don't say anything negative about a game, especially on that games forums, so I'm somewhat safe here. IMHO that DAoCs UI and combat system were horrible. I'm not saying that to offend fans, but I just didn't like it at all. When folks come here and say it's better than what ESO currently has, I truly wonder what I was missing.

So, if you are a true fan of DAoC I applaud you, but if you are a pretender, please don't compare or leave comments.

You just didn't understand how DAOC's combat worked, and that's fine because it was pretty complex at times trying to figure out what the max dextery it took to get capped attack speed based on how much % attack speed you got from items...etc etc.

Don't even get me started on parry chance or dodge chance, /shudder.

All of that aside, DAOC's combat was considered the end-all-to-be-all combat systems because it was 100% positional based. Meaning, you did more dmg from behind your target, and every attack save for two or three out of 30 different attack typers were positional.

Then you had positional chain attacks that only could be chained and continued if you hit from that position.

Example: Axe attack that requires you to be at the "side" of your target that has two chains that cannot continue if you miss or are countered (block/parry/dodged, etc).

I could go on but you get the point.

I've tried ESO, and after playing DAOC for 8yrs straight before quitting I can say wholeheartedly that the OP is a phony and never played DAOC for more than a year at that before quitting. They're so different it's mind bogglingly hard to think how the OP is drawing this HIGHLY differential conclusion.

As per any thread that "bashes" on any new game coming out, this is all my opinion from years of experience playing DAOC and MMOs in general.