Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: To Pre-Order or Not?

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Papaprika
    No, the less cash thrown at it, the faster it will get things done and the faster it will get to F2P, where it belongs. I was in CB. Nothing in there is worth your sub they are offering. But, knowing the 12 year olds with credit cards here...You are the people that keep EA alive, the company given the worst company title of 2013. Good job. 

Calling people who invest in games they enjoy childish, while throwing a tantrum about $15 a month. Ironic.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

If ffxiv wasn't around, I would probably have preordered this. A themepark launching with a robust player housing system. I hope this is a sign of future themepark Mmo design.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Six months ago I thought this game would be a shallow WoW clone with nothing new to offer, and that ESO would be a deep, meaningful, immersive experience with amazing quest dialogue and a fantastic world to explore.

After playing both quite a bit I realise I was wrong on pretty much all counts.

This game is a lot better than it appears on the surface or with a quick play.  At its core, its a great game and they can easily improve the things that are lacking.  ESO is pretty much unfixable to me.  Static and lifeless world, boring quests, bad voice overs, shallow and poorly animated combat. 

Despite being cartoony, Wildstar's world felt more like an actual world. Which is surprising given the IP that ESO had to work with.

Either game was only ever going to be a stop gap for me until a meaty sandbox came out (EQN or Pathfinder... fingers crossed). But boy was I surprised at how wrong my first impressions of each game were.  Wildstar is definitely where I will be killing my time.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

i am not gonna play it, but compared to ESO and the lack of Destiny on PC, its almost the only choice if you wanna play a new MMO...

i am not gonna play it cause i play already GW2 and ok enough theme parks... also their visual approach doesnt fits to my taste, although i admire their focus to make a comic game not only on graphics but in all aspects, thats good for them and those who like such style of games : )

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    I played some beta weekends and some of my friends really love it so it's a no brainer that I'd get the preorder for the perks. I doubt I'll sub anytime soon though.
  • MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by DeathWolf2u
    ...will wait for cooler games to release like Dying Light, Destiny and a slew of other titles thank you very much that are not mmo's.

Very curious... you do know you're on an MMO site, right? 

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I still don't know.  I mean, I watched some footage today and the combat does look somewhat entertaining.  Nothing requiring a lot of thought but I might be wrong.  I just saw massive number clouds, but the fact that you have to use a bit of positioning and even heal-spamming might not carry you through, well that seems like good news to me.  I will say again that a major selling point for me is the graphic style, but until I play a free trial and get a taste of the combat, I'm still on the fence.  If this had been a "realistic" sci-fi game with the same type of combat, it wouldn't interest me as much.  Since I'm thinking about cancelling my WoW sub at least until WoD, only one game can fill the spot.

• VirrukVirruk Member UncommonPosts: 8

Definitely pre-ordering. I have been so pissed at them for not doing another beta weekend this weekend when I have free time. I haven't been hooked on an MMO for...sh!t maybe 5 years since WoW and then trying tons in between. And UO before WoW.

WildStar seems like not a "great" leap forward, but a solid step in the right direction. Very fun, funny, addicting, welcome additions (double jump, anyone?). I think the combat system is far from gimmicky, rather extremely entertaining. The PvP was very fun for my buddy and I - loved the CTF gametype with being able to steal back "flags".

If you haven't tried it I highly highly recommend it. I truly wish the best of luck for their success - I will be a part contributing to it.

• VirrukVirruk Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by FoxBoogs
    ...will wait for cooler games to release like Dying Light, Destiny and a slew of other titles thank you very much that are not mmo's.

Haha this was awesome.

• KillerwoodyKillerwoody Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Meh WS is ok but not going to be the best game ever. Played beta a lot and all classes. I don't see it being worth $15 a month to play. ESO kinda sucks too.
  • SybsidianSybsidian Member Posts: 10
    Ffs people complain so much about sub cost. But I bet more then half of them spend ten times that in cancer farms for their lungs or beer. 15$ a month ishalf the cost I spend at the movies a week. I get way more enjoyment from a good mmo.
  • Cliff1963Cliff1963 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Can't judge the game since I haven't played the beta, but the comic style graphics don't appeal to me, too much WOW-styled, which I left with no plans of returning. Loved the ESO beta's and their graphics and playing style, so gonna spend my time with ESO.
  • Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163
    You are aware right, that the release date being "your summer" means absolutely nothing. For some people it may be summer when the games released, but for others, it is winter... And it is released globally, so ya. Completely dismissible point.
  • OridiOridi Member UncommonPosts: 26

I'm on the fence as far as pre-ordering.  I beta'd WS and found the following:

image--The combat is interesting as it's all telegraph based.  No targeting, just jumping out of telegraphs and holding still long enough for your telegraphs to hit.  Lots of caveats regarding what skills are mobile, which ones are static, what builds are needed for a skill to work etc.  The actual experience of playing with the telegraphs can be amazingly dynamic and/or incredibly frustrating.  Dealing with 3 mobs that flank you all with their own telegraph that you can't jump out of because you're stunned or knocked down can be crazy making.  The balance is off imo with the telegraphs and with the beta shifted from 24/6 to a mere 4 weekends I'm not sure that the balance can be created in time for launch.

--The culture of the game is very specific.  WS is designed for elite players.  Casuals and imagesquishycores will have a tough time leveling and there's a lot of "lrn 2 plai!" attitude.  The entire campaign for WS has focused on player skill being the focus for enjoying the game and the game itself delivers.  I found the lack of ingame info on the build specifics and relationships between skills and specs made the process of determining what the best build for my class was pretty tough.  Other players had no issue though and for hardcore players there's probably a lot of satisfaction in the game focus.

--Crafting is incomplete as far as the path and structure right now.  The ideas are pretty basic and there was not a lot of excitement for crafting.

--Housing is ok.  For those who have done housing in SWG or EQII then you'll be meh about WS housing.  For those coming from LOTRO or housing for the first time, it will be fine.

image--The balance of the game is off.  Leveling is speedy then slow then speedy then slow - one set of mobs can 3shot you on level while another set can go down with some skill on your part.   I'm concerned that with the sudden end of Winter beta the balance will not be found in the game.

On the good news side I don't have to decide right this second about pre-ordering.  As a serious squishycore player I'm not sure that WS is the right game for me at all.  I'll keep on with the weekend betas but I'm not sure it's a game I'll buy.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by FoxBoogs

Very curious...you do know this site does editorials of Single Player RPGs like South Park: Stick of Truth, right?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416

I dunno if Imma buy wildstar, to me its just Tera with clunkier combat and horribly shitty character designs. I'd rather just play Tera its free. and the combat is alot better. Honestly it was the horribly bad character designs that really put the nail in the coffin for me, all the girls look like big breasted anorexic bimbo's, and the guys just look stupid period. If the females at least had a waist slider so I could fix them looking anorexic I'd probally buy it. But since they have no real plans to put in body sliders (That I know of, and after release doesn't count) I'll most likely skip it for other mmorpg's. I also have alot of friends who are skipping wildstar solely because of the char designs and how horribad they are. Why they went with this style is beyond me, expecally considering the massive negative feedback its gotten.

I do suspect its a fun game though once you get bad the horribly bad character designs. I liked the humor and stuff I have seen, but the char designs just really pushed me away from the game. Its a shame too, alot of people are pushed away from trying what could be one of the better mmorpgs in years due to the bad character design choices the devs made.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    Yeah, I'll be passing on this one without blinking. That mighty mouse pic pretty much sealed it for me.
  • cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    eqn and eq landmark are NOT the same game people

so say we all

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by loopback1199
    Yeah, I'll be passing on this one without blinking. That mighty mouse pic pretty much sealed it for me.

Perfect way to lose all credibility. Of an otherwise fine opinion post.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79

Preordering, I played beta, liked the mechanics, will attempt to raid hardcore in it. Only other game I have preordered is Dark Souls 2. I have a job and I can play every game I want and pay hundreds of euros into it so trying a game is not an issue for me. I feel that they will nerf the game hard later on, but no idea about that yet, since at some points the dungeons etc were made too easy, average, hard, no idea what they will stick with but I expect the 40man raids to be really difficult, but I am worried about the small amount of dungeons, it had only like 5 dungeons during leveling and leveling was quite slow, something like WoW in vanilla/tbc.

WoW lost its appeal to me already after TBC, even tho I even played Wotlk and MoP. I wish there was an mmorpg with similar mechanics to Path of Exile (economy, difficulty, hardcore, rng), but that will not be coming soon, so whatever. I didn't like ESO and its endgame, so I won't bother with it, EQN looks like its going to be a casual game (tho so is wildstar, but its themepark, also I'd like to note that most of the apes, reading from comments, seem to confuse EQN with EQNL, EQN is years away from release). I want games that I can play for months straight, not for two weeks. WoD has nothing in it for me unless I would join a top10 world progression guild, WildStar at least is a completely new game.

Only other mmorpg that I am slightly hyped about is Albion Online, because it looks like going to be like Ultima Online/Runescape, which had some really good gameplay I liked, especially pvp.

I only hope they up the performance of Wildstar a bit, since it ran pretty shit on many of the newest machines like myself's. It ran better on my 4 year old laptop than my 2 months old pc.

Anyways, its just 60$, for month(s) of gameplay even if it turns out to have shit endgame on the worst case, which is unlikely. You will still probably have fun playing with friends or making friends, so not like its time wasted. I'll probably play ESO too, since theres not much else for me to play other than PoE (which is insane with its new leagues) or dota2/league of legends, but if they released at the same time I would stick with Wildstar since I'm not a casual (not to offend anyone, I play pretty much 16 hours a day on free days if I get a good game, if there is nothing to play I'm a casual as well). I think the June is quite a good timing, even tho I wish it  had been released in January/feb already as I expected a year ago, because by that time many have played ESO and quit, because it really wasnt the game they expected.

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I just couldn't get into this.  The combat is cool, I like the idea but something is missing. It just seemed. I don't know. I really have not been able to put my finger on it.
  • AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Never, ever, pre-order.

It takes one to know one.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by Astraeis
    Never, ever, pre-order.

This^^

At least after many fail games and wasted money, i agree 100%

Never pre ordering again.

• sazabiussazabius Member UncommonPosts: 8

I'm not sure who WildStar is aimed at, honestly.  Everyone who grew up doing 40 man raids is too old for that shit now or knows better. I suppose the old Guard of WoW Raiders will either keep doing WoW raids or move over (I see very few playing both).

Had WildStar installed a for a weekend beta and could not bring myself to get interested, very much of a case of been there done that, I don't like MMO leveling tedium and ended up playing PSO2 the entire weekend... the tedium of click quest giver do quest go to next guy do quest makes me want to kill myself. Also the first zone really reminded me of Gnomeregan. I loathe the art style and sense of humor in this game. I've watched a lot of the live streams with the devs and they aren't funny during those either...  I know a lot of this is subjective but a lot of it is not. This is standard MMO fare and we've all seen this shit before. Do not want.

Anyway who the hell pre-orders an MMO these days? Haven't all of us had a Hellgate: London or SWToR by now?

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by sazabius

Anyway who the hell pre-orders an MMO these days? Haven't all of us had a Hellgate: London or SWToR by now?

No, but that is because it has always been clear to me that you should never, ever, pre-order anything.

It takes one to know one.