Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Beta Weekend Change Anyone's Mind About the Game?

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by A.Blackloch

it really doesn't require any thinking or tactics to play it. 

tell me one, just one mmorpg that uses this kind of sorcery you speak of. I think ESO combat uses more thinking than everything else out there which are just, wait for telegraph to move, wait for the message on the screen that says the boss is casting XXX attack of doom, or spam attacks everywhere. At least in ESO i was punished for fighting recklessly, every time.

They get other things wrong but this one hits the nail in other mmorpgs coffin when it comes to that. IMO.

EDIT: i talk about PvE. I dont do pvp so idk how pvp feels

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561
    Originally posted by Kinado

_battlegrounds so we can get how action fix for the day.

You can go to Cyrodiil?

_the ability to world pvp while questing with no zone restriction, just random encounters.

You can quest in Cyrodiil.

_random quest events, public events, dynamic events, whatever you want to call them. I've seen a couple of those like NPC's being robbed by other NPC's and asking for help. This is a nice touch but only saw it once in 15 levels.

There's also Dark Fissures.

_Cyrodiil feels empty , there nothing happening in between keeps besides zergs.

It will feel that way if all you do is run between the empty spaces between keeps. But there's dungeons, quest towns and teleport networks. At launch, you'll mostlikely be there max level, guilded with your own guild claimed keep or visiting others. 

_Dark Anchors is such a superficial feature that might aswell scrap it off the game. They can just be ignored thats it, won t hurt anyone, serve no purpose either.

Fighter Guild levels? 

_High End raiding content! Oh yes! Every MMO NEEDS THIS. Don't want to give out raids? Then give players sandbox features and they will make their own content.

This game needs AT LEAST another year in development.

Well, it won't be WoW or Rift. End-game seems to be focused around PvP raids, but PvE content being grouped base. This doesn't mean the game is "early", its just not WoW or Rift. A year more of development won't change design goals.

Don't mistake a game that wasn't meant to become as close to WoW as you'd like as a game that's underbaked. 

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I like the game and have had fun in the beta's, but just spent $100 upgrading two WoW accounts to WoD. Think I'll just wait for f2p or reduced box price. Same for Wildstar.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

my self and my buddy who play it have pretty much written it off. while the rest of his mates have preordered we both generally agree the game is very "simple" in terms of mmos.  i personally am finding it more of a cookie cutter  game now then last beta. the fact both dagger fall and dominion have almost the exact same quests just altered for location/race/faction you fight, kinda bugs me.  both sides have zombies and some evil group trying to kill the royalty.. the plague zombie guys on dominion dont even move unless they spot you, least the dagger fall zombies moved around. as well im still hitting broken quests which is quite annoying (beta is beta sure but they claim to have fixed a vast majority of them.. these arent high level quests either when lv 3-5s are doing them too)

all in all i really do not see the game as value for money :/ its very cut and paste like the last few big named mmos that came out in the last few years.  the price for the key and sub really leaves me wondering if i would even play it longer then a month cause the beta makes me rather bored. 

game is nice with decent VA's though i have found a few npcs that "talk" but have no VA lol but that isnt enough to sway me to dropping a preorder on it and sub. you could basically compaire it to WoW right now for quests.  

while i enjoy getting lost in the world exploring for master chests to open (actually found an impossible chest @_@)  it all feels repeated.  when i reached the 2nd land for the dominion i had to check the map cause i thought i was in the dagger fall area as it looks similar

ill play out the betas but still not sure ill pay for it at this time.  no world/map events to make it feel alive.

• MixoplixMixoplix Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I am very happy with the last 3 betas. I have had a few bugs that have barred play, but I move on. I particularily love how close to the vanilla lore they have kept. I am happy to support this game! It's far in a better state than many of the other games before it. The bugs are beta driven, there are few/if any broken skills and the lore is impeccable. Am I a fanboi? I guess maybe cuz I have played all ES games since Arena, but I also beta tested UO and built maps for NWN. I know OPEN games, I vote to OPEN TESO and will fight to keep it OPEN.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    I'd bought it after the previous two weekends, but seeing the changes to combat vs. npc's has changed my mind about melee feeling floaty.
  • DealdrickDealdrick Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Originally posted by Mixoplix
    I am very happy with the last 3 betas. I have had a few bugs that have barred play, but I move on. I particularily love how close to the vanilla lore they have kept. I am happy to support this game! It's far in a better state than many of the other games before it. The bugs are beta driven, there are few/if any broken skills and the lore is impeccable. Am I a fanboi? I guess maybe cuz I have played all ES games since Arena, but I also beta tested UO and built maps for NWN. I know OPEN games, I vote to OPEN TESO and will fight to keep it OPEN.

If you think the bugs are few you clearly haven't rolled a DC toon this weekend.  The quest bugs are so bad progress is almost impossible.

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Yeah they have seriously dented my hopes for this game.

The first major beta a month ago was more polished and completed than the mess of a build this weekend.

Why do they keep listening to the minority of vocal kids and ruin how the game was supposed to be.

•  

Originally posted by funcon I was all hyped up from the beta two weekends ago and was waiting for this beta to decide if I should pre-order or not. For some reason Im not feeling it this time around. 60 bucks and a sub aint worth it. The animations and control dont feel like an mmo. I guess I am old school and like WoW/Rift/WildStar control/animations more.  I havent tried pvp, so maybe its the pve that sucks?   But I dont see myself playing this game. I dont like how the ui, how you control your character, how the mouse cursor is not free to click on npc's, loot etc. Only 5 abilities to use. That will get stale fast.

This is exactly how it is for me this time around.

Plus I was running around earlier for what seemed like 3 hours or more and then I did a /played and it had only been barely one hour.

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Aside from a couple of bugged quests I love the game and am eagerly awaiting launch.
  • grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

I preordered based on last beta.

I cancelled based on this beta.

The first warning sign was the removal of weapon selections in the starter zone, and the cell bug was still there.

The 2nd was dropping me in the middle of town.

3rd was the quests on rails changes.

4th was the mob XP reduction.

I am seriously thinking about going back to FFXI despite the old graphics. At least you have to work for the things you get.

• SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Originally posted by Kinado

If it wasn't for TESO's game engine which seems to be able to handle A LOT, I'd say this game has SWTOR written all over it.

They are rushing the release, the game feels incomplete. It lacks basic MMO features like:

_previewing an item

_inspecting another player

_requesting a duel

_battlegrounds so we can get how action fix for the day.

_the ability to world pvp while questing with no zone restriction, just random encounters.

_random quest events, public events, dynamic events, whatever you want to call them. I've seen a couple of those like NPC's being robbed by other NPC's and asking for help. This is a nice touch but only saw it once in 15 levels.

_Cyrodiil feels empty , there nothing happening in between keeps besides zergs.

_Dark Anchors is such a superficial feature that might aswell scrap it off the game. They can just be ignored thats it, won t hurt anyone, serve no purpose either.

_High End raiding content! Oh yes! Every MMO NEEDS THIS. Don't want to give out raids? Then give players sandbox features and they will make their own content.

This game needs AT LEAST another year in development.

I mean, I tried this game and my criticism just kept building up and up. Lots of potential, a complete lack of execution.

When I tried Wildstar, even though i m not a fan of the cartoonish look of it, I felt satisfied playing it. It was fun, its a MMO that learned from the mistakes of other MMO's in the past and shows it. The only issue I had with it was its lack of optimization.

With ESO it really feels like SWTOR all over again which sucks because I wanted these 2 to be great games, unfortunately they're not.

ESO has some very nice touches though. Crafting, PVE and PVP geared are not separated, graphics are gorgeous, you can block attacks (that's awesome), grouping tools, a LOT about this game shows great promise, great potential. From my MMO experience, if it isn't there don t get your hopes high.

Yeah, its pretty obvious that ESO is not your type of game. You pretty much want WoW in a different setting. Have fun with Wildstar, I know there are plenty who will.

As far as your Cyrodiil comment goes, I found plenty of small group pvp in my last 2 days of being out there. It isn't just all about zergs. My guess is, you went out there once, got steamrolled and came to the conclusion that its nothing but a zeg fest.

• 5ubzer05ubzer0 Member UncommonPosts: 72

If I wasn't so desperate for a game, I'd probably cancel my preorder as well. Solely because it really is not ready for launch and I don't like supporting unfinished games. But I do like the combat, the quests (that are not bugged), the graphics - it's such a beautiful world.

Here's to hope that they get their act together before the first month is up. ESO needs a lot of work and polish to be worth a monthly subscription.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by grndzro
    I am seriously thinking about going back to FFXI despite the old graphics. At least you have to work for the things you get.

Funny, I was planning to do the exact same thing (especially after learning about the changes to make solo-play easier.) For the last so many months, I was holding out hopes that ESO would be my new go-to mmorpg (after years without really playing much) but... I don't know. I've played in the last three (or 4?) beta tests and I've just become more increasingly bored with the game each time I play. It's hard to even put your finger on it. I mean, I don't want to knock the game as it does quite a few interesting things and it seems fairly well done (aside from the bugs of course), but like others have said, it just feels like more of the same. And the combat -- what I had hoped to be a saving grace in the genre itself -- may as well be a traditional tab-targeting system, since that's essentially what it is anyway.

So yeah, I don't think I'll be buying it, at least not at launch. I'm going to keep an eye on it though and see how things turn out but at this point, I'm just not feeling it. I have no doubt the game will have a nice following though so for those enjoying the it, I wish you the best.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Elikal

The main problem, IMVPO, comes down to this.

You get a quest, some guy talks to you for what feels like 10 minutes, you walk 10 minutes and kill one dude. Teh end.

This is exxagerrated, yes, ...

...no it is not.

It is spot on. Questing in ESO is all about story. Some people love that and they will have found their game. ESO is AMAZING if you are a solo player and / or story lover. Really amazing. And i am happy for you guys.

I, sadly, don't care for story in a MMO. I want to team up, not being bothered by phasing and quests in general. ESO really forces the story on you. You have very few options to avoid questing and that makes it feel silly. I want to USE my toon, USE my skills...SEE my char fight and not talk to boring NPCs, run around a dead world and collect a scroll before i run back for 10 minutes.

Again, don't get me wrong. Some people like this and i am not saying that a game has to fit my needs to be good. Not at all. ESO will be great! For someone else but me at least.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

I was on the fence about this game, and I decided to try it one more time. Will definitely not be purchasing this game. The combat/animation is simply clunky and awful and I cannot abide it. It is one of the worst I've ever seen in an MMO, let alone a AAA title.

I'm not here to bash this game, this is my opinion and I wish the best of luck to those who will be playing. However I will admit a small part of me would be glad to see it fail because I think it's insulting that they have the audacity to ask for box price and sub for such an unpolished and unfinished product.

This games needs a lot more time in development.

O_o o_O

• RattsRatts Member Posts: 48

First time ever I've canceled a pre-order . . . I don't hate the game, it's actually made me re-interested in TES and I've been in SKyrim almost every night because of ESO.  What it comes down to though is that while I enjoy the story driven quest design, the gameplay itself just feels too off.  That and the quest bugs pretty much have me saying this one needs to wait for a Steam sale or something

• KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198
    Originally posted by Setzer

Yeah, its pretty obvious that ESO is not your type of game. You pretty much want WoW in a different setting. Have fun with Wildstar, I know there are plenty who will.

As far as you Cyrodiil comment goes. I found plenty of small group pvp in my last 2 days of being out there. It isn't just all about zergs. My guess is, you went out there once, got steamrolled and came to the conclusion that its nothing but a zeg fest.

You're deductive skills are amazing, and you know all of this about me just from reading my post!

Sorry. Wrong and wrong. You're sounding like a fanboy instead of just lookin at the game for what it is. I tried Cyrodiil with big groups, small groups, coordinated groups, clueless groups, solo, scouting , sieging, repairing, steamrolling, getting steamrolled, defending and attacking, you name it. I don't need to be winning to like a game, the more challenging it is the better I like it.

I didn't like how it empty it felt, I m not talking about players because those are many. I m talking about the world feeling alive, stuff happening that you can join in besides the alliance war going on. Compared to the rest of Tamriel where pvp is not allowed, Cyrodiil felt empty and with little stuff to do in it. I m hoping they open up the Imperial City for some sort of epicness.

Another thing I didn't like was how easy you kill and get killed by just one person in a game that promotes massive scale pvp. Maybe its because we're all low level but I doubt it. Going down that fast even takes the joy away of killing someone in pvp, you press 3 abilities and that's it they're down.Sure you can block but most of the time the first attack people are not expecting it, usually is when I stun them. After that it's a miracle if someone doesn't go finish them up.

I love pvp but the game requires little skill if you are playing alone. You either catch people off guard, kill one and get killed by the others right afterwards with no chance of getting away (unless you're a nightblade), or you need a group. My advice is to get a dedicated healer as a best friend helping you in Cyrodiil or else you ll be walking a lot.

Making the fights last longer giving players more resilience and evasion abilities would be a big plus, I m hoping that high level pvp is more interesting than what I've experienced so far. The game needs to play epic instead of just looking epic with so many people fighting each other.

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

My opinion about the game has steadily changed from optimism to disgust over the last year or so.

There have been several alarm bells about their intentions with this game, each one made me less likely to buy the game, and in the end they added up to a sufficient amount that i'll simply not buy this.

Essentially, this is where they fucked up:

- dumbed down archery, and archery with no ammo requirement. Arrows work just fine in an MMO, stop doing this stupid bullshit.

- the shift from 'you can only master one crafting profession' to 'everyone can do everything, because that is what the players want!' ugh.... no

- nick konkle should chill the fuck out, he is always blabbering incoherently in videos, like some corporate suit is breathing down his neck and he is worried about his job.

- cash shop that sells horses. yeah, no thanks. A cash shop also tells about their future plans with this game - F2P conversion within the first year. Milk the suckers with box+sub+cs as much as possible, then go f2p life support and lay off 90% of the dev team.

- Watered down MMO map design. Unrealistic placement of objects, sparse trees, monster 'pits', places where a bunch of mobs of the same type just chill, and wait to be killed by the players.

- the ability to explore all 3 faction areas with 1 character, which is like saying 'we couldn't be bothered to make more than 7 zones per faction, so we will break the lore completely, because I don't know, fuck it!'

- Imperial edition and the ability to use any race in any faction.

- I probably forgot something because I just woke up and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

There's something I like to do in reverse, read this forum, then go play a game. IF I play first I usually take notice of glaring issues, if I read here first, the issues I find typically seem miniscule compared to what I was expecting:). Especially in regard to cyrodil performance issues (lag), which I saw first hand for the first time tonight. Didn't have much issue at all on my end with lag, I was even warned by the person I was grouping with while I dinged 10 before heading to cyrodil.

While there are certainly many issues that need addressing, some aren't as widespread as some are presenting.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

Wouldn't building these AAA MMOs be down to a science by now? There are qualities and features of the Elder Scrolls series that are jaw-dropping. There are qualities and features of MMOs that are also amazing. But after playing two beta weekends it feels like an MMO with average features was merged with watered down average features from the Elder Scrolls.

If it was a game that had average MMO features but went all out on the Elder Scrolls features I would have played the hell out of it. If it was a game that had average watered-down Elder Scrolls features but went all out on the MMO AAA features I would have played the hell out of it. But *both* sides, the MMO features and the Elder Scrolls features, are just "meh".

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Normike

Wouldn't building these AAA MMOs be down to a science by now? There are qualities and features of the Elder Scrolls series that are jaw-dropping. There are qualities and features of MMOs that are also amazing. But after playing two beta weekends it feels like an MMO with average features was merged with watered down average features from the Elder Scrolls.

If it was a game that had average MMO features but went all out on the Elder Scrolls features I would have played the hell out of it. If it was a game that had average watered-down Elder Scrolls features but went all out on the MMO AAA features I would have played the hell out of it. But *both* sides, the MMO features and the Elder Scrolls features, are just "meh".

Wouldn't building these AAA MMOs be down to a science by now?

That would imply every MMO is built in the same exact manner using the same practices and ideas, they're not.

---------------------

Personally I feel they are one of the few recently to actually worry about the finer details in this sub-genre, while the game does have many issues to over come. What they've built underneath those issues, feels fairly unique to me thus far, I've got to have at least 30-40 hours clocked in game by now, after 3 beta weekends. Once I pick it up I have a hard time putting it down, because it really feels like a proper RPG to me in almost every way.  It doesn't feel like a skinner box like many often feel, I don't feel I'm being asked to hit a button over and over simply because I get a prize. That's rare today, especially when talking about a themepark experience.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• darkheart84darkheart84 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Yeah what is it about this beta? I too felt it was incredibly boring now. This is odd considering I was enjoying it the last two betas. I am not sure what changed. Feels dull.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Not at all. Though I'm no stranger to loving MMOs everyone else seems to hate (see: SWTOR). Oh well!