Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Beta Weekend Change Anyone's Mind About the Game?

Comments

• SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Originally posted by pahadevils

I'm having fun in the Beta and can recommend the game.

I do wish I could get control options where the mouse didn't move the camera (more like WoW ), but I'm great with the ESO interface otherwise.  It wouldn't matter, but I do get motion sickness when things get frantic and the slower pace where WASD keys control all the movement works a little better for me. 

Yeah, this game doesn't play like your typical MMO, it has the controls of a FPS.  This was one of my biggest issues with the game about a month ago but then I messed around with the keybindings and came up with something that works for me and makes the game play a little more like other MMO's I've played.  It definitely is an adjustment and takes time getting used to but I think the game is worth it.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Beta is a good way for people to decide if they like a game or not. I wouldn't base the possibility of a great game off of it though! 

The OPs question is the generic template question right towards the end of games beta cycle before release. The WoW  guys come out and destroy it with negative feedback because it wasn't like their games. ie, Rift had one of the best beta and release that I can recall due mostly because it resembled WoW so much. Games that aren't like WoW ie. GW2, TSW, and now ESO, get pummled.

If you don't like the ES games, you probably won't like ESO in most cases, and you should follow the default formula that you have always enjoyed.

As I've said multiple times on this site, People have a variety of reasons to like/dislike games, and this ain't different. And I would expect a person with nearly 3300 posts to understand that isn't such a black and white issue as you seems to believe.

I am one of the few persons around here who is not afraid to admit to like WoW. But that has NOTHING with why I'm not buying this game. Here are a few of MY  reasons:

- This game doesn't feel like a MMO. There are a lot of players around you, but there's hardly anything early in the game that encourages you to seek out other players.

- The quest system is a mess. From early on, you're sent everywhere and in all directions. But the worst part is that what other players often complete quest goals for you. An example: after laying out bait to lure out a gigantic bat, someone else killed it before it reached the bait, and I got credit for it.

- Inventory is extremely limited. As a person who likes having multiple characters doing a lot of crafting, 120 bank slots shared among 8 characters is a sad joke. When a few characters are at different crafting tiers, this won't be anywhere near enough. I wish they used EQ2's model: some private bank slots and some shared. (Yeah, I did actually use ONE comparison to another game...)

- No minimap. Laugh if you want, but this is a major one for me.

- Hard to tell if you're the one who claimed a mob, or if someone else did.

- And many miner other reasons

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659
    I had already quit playing, so no
  • 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

The interesting thing about ESO is that it seems to get WORSE with each beta iteration. The first time I played it had a few buggy quests, and problems with the server load.

I never encountered as many bugs and crashes as in this beta. Perma-slowed after death (needs a relog), more frequent getting stuck in NPC dialog/crafting window (/reloadui), random dismounts for no appearent reason, random instant deaths right after respawning in PvP rendering you unable to resurrect unless you relog, some actions and/or effects tend to crash the client of everyone witnessing it, invisible keepwalls and doors, ....and the list goes on.

I had some fun, the engine is pretty potent when it comes to rendering zerg-battles including siege.

Melee combat still is akward as ever.

CC seems to last forever and can be stacked.

Half of the time you won't be able to see anything when using siege weapons, because the camera chose to zoom out into the crown of a nearby tree, or a keepwall. That would be ok if it it was intended to be fired indirectly, but especially when using a trebuchet the camera zooms out to about 20 times your normal max distance per default, so I doubt it.

I was on the fence last beta, but in it's current state I can't get myself to pay full retail+monthly.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

I really tried to like it but in the end ESO is not for me. Hard to say why but probably because there is nothing in ESO which hasn't been done better elsewhere already.

DaoC and even GW2 have superior RvR imo. DaoC still the ruler here. GW2 only because they got the twitch combat better than ESO. But I am not really a fan of this 5 skill/dodge combat anyway. The single player part of PvE in ESO is far inferior to the real elder scolls games. And the group gameplay... very buggy. The quests are just the same we had many times now. The crafting is nice but at max level the best gear will still be drops which the crafter has the "honor" to upgrade. Just what I heard/read about crafting. Meh.

The phasing, ok, let's not talk about that, it's immersion breaking in my oppinion. It was implemented to reach the opposite,correct ? Didn't work out for me.

I liked the graphics and the music. In the end it's not enough to judge a P2P game for me.

P.S. And why the hell did they remove the choice of a starter weapon ? Just a minor point though but I really don't know why they did that.

Anyway, not a bad game, just not for me.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

It did not change my mind and I still enjoy the game aswell the pvp. It is the only new mmo at the moment which offers great immersion, questing and pvp in my opinion. It is an AAA release and not some shoddy game like swtor or dull questing like in GW2.

But, like mentioned in a different thread the current weekend beta client represents the game in a bad condition when it comes to bugs. The performance in pvp was in general better but there occasionally heavy lag spikes.

Around 2weeks before release and only playing the weekend beta client I would say the game is not finish for release. One of the long term beta tester in this forum wrote that actually the game is a lot more polished on their servers, I dont know if more of the long term beta tester can confirm this. The weekend beta client at the moment represents rather a game in an unpolished condition.

Originally posted by Anthur

I really tried to like it but in the end ESO is not for me. Hard to say why but probably because there is nothing in ESO which hasn't been done better elsewhere already.

DaoC and even GW2 have superior RvR imo. DaoC still the ruler here. GW2 only because they got the twitch combat better than ESO. But I am not really a fan of this 5 skill/dodge combat anyway.

I'll agree with you about DAoC having better RvR and that's mostly because the combat is totally different and more involved than the 5-skill combat you find in ESO or GW2. As far as GW2 having superior RvR to ESO? Not even close. Actually, its the other way around. Cyrodiil is about 10x the size of GW2's map and feels more like Emain in DAoC. Also, ESO has CC and stealth which GW2 lacks. Both of those elements I think are necessary in large scale PvP so everything isn't about having numbers and zerging, which is what GW2 is.

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    This game just doesn't bring enough to the table to warrant buying it with so many other good games right around the corner.
  • KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

Truth be said, a MMO can't be truly experienced by playing one, two or three BETA weekends.

I see a lot of problems in this game as I mentioned before but  by no means this is a bad game. Could be better? Yes a lot better but it still is a good game. As far as Cyrodiil goes, it can only get better from now on as people level up and we all see what Zenimax can do with TESO's game engine, is pretty amazing.

Wether its worth your money or not that's your own concern.

Unfortunately this game won't be launching with all the features we wan't MMO's to launch with but it's worth a shot to see where this is going.

I'm not fully confident that this game will provide us with enough content to be worth of subbing 15 a month for years to come but only time will tell.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Netspook
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Beta is a good way for people to decide if they like a game or not. I wouldn't base the possibility of a great game off of it though! 

The OPs question is the generic template question right towards the end of games beta cycle before release. The WoW  guys come out and destroy it with negative feedback because it wasn't like their games. ie, Rift had one of the best beta and release that I can recall due mostly because it resembled WoW so much. Games that aren't like WoW ie. GW2, TSW, and now ESO, get pummled.

If you don't like the ES games, you probably won't like ESO in most cases, and you should follow the default formula that you have always enjoyed.

As I've said multiple times on this site, People have a variety of reasons to like/dislike games, and this ain't different. And I would expect a person with nearly 3300 posts to understand that isn't such a black and white issue as you seems to believe.

Well, it's my opinion and I can believe what I want! :) If you don't like the game don't play! Simple enough.

I am one of the few persons around here who is not afraid to admit to like WoW. But that has NOTHING with why I'm not buying this game. Here are a few of MY  reasons:

I love the heck out of WoW. I like this too because it is different! Here is my deal though. When I don't like a game I don't go to the forum of that game a give reasons I don't want to buy it. I simply don't buy it!  

- This game doesn't feel like a MMO. There are a lot of players around you, but there's hardly anything early in the game that encourages you to seek out other players.

Just look for others to group with. Even the great and powerful WoW you can get to 90 on your own.

- The quest system is a mess. From early on, you're sent everywhere and in all directions. But the worst part is that what other players often complete quest goals for you. An example: after laying out bait to lure out a gigantic bat, someone else killed it before it reached the bait, and I got credit for it.

Quest system probably needs work but I'm sure not going to throw up my hands and walk away when I know things will be ironed out before launch or soon after. Same old generic pre-release statement by me and you both.

- Inventory is extremely limited. As a person who likes having multiple characters doing a lot of crafting, 120 bank slots shared among 8 characters is a sad joke. When a few characters are at different crafting tiers, this won't be anywhere near enough. I wish they used EQ2's model: some private bank slots and some shared. (Yeah, I did actually use ONE comparison to another game...)

The inventory system is fine imho. If it's not and people complain it will be changed. Simple enough! :) No reason not to play.

- No minimap. Laugh if you want, but this is a major one for me.

No minimap by design. I'm sure you have read that it was taken out because folks were playing it and not the game.  All the other ES games are like this as well. 

- Hard to tell if you're the one who claimed a mob, or if someone else did. 

In other games there are no lines or beacons denoting a mob to one player or another. If the mob is fighting someone or if someone is fighting it is clearly engaged with that person. If you can't tell jump in anyway, xp is shared. Sorry maybe I misunderstood this.

- And many miner other reasons

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

-

I actually enjoy the way questing works, especially the aspects you're complaining about (all directions and the shared progress). IT's certainly better than the alternative we typically see in MMO's (stuck in one area until you finish those quest lines and move on to the next area). This feels more like a proper RPG in that quests lead you all over the place, it also works nice how in between point a and point b I typically run into many distracting adventures that lead me else where. That's the aspect the makes the game really hard to log out of for me.

Shared questing with those in the area is also nice as there's no need to worry about kill stealing, dealing more dmg for the kill credit etc...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

i enjoy the lore, love the multiple dungeons , quests albeit repetitive arent bad (other players in instances are weird, its my quest! dont kill the mobs for me !!!! >.<)

The classes are meh, i dont feel like im playing a mage at all , tried to play melee but feel akward , the lack of skills , and that skills/animations look SOOOO BORING.....

the characters look weird , the enviremont and the world is awesome , good job on that , but the characters ugh.....

the music is amazing , the effects are good.

wont play at launch and will wait and see , but the core of the game (gameplay /classes / skills ) is what kills the game for me.

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by Skuall

i enjoy the lore, love the multiple dungeons , quests albeit repetitive arent bad , what kills the game for me is the gameplay.

The classes are meh, i dont feel like im playing a mage at all , tried to play melee but feel akward , the lack of skills , and that skills/animations look SOOOO BORING.....

the characters look weird , the enviremont and the world is awesome , good job on that , but the characters ugh.....

wont play at launch and will wait and see , but the core of the game (gameplay /classes / skills ) is what kills the game for me.

Do you like gw2 flashy skill animations? if you do I can understand why you don't like ESO. I have never liked over the top flashy skills... I like skills that look like they are doing what they are supposed to be doing... If you are slashing the enemy... do just that.. slash the enemy.. don't show me this bright red light.... slashing an enemy doesn't emit a bright red light.

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Neo_Liberty

i enjoy the lore, love the multiple dungeons , quests albeit repetitive arent bad , what kills the game for me is the gameplay.

Do you like gw2 flashy skill animations? if you do I can understand why you don't like ESO. I have never liked over the top flashy skills... I like skills that look like they are doing what they are supposed to be doing... If you are slashing the enemy... do just that.. slash the enemy.. don't show me this bright red light.... slashing an enemy doesn't emit a bright red light.

If it emits light it is a magic based skill to reflect as such. The red you are seeing is blood from the melee attacks contact with the skin. Giving it a real sense of damage and immersion. I love bloody attacks.

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by Setzer

DaoC and even GW2 have superior RvR imo. DaoC still the ruler here. GW2 only because they got the twitch combat better than ESO. But I am not really a fan of this 5 skill/dodge combat anyway.

I'll agree with you about DAoC having better RvR and that's mostly because the combat is totally different and more involved than the 5-skill combat you find in ESO or GW2. As far as GW2 having superior RvR to ESO? Not even close. Actually, its the other way around. Cyrodiil is about 10x the size of GW2's map and feels more like Emain in DAoC. Also, ESO has CC and stealth which GW2 lacks. Both of those elements I think are necessary in large scale PvP so everything isn't about having numbers and zerging, which is what GW2 is.

GW2 lacks CC and Stealth?

lol

If anyone ever wondered why the majority of the people say that the posters here comment after 5 mins playthrough of a game or after watching a youtube video, here's your proof.

Originally posted by skyline385

lol

If anyone ever wondered why the majority of the people say that the posters here comment after 5 mins playthrough of a game or after watching a youtube video, here's your proof.

I played the game for 3 months after launch and when I played there wasn't CC or stealth. I played a ranger to level 64 and never once did I get the ability to stealth. Also played an Elementalist to lvl 22 and didn't get a stealth ability? Sure, thiefs could temporarily stealth for a few seconds but that was the extent of it. And there was no CC whatsoever. So, unless all this changed after I left then I have no idea. If that's the case then I apologize.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by Shrilly

If it emits light it is a magic based skill to reflect as such. The red you are seeing is blood from the melee attacks contact with the skin. Giving it a real sense of damage and immersion. I love bloody attacks.

Btw when it comes to flashy skill animations, you have to check out this pvp video from Wildstar. Iam not taking the responsibility if you get eye cancer lol.

http://www.twitch.tv/bizzycj/b/511341356

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437

Ha ha.. maybe gw2 wasn't a good example.. but you get my point... a lot of games have bright flashes of light for every skill based attack.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Distopia

-

I actually enjoy the way questing works, especially the aspects you're complaining about (all directions and the shared progress). IT's certainly better than the alternative we typically see in MMO's (stuck in one area until you finish those quest lines and move on to the next area). This feels more like a proper RPG in that quests lead you all over the place, it also works nice how in between point a and point b I typically run into many distracting adventures that lead me else where. That's the aspect the makes the game really hard to log out of for me.

Shared questing with those in the area is also nice as there's no need to worry about kill stealing, dealing more dmg for the kill credit etc...

I agree. Even vanilla WoW had you going form one continent to another after level 50, it made the game feel larger. After people started complaining about it, the game gradually got easier and easier. I hope they stay away from the typical quest hubs, this feels more like adventuring.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by spizz

Btw when it comes to flashy skill animations, you have to check out this pvp video from Wildstar. Iam not taking the responsibility if you get eye cancer lol.

http://www.twitch.tv/bizzycj/b/511341356

I am not a fan of over the top flashy animations? i was just saying GW2s wasnt at all. I don't like wildstar either.

• SolarRainSolarRain Member UncommonPosts: 32

I've enjoyed the game so far in the last 2 beta weekends. Unfortunately this weekend I finally got to try the low level dungeons, and just because of that I'm now hovering over the cancel pre-order button. Dungeons in an MMO are a major thing for me, I fell in love with group dungeons ever since classic EQ. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. Although the dungeons have great atmosphere, the fall flat in every other possible way. I can't help compare them to Rift, which was my last MMO, the dungeons in Rift are just light years better than ESO's, especially the boss fights. To top it off, the rewards and exp from dungeons are absolutely awful.

So I don't know what I will do, at the moment I'm leaning towards giving this one a miss.

• BinafusBinafus Member UncommonPosts: 230

Playing in the Betas made me cancel my pre order, not a good game at all.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by skyline385

I played the game for 3 months after launch and when I played there wasn't CC or stealth. I played a ranger to level 64 and never once did I get the ability to stealth. Also played an Elementalist to lvl 22 and didn't get a stealth ability? Sure, thiefs could temporarily stealth for a few seconds but that was the extent of it. And there was no CC whatsoever. So, unless all this changed after I left then I have no idea. If that's the case then I apologize.

By no CC are you referring to just roots or are are you also referring to snares, knockbacks, and knockdowns?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    I do know why. Its dull and broken. In that order.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360
    I never pre-ordered so there is nothing for me to cancel.   I wasn't a huge fan of the single player games so no shock that I'm not a huge fan of this one either.  To each their own.  If you enjoy it great, if not find something else.  I can say this weekend was less buggy than two betas ago.  However, the combat is too clunky and not enough new fun to pull me into this game.