Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVP or: these boots are meant for walking :/

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Ok I enjoy most of the PVE stuff now patched as it is, with some issues here and there. But PVP... I just don't get into it. I did PVP (WvW) in GW2 for a LONG time. But here. Even though I have a horse, I feel like I spent 2/3rd of my time in WvW zone riding or walking.

Then I ride, seeking the battle, riding 10 minutes, only to be killed by 3-4 people hiding on the road. *shrug* That's just really unfun. I want to PVP to fight, not to walk!

At least in my book the PVP zone is simply WAAAY too big. -__-

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I can see the size of their PVP map being issue.  It will probably improve after the first few weeks of the game's launch after the population starts to migrate there.  However, if the pop starts to dip TOO much (which I suspect it will after a couple of months) then it will start to turn back again into what you are describing.  This in turn will just snowball and perpetuate the effect even more as people continue to get fed up with that design choice of the devs.  Yes, this is just my armchair predictions.  Hopefully, for the players that are spending money on this game, I'm wrong.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• doc_claytchdoc_claytch Member Posts: 29

Time to adapt and apply some strategy. Time to not just jump on your horse and expect to ride un-scathed 100% to the battle X on your map.

When you start playing smarter, you will starting winning more and crying less.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Elikal

Ok I enjoy most of the PVE stuff now patched as it is, with some issues here and there. But PVP... I just don't get into it. I did PVP (WvW) in GW2 for a LONG time. But here. Even though I have a horse, I feel like I spent 2/3rd of my time in WvW zone riding or walking.

Then I ride, seeking the battle, riding 10 minutes, only to be killed by 3-4 people hiding on the road. *shrug* That's just really unfun. I want to PVP to fight, not to walk!

Totally don't agree...I think the entire map should be open via a pvp server.  The zone isn't that big at all...once everyone is playing, you'll probably find that there will be so many people that you can't do anything.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Follow the zerg herd or die if you solo, just like in GW2 WvW.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

It's not so much the size of the map. It's the way it's set up for actual play. A few fast travel nodes that could be faction controlled could do wonders to get you into the action for example. Under water and even aerial combat options could shake things up. Times I think castle sieges are just fights over guild hall space and a merchant stall. :)

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Originally posted by xpiher

actually if you go out and explore the pvp is nothing like that. sure there is a zerg but there is also other things to do.

Originally posted by muffins89

actually if you go out and explore the pvp is nothing like that. sure there is a zerg but there is also other things to do.

If you go out and explore... which is only worth doing once....

Just remember, I'll be here saying "I told you so" when the majority start RvR

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

a) moving back to main battles, don't  follow the one direct path or get ambushed

b) if you are already in enemy teritory, start using your brain, dismount and sneak

c) get some friends hang together, get ressed, get protected, etc

d) get a guild support, have set up forward camps at which you respawn nearby keep battles

e) I think I made my point

or like you're doing

e) start complaining you need insta teleport back into battle and force devs to make more themepark features

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Don't mean to be a prick, but there are plenty of instanced BG MMOs you can play.

There is no other way of doing a RvR map without severely contributing to zerg mechanics.  Love it or hate it, that's the way it is.

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Big is good. A MMORPG world cannot be "TOO big". This is one of the things that will eventually attract me to this title, a month or two after launch if everything else works out.
  • SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

You're wrong.  The PvP zone is not "way too big", it's not big enough.  A large map makes small group activity possible.  The smaller the map you make it, the more it feels like you're packed in like sardines.  Do people who want variety in PvP and yet complain about large maps seriously need to get hit upside the head with a clue bat?  A big reason why GW2 PvP fails (aside from the no death penalty) is because the maps are so tiny.  Which makes it unplayable for anything other than THE zerg on the map since there's not too many places to hide or mount guerrilla type tactics from.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Cyrodiil is big. But not really that big. You can port between any castle of your faction unless it is under attack. Which more or less reduces the actual size of Cyrodiil to the distance between two keeps. Roughly a 3 minute ride.

There are plenty of MMOs which offer instant and/or instanced PvP. No reason to morph Cyrodiil into the same, or ? Let's have some options. ;)

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    How can they fix the fact that you aren't good at PvP and play solo? Really seems like the problem is on your end.
    Originally posted by Satarious

You're wrong.  The PvP zone is not "way too big", it's not big enough.  A large map makes small group activity possible.  The smaller the map you make it, the more it feels like you're packed in like sardines.  Do people who who want variety in PvP and yet complain about large maps seriously need to get hit upside the head with a clue bat?  A big reason why GW2 PvP fails (aside from the no death penalty) is because the maps are so tiny.  Which makes it unplayable for anything other than THE zerg on the map since there's not too many places to hide or mount guerrilla type tactics.

This is simply untrue. More people played WvW before the kinks were worked out than they do now and small group tactics back then were king. What happened with GW2 will happen in ESO as well, that is the big alliances that use corrdination to dominate the scene will break up, either because the players complain so much that they feel forced to, or lack of competition and boredom. What caused GW2 to become nothing but blob v blob was player mentality and the same thing will happen in ESO and the main reason being that it takes hard work and dedication to be skillful outside the blob and the blob allows solo players to feel part of an army without putting in that work. 

I say this due to my experience in the Titan Alliance in GW2. Mark my words, the same thing will happen in ESO.

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Yea!!!!

Especially if you can't press the control button.

This is simply untrue. More people played WvW before the kinks were worked out than they do now and small group tactics back then were king. What happened with GW2 will happen in ESO as well, that is the big alliances that use corrdination to dominate the scene will break up, either because the players complain so much that they feel forced to, or lack of competition and boredom. What caused GW2 to become nothing but blob v blob was player mentality and the same thing will happen in ESO and the main reason being that it takes hard work and dedication to be skillful outside the blob and the blob allows solo players to feel part of an army without putting in that work. 

I say this due to my experience in the Titan Alliance in GW2. Mark my words, the same thing will happen in ESO.

You lack context, my friend.  If you ever played daoc (which ESO is more similar to, not GW2 like I see many wrongly comparing it to), you'd realize that bigger maps give you more variety in pvp and breathing room for large scale strategic decisions.  This all comes down to common sense, people:  The smaller the map, the less options you have and the more you funnel people down one path to victory.

Everything is made up of molecules.  So the principle of small vs. large pvp maps is pretty similar to a SOLID vs LIQUID.  A solid is basically a bunch of molecules packed closely together in a small space, whereas a liquid has molecules spread out and has more flexibility to flow in all different directions.  A small pvp map is very static and rigid with no divergent activity, never changing.  Whereas a large map is flexible and free flowing with molecules (players?) flowing in all sorts of directions.

You lack context, my friend.  If you ever played daoc (which ESO is more similar to, not GW2 like I see many wrongly comparing it to), you'd realize that bigger maps give you more variety in pvp and breathing room for large scale strategic decisions.  This all comes down to common sense, people:  The smaller the map, the less options you have and the more you funnel people down one path to victory.

Everything is made up of molecules.  So the principle of small vs. large pvp maps is pretty similar to a SOLID vs LIQUID.  A solid is basically a bunch of molecules packed closely together in a small space, whereas a liquid has molecules spread out and has more flexibility to flow in all different directions.  A small pvp map is very static and rigid with no divergent activity, never changing.  Whereas a large map is flexible and free flowing with molecules (players?) flowing in all sorts of directions.

I played DAoC. What you are failing to acknowledge is that player mentality is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. The reason I used GW2 was to prove that blob vs blob isn't only influenced by the map size. Yes, GW2 is small in comparison compared to ESO; however, guerrilla tactics and dedicated small groups often did change the out come of the battle completely by penetrating deep into enemy territory. This all STOPPED once the people who actually cared about that style of play quit. Also, unlike DAOC, only a tiny portion of the game is focused on RvR and RvR has very little impact on the general population's ability to enjoy the game. There will be no "forced" entry in to the RvR area to get the best gear/weapons because that would put a dent into their paying player numbers (sub or not), giving even less reason for people who are bored or don't want to get involved to stay engaged. 

Trust me, ESO won't turn out any differently because the game isn't designed to make people care about it.

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by doc_claytch

Time to adapt and apply some strategy. Time to not just jump on your horse and expect to ride un-scathed 100% to the battle X on your map.

Every time a new game launches there are always same posts.

Time to forget this, to improve that, to be smarter, to not slack, to move, to heal, to avoid, to cc etc etc etc

AND every time the end is always the same. There is time for nothing new. Thats the truth and we have seen it many many times the last years.

So don't get excited. We have seen this movie again and again...

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

Well, put up a forward spawn tent and defend it near the front lines.

I could be playing the beta right now but it is all just the same song and dance in the end so I uninstalled it.

I am looking for fresh and new options in the genre and refuse to buy the same car just with a new coat of paint on it.

but like I said put up a forward spawn tent and profit...

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    A tip. ¨Dont ride alone in a war  zone¨.  And seriously, we are complaning because the map is too big?
    Originally posted by Aroukos
    Originally posted by doc_claytch

Every time a new game launches there are always same posts.

Time to forget this, to improve that, to be smarter, to not slack, to move, to heal, to avoid, to cc etc etc etc

AND every time the end is always the same. There is time for nothing new. Thats the truth and we have seen it many many times the last years.

So don't get excited. We have seen this movie again and again...

Well, those "same posts" are in response to the same ignorant complaints.  I think the advice by doc_claytch (even though it should be common sense) is perfectly valid.  Running and riding around in the open solo, like a girl skipping through a field of daisies, is the very definition of FRESH MEAT when it comes to RvR.  You'd think even people who are new to the concept of RvR would have the common sense to know this.  Go figure.

• Redhawk2006Redhawk2006 Member Posts: 105

I see your post really brought out the immature trolls.

I agree the map is way too big. One of the things that was frustrating about GW2 WvW was all the endless running you had to do to find a fight somewhere. Fast travel options did help somewhat but even there, it was 90 percent running, and less than 10 percent gunning. I don't see how a bigger map than the one in GW2 is going to make that problem any better. Spending 10 minutes to get to a fight that is over in 10 seconds is not fun. Having to use consumables to rez people in RvR is just plain stupid.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Redhawk2006

I see your post really brought out the immature trolls.

I agree the map is way too big. One of the things that was frustrating about GW2 WvW was all the endless running you had to do to find a fight somewhere. Fast travel options did help somewhat but even there, it was 90 percent running, and less than 10 percent gunning. I don't see how a bigger map than the one in GW2 is going to make that problem any better. Spending 10 minutes to get to a fight that is over in 10 seconds is not fun. Having to use consumables to rez people in RvR is just plain stupid.

Indeed.

You see, MMOs of the stone age era had "waiting" as part of the game. In EQ1 you had to sit and wait to have the mana regen. In EQ2 you had to sit and wait for boss respawn. In SWG the shuttle came every 15 minutes. Asf. But one day, the devs realized and that waiting and doing nothing was not really fun or entertaining, and people played games to DO something, not to do NOTHING. *gasp*

Yeah, unbelieveable, eh?

But there are still the handful of people, socialized in the MMO stone age, and they still can't believe that "getting fun right away" can be good. It's like people believed driving faster then 20 miles per hour would blow out your brain, when the first railway was built. Some people always fight against progress for the sake of. ESO tried to rewind the clock of time. No auction house. Vast nothings to ride through. It's just this: return of pre-modern game ideas for the mere sake of doing it.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by Saxx0n

Well, put up a forward spawn tent and defend it near the front lines.

I could be playing the beta right now but it is all just the same song and dance in the end so I uninstalled it.

I am looking for fresh and new options in the genre and refuse to buy the same car just with a new coat of paint on it.

but like I said put up a forward spawn tent and profit...

So what you are saying is that you will be playing forum PvP until you die. Because there isn't anything fresh and new. It all boils down to the same car with a new coat of paint.

This isn't a BG type of PvP OP. You have to adjust your play style of just expect more of the same. Being ambushed is part of good defense from your enemy. Don't let reinforcements make it back to the fight. So sneak or die when trying to get back to the front lines.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Indeed.

You see, MMOs of the stone age era had "waiting" as part of the game. In EQ1 you had to sit and wait to have the mana regen. In EQ2 you had to sit and wait for boss respawn. In SWG the shuttle came every 15 minutes. Asf. But one day, the devs realized and that waiting and doing nothing was not really fun or entertaining, and people played games to DO something, not to do NOTHING. *gasp*

Yeah, unbelieveable, eh?

But there are still the handful of people, socialized in the MMO stone age, and they still can't believe that "getting fun right away" can be good. It's like people believed driving faster then 20 miles per hour would blow out your brain, when the first railway was built. Some people always fight against progress for the sake of. ESO tried to rewind the clock of time. No auction house. Vast nothings to ride through. It's just this: return of pre-modern game ideas for the mere sake of doing it.

Maybe if you actually DO the things that were advised instead of doing nothing but mindlessly ride back, you would get to solve your problem? *gasp*