Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: To Pre-Order or Not?

123457»

Comments

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by sazabius

I'm not sure who WildStar is aimed at, honestly.  Everyone who grew up doing 40 man raids is too old for that shit now or knows better. I suppose the old Guard of WoW Raiders will either keep doing WoW raids or move over (I see very few playing both).

Had WildStar installed a for a weekend beta and could not bring myself to get interested, very much of a case of been there done that, I don't like MMO leveling tedium and ended up playing PSO2 the entire weekend... the tedium of click quest giver do quest go to next guy do quest makes me want to kill myself. Also the first zone really reminded me of Gnomeregan. I loathe the art style and sense of humor in this game. I've watched a lot of the live streams with the devs and they aren't funny during those either...  I know a lot of this is subjective but a lot of it is not. This is standard MMO fare and we've all seen this shit before. Do not want.

Anyway who the hell pre-orders an MMO these days? Haven't all of us had a Hellgate: London or SWToR by now?

Well said

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Got in this beta got real high. I was going for ESO to buy. Got to play that a few weekends.

Its now going to buy for sure Wildstar not buying ESO. Wildstar is just fun. Get past 10, 20 and so on its fun..gets better..for me it did.

EDIT:

LIFE IS SHORT.. PRE-ORDER AWAY!

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    No Pre-order here, I'm looking for something different and Wildstar isn't it... I don't like the cartoony graphics, telegraphing and themepark quest driven progression. I'm sure people will love it and it will do well but it's not for me.
  • TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    I'm a huge fan. I liked what I saw in the closed beta, and the down to earth vibe the guys at Carbine have. I'm definitely supporting them with a pre-order. 
  • crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Not a chance. 
  • NitetasiaNitetasia Member UncommonPosts: 29

I've have been a beta for a long time... and the only thing that bugs be about the game is the challenge quests and how the quests give you % kills. Because the amount of % you get per kill is based on your level and the mobs level, you have to really plan your quests... cuz if your even just a level higher than the mob your killing, you now have to kill MORE mobs to finish the quest... which that makes the challenges dumb because if you out level them you have to kill more in a time limit and it will make you mad like most of the bate testers now. Now if you can get past just the Killing quests and challenges the game is great. but they really need to fix that problem, before the launch, or the game is going to feel grindy which is why they changed the game to % in the first place...

Anyway, saying that, I wont pre-order... i'll wait for launch and see how it goes. if they fix that problem, I'm in because the rest of the game is great and fun.

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by sazabius

I'm not sure who WildStar is aimed at, honestly.  Everyone who grew up doing 40 man raids is too old for that shit now or knows better. I suppose the old Guard of WoW Raiders will either keep doing WoW raids or move over (I see very few playing both).

Had WildStar installed a for a weekend beta and could not bring myself to get interested, very much of a case of been there done that, I don't like MMO leveling tedium and ended up playing PSO2 the entire weekend... the tedium of click quest giver do quest go to next guy do quest makes me want to kill myself. Also the first zone really reminded me of Gnomeregan. I loathe the art style and sense of humor in this game. I've watched a lot of the live streams with the devs and they aren't funny during those either...  I know a lot of this is subjective but a lot of it is not. This is standard MMO fare and we've all seen this shit before. Do not want.

Anyway who the hell pre-orders an MMO these days? Haven't all of us had a Hellgate: London or SWToR by now?

It's entirely aimed at the vanilla wow crowd - many of them want 40 man raids again.  I'm not one of them, nor is this game for me, but that's the main audience for this game and it's a decent sized crowd.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Aroukos
    Originally posted by Astraeis
    Never, ever, pre-order.

This^^

At least after many fail games and wasted money, i agree 100%

Never pre ordering again.

But what about the pre-order bonuses.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Nope, not pre-ordering. That does not mean I won't ever get it, but I will get it after it is released. The big problem with Wildstar is that it is releasing after RoS, which I already know I will be playing heavily, and just a bit before WoD, which I will also be getting. I don't honestly know how much time I will be able to play this game.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• cloudbery79cloudbery79 Member Posts: 2
    Will definitely preorder. June is still cold here and I don't have time off work until July, so it's a great release date for me. Played three beta weekends so far and will play other classes in upcoming ones.
  • NDC19NDC19 Member Posts: 23

Love how the OP typed 'Outside' with a capital letter. It's like a strange new world. o-O

Aside from that, personally I think wildstar will do great, for lovers of it's cartoony, yet flashy and vivid, fluent style. Will it do better or worse than ESO? No idea. It seems like a good idea to take such a distance from ESO's release date though. Allows Carbine for more bug-fixing (something I hear is terrible at ESO at this moment still) and refining before launch.

• DreycraftDreycraft Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Not pre-ordering. But even so, I personally think WS looks really fun and I like the graphics style, and the humor is definitely welcome, but ESO is just too damn good so I'm going with that. I still wouldn't mind trying the beta though so I hope they shoot me an invite.
  • popezaphodpopezaphod Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Well, if I could get into a Beta and try the game out (or if they had a trial membership) then maybe I'll buy the game.  But I've been burned waaaaaay too many times to invest $60 in a game I may play for a week and then quit.
  • RPGFiend3RPGFiend3 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    If I play this I definitely won't be pre-ordering, just not impressed with their incentives. If I come across a discount code... maybe.
  • phobic99phobic99 Member Posts: 1

After being in closed beta for a few months, this is the first major MMO I won't be preordering in quite a while. The more I played of WildStar, the less I wanted to.  Some of the design choices just completely baffle me and towards the higher levels, this game really started to grow stale for me. I can go into detail all day on my gripes but I'm sure no one cares.

I may buy the game in the future, but not for a few months at least and definitely not at full price.

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by phobic99

After being in closed beta for a few months, this is the first major MMO I won't be preordering in quite a while. The more I played of WildStar, the less I wanted to.  Some of the design choices just completely baffle me and towards the higher levels, this game really started to grow stale for me. I can go into detail all day on my gripes but I'm sure no one cares.

I may buy the game in the future, but not for a few months at least and definitely not at full price.

Same - first big mmo release I won't be playing in forever.  Wish the best to the Wildstar fans though.

• StormNetStormNet Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I pre-ordered. Having never played wow I can't compare but I did play the Wildstar beta week-ends a couple of times and enjoyed the game. I also enjoy that it isn't yet another fantasy game.
  • BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Hopefully Ill get to try it @ Pax east, however its looking to be a yes!

• HellscreamHellscream Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Ncsoft just needs to bring back (City of Heroes) this Wildstar game was a waste of money imo and honestly i hope its a huge fail of a game not to sound mean but what they did to City of Heroes fans and community i hope Ncsoft eats this one big time i will never buy another Ncsoft game ever mmo killers.
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Nah, preordering never worked out well for me.

Also... if I read it right on their website, you can basically buy ingame gold from launch onwards? Buy these "CREDD"s for real money and sell them in the game for other players? Call me old fashioned, but buying ingame gold for real money is not something I support.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)