Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online (BETA): The Good The Bad The Ugly

UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

The GOOD:

Gorgeous graphics, sound track, and great voice acting, Elder Scrolls universe is always a good thing, vast world.

The BAD:

The Story line is kind of bland, the game offers nothing new in the MMORPG genre, also even though the game is still in BETA, it is very close to release and most of the quests depending on what region you are in are still bugged or unplayable.

The UGLY:

As will become quickly apparent, whenever you perform a quest, right from the get go is that you are in a dungeon for example, with dozens of other players all running down the pathways and corridors literally...like a bunch of rats in a maze...no need to use your brain, just look to where the mob of fellow players are running to and you will find what you are looking for. Also, other than the same old barrels, crates, boxes etc etc that you can open and retrieve mundane little items like food, herbs etc, the dungeon environments albeit gorgeous are only eye candy, and as you run with the other players like rats thru a maze you miss most of it, and even if you take the time to examine this beauty, you will find its empty and meaningless with no interaction.

Yes...we all know the game is in BETA, but if this weekends BETA which offered us to play as an Imperial was supposed to get us excited to fork over money...well, it doesnt...its a turn off.

CONCLUSION:

There is nothing in this game that we have not seen in other MMOs, most of which are more interesting and F2P, that would warrant forking over subscription money each month or buying any edition other than the Basic/Standard edition.

Frankly, as much as I do not like World of Warcraft and frown upon Neverwinters pay to win model, ESO sadly makes me want to play those other games I do not like...why? Because simply it is just a pretty wrapper around a boring and rather bland, linear, experience.

If you want a good Elder Scrolls universe experience play Skyrim instead....but if you want to see how a typical MMORPG can show the other extreme (poor) on the same universe (Elder Scrolls), then ESO is for you.

Comments

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

literally, these are rats in a maze:

Figuratively, the players doing ESO dungeons are akin to rats in a maze. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by arieste

lol +1

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Quests are always like this on launch or with week-end betas. . everyone wanted to try imperial this time around so they were going through the same dungeons.  I have never known this to be different other than when they are instanced.  This is why I take my time at the beginning so the herd moves past and I can enjoy the game more.

I agree that it doesn't offer much new though.  I am there mostly for the PvP part.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• flobalobflobalob Member Posts: 5

Wow that looks like so much fun and totally worth box price plus sub. From what ive read that picture looks as populated and engaging as ESOs dungeons too...

Where do i sign up...

• hg2012hg2012 Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by UnleadedRev

The UGLY:

As will become quickly apparent, whenever you perform a quest, right from the get go is that you are in a dungeon for example, with dozens of other players all running down the pathways and corridors literally...like a bunch of rats in a maze...no need to use your brain, just look to where the mob of fellow players are running to and you will find what you are looking for. Also, other than the same old barrels, crates, boxes etc etc that you can open and retrieve mundane little items like food, herbs etc, the dungeon environments albeit gorgeous are only eye candy, and as you run with the other players like rats thru a maze you miss most of it, and even if you take the time to examine this beauty, you will find its empty and meaningless with no interaction.

A poll I made on the beta forum pretty much pointed this out, while having other people in larger public dungeons is ok when it's a small quest cellar it does get pretty ridiculous with most mobs having being already cleared and twenty people standing on the boss spawn. Reminds me a lot of the GW2 zergs where most players only need to get a single hit on the champ mob.

What I think needs to be done is all the small cellars and small dungeons need to be private instanced, keep larger ones like crows wood public but quest places need to be private either for solo or group play only. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by mcrippins

lol +1

queueing for the mob spawn no doubt image

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

Yup, exactly what ESO feels like.

• PalaziousPalazious Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by grndzro

Yup, exactly what ESO feels like.

1st mouse:  quest bugged?

2nd mouse: try relogging and find an instance where it works

Palazious <The Vindicators> Darkfall
    Palazious r40, rr45 SW War
    Palazious 50 Pirate PoTBS
    Palazious 35 Sorcerer Vanguard
    Palazious 75 wizard EQ
    Paladori 50 Champion LOTRO
    Poppa Reaver bugged at rank15

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

Yep, and its not like I went in wanting to hate this game, as I love the Elder Scolls series, but felt lonely in a single player game.

This is the other extreme...and without anything new MMO wise within it, I resolved myself to become immersed in the game, the environment, lore, the story...ruins the immersion when you are part of a running herd...and I mean this literally!

It is like someone planned a marathon to run inside a MMO and everyone is all running down the same path and direction!

I hate WoW....yet, this game ESO made me go back and look at WoW, whoch I despise because of how "babyish" WoW looks, and silly Panda's, baby cutsie tootsie pets and stuff...OMG, after ESO, I actually enjoyed WoW for the few hours I played it.

THATS BAD

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I'll have to disagree with the "gorgeous graphics", but guess that's in the eye of the beholder.

IMO both Skyrim and GW2 look better. Other one is ES single player game, other one is MMO, so there's no excuse for either graphics style or game type.

The animations are especially terrible.

It's not an eyesore, but it could be much better and the terrain design is very bland. There are no "oohs" and "aahs" like I had with Skyrim and GW2.

• hannibalektrhannibalektr Member Posts: 57

There were rat's in your instances? All i saw was a map marker telling me there were rats there. Mine were no where to be found. 

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Originally posted by hannibalektr

There were rat's in your instances? All i saw was a map marker telling me there were rats there. Mine were no where to be found. 

LMAO literally choked on my tea.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

It is like someone planned a marathon to run inside a MMO and everyone is all running down the same path and direction!

Rift was like this in its final beta and on release day.

I wonder why we don't hear this as a common complaint against Rift?

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

It's a content locked beta..... Of course there are going to be 100 people doing the same quests at the same time.....

Just wait to buy the game for 3 months until the player numbers in the starting zones have gone down.....

If you want a empty world to explore playing Skyrim... That's why it's there. 

If you want a world where there are actually people to interact with than play an MMO. 

..... I really don't understand people...... *gasp* there are OTHER PLAYERS in my MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER   rpg....

OH THE HUMANITY!

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by FlyinDutchman87

It's a content locked beta..... Of course there are going to be 100 people doing the same quests at the same time.....

Just wait to buy the game for 3 months until the player numbers in the starting zones have gone down.....

If you want a world where there are actually people to interact with than play an MMO. 

..... I really don't understand people...... *gasp* there are OTHER PLAYERS in my MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER   rpg....

OH THE HUMANITY!

Yeah well... in ESO you're actually playing your own single player game with other people running around and interfering with your single player experience. Sadly this seems to be the way MMOs are heading today.

Obviously in Cyrodiil the game really goes MMO, big time.

Originally posted by grndzro
    Originally posted by hannibalektr

LMAO literally choked on my tea.

Sorry you choked on your tea, but I'm glad you got me there :)

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

Rift was like this in its final beta and on release day.

I wonder why we don't hear this as a common complaint against Rift?

Rift? I think I recall a short lived boring ass game named that. 

Originally posted by tom_gore
    Originally posted by FlyinDutchman87

OH THE HUMANITY!

Yeah well... in ESO you're actually playing your own single player game with other people running around and interfering with your single player experience. Sadly this seems to be the way MMOs are heading today.

Obviously in Cyrodiil the game really goes MMO, big time.

Yeah, this is true. I was playing a single player game that allows other people to compound the multi-player bugs while I'm experiencing very annoying single player bugs.

I had my wife and father playing with me. We spent hours and hours trying to re-sync our group into the correct phase only to find when we went in a new cave or ruin that we had to do it all over again. No one could share quests, and no one got credit for boss kills. We'd have to camp the same boss for each one of us. Between sync's of course.

Cyriidel was very fun.. /agree.

• CrazylikeCrazylike Member CommonPosts: 89
    Well put, feel the same way.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Now I wonder if all quest dungeons, world dungeons and other areas were instanced, so you didn't see other players in there doing the same quest, if you wouldn't be complaining that the game was heavily instanced and therefore wasn't an MMO.

It's just too hip at the moment to bash MMOs for being MMOs. There are other people in the game, doing the same stuff as you, it's just how it is. Sure I agree that it takes something away from the experience to see 20 other people running to kill the same boss - but it's beta with everyone restricted to the early zones and lots of people logging in to check out the game.

After a few weeks it won't be like this. I am happy they didn't instance the crap out of it just to fix an issue that will not exist after a short time.