Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quality of Life Issues Ruin This Game

Comments

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    Originally posted by Zeblade

The only part I agree on is the repair cost. Someone here said "if you die allot" haha not even true. I got to lvl 5. Only died once and please what combat is there getting to level 5? My repair cost was 500g WOW I only had 700 total at that time. So no dying did this.

Could be a bug because I ran out a window to die to see and then it was like 7g. So my guess is SOME of us I PRAY seen a bug.

The game is just to sluggish. Half the time you tend to think you are lagging yet your getting 60+fps but it looks laggy. Questing is way to easy. Don't even try to say its hard or challenging. Unless running back and forth is hard for you or killing that NPC that maybe moves 2 feet is to hard.

Yet I am seeing this as of late. So many want EASY. Killing more then 3 they start to cry. They would never had made it killing 15-25-25-10 and repeat haha. Good old days

Sorry but also the hand holding quests. They are all that way. Just pop open the map and go. One quest you had to get in to this place and to do this you had to talk to so and so. Leave it there and now its fun but no. Under that it says "go talk to so and so in the market place"> open the map DUH theres that white dot you have to go to.

ITs like it was made for 12y olds.

That is super strange. I made a fresh Dragon Knight this beta weekend and got to level 11. There was a time I was trying to solo a group quest and died 5 times. It cost me around ~233g to repair my full set of plate (minus pauldrons).  

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Redhawk2006

3. SOUL GEMS: 

Either get rid of this useless and unfun mechanic or at least allow us to rez people without having to use gems.

No thanks, GW2 is that way > where you can rezz your zerg at no cost whatsoever and keep on zerging.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • vzerovvzerov Member Posts: 125

So limited bag spaces is immersion breaking, the need to pay to repair items is immersion breaking, death penalty is immersion breaking.

Okay....

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Irregardless

Mmmmmmmmmk...credibility denied.

• AtaakaAtaaka Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    I agree with OP but Irregardless is not a word.

Irregardless is a word commonly used in place of regardless or irrespective, which has caused controversy since the early twentieth century, though the word appeared in print as early as 1795.[1] Most dictionaries[citation needed] list it as "nonstandard" or "incorrect".

sorry... I hate spelling errors.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by nttajira
    Originally posted by Netspook
    Originally posted by kitarad

You guys should have played Everquest in 1999 that was hardship. Even copper coins weighed you down. If you were a monk you could not even loot all the lovely platinum weapons to sell cos they weighed a tonne.

The things you complain about these day my god what trivial nonsense.

The world moves on, in case you haven't noticed. This is just as stupid as saying things like:

People complain about the hospital being 4 hours drive away. In the good old days you had walk for 3 days to find a tailor who knew a little about bandages...

Btw, your precious outdated piece of crap is still there, nothing prevents you from going back.

easy mode and casual mmorpg are sure the UPDATED mmorpg right ? i dont say what he say right

but even the carebears hate how mmorpg are easy now and you guy are even trying to make them even more easy.

they are damn reason why armor break, you need dont want to die ect in a mmorpg...

go play hello kitty...

No one wants to die in any game, because everyone wants to be good enough to avoid that, but I cerainly don't mind that death happens, I never said otherwise. But suggesting hat difficulty is determined by armor repairs and limited bag/Inventory space, that's just retarded.

Btw, it's etc ("et cetera"), not ect.

• BlackBerryTeaBlackBerryTea Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

1...   Bag space is more then enough, combined with the fact that you can craft from your bank inventory...  On top of that you can get to a merchant or bank quite easilly withouth hours of traveling....  And extra slots are available for both inventory and bank, its widely expandable

2. Any game needs a money pit, make sure you dont die and there is almost no repair costs,  it really works very much as intended, tough  players that die a lot pay a lot... Which seems to be atleast some kind of deadpennalty players feel.

3.  Soul gems are easy to aquire, and add flavour and depth... In those simple fights that give you soulgems, you seriously dont need all those 12 skills you have, and can easilly have a spot for the soulmagic...  This mechanic forces you to plan ahead, in general i stuff 50 soulgems, and try fill up used ones as fast as its possible..  I just love the mechanic

I can agree to that alot more than to the OP.

A game simply needs somethign to eat up money... unless you want ti to get like UO where everyone stores theire millions of gold pieces in bank and nothing is woth anything anymore? I doubt that alot.

I would prefere an extra prosition for the Soulgem though ^^

• AtaakaAtaaka Member UncommonPosts: 213

PLAY ESO TODAY!!! 

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Just another vote to disagree with the OP.  Not going to elaborate.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Vannor

So.. yeh

The OP is wrong on just about every point. Inventory space can be increased... so that was a waste of finger energy.

Who said it wasn't upgradable?

Repair costs are a gold sink, all games have them.. and they are a death penalty.

All games do not have gold sinks, nor are they necessary. They are not a death penalty, because you accrue them even if you don't die just by playing the game. If you never die, then this game isn't much of a challenge, is it?

You don't want a death penalty you say? Might as well get rid of death altogether than..

That makes no sense whatsoever. How does that logically follow? Death is a death penalty in itself. GW2 had it right in their pre-release commentaries, though they later reneged on their promise. i can't say it any better:

"Why should we debuff you, take away experience, or make you run around for five minutes as a ghost instead of letting you actually play the game? We couldn’t think of a reason. Well, we did actually think of a reason -- it just wasn’t a good one. Death penalties make death in-game a more tense experience. It just isn’t fun. We want to get you back into the action (fun) as quickly as possible. Defeat is the penalty; we don’t have to penalize you a second time."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/08/guild-wars-2-cutting-back-on-healers-death-penalties.aspx

Fun. In MMO games. The horror!

If you want a death penalty and "immersion" then repair costs are a joke anyway. In the real world when someone stabs you in the chest with a spear, you die in agony spitting blood. That's a death penalty. Get hit once and your character dies and you have to start from scratch. Repair costs are just another noxious unfun grind, let's stop with the absurd notion they are some kind of pillar of meaningful gameplay.

Soul gems? Expensive? Lol.. not only can you fill them passively at later stages of the game, they cost absolutely nothing and the charge on items lasts for hours.

They are very expensive, if you wish to keep your weapons charged and they become obsolete as you level up. They don't last for hours unless you're doing nothing but whacking bunnies. Be real.

I'll be even more clear about what I mean. This is an RPG.. progression is one of the main features. Quality of life comes with progression.. if you keep playing all those problems go away, leaving you with the feeling you have achieved something. This is why we play these games.

You can have progression without tedium and grind. It is a fiction that this genre require either. Grind is not "progression" it is regression, which is why most players hate it. True progression in these games requires developers who can think outside the tired formula they have relied on for years and to which players are thoroughly burned out.

You talk like you assume I haven't played much of this game. I'm betting you've only played til around the level 10 mark.

Because you are trying to state that soul gems are expensive as a matter of fact, you obviously have no clue what you are talking about and haven't played the game properly yet. Everyone should just ignore what you are saying.. your opinions are founded on a lack of information and experience with the game.

The info that you are lacking is that empty soul gems drop all the time and cost next to nothing from vendors. There is a passive skill in the soul line, called soul lock, that gives a chance to fill a soul gem for every enemy you kill... no need to waste a skill slot or do anything yourself. This happens all the time. The soul gems do last for hours.. because higher level equipment can hold a higher amount of charge. Progression.

Damaged gear in ESO reduces the effectiveness of it, something you don't seem to be aware of. When you use things they get worn or break and need upkeep... if you can't understand the immersion of this then you're just.. strange. I don't care if you want it or not, but you should at least understand it and why it's there. The cost is meaningless later in the game. Progression.

Inventory space.. you played until you have 120 slots yet? Doubt it. My point still stands. Progression.

Progression is regression? Dumbest thing I've heard in awhile.

I bet you'd love a game where you just run around with the left mouse button held down and everything happened automatically. Hell, why give us 5 skill slots when they could just let you fire them all off on one slot? Lets take away health because dying is an unnecessary inconvenience. Lets just make the game have auto equipment. so we don't even have to look at the stats ourselves, it wastes time... blah blah blah.

You use a health potion to stay alive. You use a soul gems to fight better and stay alive. There is no difference in the purpose of these mechanics. Limited inventory space gives players a reason to visit social hubs.. otherwise everyone would just be out in the wilds and the hubs would be deserted. Same thing applies to repair costs.

You think all game developers just keep getting it wrong over and over again? You don't think it more likely that 'you' just haven't thought about all the implications of what you are asking for?

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

Apart from inventory - I'd go back to the ES III: Morrowind model of inventory management  - you're wrong about everything else imo.

They're trying to bring a little "old school" back to this mmo, and everything you complained about is 100% the way it should be.

• quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

Most of the old school ideas, like inventory management, repair bills, death penalties, quest givers that send you back and forth like a ping-pong ball... all of this serves one purpopse.  It makes things take longer to accomplish.  Remember, TESO is a subscription game.  The longer they can make it take for you to finish their content, the more months of revenue they get from you.  It really is that simple.

• niteflynitefly Member Posts: 340

I agree with the OP to a certain extent. I love the amount of items you can pick up in ESO and I like that so many things can be utilised in crafting up until they decided to make crafting largely irrelevant apart from a few enchantments. This might change later on so I'm not too worried. The problem with this system is that the developers haven't realised that adding a lot more items to the game will also necessitate larger bag space. I fear that extra bag space will be added in a cash shop post launch because right now the high amount of items coupled with poor inventory management mechanics just seems like bad game design.

My assumption is that cash options for the following "perks" will be added soon after launch:
    - Extra bag space
    - Extra bank space
    - Separate crafting mat space accessible at all times and from all chars
    - Remote repair

The second and third point brought up by the OP I don't have anything to add to. I never liked Death Penalties in MMOs unless they were permanent death and deletion of your character (in PvE) and the soul gem mechanic just seems like a 1980's computer game inspired timesink.

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138

You guys should have played Everquest in 1999 that was hardship. Even copper coins weighed you down. If you were a monk you could not even loot all the lovely platinum weapons to sell cos they weighed a tonne.

First and last AAA game that had it.

It says a lot.

And you forgot: you used to walk BOTH ways....UPHILL!

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by Doushi
    Originally posted by Droosteel
    Originally posted by Doushi

I have to disagree, no problems with inventory, repairing gear is standard thing in mmo and its good to have money sinks.

and the soul gems? time consuming? expensive? I took me 5 mins to fill 20.

Why is it a bad thing if game makes you do stuff?

I enchanted my weapons, they were "empty" in 20-30 minutes and needed soulgems to fill up constantly which made it VERY annoying and started to drain gold VERY quickly. If i wanted my enchntemets working i would have to spend pretty much ALL my gold on solugems and constantly filling them up.

My inventory/bank was constantly full despite crafting/extrating everything and thats with JUST first tier of materials.

how is that in any way fun or "enhancing" the gameplay?

but you do also understand that this is one of the "damned if you do, damned if you dont" for the devs?

sure the frequence of recharging the weapons should be addressed, but rechargin your weapons is elder scrolls thing.

if its not in the game, the elder scroll fans will be upset, and this is elder scrolls so it should be there.

I didnt say recharging SHOULDNT be there, i say that they choose a LOT of ways to just annoy the player (some of them are in OP) and that same goal can be achieved in much less annoying way

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Elikal

I agree with the OP.

Those are just made up mechanics which make no sense at all.

And this is why I will always prefer F2P or Micro-transaction business models.  Every single one of those issues (plus others) is nothing more then developmental obstacles used to keep you subscribed longer.  In a F2P model you can alleviate most of these issues by monetizing the obstacles and hurdles.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    I would much rather the game makes us pay via a cash shop for more inventory space rather than say rare enchants. That's what having a problem with bags allows, so I do not see it as a problem.
  • VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by cheyane

Unlimited inventory space will not happen . I think it's a pipe dream to even think of it. Think of all the money the cash shop will lose.

BINGO !

Said this earlier but it was ignored so i will reinforce it here.

Lolipops !

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    Originally posted by Voiidiin

Unlimited inventory space will not happen . I think it's a pipe dream to even think of it. Think of all the money the cash shop will lose.

BINGO !

How does that statement even make sense? There are no expanded inventory spaces sold in their cash shop.

• SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by Aulliwyn

BINGO !

How does that statement even make sense? There are no expanded inventory spaces sold in their cash shop.

Yet.

Just a matter of time.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

BINGO !

It's ignored because it's old and tired to bring it up as a quip, may they monetize it? Sure, will anyone be surprised? No...

They've already opened that box before launch, proceed with caution if you have a problem with cash shops, games that might fail and go F2P ( which is always a possibility).. etc...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Elikal

I agree with the OP.

Those are just made up mechanics which make no sense at all.

And this is why I will always prefer F2P or Micro-transaction business models.  Every single one of those issues (plus others) is nothing more then developmental obstacles used to keep you subscribed longer.  In a F2P model you can alleviate most of these issues by monetizing the obstacles and hurdles.

So...if I understand you correctly you're saying that F2P is better because they leave in the time sinks and charge money to speed them up a bit?

Interesting perspective.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Droosteel

First and last AAA game that had it.

It says a lot.

And you forgot: you used to walk BOTH ways....UPHILL!

in the snow..... in the snow as well.

You know, in EVE when you install armor plating it impacts the nimbleness of your ship response, so there are still games that use the concept of mass impairing mobility.

DAOC has the weight mechanic, weight of your gear plus weight of looted items can impair you to the point of being stuck in one place, so no, EQ wasn't the only title to use it.

Wasn't until WOW came along that the mechanic was largely done away with, yet another reason modern MMO's are shallow.

The over emphasis on convenience has just ruined not only the games, but the gamer's themselves. No character these days.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Everything the OP talks about as negatives I believe adds to the Elder Scrolls feel of the game.  Take them away and it would really cut a lot out of the feel of the game for me.

1.  Inventory isn't that bad and the categories seem well thought out.  Yea you get way more things than you have space for but isn't that a core feature of TES games?  You can either pick and choose what you carry or you can make more trips back to town.

2.  Repair Costs.  LOL I can not believe MMO's have gotten to the point where we criticize repair costs. As long as those repair costs are consistent across all armor types and group roles (tanks don't pay more than mages) I don't have a issue with them being something that keeps inflation under control.

3.  Soul gems.  This is a great TES feature that fits in nicely in this game.  they are not near as rare higher levels as you think and if the skill really bothers you only put it on your bar when you need to fill a stack.

What you see as frustrations I see as mechanics meant to really improve the feel of the game not just for the first 10 levels but for the whole game.

• R.LimaR.Lima Member UncommonPosts: 135

1. INVENTORY: Inventory management is a major anti-fun nightmare in this game. You simply have nowhere near the amount of slots you need to hold all the thousands of items you find, and there is nothing more immersion and fun-killing than running out of bag space and having to return to town to find some way of storing or getting rid of all these items. Even in the Beta where you can just chuck most items because my character is going to be deleted inventory hassles are appalling. With your real toon in the real game where you have to make serious decisions about this stuff I can see it really killing game play and forcing people to quit the game, just as myself and other players I know quit Fallen Earth for the same reason. Lack of adequate inventory space can completely cripple a game.

My suggestion is to give us unlimited inventory, at least in the bank space if not character space. Guild Wars 2 had it right when they gave the player tons of free space with which to store crafting mats and allowed you to send items to your crafting items bank from anywhere in the game. No need to keep disrupting game play and fun with this tedious crap.

I will have to disagree with you entirely. There is plenty of room already, unless you pick up every single thing you find in the world, which quite frankly isn't reasonable. First of all, there is no practical use for all the things you pick up. I say this because a very large portion of the things you pick up are crafting ingredients, and you can only realistically specialize in a few professions. You will probably end up selling more than half of it, while another portion rots in your inventory. Trying to be everything at the same time simply is not what this game encourages, especially due to its skill system.

On the other hand, you may be trying to hoard everything to flood the economy for your own personal gain, but that messes with the economy as a whole because if players don't have to take their inventory space into account, then they can grab anything and everything, causing the supply to far outweigh the demand. Furthermore, you talk about immersion, but I believe an infinite amount of inventory space would make for a far less believable and realistic experience for obvious reasons, thus diminishing immersion, and making ESO feel much more like a game.

Inventory management is a very traditional, extremely reasonable, and easily dominated feature. It makes for a more stable economy by discouraging loot hoarders, it makes sense from an immersion point of view, because your character can only carry so much in a backpack, and It is manageable without a hitch through a reasonable dose of common sense.

2. REPAIR COSTS: Repair costs are absolutely exorbitant in this game, and you take damage to your gear even if you don't die, which amounts to a continual Combat Tax that accrues so long as you are fighting stuff. Taxes in games are as fun as taxes in real life: zero. But at least in real life you get roads and schools and stuff for your money which softens the pain. Here you get nothing but another mindless anti-fun mechanic which serves to force you out of exploring and having fun and running back to town to get repairs or carry overpriced repair kits.

Get rid of repair costs and death penalties. They serve no purpose.

Again, I will have to disagree. Repair costs serve an immensely influential factor within a game's economy, which is the fluctuation of gold. If there is no way for players to lose gold, then prices soar in order to take advantage of the greater buying power. There needs to be mechanisms that control, at least to a certain extent, how much gold is in the economy, or else there is no way to fight inflation. Furthermore, it absolutely serves a purpose by discouraging death, making you think twice before doing something reckless. This in turn is important because it generates tension, adrenaline, and, to a certain extent, fear, all of which are partly responsible for a meaningful experience in an RPG. Furthermore, it creates downtime within the game, which is also important to control pacing.

3. SOUL GEMS: Yet another boring, frustrating make-work mechanic. Soul gems are expensive, hard-to-find and another boring grind to have to fill. Worse, you only have 5 ability slots (way too few) and one of them has to be occupied by a soul-gem ability so you can fill the gems. It adds nothing to my game play to have to find and fill these things other than frustration, and it is a real impediment to cooperative game play when I can't rez people in the field or in RvR because I can't afford to.

Either get rid of this useless and unfun mechanic or at least allow us to rez people without having to use gems.

Again, this feature serves a critical purpose within ESO's gameplay, and I will have to disagree with your point. If resurrection were to be costless, a group of keep attackers in AvA would always win against defenders through attrition, as they would keep resurrecting their players while constantly beating down on the keep's defenses. Furthermore, in PvE this would allow smart groups of players to never wipe, unless the content was so brutally hard that this mechanic would have to be abused in order to get past encounters.

Irregardless of whether a particular player likes inventory management or other boring make-work hassles or feels they are necessary, I doubt there is a single player out there who will quit the game in frustration because you gave them unlimited inventory. There are plenty of people out there who will quit games over issues like this because we feel they cripple game play and kill the fun in the game. As I mentioned I quit Fallen Earth over its horrible inventory system and know others who did the same. I can sadly see myself quitting this game for the same reason.

I don't know why developers insist on hamstringing their games with tedious and anti-fun crap like this. I suspect it is much like the Army, where we used to say that  "there is the right way, the wrong way and the Army way" which meant decisions were rarely made on the basis of whether they were wise or stupid, but simply because that is the way things are done. Inventory management, repair costs, waypoint fees and other frustrations are thrown into MMO games thoughtlessly not because they are right or wrong for the game, but because that's what every other MMO does. This monkey see, monkey do copycat nonsense is why so many MMOs are just stale, carbon-copies of everything that has come before with nothing new, interesting or innovative.

Please think about whether these things add to the game or take way from it. This game has a lot of potential to be fun. Removing the anti-fun shackles will help this game run free and fun as it should be.

With all I have read, I strongly recommend you try Guild Wars 2 (unless you have, in which case you should stick to it). The things you desire will never happen in ESO, as their design philosophy throughout all game systems has made this clear enough. I'm sorry, but if these things make or break your opinion of the game, then it is probably not for you.