Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Heroes of the Storm: Heroes of the Storm Refines the MOBA

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm recently entered a small "technical alpha", and I managed to somehow luck out and snag a key. I've been playing the game pretty much any chance I get since Friday, quite possible because it seems Blizzard's done it once again. They've taken what makes the MOBA genre work, extracted the good and left out what some might consider the bad. Read on to find out why it's eating up all my free time.

Bill Murphy's Heroes of the Storm Refines the MOBA

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• I love it. I'm watching streams like 2 days now and god finally a moba with some new features. I want to play this game so bad...
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Hook me up with a key please, Bill! I will praise thee for many lifetimes!
  • wee21pwee21p Member UncommonPosts: 3
    look fun as hell 
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    It's a MOBA so I hate it... but it's BLIZZARD so I love it... but it's a MOBA.... but it's......
  • ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Its a very smart decision by blizzard rather than competing with LoL and Dota2, which they probably couldnt do anyways, they are going into the casual MOBA market like smite.  The decisions they have made around team leveling and gold mean that they will likely never have a pro circut, then again most blizzard game esports suck anyways, but they will get alot of people just looking to have a bit of fun.
  • KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

when will have an open beta?

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by ZeGerman
    Its a very smart decision by blizzard rather than competing with LoL and Dota2, which they probably couldnt do anyways, they are going into the casual MOBA market like smite.  The decisions they have made around team leveling and gold mean that they will likely never have a pro circut, then again most blizzard game esports suck anyways, but they will get alot of people just looking to have a bit of fun.

Yeah Blizzard esports suck....SC2 is only ranked number one on most esport sites and with combined game viewship Blizzard is only #1 by a hugh number.  But hey they suck right.....image

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Kidon

when will have an open beta?

No one knows yet, Kidon, but I'd bet by the end of the year. It's very polished as it is right now.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    One game I m really looking forward to. With WoD, D3 ROS, and this, Blizz is getting a lot of my attention this year.
  • ThanosxpThanosxp Member UncommonPosts: 177
    I like the game too. Slower than the other 3 big MOBAs, but  it's a great game. I just find weird that you talk bad about itemization, and talk well about talents: It's almost the same thing, in a different pack. You had builds (with items) in dota, lol and hon, now you have builds (from talents) here. Kinda weird to hype something here, and talk ill about something so close in other games. A bias, maybe?
  • DilweedDilweed Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by Thanosxp
    I like the game too. Slower than the other 3 big MOBAs, but  it's a great game. I just find weird that you talk bad about itemization, and talk well about talents: It's almost the same thing, in a different pack. You had builds (with items) in dota, lol and hon, now you have builds (from talents) here. Kinda weird to hype something here, and talk ill about something so close in other games. A bias, maybe?

The difference is that you now only need to know the talents of your hero instead of all items in the game.

Originally posted by Dilweed
    Originally posted by Thanosxp

The difference is that you now only need to know the talents of your hero instead of all items in the game.

You also don't have to waste time going back to Base to purchase. Another small plus to having character specific builds, as opposed to crazy itemization.

My Review Manifesto

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Well HotS wont compete with LoL nor Dota 2 I am quite sure, I watched stream and I was really dissapointed. To be honest, even Smite and HoN seems to be more fun than HotS
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I see Blizzard is really jumping on the cash shop bandwagon.7.99...7.99...7.99 that can really add up FAST.What is there well over 20..geesh that is like asking for 200 bucks to attain all the present content,let alone anymore or other items that come along.

I believe this is the TRUE meaning behind streamlining the leveling effect,they WANT you to level up fast and buy more heroes.Basically the same gimmick as selling a new xpac in WOW and offering a 90 player because they know they wouldn't sell it otherwise.

Even more incredible is they rehash all the same models from their other games,so cheap effort 101.Should just call the game HEROES of BLIZZARD !.

As to the question of weather the streamline idea is good,i say yes of course but still the game overall is just a cheap browser looking game,low end models low end game world.I am not about to pop out 200 bucks to attain all content in a 1990's game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I see Blizzard is really jumping on the cash shop bandwagon.7.99...7.99...7.99 that can really add up FAST.What is there well over 20..geesh that is like asking for 200 bucks to attain all the present content,let alone anymore or other items that come along.

I believe this is the TRUE meaning behind streamlining the leveling effect,they WANT you to level up fast and buy more heroes.Basically the same gimmick as selling a new xpac in WOW and offering a 90 player because they know they wouldn't sell it otherwise.

Even more incredible is they rehash all the same models from their other games,so cheap effort 101.Should just call the game HEROES of BLIZZARD !.

As to the question of weather the streamline idea is good,i say yes of course but still the game overall is just a cheap browser looking game,low end models low end game world.I am not about to pop out 200 bucks to attain all content in a 1990's game.

• All MOBA's are about encouraging players to spend money, their F2P model makes that essential to keeping the game running 
    • Heroes can be bought with ingame gold earned form playing the game, no need to spend money if you have the time
    • Skins and mounts can only be bought with real money but they're only cosmetic so meh.
    • They're all new models created specifically for the game and look fine to me
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

I think blizzard managed to create a MOBA that is very light on toxicity.

Can't wait for them to get it released, seems like a MOBA that would be a _pleasure_ to play :j

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Luck had nothing to do with it, Blizzard is the most biased company on the planet when it comes to deciding who get's first wave invites.

Always streamers and press, ALWAYS. As evidenced further by the fact that every single streamer who is big in Hearthstone was invited to HoTS.

Originally posted by Kost

Luck had nothing to do with it, Blizzard is the most biased company on the planet when it comes to deciding who get's first wave invites.

Always streamers and press, ALWAYS. As evidenced further by the fact that every single streamer who is big in Hearthstone was invited to HoTS.

Hey Kost, I think it's actually luck for me. I got an email from PR saying that I wouldn't be included on the first wave because we don't cover MOBAs as much as MMOs and RPGs. I was cool with that. But then received an invite 2 hours later anyway. No one else on our team did get in, except some streamers (who are volunteers and not official staff).

My Review Manifesto

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    I for one hope they don't use a F2P model as it leads to bad communities and players who constantly disconnect. Vote for box price discounted for owning another battle.net game plus cash shop. World of Tanks and LOL's F2P models attract a bad element and I don't play those games anymore because of the players they draw, which includes tons of botters and AFKers.
  • unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Double post. Sorry.
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    I'm still waiting to hear how Blizzard's balancing skills combined with the lack of gold/items and shared xp don't mean that more games are won or lost in champ select than in any other MOBA.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Looks like Blizzard took a genre, which is already pretty simple, and dumbed it down even further to make it more "fun".

Im glad I haven't bought a Blizzard game since WoW was released, almost a decade ago.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Soki123
    One game I m really looking forward to. With WoD, D3 ROS, and this, Blizz is getting a lot of my attention this year.

I agree. I am still not sure about WoD, but D3 RoS, Heartstone and HotS are getting a lot of my attention.

I am eager to play Heroes of the Storm.

Blizzard did it again.

• InnkwellInnkwell Member Posts: 59

This games features are definitely appealing and cosmetically its top notch. My real hope though is that League of Legends will see this as a real threat and FINALLY upgrade some of their awful character models and the summoners rift map. :P

On a side note, Abathur looks awesome and  like an incredibly creative mechanic to play.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

It's a really half assed LoL clone, much like that stupid DC one NOBODY talks about.

I think everybody realizes that if you're going to play a Dota like game, it's either going to be Dota 2 or LoL while the cash ins/clones pretend they matter...