Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Optional Speech Bubbles for ESO

Would you like to see Optional Speech Bubbles added to the games interface?

Check this mock-up for an idea of what they could look like: http://i.imgur.com/EuLtLbB.jpg

I'm sure Zenimax can design something even better.

The reasoning is simple, the current system is very clunky when trying to communicate with those around you. Assuming you even notice someone speaking in "say" via the chat box, you then have the task of working who exactly spoke, and then to whom they were speaking. Speech Bubbles have been a key feature of many MMO's dating back to Ultima (and probably even earlier), they aid greatly in social interaction, particularly with strangers.

The idea has been talked about on other sites, and in other polls. Generally reaching 75-80% in favor of the idea: Check these screenies I compiled: http://imgur.com/a/FLIwC

I really hope Zenimax add this feature as soon as possible, currently it makes playing the game feel very claustrophobic and lacking the fundamental feature of the MMO genre - Socializing

Comments

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by jestahr

Assuming you even notice someone speaking in "say" via the chat box, you then have the task of working who exactly spoke, and then to whom they were speaking. 

Exactly.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

I voted yes, but it's not going to happen by the devs.  They have been very clear on this.

I would however like to see an addon created which allowed me to see chat bubbles.  This is something you may see.

• jestahrjestahr Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock

I voted yes, but it's not going to happen by the devs.  They have been very clear on this.

I would however like to see an addon created which allowed me to see chat bubbles.  This is something you may see.

MMO's are about the developers listening to their community. It would be silly if they completely dismiss features that the community really want. MMO's need to grow organically with their players or they will wither and die.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

Yeah.

+1 for Chat Bubbles.

Even that i grew up with DaoC back then, and many others did not had that feature, but nowaydays i think it's just fine to have them. I'll miss them tbh. but not enough to drive me away from the Game. Lets see perhaps we can get a User made addon for that or so, if possible.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I see no reason for optional chat bubbles it really
    Helps socializing with people around you. Especially for RP

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

NO! wrecks immersion for me.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Tokken

How does something optional wreck immersion for you? Pray tell?

As to the question, I find Chat Bubbles more necessary for PVP. Coordinating stuff in your immediate environments is MUCH easier, if you see "INCOMING" as a chat bubble in your vincinity instead of in zone chat. ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• HonosHonos Member Posts: 93
    Yes, say/yell/group speech bubbles needed 

Past: EQ, EQ2, DAoC, SWG, WoW, LotR, VG, WAR, GW, GW2, Rift
    Present: The Elder Scrolls Online
    Future: Everquest Next

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

They want to keep the screen as small and clean as possible if i remember right? So chat bubbles i think are out, even optional, especially then as it's a feature which probably most will turn off.

Plus you then won't see the gold selling ads floating about, in chat at least it's a few lines, in a bubble, more like wallspace.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

That's what I think of when people ask for chat bubbles.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Darkfall Unholy Wars put in chat bubbles a little while ago and they are awesome.  Half the time you would miss someone trying to get your attention prior to the chat bubble implementation. 
  • SchroesCatSchroesCat Member UncommonPosts: 44
    The answer to "<beep> you, roleplayers, we don't give a heck if you want chat bubbles and immersion" is very easy for me and consisting of one line: "<beep> you, wanna-be "RPG" makers", get your money and subs elsewhere, but I won't even test your crap.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Tokken

How can something optional ruin immersion for you?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Grand idea!
    Isaiah 41:10
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Check this mock-up for an idea of what they could look like: http://i.imgur.com/EuLtLbB.jpg

The reasoning is simple, the current system is very clunky when trying to communicate with those around you. Assuming you even notice someone speaking in "say" via the chat box, you then have the task of working who exactly spoke, and then to whom they were speaking. Speech Bubbles have been a key feature of many MMO's dating back to Ultima (and probably even earlier), they aid greatly in social interaction, particularly with strangers.

The idea has been talked about on other sites, and in other polls. Generally reaching 75-80% in favor of the idea: Check these screenies I compiled: http://imgur.com/a/FLIwC

I really hope Zenimax add this feature as soon as possible, currently it makes playing the game feel very claustrophobic and lacking the fundamental feature of the MMO genre - Socializing

maybe you should do a poll or participate in a poll on the beta forums. They aren't going to be looking at this site at the moment.

In any case, I voted yes, as long as it's optional. personally I prefer them but can understand why others don't like them.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Sovrath

maybe you should do a poll or participate in a poll on the beta forums. They aren't going to be looking at this site at the moment.

In any case, I voted yes, as long as it's optional. personally I prefer them but can understand why others don't like them.

These were the same type of arguments in Darkfall about chat bubbles.  If they are optional, toggleable chat bubbles there is no reason to vote.  If you don't like 'em, turn them off.

• I suggest adding optional speech bubbles. I think it's more immersive looking into the game rather than in a chat log.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Speech bubbles work great for stuff like selling stuff but if there a option to have it enabled i would run with it off till i was at a place where i wanted to buy something.
  • Originally posted by jestahr

MMO's are about the developers listening to their community. It would be silly if they completely dismiss features that the community really want. MMO's need to grow organically with their players or they will wither and die.

This completely ignores the fact that there is a huge fan base that doesnt want bubbles. I am not one of them but they do exist and that leaves the best solution to be a third party add-on.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by DanMan3395

This completely ignores the fact that there is a huge fan base that doesnt want bubbles. I am not one of them but they do exist and that leaves the best solution to be a third party add-on.

That's why they would be optional... 

• Originally posted by BeansnBread
    Originally posted by DanMan3395

That's why they would be optional... 

Yeah and as it turns out, a third party addon version cannot be made anyway. I guess they locked out geo-coordinates for players from the API for obvious exploit reasons. Thus there is no way for addons to put chat bubbles over a players location since that location is not available via the API.

So it seems the original option is the only option and I support it. There should be chat bubbles and a talking animation. I would prefer they be customizable so as to restrict what channels you see bubbles for.