Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Played all day, first Beta ...

i have played one char to 12 and one to 7 ... there is a very decent game in here behind the obvious clunkyness, potentially pretty or very good, but i do wonder if the incredibly boring starting areas/early game will kill interest ... it does very little to nothing to grab you ...

Comments

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I believe they made the starting islands optional, now.  I honestly didn't mind them at all, but I will agree that they didn't really grab you all that much.  They could have spiced up the excitement a little, but I still enjoyed it.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• rain.birdrain.bird Member Posts: 16

going to be interesting to see how it goes after launch ... will log back in tomorrow and roll a third, however my interest level is low - it's a boring game, that's just my opinion ... i wonder how long it will take until the next Elder Scrolls title ...

• AbardomasAbardomas Member Posts: 159

Yes, starting Islands are optional now

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

disagree with your opinion, it's not boring for me and actually quite good if you skip the newby islands.

ya that's cool ... it will be interesting to see how it does ...
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

unfortunately like most mmo's it doesn't start getting not so boring until level 10 or so. I've pre-purchased already but don't know if I will sub after my fist month yet. it hasn't hooked me enough. hopefully it will as it seems to have potential.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

It is a decent game but I'd quite likely buy it if I hadn't already played my fill of GW2...which, essentially is the same game.

We didn't get "Skyrim Online" but we did get fairly decent "Guild Wars 2.5"

very  well stated ... i've now pushed a char to 14 just about 15, into the alleged non-boring content - its better, and not hooking me in ... but that's ok ... i cant tell if its a lack of polish (way too much clunky aspects at this time) or if something is missing - but no matter ...

have not pre-ordered, still on fence, going to roll a new toon tomorrow ...

and ya, its a decent game and possibly much more with a lot of polish ...

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    I'm sure not many feel the way I do, but I actually don't like these changes very much. I don't like the fact that they took the weapon choices out of the initial tutorial area. I also enjoyed the starting islands. I know I can go back to them, but I believe there was a place for them. A type of introduction to the game to show people what they can expect in the bigger world. I think it would have been better to give players the option to skip the starting area, rather than having them go back to it. Either way it's not a *big* deal, but it felt strange.
  • DeathFromAboveDeathFromAbove Member UncommonPosts: 112
    This would be my 3rd beta. l didn't play much today, but l will play a little more this weekend. Don't want to play much since the game is coming out soon. 
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Originally posted by kishe
    It is a decent game but I'd quite likely buy it if I hadn't already played my fill of GW2...which, essentially is the same game. We didn't get "Skyrim Online" but we did get fairly decent "Guild Wars 2.5"  

it nothing like gw2. some of the concepts are the same. weapon swap, limited hotbar, AvA, but really the games are nothing alike. even the similarities I listed are pretty different.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by kishe

It is a decent game but I'd quite likely buy it if I hadn't already played my fill of GW2...which, essentially is the same game.

what is this i don't even...

It's been called many things by people ignorant of the game but this is going way too far.  I can handle morons calling it a clone because, well, I know it's not.. A MMORPG is coming out that's NOT a clone..  Good on them.

But comparing it to that zerg-o-rama polished turd with an identity crisis?  Too far. 

I think I just got trolled..

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    The game plays differently than GW2, but not differently enough to say its not an improved  version. Both games focused on story, install the action mode on GW2 and it plays exactly like ESO from a combat perspective, and once the gate PQs go live it'll have that element in it as well. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Abardomas

Yes, starting Islands are optional now

Thank the gods for that.  They were more of an enjoyment-killer than something fun and entertaining to grab the punters.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

This beta got me interested to try the game when it launches.

The progression system is suprisingly fun (although I'm sad about the class limitation) and the combat is a mix of action and tactical decisions.

Too bad D3 RoS and ESO are launched back to back probably missing the launch of ESO :j

• LqeaerLqeaer Member Posts: 3

I think I just got trolled.. 

maybe

Wow mmorpg 2014 here.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by xpiher
    The game plays differently than GW2, but not differently enough to say its not an improved  version. Both games focused on story, install the action mode on GW2 and it plays exactly like ESO from a combat perspective, and once the gate PQs go live it'll have that element in it as well. 

Lets not pretend that GW2s half assed "dynamic questing" and pre-tween storyline and dialogue is anywhere in the same league as ESOs questing, storyline, or voiceover presentation.

If your the type that just clicks through shit and doesn't give a damn, then sure it's the same... but that's not being fair to ESO.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by rain.bird

i have played one char to 12 and one to 7 ... there is a very decent game in here behind the obvious clunkyness, potentially pretty or very good, but i do wonder if the incredibly boring starting areas/early game will kill interest ... it does very little to nothing to grab you ... 

If you just played in this beta you have to actively go back to the starting islands, if you don't, you're at the first big zone for your alliance.
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Draemos
    Originally posted by xpiher

Lets not pretend that GW2s half assed "dynamic questing" and pre-tween storyline and dialogue is anywhere in the same league as ESOs questing, storyline, or voiceover presentation.

If your the type that just clicks through shit and doesn't give a damn, then sure it's the same... but that's not being fair to ESO.

At its basic core, its the same thing. The only difference is quality, which I already stated was an improvement. But many people who were hoping for a TES mmo weren't looking for a themepark game. 

BTW, dynamic questing isn't what I was talking about. I was talking about story driven content, which is what ESO is all about. Even the dungeons are designed for 5 man teams. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher