Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sneak attack damage bonus test PvE & PvP

GendarkGendark Member UncommonPosts: 100

I did some test comparing the damage bonus from sneak attacks that some weapons and skills get in pve and pvp.

All the tests were made in cyrodiil with fixed stats like 1212 stamina and 155 weapon dmg, also all enemy players have the same armor 700.

As you can see partial bow attacks really do more damage than full charged attacks.

rapid conclusion: Bow ftw !!!

Sneak attack damage bonus test PvE & PvP video

If you have any question about the test just ask :D

Comments

• xerrixerri Member Posts: 30
    Yes so much so when the enemy pulled or closed on me I just gave them bow to the face  range is op spells /bow etc.

• vzerovvzerov Member Posts: 125
    actually the more serious problem is the normal attack damage imo, with 120 weapon damage in char sheet (standard as a bolstered char) , light attacks with dw or s&b deal around 100 damage per hit, while bows do 200. the sneak attack is unbalanced, but the basic attack damage difference is game breaking, normal attacks with bows are a little bit slower, but the damage is still much higher than melee basic attacks while you can attack from afar.
  • GendarkGendark Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Originally posted by vzerov
    actually the more serious problem is the normal attack damage imo, with 120 weapon damage in char sheet (standard as a bolstered char) , light attacks with dw or s&b deal around 100 damage per hit, while bows do 200. the sneak attack is unbalanced, but the basic attack damage difference is game breaking, normal attacks with bows are a little bit slower, but the damage is still much higher than melee basic attacks while you can attack from afar.

Well yeah i also found that the damage bow light atack did was too much compared with the other weapons, if i remember right 1h weapons did 90 damage, 2h did 118 dmg and bow 165 dmg. But for light and heavy atacks i think the game takes in to account the attack speed or cadence of each weapon, bow was really the slowest of them. 

Anyway i found for pvp that bow damage was too good if we take in to account that with bow you are at ranged and somewhat more safe.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

It would be interesting to see if this will be the same when you use a STAFF. Because I had the feeling I did do better with a healing or destruction Staff aswell.

In the last beta i played the first time a pure melee class with dual wield, a Nightblade. I wasnt that much impressed with the damage output and did more easy with the classes I played before i.e. Dragonknight, Templar.

Overall the Nightblade in Medium Armor was the weakest class so far in PvE. I played before a Templar in heavy armor and bow aswell a Nightblade with Light Armor and Healing Staff which. With both classes I could do a lot more in comparison to the NB with dual wield weapons, very squishy and not that much impressed in my lvl range with the damage ouput just with dual wield weapon skills.

I have the feeling dual wield weapons and their weapon skills are getting probably better in the higher lvl range.

I did use for damage weapon skills and for utility and damage class skills.

The damage with a normal sneak attack wasnt that impressive, in pvp an pve I did often only 1/10 damage when the mob was a level higher than me and enemy players some level higher than me.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Bow is totally overpowered from stealth, expect it to be nurfed anytime soon...

i have learned that the OP skills at release in general dont stay overpowered very long

what makes blood crave (PvP)drop so much in damage compared to the other attacks ?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    I know this is the "Youtube Generation" but can you simply post the results in text format so we don't have to waste time on a vid?

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by Tamanous
    I know this is the "Youtube Generation" but can you simply post the results in text format so we don't have to waste time on a vid?

Do i hear a "thank you for the great information" ?

does the format it was wrapped in really matter if it contains something i teresting and does not waste hours of your time?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Witness01Witness01 Member UncommonPosts: 4

I noticed that using a heavy fire or ice staff attack from stealth resulted in no extra damage - can anyone else confirm this?

I wasn't sure if it was deliberate or a bug.

I also noticed that damage from NB invisibility was less than just normal stealth.

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Gendark

I did some test comparing the damage bonus from sneak attacks that some weapons and skills get in pve and pvp.

All the tests were made in cyrodiil with fixed stats like 1212 stamina and 155 weapon dmg, also all enemy players have the same armor 700.

As you can see partial bow attacks really do more damage than full charged attacks.

rapid conclusion: Bow ftw !!!

Sneak attack damage bonus test PvE & PvP video

If you have any question about the test just ask :D

Great testing man its always nice to see some cold hard numbers in regards to anything RPG numebrs dont lie.  I would of liked you to test the staffs as well as they offer additional ranged attacks which combined with the skills from those weps could make an even better option than bow but still some great stuff here man thx..

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Witness01

I noticed that using a heavy fire or ice staff attack from stealth resulted in no extra damage - can anyone else confirm this?

I also noticed that damage from NB invisibility was less than just normal stealth.

Staff attacks don't get bonus damage from stealth.

• GendarkGendark Member UncommonPosts: 100
    I tried with resto staff and didn't get any damage bonus, I think only physical abilities gain bonus from sneak attacks and even some of them don't, like critical charge or other charge attacks.
    Originally posted by Giffen
    Originally posted by Witness01

Staff attacks don't get bonus damage from stealth.

Only stamina attacks do so far

staff attacks are considered magica..

but there is still a huge difference on how much all these stamina attacks are improved by using them from stealth...

i would have love if the tester also added the numbers agains t PvE aswell as PvP from a non stealthed position

still wondering why blood crave is so much less effective in PvP compared to PvE?

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Magicka based weapon attacks do not get the stealth bonus but I was sure that class based magicka (or some of them) do. I was testing for quite some time skill and bar builds at level 15. I was chain killing level 19 and 20 mobs and even though it was a caster build using RStaff+RStaff I did some openers out of stealth to see what abilities gained additional damage.

Sadly I had no mods to see damage so I couldn't tell if dots were boosted (will test during pre-release) but I opened using Teleport Strike from Assassination and it hit WAY harder the majority of time from stealth over non-stealth. I'm not sure if this was a base damage bonus or a crit bonus until I use a mod but attacking a level 19 normal mob took it's health down to 1/3 (2/3 total damage). This is without Master Assassin passive trained and likely only the stun is useful from that passive with this build.

I could never duplicate this using Teleport Strike without stealth. Invisibility also did not boost damage (non-morphed). Teleport Strike is a magicka based power obviously.

My true intent though is to test to see if class dot skills are boosted from stealth. I'd love to see this working as it fits my build better as a Nightblade mage lacks a single target massive damage attack and relies more on dots (which do great damage at least at those levels. They tend to be far superior magicka to damage ratio than normal attacks). I didn't get to morph Teleport Strike into Lotus Fan but if the opener benefits from stealth I would love to know if the dot does as well (I somehow doubt it but perhaps straight up dots like Cripple do).

You stay sassy!

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

Thank you very much for that video.  I have been trying to figure out which second weapon to use for my stealthy NB.  It looks like the bow is a good choice, even with a game time nerf.   It looks very versatile.  

PS. Just ignore the ignorant people who do not appreciate the time you put into that great video. 

• hulgarhulgar Member Posts: 93
    Here we go..
    -(insert anything) is op in pvp
    -tweak
    -now (insert any other thing) is op in pvp
    -tweak
    -Noo..you messed all up..i quit

This is what you have when pvp and pve get together.