Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO +1

battlesambattlesam Member UncommonPosts: 15

Imho, a MMO brings a single player game to life! From Civilization to Panzer General or even to Skyrim, none of those games were even remotely interesting compared to DAoC, which was my first MMO experience. MMOs allow you to play with other people, but in pvp you compete against people to a greater degree than in any other gaming experience. (Yea an organized small group can kick ass, but having 100 people organized is something to behold, they can rule that world.) Fortunately one of the main architects of DAoC is the lead here in ESO and he has brought the same paradigm to ESO: three faction pvp combined with realm pride. From what I’ve seen so far in Cyrodill it looks good, but we will never really know until a few months post launch.

My first beta experience was WOW and at the end of beta the most annoying thing to me was the ‘loot lag’. You kill a mob, then you sit stuck for 60 seconds or so crouched over the mob until the server has recorded the loot and responds. The same loot lag existed for at least the first 3 weeks after launch. No game since, however, had more polish than WOW at release. The detail in that game was remarkable. Of course, the pvp in WoW was substandard because it was fragmented and without a central plan, (although the classes themselves were immensely fun). The endgames of WOW were a collection of treadmills spread throughout the theme park. IMO Cyrodil is not a treadmill, it’s a ride that’s a blast. (And not a single BG in ESO, that’s ballsy!)

Warhammer was a complete mess, but oh what a mess! Public quests were a revolutionary feature, the graphics were so ‘not-WOW’, but the best thing about Warhammer were the classes. Like DAoC, WAR had lots and each was arguably unique, not trivial, and fun. The RVR lakes in Tier 1 and especially 2 were godly once they got rolling a couple of months after launch, but by then the game had contracted a terminal illness. The piss poor crafting system, the fragmentation of the population caused by the BG levelling alternative, the shitty game world, the small, weak RvR content, etc, is all absent in the design of ESO. In a nutshell, WAR was a confused design, ESO is not.

Too me GW2, a successful title, demonstrates the inadequacy of the F2P model for a AAA MMORPG. When you get down to it, nothing substantial has been added to that game since release. DAoC, WOW, and WAR all had multiple major content additions because the subscription revenue allowed them to budget for that work. The additional guilds to the Mage, Fighters, and Undaunted, a Darkness Falls-like dungeon and adventure zones, are but a few major content additions one can expect in the early future of ESO. Like the James Cameron movies, big ideas require big money.

A year ago when Zenimax revealed the game, the Elder Scrolls and the MMO communities both complained vehemently about a poor implementation of the ES titles. The company didn’t fight with PR, they shut up and got to work to bend the MMO to the will of the fans. They succeeded. That more than anything tells me this game has a bright future.

Not even gonna think about this game for the next two weeks. Then my kid and I will put a Dunmer Sorc on a rope to 50 for Cyrodil. 

Cheers

Comments

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    +1
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

It's been a while since I've seen an ESO fan post that I actually agreed with.  WAR launch was pretty awesome /nostalgia... and I do love that ESO launched with no bgs. 

My only real problem with this post is never assume anything about content additions before you've actually played them.  We have no idea how well they'll implement them and how long it will take for them to get around to it.  I remember people raving about all the things gw2 was going to add... and well... you see what we got.  I don't think it's all about the subscription model.  Even WoW which makes over 200 million on their cash shop and about a bazillion dollars in subscriptions and the rate that they add new content can be very lackluster at times.

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

+ 1

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I've been trying to think of the words to describe my weekend.

ESO +1

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Nothing's been added to GW2 since launch?

Fractals of the Mist (which contains several dungeons)

Entire new tier of gear

Raise the max for crafting skills

Entire new WvW map

Vastly improved PvP matchmaking and tournaments

Living story

lots more...

Point is, GW2 is actually a example of why B2P games CAN work.  One of the things that makes me not want to buy ESO is the fact that it's P2P and GW2 exists.  If I couldn't get a game of GW2's caliber at launch, without a sub, then I would look much more kindly on ESO's P2P model.

As is, I just don't think ESO is worth the sub.  Especially since they are pulling that BS with the collector's edition only imperial race.  For a freaking sub I want to get EVERYTHING the game offers without having to shell out more money.

I don't think ESO is a bad game, and I may play it at some point...but for now, I just don't think it's worth the price of admission given that I feel (just my opinion) GW2 is better and it launched with no sub.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

ESO just feels so dull and uncreative.

I think Devs jump into this genre just to try and make some money, without a real vision or good idea. That's why all of these games are Exactly the same, just a  different theme.  In this case elder scrolls.

These company's just want to get there hand in the jar.  

The more scripted crap and cut scenes they add to these games, the farther and farther away they get from what an MMO actually is supposed to mean.  MMOs are not single player quest grinding till cap, with instanced personal stories.

People have no clue any more. Go back to making rpgs plz, and stop making these single player crap shoots where other players are just scenery.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• RigamortisRigamortis Member UncommonPosts: 207

Either you like it and will play it,  or you won't.  Myself,  I will be playing it to give it a fair chance to hook me.  If it doesn't,  I will move onto something else like Wildstar.  All the hate mongering and vitriol that has been spewed about this game is way overboard.  To me,  it seems like there is a concerted effort / movement to unfairly slander the game.  Life is WAY too short to get soooo worked up about a "video game" that it makes you angry IRL.  Just my 2 bits.

-Rig

Former GM and associate game designer for SOE and Square Enix.  (2001-2008)
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Nothing's been added to GW2 since launch?Fractals of the Mist (which contains several dungeons)Entire new tier of gearRaise the max for crafting skillsEntire new WvW mapVastly improved PvP matchmaking and tournamentsLiving storylots more... Point is, GW2 is actually a example of why B2P games CAN work.  One of the things that makes me not want to buy ESO is the fact that it's P2P and GW2 exists.  If I couldn't get a game of GW2's caliber at launch, without a sub, then I would look much more kindly on ESO's P2P model.As is, I just don't think ESO is worth the sub.  Especially since they are pulling that BS with the collector's edition only imperial race.  For a freaking sub I want to get EVERYTHING the game offers without having to shell out more money.I don't think ESO is a bad game, and I may play it at some point...but for now, I just don't think it's worth the price of admission given that I feel (just my opinion) GW2 is better and it launched with no sub.

+1 - This is a very competitive market and when your closest competition is buy to play and your pay to play and your game does nothing better than that buy to play game except music. ... The choice is clear, the buy to play game is the best choice.