Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chain Quest don't belong in an mmo !

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Whats with developers making mmos with massive chain quest.

My friends started the bata a few weeks ago and today was my first.  Because of the chain quest they could not play together, so they came to me to help out and none of us could do anything.  I'll admit I'm new to ESO and don't know much but the classics like EQ1 and EQ2, Vanilla WoW and so many others got it right by having quest hubs that you stayed in for days ( 10 slow levels worth ).  You played with friends you made new ones by questing togeather.....Now there all story driven !

I'm kind of mad right now because I need an mmo.

- I would like to play with friends.

- I would like to make new ones. 

- I would like to join a guild and play with others at random.

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I love chain quests, as they are perfect for telling stories..

just dont play MMOs with chain quests and you willbe fine

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I know the feeling OP. chain quests are good for story telling but they're bad from group dynamics as they are. They need better ways to allow people to join those chains than what most mmos have implemented right now.

Like most things in mmos, grouping always seems to be an after thought.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Which is perfectly fine in a single player game.  In a MMORPG where you want (or should want) to group with other people while exploring the content too often everyone is locked out from playing with each other.

BTW, the stories I favor in MMORPG's are those made by the players, not the developers.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

Ditto, I remember when I first played DDO (sub version) one of the quests was hours and a couple had to bail out mid way through which was fine, we'd already run it once anyway.

We stopped a number of times so parent's could see to kids, I think we ran it 3 times in a row until to many decided they didn't have time.

I miss long quests, nowadays they are to fast .. a chain of long ass quests /sigh

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

Your right, chain quests filled with hours of storyline content do not beling in MMO's

They belong in RPG's......      Which is why this game is called an MMORPG.  If you don't like RPG, then find an MMO

ESO is the first game in the last 5+ years that actually put RPG back into MMORPG,  I'm sry you got used to just MMO's, instead of MMORPG's but its my time to be happy in my RPG   MMO.  Thankyou, and good luck finding your MMO.

I never understood where people didn't get the RPG bit of MMORPG .. maybe we all shorten the already shorted massively multiplayer online role-playing game to much/often

Sort of like how we all used to say Newb and Noob .. now alot of gamers just use Noob, I think even the last CoD advert used Noob as well.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There is an easy fix ,allow outside access,allow anyone to join at anytime and do NOT make lock outs,that is just dumb and has no realism to it.An RPG should act like an rpg,you are role playing a character as it would be in those times,there would not be lockouts and the world would not stop and start  it would continue on forward.

Example if you uncovered some secrets or information to advance in the quest,a friend could join right in and be considered at the same point if so desired.If you were in a real world and all a sudden met up with some friends,it wouldn't be a case of ,oh no you can't come with us you have not unlocked this area,it really is a ridiculous mechanic devs have been using for far too long.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry
    There is an easy fix ,allow outside access,allow anyone to join at anytime and do NOT make lock outs,that is just dumb and has no realism to it.An RPG should act like an rpg,you are role playing a character as it would be in those times,there would not be lockouts and the world would not stop and start  it would continue on forward.Example if you uncovered some secrets or information to advance in the quest,a friend could join right in and be considered at the same point if so desired.If you were in a real world and all a sudden met up with some friends,it wouldn't be a case of ,oh no you can't come with us you have not unlocked this area,it really is a ridiculous mechanic devs have been using for far too long.

+1 .. hopefully they realize this

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

personally i cant stand this style of quest, nothing worse than sitting there with my friend trying to figure out if he has picked up 10 apples yet so we can now go kill 20 rats together and both get credit.  only to figure out that he hasnt even ran across the map and delivered the piece of paper to the npc to start the quest. 

dumbest shit ever.

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

If you can't play a few hours by yourself in the starter zones you don't deserve to play the rest of the game.

The game is a journey, not a rush to the end where you can zerg everything with your friends from the start.

If you don't like it go and play LoL where they cater to your style.

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I love long quest chains.  I say short quests don't belong in an mmo!  ;)
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by delete5230

ArcheAge is teh savior.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

Hearing chains quests are a part of this game makes me want to consider possibly playing it now. I love long involved quests that tell a story.   Go kill 10 rats and find 10 magical branches gets old fast.  The best quests tell a compelling story.

The addition of a creeping cash shop in to the game however has soured me a bit.  I'll adopt a wait and see attitude here I think.

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    I hate "x", "x" doesn't belong in mmo's. I don't care what anybody else thinks, the game should be changed to my exact specifications. There is no way that I should find a game that meets those specifications, every game should cater to my every whim.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

There is an easy fix ,allow outside access,allow anyone to join at anytime and do NOT make lock outs,that is just dumb and has no realism to it.An RPG should act like an rpg,you are role playing a character as it would be in those times,there would not be lockouts and the world would not stop and start  it would continue on forward.

Example if you uncovered some secrets or information to advance in the quest,a friend could join right in and be considered at the same point if so desired.If you were in a real world and all a sudden met up with some friends,it wouldn't be a case of ,oh no you can't come with us you have not unlocked this area,it really is a ridiculous mechanic devs have been using for far too long.

I agree with this. No reason someone can't fill their friend in on important info revealed previously in the chain (from a role-playing perspective), allowing the current quest to be shared.

I will point out however that, so long as there isn't any sort of instancing separating the players from one another, there's no reason a few friends can't quickly 'catch up' a buddy who's missed a few days & isn't as far along. It takes little time to do so, as those who have done the quest already know exactly where to go and what to do. Even if there are instanced areas involved, there are also 'public' parts of the quests where outside help could greatly speed things along.

As for chain quests themselves, so long as the story being told is decent & the reward(s) is good, I enjoy them. I will admit that sometimes they seem to go on way too long, especially when instead of being broken into smaller quests with individual rewards, it's one long multi-stage quest. Those get very annoying at times. LOTRO has a ton of those, and they usually piss me off something fierce.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

There are a lot of things groups can do in ESO from a early low level.  is it really necessary to add the story line quests to them?

Phasing and chaining makes for good story telling.  Dungeons both public and private, anchors, PVP, and open world named make for good group content.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    The missing chain quests have been a big problem with the last few MMO's. They are needed to keep players in the game. You want to continue until you get the quest done. Sometimes that can last hours longer than you expected. I miss that feeling of wanting to continue till the long chain is done. I am glad it is back, it makes me want to play this game and forget about my past games. It is nice to have a RPG in a MMORPG.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

Hopefully they know that by now they have a good deal of PnP players, some from AD&D ed1 onwards lol so long all night, all weekend (and still not finished) quests were part of the gaming experience .. THAT was in my 30's

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by bestever

I agree they could let you help friends and other players but they don't want you to power level maybe.

I think the main reason is you could have a max level help you and that would just be the easy way out.

Oh please.

So just because some folks might abuse a system let's keep people from playing with their friends?

Yes you are right we would not want MMORPG's to actually encourage group play any more since everyone knows most MMO's have been turned into a single player game many years ago.:P

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Seems to me Elders Scrolls Online will have no choice but to become F2P in a matter of a few months.  It they developed the game without Multi player in mind then most will get sick of it once they experience the core of the game and move on to the next............just another 30 day GAME.

Solo games with others on line is kind of like walking around a packed mall on a Saturday afternoon all by your self.  When you finally ask a sales person " do you have this shirt in large ? " and they say " just what's on the rack ".

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Which is perfectly fine in a single player game.  In a MMORPG where you want (or should want) to group with other people while exploring the content too often everyone is locked out from playing with each other.

BTW, the stories I favor in MMORPG's are those made by the players, not the developers.

It's also perfectly fine for an mmo aswell. You can group up, explore with other players AND follow a story.

What I would like to see, like in EvE, is that the main story can be enitirely optional. I don't like stories you have to follow to unlock game content.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    I have always grouped in ESOs betas and have never had a problem . I don't understand why would your friends not be able to do the quest that you are on. Oh wait maybe its because you don't have friends and you solo half thee time and get too far a head of your so called friends. When i play any mmo we all have atleast 2 toons one that we group and one that we solo we never get on the grouped until most of us are together and if there is a straggler for what ever reason we all know that he or she will catch up ASAP. We as being friend do a ton of stuff together but we never expect our friends to PL us or wait for us. Thats not to say that we don't often help them catch up by telling them how we did it or help them by clearing mobs for them .
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by delete5230

Whats with developers making mmos with massive chain quest.

My friends started the bata a few weeks ago and today was my first.  Because of the chain quest they could not play together, so they came to me to help out and none of us could do anything.  I'll admit I'm new to ESO and don't know much but the classics like EQ1 and EQ2, Vanilla WoW and so many others got it right by having quest hubs that you stayed in for days ( 10 slow levels worth ).  You played with friends you made new ones by questing togeather.....Now there all story driven !

- I would like to play with friends.

- I would like to make new ones. 

- I would like to join a guild and play with others at random.

I dont disagree.

However, you're kind of acting like the main story is the only thing to do in the game. It's not. It's actually (plot aside) a very small portion of the game. You can still do all the things you mentioned. Then save the main storyline quest for later.

That one quest chain is entirely soloable (from what I've seen so far). And is only ever needed to be completed once you get to 50, and want to start doing veteran rank (endgame) content. You can literally go back and finish it at any time, and do the rest of the game with your friends when you're all online.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Deddmeat

+1 .. hopefully they realize this

You two should really check out Gw2's personal story. The overall quality is questionable and varies for different people (opinions and shit), but the mechanics are amazing. I can hop in any instance of my group. There is really no limit. The solo instances are only a few (also outside the personal story). And if we happen to be on the same step, all of us *choose* to progress and get rewards tailored to us :) 

So you see, chains can be done right. TESO's phasing however is quite the shit. People being unable to play together in this so called "megaserver" is just another nail in the coffin. 

Now that I think about it, this "megaserver" lie is quite smart :O . This way they can "merge" servers without activating the doomsdayers and naysayers xD Its really a great expansion on the Gw2's overflow idea. Have to admire them for that. I think they've prepared every tool in the book to keep this game as long as possible as P2P with gimmicks like this one.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Knotwood

Your right, chain quests filled with hours of storyline content do not beling in MMO's

They belong in RPG's......      Which is why this game is called an MMORPG.  If you don't like RPG, then find an MMO

ESO is the first game in the last 5+ years that actually put RPG back into MMORPG,  I'm sry you got used to just MMO's, instead of MMORPG's but its my time to be happy in my RPG   MMO.  Thankyou, and good luck finding your MMO.

No it doesn't. ESO uses hyper phasing in order to give people the illusion of being a hero in an MMORPG instead of making the quests play more into the war fighting effort and the impending calamity. TSW also has a story driven PvE experience; however, it still allows players to join in at any time execpt during solo maze type quests. Furthermore, RPG doesn't mean story, it means playing a role in a game world. That's why we have sandbox RPGs without story or, at leasts, completely predetermined endings (multiple based on player choices). If you've ever played a PnP game, the first RPGs, you know that the story is simply used in them to give players more of a reason to do the actions they want to do anyways and be a way for the player to engage in the world without having to have grown up or be there. 

While I do like the story aspect of ESO, I feel that it was done in a bad way. The OP should really view the game like I viewed GW2 (funny how this keeps happening) as 3 sperate games. The general game world is the co-op RPG aspect of the game where you play with friends. The story is designed to give a single player experience, while the PvP section of the game is designed to be a PvP game. You can still play with your friends, but not during the story if you want to maintain your sanity unless you all group up together from THE START and all pick THE SAME OPTIONS. You could actually use the single player aspect of the game to meet new people and the world dungeons and quests, once live, to play with friends you made along the way.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher