Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO or Wildstar

YuniqueYunique Member Posts: 12

Hey guys,

Posting today as I am not sure which game to fall in love with. If ya could, let me know the pros and cons of each. They both look amazing, I'm just not sure which one to go for.

I love the Elder Scrolls Universe from countless hours spent on Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind.  Wildstar looks fun as hell, but I am still not sure

Let me know what ya think.

Comments

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I think that there's more than enough information out there and opportunities to have tried the games for yourself that if you really wanted an answer, you'd already have it.

I also think that nobody but yourself can help you.

• YuniqueYunique Member Posts: 12
    Yeah I know, just after other peoples opinions as well before I make the final call
  • DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Wildstar no competition. by far the better of the two games.
  • DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Ok, then I'll give you mine in short form.

Wildstar bored me so much that I uninstalled within an hour, whereas I placed a preorder for ESO after a similar period of time.

For me, the important parts of an MMORPG are combat, crafting, and the ability to walk my own path.

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424

After playing in both beta's I can honestly say I have my concerns about both but would like to play both as well.  ESO is a great game but suffers from some hasty dev decisions and I fear this games downfall will be greed on a corporate level,  I understand it costs alot to develop an mmorpg and you want a ROI but theres ways to go about it that dont scream greed.

Wildstar while i find the game aesthetically and mechanically appealing and could see myself in the game I had terrible frames per second (with a really good rig) in many areas in the game and large scale group content dropped me down to 4-fps so while I like the game it was unplayable last i had the chance to check it out.

If i had to make a prediction based on what ive played, seen, and read it would be Elder Scrolls Online will do OK but might go the f2p route if it cant get its crap together and Wildstar if it can iron out its optimization will be a real contended in the market.  

• nowrojnowroj Member UncommonPosts: 16

To me ESO just feels not as dynamic as other MMORPG's that are out there. The story and missions are interesting but the gameplay just seems to be lacking. 

Wildstar seems more flashy, hopefully it has the substance to keep me interested.

I really want to play Archage.

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    I've played both betas and I'm leaning toward Wildstar.  I like the looks and feel of the game.  ESO seems really bland to me and i'm not a big fan of the combat mechanics or it's class system.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Neither. 
  • NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222

Honestly you cant compare the two, theyre vast different mmorpgs catering to different playerstypes. If I were to divide the playergroups in a generic way Id say wildstar caters to a more hardcore/competitive themepark-used crowd, if you like classic mmorpgs then Wildstar is right for you as it also offers new refreshments.

TESO could also be hardcore, but also more for the open minded, those who seek a journey. Quite oposite of Wildstar, I find questing in TESO its strongpoint, and itll take far longer to get to max level in TESO than WS (not to mention questing in WS is boring, but it shouldnt matter as its not the game focus).

Instead of making lists Id just say that both games seem to have great posibilities for the future. Be it Wildstar Arena style pvp/warplots or TESO realm vs realm pvp. You just need to ask yourself what you like in mmorpgs.

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Both!

ESO is my RvR and lore fix.

While WS is my raid and arena PvP fix. 

• etharnetharn Member UncommonPosts: 152
    I honestly wonder what the developers of ESO are thinking with all this negativity towards their game. I mean every single topic about ESO I seen has someone bashing it in some way or another.

A man who fears nothing is a man who loves nothing; and if you love nothing, what joy is there in your life?

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by etharn
    I honestly wonder what the developers of ESO are thinking with all this negativity towards their game. I mean every single topic about ESO I seen has someone bashing it in some way or another.

yet it is a vocal minority.. its always those that make the loudest noises that are heard :)

• LordZeikLordZeik Member UncommonPosts: 276
    If you're not sure which one to go with then the choice is obvious. ESO. It comes out in 12 days if you preorder. Beats waiting an extra two months for something to play. If eso is good you're hooked. If you get burned out you can give wildstar a try. Win Win.
  • TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

Wildstar has the better combat of the two imho , the telegraph system gets very complex and makes action combat more complicated than just dodge the first big wind up. For me personally gonna skip them both i cannot play another themepark game and Eso has some sandbox elements but its just another take on a themepark to me. The story you see in the quests in ESO however is pretty well done you have actual choices that impact your story but to me they are both another re-run. ESO does give you a lot of flexibility with the classes since your skills come from weapon type, armor and joining guilds. So since you gain skill points in a weapon type or armor you can effectively level them all up for different roles. So if your a spell caster you can wear plate armor if you choose etc.

Most of the complaints about ESO's combat is that the animations are a bit clunky while this is true the block and counter to throw your opponent off balance is fun, but the target reticle is too forgiving hitting things should be a challenge or why not just stick with tab targeting.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by Nacario
    Originally posted by etharn

yet it is a vocal minority.. its always those that make the loudest noises that are heard :)

I second that.  I'm looking forward to ESO early access.  After getting into a couple of weekend betas, I was more than willing to pre-order it.  If you look at the post ranking of the naysayers, it's little wonder where they spend most of their time.

My personal feeling about Wildstar is that it needs more fine-tuning, and we definitely need to see a cleaner beta version with more functionality. 

I was definitely looking forward to Wildstar for a couple of years.  I liked the quirky art direction, the humor that went into the scripting (at least for the various promo videos), and the idea of taking the MMORPG experience into a fun sci-fi direction, but after a couple of Wildstar weekend betas I'm a little wary of the overall direction that game is going.  Not to say that it cannot be improved, and I am really hoping that it is.  There were plenty of in-game surveys after the numerous quest lines - unfortunately many of them crashed before I could answer them - but at least Carbine is still seeking input from the players.

So, to the original poster, if you are like me, then you love games in general, and you want to visit them for longer than a beta weekend.

Considering a console game title can last about 30-40 hours max, and they run about the same price if not more than a MMORPG with a 30-day trial period, then investing in more than one MMORPG is definitely worthwhile. 

• AvulAvul Member Posts: 196

Played both betas (WildStar for half a year, ESO for two beta weekends). For me.. the choice is crystal clear and therefor I'm going with ESO. Its strengths are immersion, story, character development and PVP. WildStar got a neat combat system and cool boss mechanics in dungeons and raids but at the end of the day it's a lot of "been there, done that before". Both games aren't perfect. ESO got more walking quests.. WildStar on the other hand will overwhelm you with tedious kill quests. It depends on how you like to play a game. If you're interested in twitchy fights or massive raids.. go with WildStar. If you like a more slowely progresion and take your time to explore a huge world then go with ESO. They're aiming for a different target audience. Vanilla WoW fans will probably enjoy WildStar for not reinventing the wheel. Oldschool RPG players will fall in love with the minimalistic UI of ESO. It's a matter of taste! For me.. ESO wins. WildStar felt too grindy and childish for me. Sorry Carbine!

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Dranny
    Wildstar no competition. by far the better of the two games.

TBH I think both are horrible games.  Both need to figure out that action combat means action combat.  Not slow snail paced combat (ESO) or quasi Right mouse held to look when reticule combat would of been 110% better. (WS)

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    This is going to be an entire thread of opinions. Here is mine. Wildstar is the kind of game you will still be playing 3 to 4 years from now. ESO is the kind of game you will be done with in 3 to 4 weeks. I like solid community and the 3 to 4 week fly by night community eso will have will not cut it for me, Wildstar is going to be my game.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Yunique

Hey guys,

Posting today as I am not sure which game to fall in love with. If ya could, let me know the pros and cons of each. They both look amazing, I'm just not sure which one to go for.

I love the Elder Scrolls Universe from countless hours spent on Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind.  Wildstar looks fun as hell, but I am still not sure

Let me know what ya think.

I gonna make it really easy making some fast comparisons with games that everyone knows.

WildStar = WoW + Disney Pixar Movies.

ESO = DaoC/Warhammer + TESO games (Skyrim, Oblivion, etc.)

That pretty much say it all about the games. 

• ev1lb0bev1lb0b Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by Righteous_Rock
    This is going to be an entire thread of opinions. Here is mine. Wildstar is the kind of game you will still be playing 3 to 4 years from now. ESO is the kind of game you will be done with in 3 to 4 weeks. I like solid community and the 3 to 4 week fly by night community eso will have will not cut it for me, Wildstar is going to be my game.

This......assuming there is a community after 3-4 weeks, I'd like to think the game has solid foundations and thus will retain players after the initial buzz has worn off.

I have played both and I cannot stand the clunky animations in ESO which kinda killed it for me. I am happy staying in hiatus from MMO's for the time being until WIldstar releases, thats the game I will be playing.

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    deleted wildstar after an hour of play loved eso played all beta weekends but each to their own i personally dont like wildstar tipe graphics and didnt find the early quests entertaining
  • CeldrynCeldryn Member Posts: 84
    I'll be happy in ESO with less than 2 weeks for pre-order bonus :D. Great game and there is a solid community behind the game. Most of what you negatively seems to be from a small minority.  ESO has what it takes to last, plus I'm tired of the animation style in Wildstar.
  • fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

If you want yet another WoW clone that managed to get close to it in terms of quality play Wildstar

If you want an extremely watered down Elder Scroll game that will just make you want to play Skyrim, go TESO.

• AvulAvul Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by Celdryn
    I'll be happy in ESO with less than 2 weeks for pre-order bonus :D. Great game and there is a solid community behind the game. Most of what you negatively seems to be from a small minority.  ESO has what it takes to last, plus I'm tired of the animation style in Wildstar.

I was kinda surprised how good the ingame community of ESO was. Met some really nice people from all over Europe. Sure.. some trolls in the /zone chats but overall I expect a fine "tone of voice" after release.. once the not interested players are gone.

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156

I have played both and I decided to purchase neither game. 

To me Wildstar was like a lot of movies the trailers looked great, but the movie just turned out alright. It is not a bad game, but the trailers to me where the best thing about it.

If you like the Elder Scrolls world then you might very well enjoy ESO. If I had to purchase one of the two it would be ESO. I enjoyed my time in ESO much more than Wildstar. That said after playing many hours of ESO something just did not click for me. If I didn't get around to playing it for a night or two it wasn't a big deal and I found myself more interested in other games.

But if you really need to ask us to tell you which game to "fall in love with" then it sounds like netiher game has really won you over, so unless you just need a game to stay in for a while maybe you should pass on both and look else where as well.