Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who actually _enjoys_ this kind of questing?

Serious question.  I did maybe 50 quests this weekend, and every one was more or less the same:

1.  Go here, talk to this guy.

2. Go there, talk to this other guy.

3.  Go to the third spot and kill something for a shiny.

4.  Use the shiny to save the day, then go back and talk to that guy again.

It's all totally boring stuff that just feels like one chore after another.  The quest writing is REALLY bad.  Contrast this with other themeparks like 'The Secret World' which is a similar, but at least a lot of the quests had interesting puzzles or something to break the mould (and that game utterly failed).  ESO quests seem like they were written by 14 year olds, who were aiming at 10 year olds as their target audience.  No intelligence whatsoever.

I'm a huge fan of ES single player games, but this is _nothing_ like the sandbox feel of those games.  It doesn't help that combat is terrible:  you literally don't have to aim at anything.  If you point your target reticle 180 degrees opposite your enemy, your character will automatically turn around and never miss the target.

I can only imagine the kind of person who enjoys this type of progression as someone who has never played a themepark in their life.

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I do... I can't say it feels different than any basic quests I've done in any single player RPG, especially SKyrim and Oblivion. TSW was trying to offer something along the lines of an adventure game with those types of quests (as that was Ragnar's background) more so than an RPG.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    I do, it is what has been missing in MMOs IMO.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by psykobilly

Serious question.  I did maybe 50 quests this weekend, and every one was more or less the same:

It's all totally boring stuff that just feels like one chore after another.  The quest writing is REALLY bad.  Contrast this with other themeparks like 'The Secret World' which is a similar, but at least a lot of the quests had interesting puzzles or something to break the mould (and that game utterly failed).  ESO quests seem like they were written by 14 year olds, who were aiming at 10 year olds as their target audience.  No intelligence whatsoever.

I'm a huge fan of ES single player games, but this is _nothing_ like the sandbox feel of those games.  It doesn't help that combat is terrible:  you literally don't have to aim at anything.  If you point your target reticle 180 degrees opposite your enemy, your character will automatically turn around and never miss the target.

I can only imagine the kind of person who enjoys this type of progression as someone who has never played a themepark in their life.

I suppose you missed the whole point aboit why people love this?

its the stories and the lore that create imersion intoo a deep fantasy world.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by artemisentr4

Lol.

Which themepark MMO is missing brainless questing?

• ApollosWillApollosWill Member UncommonPosts: 82

Interesting, OP.

Can you give me an example of an intelligent quest from another MMORPG, if it is not ESO or TSW?

Just describe the quest and game. Just curious, especially since I find that TSW had some of the most interesting quests.

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I suppose you missed the whole point aboit why people love this?

its the stories and the lore that create imersion intoo a deep fantasy world.

agreed...creates a basis for who your character is.. and his journey through the world.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    These quests are terrible. Story and Lore can exist in a fantasy world without being shoved down your throat every second you are playing. Single Player games? Sure, they exist because of this. In an MMORPG, there is no place.
  • ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I enjoyed the quests in ESO very much.  I thought they were very enjoyable stories and felt different than the normal fetch this, kill this, quest hub MMOs.  I'm not a big Elder Scrolls fan boy either.  I played a bit of Oblivion and Skyrim but never more than once through the main story then quit.  To each his on.  I'll be playing ESO.  I've enjoyed the beta very much.  Just hope they fix the buggy quests before launch.
  • zinnikeyszinnikeys Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Enjoying it myself. The only thing I'm not enjoying is the phasing sometimes, but they say they're working on it. 
  • cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    so a kill ten rats quest is good because it's tied to voice acted lore? I found my self basically just clicking through the lore quests on the starter island then incredibly frustrated when I actually payed attention to the mainland quests which had broken objectives. this would be great if it were more sandbox but as a noticeably small themepark it becomes stale very fast which is a shame cause the world is rendered beautifully

so say we all

Lol.

The only "brainless ones" are those who have no clue what a RPG is. This is a MMORPG, not an empty world with nothing to do. Or like the latest MMOs just giving you very little content at all as a speed bump to end game.

I like the fact that the journey is fun again, not just a waste of time as in current MMOs on the market. Minus a couple, there are always those that like a type of feature.

I think the problem for the OP is that games like this go so far over his/her head that they just can't understand what is going on. So they have to attack those that do "get it" and call them names or childish and so forth. Even though I did stoop to the OPs level with my comment to start this post. image

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

Lol.

Comparing the quests here to what we've seen in most themeparks is playing obtuse IMO. I get it if you don't like questing, but this sounds like someone who doesn't know a bad quest from a good one to me.

Let me guess...Sandbox fan?

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

OP you could move your discussion to any forum on this site! It would fit in the WoW, Rift, TSW, and so on. 

To me all rpgs are taken from pen & paper games. Without quests you wouldn't have the progressive story needed to drive your character.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by cylon8
    so a kill ten rats quest is good because it's tied to voice acted lore? I found my self basically just clicking through the lore quests on the starter island then incredibly frustrated when I actually payed attention to the mainland quests which had broken objectives. this would be great if it were more sandbox but as a noticeably small themepark it becomes stale very fast which is a shame cause the world is rendered beautifully

I still haven't found that "kill ten rats" quest. Where is it?

R.A.Salvatore

Must be too hard for you, no arrow pointing the way and what not.

Originally posted by Jimmydean

Must be too hard for you, no arrow pointing the way and what not.

That is what I like about this game. I ignore the arrows and just find what is out there for me to find. Then complete the quests as they come while exploring. If you do connect the dots questing, it will feel linear. Just do it the way you want and it is a lot more fun.

R.A.Salvatore

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    These quests are terrible. Story and Lore can exist in a fantasy world without being shoved down your throat every second you are playing. Single Player games? Sure, they exist because of this. In an MMORPG, there is no place.

I really don't understand how people enjoy no risk no reward handholding quests.  Doing chores for NPC's gets old, for me, in about 30 minutes.  I guess it wouldn't be so objectionable if it wasn't so required.  Completely optional side quests are fine, but trying to force a story down my throat  just doesn't make sense to me.  Shouldn't be any stories except the ones I make myself in a virtual world.  Stories make the game completely linear...linear means less freedom, no thanks.

• GravehillGravehill Member Posts: 95
    I love when people click through all the dialogue and then complain that the quests are "mindless and boring". If you don't like questing, it might be time to stop playing RPGs.
    Originally posted by Mardukk

I really don't understand how people enjoy no risk no reward handholding quests.  Doing chores for NPC's gets old, for me, in about 30 minutes.  I guess it wouldn't be so objectionable if it wasn't so required.  Completely optional side quests are fine, but trying to force a story down my throat  just doesn't make sense to me.  Shouldn't be any stories except the ones I make myself in a virtual world.  Stories make the game completely linear...linear means less freedom, no thanks.

You are in the wrong forums and playing the wrong game for you. It should be obvious by just about every ES game made. The have quests, you follow the story. You can just do it with friends in ESO or go PvP after level 10.

R.A.Salvatore

They aren't stories they're events, it's what's happening around you, the NPC you talk to is someone who lives in that world, that's the point of this stuff, bringing that world to life... what it seems many of you want are games void of any of this where you mindlessly bash enemies all day long and collect the loot without much rhyme or reason, that's diablo, that's hack and slash, that is not RPG.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Not me.................. I am done with Quest Hubbing games, that's now officially the most boring feature of modern MMOs and what puts me off completely.

Originally posted by ste2000
    Not me.................. I am done with Quest Hubbing games, that's now officially the most boring feature of modern MMOs and what puts me off completely.

Good thing there are no quest hubs here then right?

Take a look towards the Dark Souls franchise for how questing can exist in a game, and not be shoved down your throat. And that's a single player game even! You know you are working towards a goal, but you aren't forced to go about that goal in a certain way and go from quest giver to quest giver. You make your own story on the way.

This lets you focus on the puzzles, combat, and exploration within the game rather than follow the arrow.

Stories don't.. game designers do. Story makes the world come alive.. what reason is there to kill if no one is telling u to do so. It would be pointless to remove questing and not replace it with anything that will drive game play.

Originally posted by Distopia

They aren't stories they're events, it's what's happening around you, the NPC you talk to is someone who lives in that world, that's the point of this stuff, bringing that world to life... what it seems many of you want are games void of any of this where you mindlessly bash enemies all day long and collect the loot without much rhyme or reason, that's diablo, that's hack and slash, that is not RPG.

I agree. games are empty of purpose when there is no direction at all. There is no reason not to have questing and freedom.