Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Experience

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I've been primarily focused on my Marauder this past weekend, But I have tried a couple other classes. The inquisitor interests me. Is the Jedi Consular the same? For the DPS advanced class, is the Consular like a Rogue or a caster?
  • Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    The Shadow is the rogue/tank version the safe is the same as the sorc.

While I was working today, I had SWTOR up on my PC from time to time. With very little distraction to my work, I was able to lean over and send m companion on missions. The crafting system has kinda grown on me.

While the individual tasks take longer, they don't require 100% of my attention. The system overall has its conveniences and inconveniences. But as a whole, I really don't mind it.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

While I was working today, I had SWTOR up on my PC from time to time. With very little distraction to my work, I was able to lean over and send m companion on missions. The crafting system has kinda grown on me.

While the individual tasks take longer, they don't require 100% of my attention. The system overall has its conveniences and inconveniences. But as a whole, I really don't mind it.

Yeah it's one thing that WOW is about to copy from SWTOR within their garrisons. I might go back to crafting once I get my last few characters to 55.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    I've been primarily focused on my Marauder this past weekend, But I have tried a couple other classes. The inquisitor interests me. Is the Jedi Consular the same? For the DPS advanced class, is the Consular like a Rogue or a caster?

Each advanced class gets one DPS tree, so technically both ACs are DPS classes.  The Shadow is close range with the option of being a "Rogue Tank" and the Sage is long range with the option of being a Healer.  I do *not* recommend Sage under any circumstance though, if you want the ranged caster experience, do it by having your Inquisitor be a  Sorcerer.  If you want to play Consular, go Shadow.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

I chose the Assassin Advanced. But I have to say, It was strange since I rolled a Sith race and going through the story as a "slave" and non pure blooded Sith, but that's what I was.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Yesterday I paid more attention to fulfilling the codex, and realised that some entries are achieved by doing or accepting some side quests. If you miss side quests then you will miss out on some codex entries, so best do these side quests and then miss others.

You can find all the info here (for corsucant) but browse database for anything you want

eg to get the Black Bisector title you need to do the series of quests with the droids in the senate building. I skipped this one, but in future I will add this one to my list of side quests not to skip.

Also by missing side quests you miss out on achievements, DS/LS points, affection points, credits (which are more needed when starting the game and may find you do not have enough to pay for training. If you have levelled up chars first and got plenty credits on them you can transfer credits from them to your new char)

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

I've completed 3 of 4 Empire stories. Which republic class has the best story?

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

Originally posted by Tygranir

Smuggler.

EDIT: To clarify, Smuggler has the best story if looked at by itself.  Jedi Knight has the story that adds the most to narrative threads seen in other stories, it and Sith Warrior are in many ways two sides of the same coin, but if judged in isolation it is more "traditional" and cliched.

The Force shall free me.

Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Originally posted by Tygranir

Smuggler.

EDIT: To clarify, Smuggler has the best story if looked at by itself.  Jedi Knight has the story that adds the most to narrative threads seen in other stories, it and Sith Warrior are in many ways two sides of the same coin, but if judged in isolation it is more "traditional" and cliched.

Cool, thanks a bunch!

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

I'll open with I'm still playing and enjoying this game. However, some of the side quests could have been done better. What Imperial Officer in their right mind would interrupt a Sith Lord Apprentice and start begging of him/her to do menial tasks they themselves are incapable of? The set up for side quests just isn't believable.. I just completed the Revanite camp line last night. It left me shaking my head in disbelief. On top of being totally rushed through, I remained true to my Sith character in every question they asked, I was confrontational, rude and showed no sign that I accepted their ways. I mean a military officer who disapproves of your answer, then sics security droids on you and when you beat up his droids, it was all  "Just Kidding" ? And now he believes in you? Really? Yet at the end of it all (A very short and rushed end), Their master comes to me and "believes in me" having given them no reason to in the 1st place? Again, The level of stupidity resonating from these NPCs just doesn't work. Any group that dumb would never have lasted.

Anyway, I was glad to put that Arc behind me.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

See the thing I enjoyed most although many found it disorientating the characters you may meet as a Jedi Knight you will meet as an Imperial Agent or Sith Warrior and they will be in different circumstances but the story is suppose to be happening at the same time. So in one scenario the Republic is winning in Taris and as a Imperial the Republic loses. So some found this ridiculous but bear in mind these stories are meant to be played one at a time so that such glaring things can be avoided.

I did appreciate the fact that the characters kept their role like that Rakghoul Doctor you meet as a Republic character you meet later hiding out ....well I will not spoil it for you.

Lot of folks found SWTOR bad because of the focus on the story but I really connected with the NPCs like how I did in Mass Effect I love this type of story thing and I may be that is the reason I enjoy this game so much whereas others skip dialogue I go through them even after having played the side quests before I still replay the dialogue.

Chamber of Chains

I'll open with I'm still playing and enjoying this game. However, some of the side quests could have been done better. What Imperial Officer in their right mind would interrupt a Sith Lord Apprentice and start begging of him/her to do menial tasks they themselves are incapable of? The set up for side quests just isn't believable.. I just completed the Revanite camp line last night. It left me shaking my head in disbelief. On top of being totally rushed through, I remained true to my Sith character in every question they asked, I was confrontational, rude and showed no sign that I accepted their ways. I mean a military officer who disapproves of your answer, then sics security droids on you and when you beat up his droids, it was all  "Just Kidding" ? And now he believes in you? Really? Yet at the end of it all (A very short and rushed end), Their master comes to me and "believes in me" having given them no reason to in the 1st place? Again, The level of stupidity resonating from these NPCs just doesn't work. Any group that dumb would never have lasted.

Anyway, I was glad to put that Arc behind me.

Yeah, you can really feel the quality difference between the class story content and most of the rest of the content.  One of the reasons I only did a "full" playthrough on my Imperial Agent and Smuggler is precisely because so many of the quests don't make sense for a Force User.  A lot of them arguably don't make sense for any important character, but arguably is better than definitely.

Originally posted by cheyane

See the thing I enjoyed most although many found it disorientating the characters you may meet as a Jedi Knight you will meet as an Imperial Agent or Sith Warrior and they will be in different circumstances but the story is suppose to be happening at the same time. So in one scenario the Republic is winning in Taris and as a Imperial the Republic loses. So some found this ridiculous but bear in mind these stories are meant to be played one at a time so that such glaring things can be avoided.

I did appreciate the fact that the characters kept their role like that Rakghoul Doctor you meet as a Republic character you meet later hiding out ....well I will not spoil it for you.

Lot of folks found SWTOR bad because of the focus on the story but I really connected with the NPCs like how I did in Mass Effect I love this type of story thing and I may be that is the reason I enjoy this game so much whereas others skip dialogue I go through them even after having played the side quests before I still replay the dialogue.

Actually, it's not at the same time.  Each planet is at a specific point in the timeline, and Taris and Balmorra are unique in that the two factions visit them at different points in the timeline.  Republic Taris occurs before Imperial Taris, and Imperial Balmorra occurs before Republic Balmorra.

The Force shall free me.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

That is within the class story because Taris republic is at lower level and Imperial Taris at a higher level. But the characters mentioned have just left if you follow the conversations . Like Doctor Godera and his lab. When Impeiral you arrive Godera just left. Not a big time difference, I have 12 no 13 characters I noticed these things unless I am that forgetful.

Chamber of Chains

I'm really getting used to this crafting system. Again, I had my PC on and logged in while I was at work today. Sure it cost credits to have my companions go farm mats, but it'a all right there.

I think the biggest problem I have is that I keep forgetting to send my companions out.

The ones I don't have with me should be running crew missions......

ALL

THE

TIME!

So, last night, I found out someone I knew had recently been playing Republic on a different server. So, I figured, I'd try out a Republic toon over there. I rolled a Consular.  The play is just like the Inquisitor and I like the overall play style of the Assassin, so, on this one, I'll go Shadow.

Anyway, One of the things I noticed were spams from this particular gold seller's website. Among credits (So far has not been difficult to acquire through just playing the game), they were offering "Power Leveling" 

Power leveling? In SWTOR? Really?

Here's an idea. On top of Power Leveling, why not offer Game Playing services? A player can pay one of these sites to actually play the game for them too. The service can email them weekly updates of what they have accomplished and what gear they now have too.

/end sarcasm

So, last night, I found out someone I knew had recently been playing Republic on a different server. So, I figured, I'd try out a Republic toon over there. I rolled a Consular.  The play is just like the Inquisitor and I like the overall play style of the Assassin, so, on this one, I'll go Shadow.

Anyway, One of the things I noticed were spams from this particular gold seller's website. Among credits (So far has not been difficult to acquire through just playing the game), they were offering "Power Leveling" 

Here's an idea. On top of Power Leveling, why not offer Game Playing services? A player can pay one of these sites to actually play the game for them too. The service can email them weekly updates of what they have accomplished and what gear they now have too.

/end sarcasm

Indeed. Anyone getting Power Leveled in SWTOR is missing out on one of the best parts of the game (Leveling). Just my opinion though.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367

/end sarcasm

Power levelling's in every game honestly. I even remember bots grinding and not fighting back in 2012. I have a few active friends who mainly PVP and they would buy level 55s just to do warzones with and pvp in the open world than play through the story again. For all the hassle people are giving WoW right now over the level 90 character boost, it's because hundreds of thousands of people have been asking for it for years and years. You and I may not want the service, but (sadly) a lot of people out there do.

Originally posted by Impacthound

/end sarcasm

Power levelling's in every game honestly. I even remember bots grinding and not fighting back in 2012. I have a few active friends who mainly PVP and they would buy level 55s just to do warzones with and pvp in the open world than play through the story again. For all the hassle people are giving WoW right now over the level 90 character boost, it's because hundreds of thousands of people have been asking for it for years and years. You and I may not want the service, but (sadly) a lot of people out there do.

My only thought is.....

What a diminished experience

So he's here too?

(Who's here)

(Exactly)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

So he's here too?

(Who's here)

(Exactly)

rofl

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    I can understand getting power leveled after having a few alts you still should go back and experience the class stories working on my 6th alt right now and enjoying it even though the planets can be a slog sometimes. Gotta gear up my 55 smuggler.
  • TetheredTethered Member UncommonPosts: 55

Sorry for the wall-o-text image

Congrats on picking up swtor, I did the same this last month and for some reason I got sucked in. We must have the same type gaming tastes, as I find myself on AO site checking on the new engine every month. Sad but I am still hoping for another game like that but with current engine technology.(with the ability to fire on the move lol)

this next part is a little inflaming....skip it if you want...

I actually ran through all the posts in the this thread and you swg worshipers please pray to whatever you hold holy and thank it/them/her/him etc that you got to play such an awesome game and give it the respect it deserves,  stop whining about how it was the end all be all (WE KNOW), and get on with your dang lives. OMG~!  I loved it, I miss it and I always will except when I play the emu. *whine whine its not the same....help them make it the same... either get on-board or get off the internet that crap is lame.

End of flaming... =P

I really enjoyed quite a few aspects of this game but never could stay for some reason. Anyway I decided to make some new toons I normally play caster / healer so I already had sage / sorcerer. I made commando, mercenary then made scoundrel / operative. I have almost all 6 to 30 now ( I will by this afternoon). I had to reach down and make sure I was still a guy when I found myself spending almost 2 hours putting together a damn costume for one of my girls (I play women avatars...I got tired of staring at men avatar butts so sue me).  I ended up turning my mercenary into a harem girl slut with 2 pistols...lol. Any way I digress.

Oh what I meant to post - TRY Operative, they are awesome! I like the story the best so far and just being able to have 2 CC with heals with 2 stuns with stealth and the cherry on top - I can stick a shiv in their back several times actually.  pvp and pve goodness and you can spec healer for free if you are a sub and get fp/groups super fast. 

I play concealment spec mostly but I have field respec, she rocks. I stealth in past most of the mobs and get to the objective (side quests with no bonus or only 1 bonus xp chain) makes lvling faster or at least seems to.

Happy swtor'ing

You know you are old when the dev's on the games you play are almost young enough to be your grand-kids.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Tethered

Congrats on picking up swtor, I did the same this last month and for some reason I got sucked in. We must have the same type gaming tastes, as I find myself on AO site checking on the new engine every month. Sad but I am still hoping for another game like that but with current engine technology.(with the ability to fire on the move lol)

I actually ran through all the posts in the this thread and you swg worshipers please pray to whatever you hold holy and thank it/them/her/him etc that you got to play such an awesome game and give it the respect it deserves,  stop whining about how it was the end all be all (WE KNOW), and get on with your dang lives. OMG~!  I loved it, I miss it and I always will except when I play the emu. *whine whine its not the same....help them make it the same... either get on-board or get off the internet that crap is lame.

End of flaming... =P

I really enjoyed quite a few aspects of this game but never could stay for some reason. Anyway I decided to make some new toons I normally play caster / healer so I already had sage / sorcerer. I made commando, mercenary then made scoundrel / operative. I have almost all 6 to 30 now ( I will by this afternoon). I had to reach down and make sure I was still a guy when I found myself spending almost 2 hours putting together a damn costume for one of my girls (I play women avatars...I got tired of staring at men avatar butts so sue me).  I ended up turning my mercenary into a harem girl slut with 2 pistols...lol. Any way I digress.

Oh what I meant to post - TRY Operative, they are awesome! I like the story the best so far and just being able to have 2 CC with heals with 2 stuns with stealth and the cherry on top - I can stick a shiv in their back several times actually.  pvp and pve goodness and you can spec healer for free if you are a sub and get fp/groups super fast. 

I play concealment spec mostly but I have field respec, she rocks. I stealth in past most of the mobs and get to the objective (side quests with no bonus or only 1 bonus xp chain) makes lvling faster or at least seems to.

Happy swtor'ing

I am thankful that I got to play SWG, and played it for the solid 8.5 years it was active, and would still be playing it now if it was still alive. The longest I have played any game. It was probably a good thing that it got closed down as was I missing out on other games, and I was still collecting games for my consoles which never gotten played much, until Dec 15th 2011!

The main annoying thing about SWG is not really it being shut down but that there is not a similar (even better) alternative MMO, whereas if any of the WOW like MMOs shut down then there are plenty other alternatives to go to. Also EA / LA / SOE / BW all believed that people would easily just able to switch from SWG to SWTOR, and even Smedley said that SWTOR is going to be a great game which he was looking forward t playing, but following the dramatic loss in subs, and people missing SWG, Smedley is now doing something similar. SWG shut down on the same day SWTOR launched, so it was like "out with the old, in with the new". when back in 2008 both SOE and LA stated that both games were different enough to run side by side, and SWTOR would have benefitted more if SWG did run for at least one more year, then SWTOR would not have been seen as a direct replacement, which it no where near is.

I still prefer the ease of video tapes to record TV than blank DVDs, but using a DVD recorder with HDD is overall better and is an adequate replacement to video tapes. SWTOR is not an adequate replacement for SWG. It is just a shame that MMOs seem to be devolving than evolving, with each new MMO comes less features / more dumbed down. Each new MMO should take what old MMOs had, and add more and be more polished with less bugs.

Even yourself said that you can not stay with this game, and a lot of people feel like that, and that is the main thing wrong with this game. 

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Tethered

End of flaming... =P

Happy swtor'ing

I am thankful that I got to play SWG, and played it for the solid 8.5 years it was active, and would still be playing it now if it was still alive. The longest I have played any game. It was probably a good thing that it got closed down as was I missing out on other games, and I was still collecting games for my consoles which never gotten played much, until Dec 15th 2011!

The main annoying thing about SWG being shut down is that there is not a similar alternative MMO, whereas if any of the WOW like MMOs shut down then there are plenty other alternatives to go to. Also EA / LA / SOE / BW all believed that people would easily just able to switch from SWG to SWTOR, and even Smedley said that SWTOR is going to be a great game which he was looking forward t playing, but following the dramatic loss in subs, and people missing SWG, Smedley is now doing something similar. SWG shut down on the same day SWTOR launched, so it was like "out with the old, in with the new". when back in 2008 both SOE and LA stated that both games were different enough to run side by side, and SWTOR would have benefitted more if SWG did run for at least one more year, then SWTOR would not have been seen as a direct replacement, which it no where near is.

I still prefer the ease of video tapes to record TV than blank DVDs, but using a DVD recorder with HDD is overall better and is an adequate replacement to video tapes. SWTOR is not an adequate replacement for SWG. It is just a shame that MMOs seem to be devolving than evolving, with each new MMO comes less features / more dumbed down. Each new MMO should take what old MMOs had, and add more and be more polished with less bugs.

Even yourself said that you can not stay with this game, and a lot of people feel like that, and that is the main thing wrong with this game. 

There's the problem.  You think SWTOR is supposed to be a replacement or a sequel of sorts to SWG.   This was never supposed to be the case.  It is just ANOTHER Star Wars MMO.  

The reason you can't find a replacement for SWG is because the game was so deeply flawed no one wants to make a replacement for it.  

Star Wars Rogue Squadron isn't a replacement for X-wing VS Tie Fighter its just another Star Wars game about ship combat.   That's it.  

SWTOR isn't a replacement for SWG its just a different take on a Star Wars MMO.  

The fault lies with you