Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Haven't played since I left 2 months after release - what's new?

MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

I left this game after I completed the main story and became 80 (the last thing I did before completing main story), and I just felt there was nothing left to do.

Has Arena.Net added any sort of end game?

Does it still not matter to farm gear at 80?

Does WvWvW still not matter to do?

Comments

• darkheart84darkheart84 Member UncommonPosts: 84

Part of the reason I now believe endgame is a cancer on MMOs

I mean, looking back on it, Runescape has about one of the largest playerbases (Even larger than WoW) and their endgame is no endgame, unless you're talking about years of playtime.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

Well, I guess that answered my question...

Thanks, I guess.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

What would you consider as meaningful end game?

If you like dungeons, they have added Fractals, which get harder as you repeat them. There is some 12 of them (?) at the moment.

If you like "raids", they have added two very difficult world bosses, which both require a coordinated group of ~80 people to complete.

There are also Guild Missions, which require something like 10+ coordinated players. There are several types of them, including boss fights, (jumping) puzzles and PvE challenges.

Gear wise, they have added Ascended Gear, which is not a very big jump from Exotic, but it takes quite a bit of grinding to get. It is mandatory when running higher level Fractals.

WvW is still largely the same, with one added map (Edge of the Mists) which acts as a sort of overflow map, but you can play it exclusively too, if you like. There are WvW "seasons", of which the second one is starting today. They offer some additional rewards at the end of the season. There are also WvW ranks that give you WvW points and some small random rewards. You can use these points to increase your effectiveness in WvW in various ways (such as more effective/powerful siege engines).

What GW2 still doesn't have is an endless, mandatory gear treadmill that you have to do in order to be competitive. You can still do everything except high level fractals in Exotic gear and do just fine.

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Originally posted by tom_gore

What would you consider as meaningful end game?

If you like dungeons, they have added Fractals, which get harder as you repeat them. There is some 12 of them (?) at the moment.

If you like "raids", they have added two very difficult world bosses, which both require a coordinated group of ~80 people to complete.

There are also Guild Missions, which require something like 10+ coordinated players. There are several types of them, including boss fights, (jumping) puzzles and PvE challenges.

Gear wise, they have added Ascended Gear, which is not a very big jump from Exotic, but it takes quite a bit of grinding to get. It is mandatory when running higher level Fractals.

WvW is still largely the same, with one added map (Edge of the Mists) which acts as a sort of overflow map, but you can play it exclusively too, if you like. There are WvW "seasons", of which the second one is starting today. They offer some additional rewards at the end of the season. There are also WvW ranks that give you WvW points and some small random rewards. You can use these points to increase your effectiveness in WvW in various ways (such as more effective/powerful siege engines).

What GW2 still doesn't have is an endless, mandatory gear treadmill that you have to do in order to be competitive. You can still do everything except high level fractals in Exotic gear and do just fine.

Very well said, and i for one am glad i don't have to devote my time farming the next "best" endgame gear to keep running dungeons and such. The game is uniquely fun but if you did not like it at launch then you probably wont like it now. I have been with it since launch (with a few breaks here and there) but its still fun for me.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    tom_gore's summary is dead on.

There is very little character progression once you get your exotics at 80. There is another tier of gear now but the bump in stats is insignificant plus you'll never notice the difference with down scaling.

WvW still serves no purpose, actually it serves even less a purpose then before. A few months ago they removed the matchup forums so you don't even get to brag about your success.
  • AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

To realistically answer the OP's thread title.

Scarlet's dead.

It's a matter of taste, I guess.

I for one am glad I don't have to grind dungeons endlessly to farm the next tier of gear. I can do what I feel like everytime I log in and not worry about falling behind in the progression.

I do wish they'd add more sandboxy elements to the game, though. Such as Guild Halls and/or player housing, relaxing stuff like treasure maps, fishing, etc. Also wouldn't mind proper Guild vs. Guild PvP.

If you want the traditional gear progression, there are dozens of games out there that provide exactly that. GW2 doesn't have to be like every other MMO. They've chosen a different path and I commend them for doing that.

Originally posted by AzurePrower

To realistically answer the OP's thread title.

Scarlet's dead.

The Living Story hadn't even started when he quit the game. That's like talking to a 18th century citizen suddenly being warped ahead in time to present and your summary would be "Hitler is dead".

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 542

I've played a few other mmo's but always go back to Guild wars 2. There is still sooo much they have yet to add that guild wars 1 used to have. I'm curious to see ANet's new take on the old continents.

And there is Guild vs Guild, just not entirely structured. Just travel to Obsidian Sanctum. There you'll find a lot of 1 on 1 fights and guild vs guild fights.