Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NPC collision detection opinions?

RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
Yeah so you bump into an npc now and it might as well be a stone statue. They don't step aside or react at all. I think it is less realistic than just going through them. 

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I didn't notice much difference to be honest ( in hit detection or general feel of combat).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

I loved the collision.

Only problem is, I don't think it was enough to improve the feel of combat- it Still had a floaty feeling to it.

• DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189
    It come as an annoyance for me. So many time I run and get block by NPC where in previous beta tests I feel more freely roaming around. I don't notice the different during combat from all the beta tests, so not quite sure what is there to improve the gameplay?
  • pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    I never noticed I could walk through them and I barely notice when I bump into them.  This had zero impact on my game play.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

While I think some form of mass calculation on impact would be cool being able to move NPC's would be a disaster and so abused it's not even funny so I can understand why they wouldn't do it.

Bouncing off a small NPC toon while on a horse does seem off and don't go afk at the top of a walls where NPC's roam or they can push you off.

• kujiikujii Member UncommonPosts: 190
    It sure didn't improve the melee combat as I had hoped.  There was no feel or look of impact. 
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

yeah i didn't notice a difference really, either.

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168
    I like it.  It makes it feel like they actually exist and take up space in the world and aren't just all ghosts.  For me it helped the feel of combat, not significantly on its own, but some at least.  Of course there are more things that add to the feel of combat than just CD.  Animations were improved too which helped the combat feel better for me.  My only issue was some laggyness and delay that wasn't there in previous betas, in which the impact/sound wouldnt hit until a second or so after i swung or where the enemy could slash me from 30ft away with his sword.  However, I'm sure they will fix these things sooner or later.

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Felt better to me.
  • spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Def an improvement for me. Playing in first person as a melee, I enjoyed combat much more. However, my charge skill seems to place me beside the mob, as opposed to right in front of it now. So I believe there is some cleanup work to do, but overall a mild annoyance for me.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I didnt notice much as far as moving around the land but in melee combat I could feel it. My weapon would slow down slightly when it would hit an enemy and that felt pretty good. I didnt haven a problem with combat prior but it added a bit more feel to it.
  • sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    going to be fun when groups of like minded trolls are blocking out quest givers
  • BrannagarBrannagar Member CommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by sethman75
    going to be fun when groups of like minded trolls are blocking out quest givers

Yeah.  Except that can't happen.  Collision is only on for NPCs......

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Actually forgot all about that. Didnt notice it. Thats why.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    I still had NPCs going through me (not all the time, mind you, but enough to make it annoying) whenever I used a gap closer like my Dragon Knight's chain pull. They would get pulled...but just a bit too close, that if (when) I am fighting in 1st person they end up below my view. Sometimes it even seems like they get flung either inside or behind me. 
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Divona
    It come as an annoyance for me. So many time I run and get block by NPC where in previous beta tests I feel more freely roaming around. I don't notice the different during combat from all the beta tests, so not quite sure what is there to improve the gameplay?

Yes... in towns groups of NPCs blocking my path, while there was clearly enough  room to move pass them... or between them, and you could not, the CD needs some finetuning for that.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• hg2012hg2012 Member Posts: 69
    The collision boxes were far too wide IMO.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

didn't notice a difference. (I don't make a habit of running into npc's)

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

IMO NPC's should "move" aside if you run into them and >keep< moving , like how almost every single game otu there with npc's has did in the past decade + when they realized "hey, immovable npc's that block you aren't....fun."

Don't get me wrong, it's good to have collision detection, but they should move/react when you do bump into them.

• DaemonweaverDaemonweaver Member UncommonPosts: 124
    I really didn't notice any difference, combat still felt floaty and is still the weakest past of the game for me, which is a shame. However I am really enjoying ESO and cant wait for launch.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Stiler

IMO NPC's should "move" aside if you run into them and >keep< moving , like how almost every single game otu there with npc's has did in the past decade + when they realized "hey, immovable npc's that block you aren't....fun."

Don't get me wrong, it's good to have collision detection, but they should move/react when you do bump into them.

It's what happens when you make last minute changes that had no iterative process.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson