Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Review] Dark Souls II: Character Development, Frustration, & Mechanics

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,588MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

I've got to be totally honest, I didn't get Demon or Dark Souls. They seem to be part of that exclusive group of  love 'em  or hate 'em games that just don't do indifference. To some the Souls' series are frustration and pain ploughed onto a disc, and to others it's somewhere nearer fantasy perfection.

Read more of Adam Tingle's Dark Souls II: Character Development, Frustration & Mechanics.

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• dscar23dscar23 eighty four, PAPosts: 32Member

I agree with your overall score, however, the listed cons don't make sense to me. I'm about 24 hours in, and have beat the original Dark souls as well.  

I disagree with it being "hard as hell" and even more so disagree that being "hard" is a negative. Compared to DS1 I find it easier. I've definitely died less, the controls are tighter/ lock on system is more responsive. So if the "hardness" is relative to the Dark/Demon souls universe, I'd argue it's the easiest title in the series. 

Also the complaint about it being Last gen..how again is this a knock? The game has been in development for a few years, so obviously they develop it for the current (at the time) generation.  Not only that, it looks GOOD for a last gen game, especially compared to DS1.  On the 360 it looks and runs better than its predecessor. I hope GTA V got the same knock in its review.

Good review though, just my 2 cents. 

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Silverdale, WAPosts: 275Member
    Preordered for PC in April.
    Lol at the last-gen con that's pretty stupid but i dont come to this site for "reviews".
  • lickm3lickm3 PilsenPosts: 150Member

Pros
    Amazing atmosphere
    Great character development
    Hard as hell *
    Interesting level design
    Cons
    A little too similar?
    Hard as hell *
    Last Generation

Quite retarded, don't you think? First at all, make you sure what you do expect from the game. Because when you write into Pros and Cons same thing as "Hard as hell" looks like a really profesional review!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein

Haha review edit inbound. Or funny joke/bad delivery? You be the judge.
  • PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,924Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by dscar23

I disagree with it being "hard as hell" and even more so disagree that being "hard" is a negative. Compared to DS1 I find it easier. I've definitely died less, the controls are tighter/ lock on system is more responsive. So if the "hardness" is relative to the Dark/Demon souls universe, I'd argue it's the easiest title in the series. 

Well that is the thing to consider. Having played Darksouls 1, your going to naturally be able to pick up and play this game a lot better then you did the original since you pretty much were practices how to play DS2 due to having played 1. It is like getting a new back after having rode your old bike for so long. Sure the new bike might be a little different in how it 'feels' but it functions just the same as the original, so you would be able to pick up and play it a lot easier then say getitng a bike for your first time.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYPosts: 3,437Member Uncommon

I think people are reading way too much into this. Hard as hell is a pro and a con because, well depending on the player it can be either a pro or a con.

If you like a really hard game, it's a pro, if you don't, it's a con. I think they only put it on both to show that it's either going to be a plus or a minus depending on who you are and what you like.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYPosts: 3,437Member Uncommon

Originally posted by lickm3

Pros

Amazing atmosphere

Great character development

Hard as hell *

Interesting level design

Cons

A little too similar?

Hard as hell *

Last Generation

Quite retarded, don't you think? First at all, make you sure what you do expect from the game. Because when you write into Pros and Cons same thing as "Hard as hell" looks like a really profesional review!

Ironic you calling someone else retarded then typing "make you sure what you do expect"...you want to rethink that?

I just want an explanation to how being Last Gen is a con
  • shakermaker0shakermaker0 SheffieldPosts: 194Member

I wrote this review.

'Hard as hell' is both a pro and a con yes. Not a typo. The game's difficulty can be part of its charm, as well as absolutely maddening. Go an hour with a massive amount of souls, lose them all to a cheap shot, and come back and tell me that's easy to take. So in that sense, it's a great part of the game's identity but also something that makes you want to turn it off. Double-edged.

Also I see last generation as a con. We're moving into a new generation of consoles and from a purely objective view it wouldn't have been too difficult to upscale this to the more powerful machines - not offering this option was a misstep as it's hard to go back a graphical step once you've played the newer stuff and seen the new 'shiny' so to speak.

BUT this is just my viewpoint, and my personal gripes. You will have yours. As much as some people might say, a review is never going to be impartial - our own tastes, thoughts, and general feelings will always come into play, we've just got to back it up with some sort of reasoning.

Well if you think it's not a big deal to upscale the graphics for the next systems then I guess you would think thats a con. I think that is not the case at all. How do you develop a game for the next generation when you didn't have the spec's or anything revealed at the time of initial production? of course you make it for the current gen (which was 360/ps3 at that time). Why didn't GTA5 do the same thing? or why didn't the Last of Us wait for ps4? because it isn't that easy. 
  • onlinenow25onlinenow25 San Diego, CAPosts: 275Member
    Originally posted by shakermaker0

I wrote this review.

'Hard as hell' is both a pro and a con yes. Not a typo. The game's difficulty can be part of its charm, as well as absolutely maddening. Go an hour with a massive amount of souls, lose them all to a cheap shot, and come back and tell me that's easy to take. So in that sense, it's a great part of the game's identity but also something that makes you want to turn it off. Double-edged.

Also I see last generation as a con. We're moving into a new generation of consoles and from a purely objective view it wouldn't have been too difficult to upscale this to the more powerful machines - not offering this option was a misstep as it's hard to go back a graphical step once you've played the newer stuff and seen the new 'shiny' so to speak.

BUT this is just my viewpoint, and my personal gripes. You will have yours. As much as some people might say, a review is never going to be impartial - our own tastes, thoughts, and general feelings will always come into play, we've just got to back it up with some sort of reasoning.

Actually there really are no Cheap Shots in the game.  From what I have experienced every time I died in any DS game its all due to ignorance or me messing up.

After the first time you experience a "o shit were did that come from" the game basically starts screaming every time that is about to happen.  So for you to make the claim for "cheap shots" it really just shows your lack of understanding of the game, and lack of research done about the design of the game before playing it.

Also while the review is mostly praise you give it an 8.5 from what?  Just adding up your thoughts on your categories and dividing by 7 gets you 8.71 yet it drops by .21 which is almost a letter grade from what exactly?

This is a really terrible review for a SPRPGs on this site, well.... Your not going to get very many people coming here for the reason of looking at SPRPG reviews.

• YamotaYamota LondonPosts: 6,620Member

Originally posted by Fendel84M

I think people are reading way too much into this. Hard as hell is a pro and a con because, well depending on the player it can be either a pro or a con.

If you like a really hard game, it's a pro, if you don't, it's a con. I think they only put it on both to show that it's either going to be a plus or a minus depending on who you are and what you like.

I agree. For example, for me, this would be a con as I dont play single player games for their difficulty level. That is what competitive multiplayer is for.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Las Cruces, NMPosts: 354Member Uncommon
    The OP listed hard as hell under both pros and cons in order to facilitate the idea that it's a matter of perspective as to whether or not it being "hard as hell" is a good thing or a bad thing. ... .. OR, he made a pretty funny mistake. :D

• VorthanionVorthanion Laguna Vista, TXPosts: 2,117Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by onlinenow25

I wrote this review.

Actually there really are no Cheap Shots in the game.  From what I have experienced every time I died in any DS game its all due to ignorance or me messing up.

After the first time you experience a "o shit were did that come from" the game basically starts screaming every time that is about to happen.  So for you to make the claim for "cheap shots" it really just shows your lack of understanding of the game, and lack of research done about the design of the game before playing it.

Also while the review is mostly praise you give it an 8.5 from what?  Just adding up your thoughts on your categories and dividing by 7 gets you 8.71 yet it drops by .21 which is almost a letter grade from what exactly?

This is a really terrible review for a SPRPGs on this site, well.... Your not going to get very many people coming here for the reason of looking at SPRPG reviews.

Talk about making your opinion sound like it is factual.  Why don't you come down off your high horse bud.  There's nothing stopping you from publishing your own reviews and good luck not getting hammered by inconsiderate gamers like you for your troubles.  He obviously had a different experience with the game than you did, but yours is no more valid than his, thank you very much.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Halifax, NSPosts: 775Member Uncommon

So why was someone who didn't "get" the past games chosen to review this? Why did this game get an 8.5 when the reviewer had to really struggle to find cons; one of which being the same as a pro?

Very odd, if you ask me.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Halifax, NSPosts: 775Member Uncommon

Originally posted by onlinenow25

I wrote this review.

The hit boxes "seem" to be off to a lot of people, since when I watch streams I always hear them say "I was not even close to that!"

Most times it's true, they weren't near it, but it's because they made the game harder to evade than the original. You have to time your dodge as you would a parry, and not just start rolling around like crazy. People don't seem to have the timing down for the most part.

But it's true that cheap shots may occasionally happen, but for the most part, it's human error that racks up your deaths.

• EpiconEpicon Santa Rosa, CAPosts: 121Member

I know this won't be popular, but Dark Souls was an amazing game, a 9 at worst - on console. However, the port for PC, is among one of the worst I have ever played from a triple A game. So until I hear from other master race members, that Dark Souls II doesn't suffer from the same fate as it's brethren before it, this is a easy pass. Mainly because I don't own a console anymore.

Also taking points off for being, "Hard as hell", sounds like a forum user screaming for a nerf, over a member of the staff trying to give a balanced review. This game is a love letter to 16 bit games, when games were challenging, only buffed. It's loved because it is very hard, it's what the series it about. Did you not understand this going in? The skates dangerously close to a massively review or shall I say article.

Also proclaiming this game is, "Last gen", and points off for being last gen, is also poorly done. You could take points off, a game like Minecraft for having graphics from the late 90s. Or take points off a shooter for shooting too much in it. Your review isn't much different than that.

I will say this though, the fact this is last gen, could very well mean this game could end up being another badly done PC port.  The team did come out, after the petition was signed for Dark Souls to be brought on PC, and told everyone they really didn't know how to build a PC port but they would try like hell anyway. I respect that honesty, hopefully they get it figured out this time around. 

"What tastes like purple?"

• EpiconEpicon Santa Rosa, CAPosts: 121Member

Originally posted by Fendel84M

Anyone buying Dark Souls II, and not knowing it's a very hard game, is ignorant or an idiot. That's like someone buying Titan Fall, then being upset giants robots and guns are in it.

I'm just very confused, how a game, and game series built around being very challenging, torturous even, gets points knocked off for being too hard.

It's almost like this review is one big fat troll.

"What tastes like purple?"

• zellmerzellmer Fakesville, WIPosts: 442Member

Wow, this made me really question if you should even touch non mmorpg's at all..

"Dark Souls 2 is hard and to much like the first game!!!!"

That's what we freaking WANT..

• ScalplessScalpless SnowballvillePosts: 1,395Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Review
    DS2 isn't without faults though and some might question if this is enough of a change. The list of tweaks and modifications are fairly light, and in many respects this is the same adventure told through different textures.

I really have to question this. Among other things, they completely revamped movement, many of the combat systems like parrying and rolling, the multiplayer aspect (invasions while hollow, soul memory, etc.), spellcasting and character development. DS2 also runs on a new engine. Then again, the reviewer hated the first two games, so I guess he doesn't know any of this and just sees a third person dark fantasy game with swords and fireballs.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Milwaukee, WIPosts: 472Member Uncommon
    Bosses feel less inspired in DS2.
  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,272Member Uncommon
    When are they making the mmo?