Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one with mixed feelings about this game?

MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

I read alot about this game the last couple of days, including what people thought about the beta.

Either people love it (the minority as it seems so far), and the rest just hates it.

Are there no one inbetween?

I didn't think the game was bad - I was actually having a blast. At start, I really hated the first 6 levels, but after that it became a little bit more interesting. I have to admit though, that the problem for me is, the content in ESO doesn't justify a sub - which is the only reason I wouldn't buy the game. I would buy in an instant, if it was b2p.

But why would I pay sub for other games, but not ESO when both are MMOs?

Because in a p2p world, there's better offer than ESO. Even in f2p there's better offers than ESO. (and here I compare what you can buy monthly in a f2p vs. What you get from the sub in ESO).

BUT - If ESO was B2P, it would in my opinion stand better than Guild Wars 2, simply because this is better. But not "worth-a-sub" better.

TL:DR I think b2p would make this game big, and p2p can eventually go ahead and kill the game.

Comments

• MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223

I played the game till level 15 in Umbra with sub-par PC. I Loved what ESO offered but it Really ( believe me i mean it ) REALLY doesn'T worth the sub-shop-box trilogy.

Therefore not in it.But don't hate it anyway.Eso does good what it does.

beLIEve

• nattkrypnattkryp Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

I read alot about this game the last couple of days, including what people thought about the beta.

Either people love it (the minority as it seems so far), and the rest just hates it.

I didn't think the game was bad - I was actually having a blast. At start, I really hated the first 6 levels, but after that it became a little bit more interesting. I have to admit though, that the problem for me is, the content in ESO doesn't justify a sub - which is the only reason I wouldn't buy the game. I would buy in an instant, if it was b2p.

Because in a p2p world, there's better offer than ESO. Even in f2p there's better offers than ESO. (and here I compare what you can buy monthly in a f2p vs. What you get from the sub in ESO).

BUT - If ESO was B2P, it would in my opinion stand better than Guild Wars 2, simply because this is better. But not "worth-a-sub" better.

TL:DR I think b2p would make this game big, and p2p can eventually go ahead and kill the game.

so what f2p is better?

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162

I agree with you OP. I was the same way with Lord Of The Rings Online when it first came out (first, not when f2p). I was so excited and looked forward to it each day. but with each passing I played, it was just missing something. I still to this day have not put my finger on it. I mean , it has the lore and characters and just a nice "feel" .. but It just did not hook me like other games have, so I left.  (Wife is the same, liked it but didn't love it and still not sure why). 

I played the beta numerous times in ESO and as great as it looks, the voices and quests were good too... It is just missing something I simply can't figure out. I hope nothing but the best for it, I really do. 

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

I m not impressed by the game after playing beta. I know its only beta, but still its a good sample.

I m not going to buy it because i don't think it deserves a sub. If it was B2P i would probably think it a lot more to pre order or to buy it when it launches.

Now there is no chance.

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252

Do the benefits and features of the Weight Watchers membership justify €15,90.- subscription fee?

Do the benefits and features of Online Dating Websites justify €29,90.- subscription fee?

The answer may only be given by yourself. The question is, is it worth to you? From an objective standpoint and while comparing TESOs subscription fee with other subscription driven services, my answer is yes. The game is in good shape. It is challenging and immersive and the designers and programmers simply deserve payment for their great work.

Also, you should consider that the world of MMOs has greatly changed since the introduction of the free-2-play payment model. It is a model that once was used to let mediocre and bad games stand a chance versus AAA online games. Then, after some time economists found out that it can easily be used to extend an online games life time or better to say, to revive almost dead games.

And please don't think that a game is free just because it has a free-2-play slogan attached to it's advertisement. Some games have mastered to grab your cash by appealing micro transactions that quickly sum up, by offering high priced "must-have-to-compete"-content or by utilizing psychological strategies you would never have thought worked just to make you buy something. In the end you will come up with €30,00.- to €100,00.- per month. This is when you wished the game had a subscription fee and maybe a store for account services.

• RiannesRiannes Member UncommonPosts: 98

That's a fair assessment.

The game is decent. but at least to me it does feel like profit making is being prioritized over great game making (this is probably true for most games but it is even more so for eso).

pve. i dont think eso can compete against what are/will be on the market. which is understandable because pve imo is not intended to be its strongest trait (pve in this context are dungeons etc, end game pve contents etc. not including leveling phase because i think eso is doing ok in that aspect - given they fix most of the bugs).

pvp. (AvA) direct competition with gw2 imo and its debatable which is better. however, gw2 is probably the best value game on the market considering its b2p model and this puts eso at a disadvantage.

eso has great potential sure. its es ip, no surprise. but i hope the devs (& their business associates) focus on making a great game first & foremost and then the money will come later. lets hope it overcome its many challenges.

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Well the game is not B2P or F2P  so thats irrelavant, what it comes down to is, was it fun enough for me to switch from the game I am currently subing to...I have mixed feelings on that.

Godz of War I call Thee

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

its certainly not a bad mmo, but there are lots of things that i dint understand from Zenimax.

The oldschool UI elements
    The Interface
    The Inventory
    Horrible animations for both casting and walking
    Impact of your damage is almost invisible
    Doing pvp and shooting your enemy without seeing if you hit it or missed your shot kinda sucks major balls.
    Realy hard to target their healer/'s when people stack up, imposible tbh.
    Locking Imperial Race + Gear away behind a collectors edition while also asking a subscription.......
    I heared the Horse you get with it is also the fastest horse ingame so for pvp its kinda mandatory to have that stuff (not 100% sure about it tough)

Then the weird decision to let you start out with sword and all kinds of strange phasing bugs or quest mobs / items not spawning.
    Yes it was beta and maybe it get all fixed within those few days ( wich i think is imposible)

These are but a handfull of things that made me turn away from ESO.
    It might get better after launch, and maybe i will pick it up in the future.
    But i will not buy another mmo like all the previous one's that go flat on their face 3 months after release and drop half the price or even go Free to Play.

My guts is telling me that this will be SWTOR all over again.
    And i payed SWTOR 2x for me and the lady as it costed me 180 euro.....no sir not going to happen :)

But !!! it might turn out to be a good mmo in time so who knows :)
    Wait and see is my advise, unless you have plenty of money laying around and no kids ripping you off each day :)

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I suppose it depends on what you read, and what your personal feelings are about the game, because whatever you read or hear will be filtered through your personal bias.

The majority of opinions I've seen after the beta weekend are positive about ESO. There are certainly some concerns about the first week or two after launch, but that is to be expected with any AAA MMO launch.

Personally, I can't wait for launch, even though I expect it to be quite rough. Pre-orders seem to be doing so well that ESO might even break all previous records for player numbers at launch ! It will definitely push the phasing mechanics to the limit.

There are currently no P2P MMO's that offer better value than ESO, and there most certainly aren't any F2P titles that even come close. Those people that don't feel ESO is worth a sub won't be playing it, of course, but that's no problem. Millions of people feel that WoW isn't worth a sub too.

Two weeks from now, I'll be in Tamriel !!

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Riannes

eso has great potential sure. its es ip, no surprise. but i hope the devs (& their business associates) focus on making a great game first & foremost and then the money will come later. lets hope it overcome its many challenges.

This. And I hope it sinks in!

We all want developers to first and foremost focus on making a great game. A free-2play-model will always limit developers, because the majority of their work time they MUST work on content that helps to increase revenue. If a development studio on the other hand has got a subscription fee based game, this means that the development studio has got a fix income they can calculate with making it easier to focus on fun content for the gamers instead of working on the next monetization package.

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by Mothanos

its certainly not a bad mmo, but there are lots of things that i dint understand from Zenimax.

The oldschool UI elements
    The Interface
    The Inventory
    Horrible animations for both casting and walking
    Impact of your damage is almost invisible
    Doing pvp and shooting your enemy without seeing if you hit it or missed your shot kinda sucks major balls.
    Realy hard to target their healer/'s when people stack up, imposible tbh.
    Locking Imperial Race + Gear away behind a collectors edition while also asking a subscription.......
    I heared the Horse you get with it is also the fastest horse ingame so for pvp its kinda mandatory to have that stuff (not 100% sure about it tough)

Then the weird decision to let you start out with sword and all kinds of strange phasing bugs or quest mobs / items not spawning.
    Yes it was beta and maybe it get all fixed within those few days ( wich i think is imposible)

These are but a handfull of things that made me turn away from ESO.
    It might get better after launch, and maybe i will pick it up in the future.
    But i will not buy another mmo like all the previous one's that go flat on their face 3 months after release and drop half the price or even go Free to Play.

My guts is telling me that this will be SWTOR all over again.
    And i payed SWTOR 2x for me and the lady as it costed me 180 euro.....no sir not going to happen :)

But !!! it might turn out to be a good mmo in time so who knows :)
    Wait and see is my advise, unless you have plenty of money laying around and no kids ripping you off each day :)

The horse you get is not the fastest in the game. :-)

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by nattkryp
    so what f2p is better?

Depends on how you compare. If you compare vs content, PvP, PvE, or whatever you might compare it to.

Combat wise, I cant think of any alternative, that is true.

But if you compare lets say Rift to ESO - then you really cant justiry sub for ESO - and that comes from someone who actually like ESO combat but dislikes Rift. But I am talking about the whole economy model.

Both has cash shops, and both had(ESO still has) sub.

Other sub games also has cash shop - like WoW - but the big difference is that it seems like ESO already is prepared for f2p or b2p, because of pay 2 win on the shops like the horse.

Both WoW, ESO, and Rift has mounts in their cash shop - but in WoW you still have to buy riding skill. I cant remember in Rift, I also think you should have riding skill first but nore sure - also, the game has no sub or box price so I dont think thats unfair - however, in ESO, you have to have an insane amount of gold before you can buy a horse - or pay up front in cash shop.

Aion also gives more content and also some sort of world PvP/ RvR. I think we can agree that the gameplay mechanic and the combat feel is hideous compared to ESO, but still, content wise, it smash ESO's skull hard.

Of course we can go debate about this day and night - because WoW has sub+ cash shop (though now p2w), and Wild Star will also run with a sub - so why shouldn't ESO?

First of all, ESO is build on the lore of ES, which has always been SP games. So, if a ES fan wants to play ESO, he is suddently meeting a monthly paywall.

Also, ESO is torn between two worlds. On one side, it want's to be a MMO - but on the other side, it want's to cater to the previous (SP) ES fans.

I can even buy GW2, which is also only boxed price, and get a close feeling to ESO's AvA - where I in ESO has to pay monthly sub for this. I am not interested in the PvE at all, since it for me is poorly made. I can see the potential in AvA, since I love DAoC styled PvP - but if I can get the somewhat same feeling in another game that only has box price, I think it could hurt ESO bad.

Of course, this is just my thoughts, and like everyone else in this thread, I could be wrong. If I could see forth in time, I bet ya I would quit my job and participate in the lottery on daily basis.

Also, keep in mind that I don't say that ESO is a bad game. But looke at the previous years - have you not learned anything?

Aion = box+sub = f2p

Rift = box+sub = f2p/sub

TSW = box+sub = box

AoC = box+sub = f2p

Some one these game has quality - yet could not stand up for box and sub. And ESO has the same quality at some places, and worse quality on other places, so I doubt it will stay boxed+ sub in a long time. And it is a chance I am willing to take, so I would not pre order I decided today.

I really do like the game, and I would really like to play - but if I cannot justify a paywall, I will not support it.

Just because I like a game, it doesnt mean I would throw money at my screen playing it. Imagine you had to play monthly fee to all type og games - CS: GO, BF4 etc. Those games are also good, but neither worth a sub.

EDIT: Also if you have tried the beta, you can clearly feel the game is made with consoles in mind, giving the PC users a dumbed down game.

Originally posted by nattkryp
    so what f2p is better?

Other sub games also has cash shop - like WoW - but the big difference is that it seems like ESO already is prepared for f2p or b2p, because of pay 2 win on the shops like the horse.

Pay 2 win... On a horse? Wat.

Having a horse is a huge advantage and it does not require a riding skill.

If you could buy end game gear it wouldnt probably mean pay 2 win for you either.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

If you could buy end game gear it wouldnt probably mean pay 2 win for you either.

So, according to your logic, all F2P games are Pay-2-Win ?

• EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 416

When i'm browsing the different forums on Mmorpg.com i've come to a conclusion; there's a general consensus against subscriptions based models. People are treating the 15 dollars (which is -nothing-) as if it'll make you eat catfood instead of regular food. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that is because people don't see the reasoning behind a sub model. You've gotten used to free to play models that seemingly work and think everyone should follow suit. Here's the reality though, they don't. All, and i mean all, the free to play games are shells of what they could've been. The content they are releasing are small and cheap to make as the big shot games only have a tiny amount of people left working on the game. The only exeption to this is Rift. Rift launched a large expansion in the hopes that the money they spent on it would bring enough players back to justify the cost they couldn't actually afford (yeah, not enough money from a free to play model to fund this without eating into the company's health)...Sadly, that didn't happen and they had to fire most of their staff. 

Sure SWTOR is making money now, and they release content on a regular basis..But gone are the plans for huge expansions with big changes and new gameplay mechanics, instead they're releasing small updates..with the biggest since the release being 1 single planet..and now a dogfightning module which isn't that great after the first 15 minutes. You could've had new classes, new tradeskills, free roaming in space..a multitude of new planets, update to the graphics engine, new cinematics, a multitude of new followers (and new ways to interract with them) and a module for rearranging your ship's layout at will...But with only a tiny crew and nada money for anything but making the game profitable for EA, that's not going to happen.

Also i'm seeing a pattern emerge...The pattern is this..People are tired of the recipy ...They are tired of the things that defines an mmorpg. Quests...bleh... lore...bleeh.....go save this dude from those guys and report back to me..bleh.

You're expecting something new, an online game which will blow your mind without actually knowing how such a game would've even look like. 

The Elder Scrolls Online does little differently from other Mmorpgs, and that is in my opinion a good thing. Try too many new things, and your game will fall on it's ass because you're trying too hard (Yes Tera, i'm looking at you, great combat, everything else was mediocre). The biggest change from recent online rpgs is the leveling pace..It's slower, it makes you stay in an area for a longer period of time than has been the norm for the last mmorpgs of this scale. It encourages you to read books and parchments and take your time to get to know mechanics.

Sadly people take this as a sign of weakness, because whenever people log into an mmorpg now, they wanna "race to the finish" .."get to max level..finish my dailies, do my daily  battlegrounds..do that raid and i'm done for today" The actual process is forgotten as long as it's fast and painless 

I'm not expecting the elder scrolls online to last as a subscription based game, i'm saying it wil be a worse game because it won't. It has the potentital for greatness, but people's inabillity to wait for game to "get to that state" is gone, along with their will to actual "play" their games, instead of racing through them.

And one more thing, about the stupid horse. You get one for free if you do the intro quest to cyrodiil at level 10, no need to spend 17k gold on one, people are whining because they lack knowledge.

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

So, according to your logic, all F2P games are Pay-2-Win ?

Games that makes advantages over other people yes.

What do you think a p2w game is?

If it's not to have advantages over other people, than I don't know what you think a p2w game is.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Why do SOME people do this. You kindly dislike something this = hate. What in the world are you talking about?

So far I think I read and seen in game chat about a handful saying they love the game. Countless others saying they dislike it, to many bugs, to high price, not for them blah blah. Yet I have not read any saying OMG I HATE IT! So

Come back from la la land (steve martin).

Originally posted by Zeblade

Why do SOME people do this. You kindly dislike something this = hate. What in the world are you talking about?

So far I think I read and seen in game chat about a handful saying they love the game. Countless others saying they dislike it, to many bugs, to high price, not for them blah blah. Yet I have not read any saying OMG I HATE IT! So

Come back from la la land (steve martin).

Are you even in the right thread?

They're not even close to being the same, so don't slot them together. End game gear is one thing, but a mount? How can that be pay 2 win? You can easily obtain mounts in the game without using any sorts of shops or pre-orders. There are many good ways to make money in the game.

Originally posted by Adokas

They're not even close to being the same, so don't slot them together. End game gear is one thing, but a mount? How can that be pay 2 win? You can easily obtain mounts in the game without using any sorts of shops or pre-orders. There are many good ways to make money in the game.

In my opinion, the game is p2w with cash shop. I really dont care if you dont agree with me - you are eligable to have your opinion - but respect mine aswell.

There is not reason to discuss this further between us. We will never share same opinion.

• tyranadetyranade Member UncommonPosts: 18

I've got concerns, mainly from what I've seen myself and heard from fellow testers. I think it may be nice enough to

play through, but after that not much. I'm not pre-ordering, instead I'm going to see what happens and make a decision later.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

A level 20 player A bought the mount, save 14k gold, buys full set of blue/purple gear from other players.

Another is a level 20 player who didn't buy the mount, save 14k gold to buy the mount, full quest gears are all he have.

Then they met in RvR, 1 by 1.

Who's gonna win?

Originally posted by inemosz

A level 20 player A bought the mount, save 14k gold, buys full set of blue/purple gear from other players.

Versus a level 20 player who didn't buy the mount, save 14k gold to buy the mount, wearing full quest gears.

Who'll win?

According to what I read many places + people I asked ingame, there is really no gear treadmill. It is more about skills than gear.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by inemosz

Another is a level 20 player who didn't buy the mount, save 14k gold to buy the mount, full quest gears are all he have.

Who's gonna win?

Whomever has the better skill with his or her character, of course.