Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In your circle of real life friends, what MMORPGs are popular?

2»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide
    they're all pretending to be grown up at the moment so none of them are playing right now...

hmmmm, I think I see a pattern in this thread ... image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I know 53 people locally that play wow that I would consider part of my circle.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

All the people i know either don't like gaming period or have quit gaming aside from the odd FB game.Really most of the people i know just do the family thing or get drunk every night or both.

I think it shows how little this industry has done to really grab the attention of people.I feel it was the DSl internet that grabbed more attention than the actual games.Sort of like every new gimmick that comes out,people want it ,then need to find something to use it on.

There is simply not enough good quality competition in this game industry so developers can kind of do like the shopping outlets,just copy each other's efforts and prices.

Myself  i am also having a real tough time enjoying any of these games for more than one month.These games are too much a business for profit than anything done really good by a gamer with heart.If i owned any of these games,i would not feel good about the effort,imo they all barely scratch the surface,they are all 5/10 efforts.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    The best man in my wedding was a real life friend that I got to play ffxi. Even when I moved away we kept in contact because of ffxi. Now even though we both don't play we talk on a weekly basis. We got a few other rl friends to try but the longest lasted about 2 years before.
    My first mmo was daoc when I was a freshman in 6 of us in first period played together along with about 10 others at my school.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

One that I know off tends to log into Neverwinter Online now and then. But most are playing minecraft atm. I made a modpack and created a server for us. And at the same time, I seem to be the only one of my core MMO playing group that is keeping an eye on upcoming MMO's :p  Rest is just mostly playing minecraft and singleplayer games.

• mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146
    At one time the wife and kids played Daoc, CoH, and a bit of Wow with me. None of my RL friends play online games most are just too busy.At present I am not playing anything but hoping something might pop up that i will want to play within the next year.
  • drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    My IRL friends have probably never even heard of any other MMORPG's outside of WoW. It is really the only game that transcends the genre - and no I haven't played in years.
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    None.  Of all of my  friends, only one plays any MMOs at all and that's WoW.  Otherwise, the rest of them consider MMOs to be a waste of time.

Same here, except it's SWTOR not WoW.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    My circle of friends play mainly SWTOR and Neverwinter.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    I'm curious to know the ages of the people who have friend that play and friends that don't. I suspect the younger people have friends that play and the older generation have friends that do other things.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

My wife play FF14, but other than that nothing really.

Strangely in my gaming community all the Cryptic games (STO and Neverwinter mainly) seem to be our strongest branches, but TOR and DDO still do well, but TOR doesnt really see any new apps.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by mbd1968
    I'm curious to know the ages of the people who have friend that play and friends that don't. I suspect the younger people have friends that play and the older generation have friends that do other things.

It might be a bell curve, one age group plays but the younger are moving more toward mobile, while the older dont play games.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    None.  Of all of my  friends, only one plays any MMOs at all and that's WoW.  Otherwise, the rest of them consider MMOs to be a waste of time.

Same here, except it's SWTOR not WoW.

My friend has played WoW since about 2006 and doesn't care enough about MMOs to change to anything else.  Once he gets tired of it, he'll just stop playing completely.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I and my friend are in our mid-40s.  The majority of my friends do not now, nor have they ever had any interest in MMOs, even when they were younger.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Funnily enough I know three people who play MMO's besides my wife and I in RL, they play TOR. We're waiting on ESO.

Most of the people I know don't play games at all. They thinks it's too nerdy, I guess most are kinda hipsterish though.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

This.

I have more fingers on one hand than friends or acquaintances that play online games. Two RL friends Play EVE, one used to play LotRO but hasn't in years. I do well to find people who even know the names of MMO's outside of WoW.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

None of my friends like or play any type of RPG's.  Most of them either like shooters or racing games.

My brother likes RPG"s but he doesn't play them that often anymore.  I think he's on an RTS kick right now.  My wife only likes puzzle and arcade games.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383

None .... we have tried most of them ... Even the new offerings ESO & Wildstar really don't do much for us.  The Repopulation has peaked our interest....

I only have two friends that play MMO's and they are both out of state. 

The majority of my RL friends will hit me up to play Madden, MLB , FIFA  all sports game with an occasional FPS mixed in.