Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zenimax got it wrong.

24

Comments

  • elvigyelvigy Charlotte, NCPosts: 249Member Common
    Originally posted by rodarin

    But yes there are some bugs. the HUD/UI bug is worse than ever now. The freezing for 2-5 seconds every minute (for a lot of people not all) is a major concern too. Dismounting on your horse, the ESC button not working etc.

    I had the freezing problem as well and found that closing the launcher after you are in game fixes that. Just thought I'd pass it on.

    As to OP, I agree. I will play at launch and have already pre-ordered the Imp edition so obviously I'm willing to be patient while they fix things. But it doesn't exactly put out the best impression.

    Also, fyi, this WAS the latest build according to their own email invites.

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 19,967Member Epic
    Originally posted by alicorn

    If the PTS is ahead of the game, that's great, BUT, Zenimax made a big mistake in my opinion.  You simply cannot invite 5 million people, 2 weeks before launch (March 30 for preorders with 5 day head start) and have that many quests broken, horse dismounts, invisible walls, getting locked in crafting or NPC dialogue, etc..  This beta was infinitely more buggy than the last two. 

    Did you ever think (and i suspect the answer is "no") that because they just added collision detection they needed to test the game with "5 million people" (or however many) so they could see what exactly would break, under that stress, with this new addition?

  • Allacore69Allacore69 Casselberry, FLPosts: 839Member


    Originally posted by alicorn
    September 1997 was the last day of the original beta test. The beta ended with a bang, as players were treated to an "end of the world" scenario with Shadowlords, demons, and other evil creatures slaughtering every character in sight. Ultima Online opened its doors to the public.[36] In 1998, the game expanded, and the number of users reached over 100,000 worldwide. In 1999, the game expanded to Japan in January, to Europe in May, and to South Korea in July. Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Online So only 2 expansions were tested publicaly for beta. One closed(1997) and one open(2009) The official game never had "outside" beta testing or "public" testing. I'm not calling you out. Just clairify first so people don't look it up, like I did, and lose credibility. Now I do agree with your post op. I have yet to see any "patch notes" for a build we have not tested yet. I was getting pissed yesterday because the quests were bugged to death and for some reason my character would swing to death and the enemy would still be standing there looking at me like, "duh". lol
    You aren't calling me out, I was in the beta test.  I actually have a still active account that was created the day UO launched and I had been part of the last beta in 1997 (I'm an old fart - good thing this isn't Logan's Run!) so it's fine if people look it up.  Having been beta testing that long doesn't make me special, I only use it as a reference that I have experienced betas going back a very long way when they were quite different than now.

    Yeah this weekend was tough because I actuallye xpected to see some of the naggy bugs like <esc> and getting locked in crafting fixed and then to be falling through the world and have previously fine quests bugged was annoying.  I have a plan for launch though in case these issues still persist so as long as I can connect and stay online I am set to be happy :-)



    DANG dude. Thats a long time yo'. I think I started my first beta 5 years ago lol.

    Although in 1997 I was 12 lol.

    image

  • alicornalicorn Ocala, FLPosts: 171Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gilllean
    [mod edit]

     

    If it launches the same way then it is Zenimax's fault.  Just because people are dumb enough to take crack doesn't absolve the seller of responsibility for the sale.  I realize that's extreme, but maybe society is to blame because people have given up hoping that game designers will hold themselves to a higher standard.

    There's plenty of room for blame for everyone.  If I ever win the mega -millions jackpot I promise to put together a team to make a game done right and not release it until it's ready.  Maybe someone will beat me to the punch on putting out something with integrity because my odds of winning are kinda low.

    Still wish it was March 30... unless I'm scheduled to die between now and then in which case I'd really be sorry if it were March 30!

  • alicornalicorn Ocala, FLPosts: 171Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Allacore69

     


    Originally posted by alicorn

    September 1997 was the last day of the original beta test. The beta ended with a bang, as players were treated to an "end of the world" scenario with Shadowlords, demons, and other evil creatures slaughtering every character in sight. Ultima Online opened its doors to the public.[36] In 1998, the game expanded, and the number of users reached over 100,000 worldwide. In 1999, the game expanded to Japan in January, to Europe in May, and to South Korea in July. Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Online So only 2 expansions were tested publicaly for beta. One closed(1997) and one open(2009) The official game never had "outside" beta testing or "public" testing. I'm not calling you out. Just clairify first so people don't look it up, like I did, and lose credibility. Now I do agree with your post op. I have yet to see any "patch notes" for a build we have not tested yet. I was getting pissed yesterday because the quests were bugged to death and for some reason my character would swing to death and the enemy would still be standing there looking at me like, "duh". lol
    You aren't calling me out, I was in the beta test.  I actually have a still active account that was created the day UO launched and I had been part of the last beta in 1997 (I'm an old fart - good thing this isn't Logan's Run!) so it's fine if people look it up.  Having been beta testing that long doesn't make me special, I only use it as a reference that I have experienced betas going back a very long way when they were quite different than now.

     

    Yeah this weekend was tough because I actuallye xpected to see some of the naggy bugs like and getting locked in crafting fixed and then to be falling through the world and have previously fine quests bugged was annoying.  I have a plan for launch though in case these issues still persist so as long as I can connect and stay online I am set to be happy :-)


     


    DANG dude. Thats a long time yo'. I think I started my first beta 5 years ago lol.

    Although in 1997 I was 12 lol.

    In 1997 I was 31... told you I was old!  My first computer was in 1983, a TRS-80 Model 4 with 16k (yes 16k) memory and a cassette drive.  Oh, and it cost like $1500.  The dual 512k floppies I added later cost another $800.

  • VorthanionVorthanion Laguna Vista, TXPosts: 2,396Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Pyatra
    Several threads on this site actually linked patch notes that were newer than this last beta, and that was 2 weeks ago.  You seemed unsure about that point so just wanted to let you know they were already making huge fixes with quests to that build even before beta this weekend.

    Haven't companies learned from the past yet?  First impressions can make or break a game, beta or not.

    image
  • alicornalicorn Ocala, FLPosts: 171Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Pyatra
    Several threads on this site actually linked patch notes that were newer than this last beta, and that was 2 weeks ago.  You seemed unsure about that point so just wanted to let you know they were already making huge fixes with quests to that build even before beta this weekend.

    Haven't companies learned from the past yet?  First impressions can make or break a game, beta or not.

    Thank you, that was my point.  I'm not flaming Zenimax or claiming I won't play.. I'm playing - buggy or not.  I just want the game to thrive and offering that kind of demo to that many people isn't a good idea.  I have a hard time believing collision detection broke quests, but I'm not a programmer, so maybe.

  • Allacore69Allacore69 Casselberry, FLPosts: 839Member


    Originally posted by alicorn
    Originally posted by Vorthanion Originally posted by Pyatra Several threads on this site actually linked patch notes that were newer than this last beta, and that was 2 weeks ago.  You seemed unsure about that point so just wanted to let you know they were already making huge fixes with quests to that build even before beta this weekend.
    Haven't companies learned from the past yet?  First impressions can make or break a game, beta or not.
    Thank you, that was my point.  I'm not flaming Zenimax or claiming I won't play.. I'm playing - buggy or not.  I just want the game to thrive and offering that kind of demo to that many people isn't a good idea.  I have a hard time believing collision detection broke quests, but I'm not a programmer, so maybe.


    THIS^^^^^^

    +1

    image

  • askdabossaskdaboss LondonPosts: 631Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by alicorn
    Originally posted by Ghabbo

    Beta testing is the new trial. I love the game and will be playing it as soon as the servers are up, but your post is right on.

    Yeah, sadly, people act like beta is an entitlement and should allow them to play through every quest and every level prior to launch.

    ...

    Of course I just saw a commercial on TV from Best Buy where the employees take home hardware to learn how to use it before they sell it and they claim they are "beta testing" the stuff.  I don't think many people actually understand what that means or what the point is anymore.

    For this situation, the game/IT companies themselves are also partly to blame.

    Has anyone played Blizzard's Heartstone? The game is more polished than Professor X's skull! And they already have a cash shop in game. Beta? My ass.

    Google are pulling a similar trick (gmail did it in the past, google drive), where people are basically using the "full product" but if you see a bug "eh, friend! It's only beta! (and it's been for the last year or so for you and the 500 millions people using the service already)"

     

    This is perhaps the next move of AAA MMOs, releasing stuff as BETA to justify the bugs initially (of course this goes hand in hand with F2P).

    Or the other option is "Kickstarter" style stuff, where people "support" the product regardless of bugs (but doesn't really fit the AAA model).

    Nonetheless, P2P MMOs are massive software, so complex that they need a way to redirect the pressure and rage from the public in the rough initial weeks (Diablo, from the very same Blizzard as Heartstone failed to do this as well).

  • GillleanGilllean NewYork, ALPosts: 169Member

    Well if on march 30 they will release unplayable client  than yes is their fault. But take in consideration they have their own testing team. Also PTS is much more fine than beta client Idk why they don't give that build to test.

    Plus consider that TES TESO have some of most intersting quest with a huge variety. in nutshell is same old thing but is done with elegance and hard script no wonder there are so many bugs.

    Let's just hope for the best guys. After so much work put into this game I don't believe they will release it broken .

     

    Allacore69 Sorry sir but as a foreigner for me is quite difficult to know english so well as a native plus foreigners put much more time into studying it than natives  you just gain is slowly over a long period of time of repetition... Also it's 2014 Every one world wide has a computer  and out there are 5000 + languages I know 4  of them I'm just a human .... and English lag. is not main language in world just saying.

  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,336Member Uncommon

    Why cant you all just accept the fact that the next two months is a payed beta...  That will allow them to get all the bugs cleaned out...

     

    the  most important day for this game is somewhere in june, as it will release in perfect state on the consoles...  Where they may sell like 3 to 4 million copies on PC, they might sell 10 to 15 million copies on consoles...  I think most of the console generation are very much ready for their first MMO.

     

     

    The game is moving for greatness on the consoles, and Zenimax and Bethesda know this..

     

    Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

  • ShrillyShrilly Citra, FLPosts: 421Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by alicorn

    *I expect flames, but please read so you actually know what you're flaming*

    As a point of reference, I have been beta testing the game since last September, I am an outspoken advocate of the game, I bought the game, I plan to subscribe long term regardless of how smooth launch is or is not.  As much of a fan as I am, I'm also not blind and have to be honest.  That said, there's nothing game-breaking in my post below and really nothing intended to, or that should, scare anyone away.  I actually spent the last 3 betas doing nothing but standing around in starter areas helping new players find their footing.  That doesn't make me great or special but I anticipate that if I'm going to be critical people are going to wonder what my perspective is and if I am just calling it as I see it or looking to troll.

    Zenimax always said they were not going to have an open beta, and while they didn't in the traditional sense, they kinda just did.  There are stories that the PTS has a much more updated version of the game that doesn't have all the bugs this weekend's beta does, and maybe that's true, maybe it isn't.  I'm not in a position to know the truth or say it's false so I'll leave it at "maybe".

    If the PTS is ahead of the game, that's great, BUT, Zenimax made a big mistake in my opinion.  You simply cannot invite 5 million people, 2 weeks before launch (March 30 for preorders with 5 day head start) and have that many quests broken, horse dismounts, invisible walls, getting locked in crafting or NPC dialogue, etc..  This beta was infinitely more buggy than the last two.  I totally get that it's still beta and 2 weeks can lead to many fixes and a PTS server may already b cleaner, BUT, and here's where the big mistake comes in...

    The truth is that MOST beta testers are NOT beta testers.  They are people out looking for a free sample.  They play the game as if it's the final model, base their purchase on how clean it is, and tell their friends to come or stay away based upon it.  Whether Zenimax intended to be giving out 5 million very bugged free samples, it's what they did and was a bad idea.  There are many of us who already bought or saw enough to go ahead an buy anyway, but there are a lot off people who will now stay away for a month, a few months, or completely.  It was really bad marketing of an excellent product in its less than clean state.

    ESO is a great game and I plan to enjoy it for a long time, but unless you're bringing in 5 million real beta testers whose only intent is to find and report bugs, you're shooting yourself in the foot to expose that many people to a build far inferior to older beta versions.

    Just my 2 cents, your experience may differ.

    If i can't try the game and mechanics i WILL NOT BUY IT. Hpw the hell am i supposed to know what i am buying if i look at trailers?

    I expereinced the same crap they been churning outta the mmo mill for years.

    I'll pass.

  • alicornalicorn Ocala, FLPosts: 171Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Shrilly

     

    If i can't try the game and mechanics i WILL NOT BUY IT. Hpw the hell am i supposed to know what i am buying if i look at trailers?

    I expereinced the same crap they been churning outta the mmo mill for years.

    I'll pass.

    I feel your pain, your "passing" is what frustrated me about this massive beta weekend.  It's not like everyone was going to play it anyway, but why scare off your potential market 2 weeks before launch.  Hopefully it will be released more polished than this weekend seemed and people like you will reconsider.

  • DignaDigna City, CTPosts: 1,994Member Uncommon

    Personally I think the mistake(s) were revamping the starter areas and the more potentially  game screwing collision detection.

    While I think the 'skip CH' was 'ok', it seems opposite what should be to go to the 1st city and then 'go backwards' for those wanted starter areas. Would have been better done (imo) if you appear on the starter isle as though you had done CH (starter area CH) and you were given an option to pop forward.

    All that aside, the collision detection, which I did enjoy for the most part, had the possibility of adding so much overhead to the gameplay, particularly in massed player areas it had to be mass tested.

    I'm enjoying the game (testing that is) and looking forward to the 30th with more anticipation than any other  game in a number of years. I think though that without condemning the game, ZOS would have been  better served by sorting out the quest bugs and things like the ESC key issue (a variant of the NPC dialog issue from the previous beta) and adding the CD later. At least with regards to pre-release marketing.

    They didn't ask for my opinion and we got what we got.

    I heard throughout the weekend that there was at least 1 if not multiple versions  ahead of this weekends, out on the PTS. I tried to get anyone making the statements to cough up that they were on the PTS (though I would have taken the info with a grain of salt) to try to nail the idea down. No one did that I saw. Doesn't mean there isn't another build, doesn't mean there is.

    One thing that seems quite likely to me. IF there is a later build out there or if they have a magical mystery wave of fixes coming in the 1st few weeks/month (and if we figure a month that 6 weeks - a timeframe a lot of people seem to be angling towards being a reasonable period for substantial fixes), a lot of folks who are on the fence and probably a good few that 'cancelled' will probably come back. People need to feel comfortable with their money. If good info starts flowing out after release, a lot will return/join.

    Here's to hoping.

  • venatsvenats Norristown, PAPosts: 106Member
    Originally posted by Digna

    One thing that seems quite likely to me. IF there is a later build out there or if they have a magical mystery wave of fixes coming in the 1st few weeks/month (and if we figure a month that 6 weeks - a timeframe a lot of people seem to be angling towards being a reasonable period for substantial fixes), a lot of folks who are on the fence and probably a good few that 'cancelled' will probably come back. People need to feel comfortable with their money. If good info starts flowing out after release, a lot will return/join.

    Here's to hoping.

    They won't have time. They are going to be busy trying to get their end-game (since that's not even included at launch) ready for release on their first promised patch cycle and if that's a mess then this game is going to be in for a fantastic collapse. We went through this with SWTOR, a game with no end-game aside from grinding (which they have been making longer and longer, probably to buy themselves time) is not going to survive on a subscription.

    ESO does not have the luxury of time with a submodel. Either they find a magic fix for all their bugs (unlikely) or you're going to see, at best, sporadic fixes while developers are more focused on delivering content they've been hyping for months... and not releasing at launch.

    Starter areas being this buggy does not bode well for the less trodden ground of higher levels, so I wonder just what colorful gamebreakers we find there. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bug that just deleted the game from your hard-drive, we've seemingly hit every other bug.

  • alicornalicorn Ocala, FLPosts: 171Member Uncommon

    My car battery was dead this morning, had to jump start it.

    My toaster produces varying shades of brown even though the bread is the same and the setting has not been changed.  Sometimes it's perfect, sometimes not.

    My cat threw up on my blanket.

    God really needs to fix these bugs or I'm quitting life!

    But seriously, I'm looking forward to the game and so long as the bugs aren't any that inhibit progression or accessibility I won't be too upset.  I have yet to see a perfect launch in any game and some of the worst offenders (looking at you WOW!) thrived in spite of it.

  • calibekcalibek Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 155Member
    Originally posted by alicorn

    My car battery was dead this morning, had to jump start it.

    My toaster produces varying shades of brown even though the bread is the same and the setting has not been changed.  Sometimes it's perfect, sometimes not.

    My cat threw up on my blanket.

    God really needs to fix these bugs or I'm quitting life!

    But seriously, I'm looking forward to the game and so long as the bugs aren't any that inhibit progression or accessibility I won't be too upset.  I have yet to see a perfect launch in any game and some of the worst offenders (looking at you WOW!) thrived in spite of it.

    I have noticed and agree with you that if THIS beta was the judging final beta for everyone I would most likely pass. It was still very buggy and problematic.

     

    Saying that however I will still keep my prepurchase simply because I played the AvA in Cyrodiil and if that is what people experienced at the beginning of DAoC then I can see why people revere that game.

    image
  • alicornalicorn Ocala, FLPosts: 171Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by calibek
    Originally posted by alicorn

    My car battery was dead this morning, had to jump start it.

    My toaster produces varying shades of brown even though the bread is the same and the setting has not been changed.  Sometimes it's perfect, sometimes not.

    My cat threw up on my blanket.

    God really needs to fix these bugs or I'm quitting life!

    But seriously, I'm looking forward to the game and so long as the bugs aren't any that inhibit progression or accessibility I won't be too upset.  I have yet to see a perfect launch in any game and some of the worst offenders (looking at you WOW!) thrived in spite of it.

    I have noticed and agree with you that if THIS beta was the judging final beta for everyone I would most likely pass. It was still very buggy and problematic.

     

    Saying that however I will still keep my prepurchase simply because I played the AvA in Cyrodiil and if that is what people experienced at the beginning of DAoC then I can see why people revere that game.

    Realm vs Realm in DAoC was glorious, it really was the heart of the game.  There was enough PvE content for those so inclined and an active PvP experience that had more meaning than just *pew pew you're dead*.  Having overarching goals like keep takes and such gave the mayhem at least some semblance of a goal.  Plus in DAoC whichever realm was currently "winning" got bonuses to PvE for xp, gold, and there was a public dungeon you could only enter if you're side had control.  Of course if you were already inside when control changed you knew the massive rush was going to crush you, or, provide you with opportunities to hide and pick off solo players later!

  • rodarinrodarin camarillo, CAPosts: 1,203Member Uncommon

    Another thing peopel are getting wrong. The WHOLE time the server was open for these tests WAS NOT a 'stress test' They had special designated times when people were all supposed to log in together to 'stress' the servers. Unfortunately the srver couldnt handle the regular load on most of the tests so it crashed well before those designated times. The one the guy posted a screen shot for was  6 PM on a Friday, another I remember was noon or 2 PM on a saturday (that day they took the server down for 4 or 5 hours so it obviously never happened.

     

    So even the excuses people want to use arent even accurate.

     

    This ast weekend was a free preview. It failed. Anyone that tried to say other wise is kidding themselves. No way fence sitters and people waiting untilt he last possible moment would look at what was presented this past weekend and be willing to shell out 80 bucks and the need to pay another 15 bucks a month for it. No way no how. Whether what people saw is indicative of what peopel will see on March 28 or April 4 is anyones guess but I suspect most people will think it is a more accurate depiction than what the blind faith defenders have t say.

     

    Like I said I dont even think the quests are broken, maybe a couple are but the major issues everyone had are in fact related to phasing/layering. Which isnt an easy or quick fix. It might be an impossible fix actually. So they may never fix it and hope over flow servers and spread out player base makes these issues not happen like they have since anyone who has played has experienced.

     

    I hope they do fix it, I hope they do do al the things the fanbois and defenders are saying. I hope they add husing and add an auction house, expand the crafting system and add a ton of content. that way when it goes buy to play or free to play it will be worth it for me to play it then.

  • alicornalicorn Ocala, FLPosts: 171Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by rodarin

    Another thing peopel are getting wrong. The WHOLE time the server was open for these tests WAS NOT a 'stress test' They had special designated times when people were all supposed to log in together to 'stress' the servers. Unfortunately the srver couldnt handle the regular load on most of the tests so it crashed well before those designated times. The one the guy posted a screen shot for was  6 PM on a Friday, another I remember was noon or 2 PM on a saturday (that day they took the server down for 4 or 5 hours so it obviously never happened.

     

    So even the excuses people want to use arent even accurate.

     

    This ast weekend was a free preview. It failed. Anyone that tried to say other wise is kidding themselves. No way fence sitters and people waiting untilt he last possible moment would look at what was presented this past weekend and be willing to shell out 80 bucks and the need to pay another 15 bucks a month for it. No way no how. Whether what people saw is indicative of what peopel will see on March 28 or April 4 is anyones guess but I suspect most people will think it is a more accurate depiction than what the blind faith defenders have t say.

     

    Like I said I dont even think the quests are broken, maybe a couple are but the major issues everyone had are in fact related to phasing/layering. Which isnt an easy or quick fix. It might be an impossible fix actually. So they may never fix it and hope over flow servers and spread out player base makes these issues not happen like they have since anyone who has played has experienced.

     

    I hope they do fix it, I hope they do do al the things the fanbois and defenders are saying. I hope they add husing and add an auction house, expand the crafting system and add a ton of content. that way when it goes buy to play or free to play it will be worth it for me to play it then.

    What?

    When was the server down for 4 or 5 hours?  Must have been when I finally slept because I didn't notice it.

    Expand the crafting system to what?  Seem pretty well fleshed out to me, what do you wan to craft that you can't?

    You think the game is short on content?

    There are some things that need fixing but do I dare use the "T" word here?

  • ReklawReklaw Am.Posts: 6,495Member Uncommon


    The only "issue's" I encounted where the framelock with NPC trading/conversation where I had to /reloadui and a few freezes.

    Another issue was the error report from elder scrolls survey tool inscreen/window ingame. Solved by just activating the ES survey tool.

    I am not saying there aren't any broken bugs, I just have not run into them with my 3 character (level 11, 7 and 3) and while I made them all different classes with different starting places I haven't run into quest being broke. But perhaps I am to low level to experiance that.

    I also noticed ingame plenty of complaints about quest being broken, yet I completed those quest right before. But have noticed with some quests you need to be patient and see/watch/listen what happens after you perhaps have spoken with that NPC in that quest area. Yet many ignored that just ran away after having the conversation and not a minute later you hear them complain about a quest not working.

    Again not saying there aren't broken quest just that I did not experiance them to make that clear. And while I did have this experiance this doesn't mean every person will have this experiance.

    I have also seen that great list of bug fixes and perhaps am just Lucky to not have experianced those issue's.

    And if I beta test then I beta test, unfortunaly or luckely Zenimax didn't give me much opportunity to make reports.

    As for the overall game ESO I actually feel Zenimax got it right and made a perfect mix of MMORPG with the Elder Scrolls IP.

     

  • Eol-Eol- houston, TXPosts: 274Member

    I agree with the OP to some extent, BUT, if the developers think that people who get to try the game out in beta are more likely to buy, then from a business perspective the bugs etc don't really matter much, because the extra purchases could be worth millions of dollars. Every time you logged in you got a reminder to prepurchase, and if you weren't in beta you wouldn't have gotten that. I think a lot of people will decide, hey, I had fun, I'll fork out $60 or $80.

    That being said, I did think there were too many bugs, and IMO the other betas had bugs also. ESO seems a couple months away from release, not two weeks. That being said, the developers have really impressed me, and I had no problem pre-purchasing the game even though I think it will be a lot more buggy than it should be. For me at least, the strong points are so strong that I bought it anyway, and I just accept the fact that some things may be bugged in the early days/weeks. So I'll skip them and have fun doing something else.

    Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
    Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
    Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG
    Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC

  • muthaxmuthax mondaPosts: 592Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

    Why cant you all just accept the fact that the next two months is a payed beta...  That will allow them to get all the bugs cleaned out...

     

    the  most important day for this game is somewhere in june, as it will release in perfect state on the consoles...  Where they may sell like 3 to 4 million copies on PC, they might sell 10 to 15 million copies on consoles...  I think most of the console generation are very much ready for their first MMO.

     

     

    The game is moving for greatness on the consoles, and Zenimax and Bethesda know this..

     

    Not forgetting that aside from Titan Fall (but xbone only) there is practically NOTHING decent on all those next gen consoles sitting near the TV. And there won't be much till at least early next year

  • DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 19,044Member Epic
    Originally posted by alicorn
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    The recent beta tests were to test server stability, Zenimax has even said this publicly.  It's not to test the client.  The final game client is already finished and being packed into boxes as we speak...

    I'm not going to say you're wrong or right since neither of us work for Zenimax and can't truly know that.  But let's assume you're correct.  If that's true, then why did the previous beta client that was also used strictly to test server stability have so many less bugs.  Why were quests that were not broken now broken?

    You can't say that it's because they used an older client to test the stability because this client had collision detection for the very first time, so it was a newer build.

    I think your post is what you would like to be true, and for that matter what I would like to be true as well.  We won't know for 13 days.  That said, my OP was not being critical of there being bugs it was being critical of inviting the masses to see a bug-filled client at a time when people are deciding whether or not to buy.

    Here, come taste my new spaghetti sauce.  It's not as good as the one I had you test last week, and this one tastes really strongly of vinegar, but ignore that because the stuff I have in the jars ready to ship is perfect.  This vinegar-laden one is just to test how well it stays on the spoon.

    MikeB had a good theory on this, this weekend was the last test, he figured that would mean a more consistent concurrent user base as it's the last chance to play before release a few weeks away. More players on meant the system was under more stress, that's just his guess, but it makes sense. It makes sense to me because the later at night it got the better the systems seemed to work for me (less crowded zones).

    Anyway, I didn't see any "new bugs" this weekend simply the same bugs as last time  with some happening a bit more frequently. I do think the questing issue is one singular issue rather than "every quest being bugged".

     

    Keep in mind newer doesn't exactly mean latest...

     

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

    It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at one's character in the face of logic and reason- Me

  • RigamortisRigamortis Nextdoor, CAPosts: 204Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by alicorn
    Originally posted by Allacore69

     


    Originally posted by alicorn

    September 1997 was the last day of the original beta test. The beta ended with a bang, as players were treated to an "end of the world" scenario with Shadowlords, demons, and other evil creatures slaughtering every character in sight. Ultima Online opened its doors to the public.[36] In 1998, the game expanded, and the number of users reached over 100,000 worldwide. In 1999, the game expanded to Japan in January, to Europe in May, and to South Korea in July. Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Online So only 2 expansions were tested publicaly for beta. One closed(1997) and one open(2009) The official game never had "outside" beta testing or "public" testing. I'm not calling you out. Just clairify first so people don't look it up, like I did, and lose credibility. Now I do agree with your post op. I have yet to see any "patch notes" for a build we have not tested yet. I was getting pissed yesterday because the quests were bugged to death and for some reason my character would swing to death and the enemy would still be standing there looking at me like, "duh". lol
    You aren't calling me out, I was in the beta test.  I actually have a still active account that was created the day UO launched and I had been part of the last beta in 1997 (I'm an old fart - good thing this isn't Logan's Run!) so it's fine if people look it up.  Having been beta testing that long doesn't make me special, I only use it as a reference that I have experienced betas going back a very long way when they were quite different than now.

     

    Yeah this weekend was tough because I actuallye xpected to see some of the naggy bugs like and getting locked in crafting fixed and then to be falling through the world and have previously fine quests bugged was annoying.  I have a plan for launch though in case these issues still persist so as long as I can connect and stay online I am set to be happy :-)


     


    DANG dude. Thats a long time yo'. I think I started my first beta 5 years ago lol.

    Although in 1997 I was 12 lol.

    In 1997 I was 31... told you I was old!  My first computer was in 1983, a TRS-80 Model 4 with 16k (yes 16k) memory and a cassette drive.  Oh, and it cost like $1500.  The dual 512k floppies I added later cost another $800.

    You forgot the daisy wheel printer!  I had one at least lol.

    -Rig

Sign In or Register to comment.