Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: Why Don't More People Play TSW?

1789101113»

Comments

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    I stopped playing because of the oral sex scene in the first 5 minutes, I knew where this game was going. I don't need to watch video games for that... lol
  • CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220
    because its boring and outdated! Its a game similar to stuff I was playing in 1999... the gear, the leveling system, the spells, to the groups everything is just plan bad.  You would actually have to PAY me to play this game and that's no joke.  Also I am not a hater I just have played the game enough to know its a bad game and terribly boring.
  • mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Its just not a very fun game
  • Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

After many, many years of playing P2P games or games which require me to purchase the box, I've come to the realization that P2P games are no better or worse than F2P games. They all have bugs, they generally have some form of item shop/micro transaction, they tend to be sporradic with their updates. If TSW went completely F2P (i.e. no box purchase required) then I'd download it and give it a go.

Game developers have burned the MMO community so many times that I no longer feel they deserve my money to open Beta test their game or to "just give them a little more time" to fix X, Y, and Z. If I play the game more than the first hour then I'll spend my money on XP boosts or cosmetics items. Otherwise I refuse to support bad game play and bad developers.

• nucjimbonucjimbo Member Posts: 33

The questing is honestly too hard for me. I'm embarrassed to say it, but I'm just not clever enough for some of them. I genuinely enjoyed the game though. I went through the first couple zones and I think I even got to Egypt.

Great game...just wish I was a better gamer.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    I would have given it a try if it had some sort of trial.  There aren't many games I will buy these days without having played first.  Considering the comments I hear about TSW it makes it hard to go just on faith, even though it sounds like I might enjoy it.
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I am a very fussy MMO gamer , so because it hasn't a leveling system ( using numbers ) then I didn't bother when it came out. I would of otherwise as it looked really cool.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by SBFord

Go to any forums for MMOs and you will eventually find people bemoaning the fact that every MMO out there is the same. Maybe they use words like “WoW clone” or “copycat” but the idea is always the same, there just isn’t enough variety in MMOs. And yes, the industry is filled with one fantasy game after another. But there are other games that get over looked. Whenever I see someone complaining all MMOs are the same I ask them, “What about The Secret World?”

Read more of Shannon Doyle's The Secret World: Why Don't More People Play TSW?

For me...I need a game with owpvp...lots of it.  TSW doesn't have that.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347

Sadly, what drove me away from the game was more the people than the gameplay... 

Certain members of the community there have a toxicity about them making the whole game unenjoyable.    In addition to just some of the worst people I've encountered in an MMO in my entire life, there's also the thriving "YOU NEED X Y Z GEAR TO TALK TO ME" kind of groups and elitist attitude at the end game which makes it just a massive turn off.

I say these things as the guy who made the TSW site and guides in my signature.    So I can say at one point,  I was a massive fan of the game.   But it doesn't take much for people to ruin things. 

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Abuz0r
    I stopped playing because of the oral sex scene in the first 5 minutes, I knew where this game was going. I don't need to watch video games for that... lol

There is very little sexual content in the game. I do agree that was a bit odd, only one faction got that starting scene btw.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Sigurd57

Sadly, what drove me away from the game was more the people than the gameplay... 

Certain members of the community there have a toxicity about them making the whole game unenjoyable.    In addition to just some of the worst people I've encountered in an MMO in my entire life, there's also the thriving "YOU NEED X Y Z GEAR TO TALK TO ME" kind of groups and elitist attitude at the end game which makes it just a massive turn off.

I say these things as the guy who made the TSW site and guides in my signature.    So I can say at one point,  I was a massive fan of the game.   But it doesn't take much for people to ruin things. 

While I don't play the endgame grind (just a few runs here and there occasionally), that's sadly true. I used to put those on ignore in my games with a note "elitist", but man, I've never filled my ignore list in games faster than in TSW...

Luckily the game itself is amazing and the endgame is just a boring grind anyways ;)

(btw. unfair is a nice site image)

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Originally posted by Robsolf
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    Originally posted by Robsolf

"Why don't more people play TSW?"

Has that question been answered adequately?  If not, what will it take?

1. Age of Conan/Funcom haters
    2. Too steep a learning curve for deck system out of the gate
    3. Not enough prep for differences from the typical WoW-clone.
    4. Niche setting, i.e. "not fantasy"
    5. Thinking required
    6. Animations and/or builder/consumer, e.g. "combat suxxx" but see 2 above
    7. Endgame grind
    8. PvP
    9. Underpowered PCs trying to run on DX11 and high settings (esp. on Win8)

Things to make it better:

1. Better tutorials or beginner missions that explain how the system is different.  To be specific, better explanation of the "swiss-army knife" approach to deck building and tailoring your build to the obstacle (both in the PvE and PvP space)
    2. Revamped pre-made decks
    3. Animation improvements (but I think the people who say they would come back for this are overstating it)
    4. Better intro to PvP, along with gear/skill bracketing for matches
    5. Better matching of game settings to system spec
    6. More content!

I don't entirely disagree with the complaints; particularly 4...(I LOVE this genre.  And when this game's launch performance made a beeline to meh-town, it broke my heart.  If you forget combat, it does so many things so well...

But the things to make it better:

I don't think those things will significantly change how many people play this game.  Sure, more of the right content will make people play more often.  But pre-made decks, even if they're "20%" better than mine, which I consider to be pretty good, people will still be both frustrated and bored by combat. 

Animations?  not a big deal to me.

My system has zero problems running this game at a decent frame rate, and some core components are 5+ years old.

I don't care about PvP.

At the core, it's the combat system that's killing this game.  Not so much the skill wheel, but the idea that encounters should last 30-60 seconds, and should occur every couple minutes/hundred meters.  It would be poison to other MMO's, and in this game it's even worse.

You forgot 1 reason:

EA

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• jamigrejamigre Member UncommonPosts: 280

I recently came back to the game, and it's been loads of fun, esp. the new stuff, and I always play w/ another person. It's loads more fun multiplayer. And to this day TSW is one of my fave games of all time. 

-------
    Check out my side project http://lfger.com/  - a mobile lfg tool for any game, any time. 
    -------

• briskojrbriskojr Member Posts: 64
    I'd consider buying it if I could try it out first... They really should give a trial or something. 
  • nucjimbonucjimbo Member Posts: 33
    After thinking about it a bit, I've just started downloading it. I bought it when it first came out. I liked it, but my friends were all doing GW2 so I went to that. Now I live in another country, so I'm gonna try this game again.
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

The Secret World is let down by it's gameplay and it's questing. It's got nice lore and puzzles, the graphics are good, not fantastic, but good. The sound design and music is also pretty and the community is alright. A few asshats here and there, but it's the internet, so what can you do? It also has some great diologue and creature design, so it's a compelling and interesting world with some top notch production value.

But the combat is just horrible. It's clunky and unresponsive. The guns and melee weapons lack impact and the lackluster animation doesn't help. Overall it looks and feels awkward. When leveling up it also occupies that strange place where you either destroy everything, or get completely get your ass kicked. But even when the difficulty hits the sweet spot, it isn't interesting. You dodge to the side, hit your rotation, the mob telegraphs an AOE you dodge to the side, hit a rotation.. and so on.

The questing is just your typical kill this, fetch this, click this. Although the tedium is hidden behind some great voice acting and good dialogue, the repitition begins to get to you.

All in all, the problems that the secret world has is very much typical of what wrong with a lot of MMORPGS. Some high production value, let down by dull and poorly executed gameplay and unimaginitive questing system. There are some issues with it but in the main these are the two reasons I will never pick it up again.