Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: To Pre-Order or Not?

Comments

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Gonna let this one pass. 

The hype train should be on full speed for an upcoming release of this magnitude... only it seems to be barely chugging based on the mixed reception from beta testers. 

Going to stay at the station and catch the next ride, thanks. 

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854

I'm holding out on ESO and Wildstar going to give both these games a couple months after release before I bite. I'm done hopping on the bandwagon before these games release I hate getting to the endgame after 2 - 4 weeks of playing it and reduced to having to group to do everything for endgame. I don't mind grouping but I wish there was solo content that involves some exploration.

• blazehammerblazehammer Member UncommonPosts: 20
    No, thanks. Not playing it even if it goes free.
  • kayze68kayze68 Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by snowleopard201
    I will definitely preorder. They are offering additional 12 days of play to pre-orders (4 weekends × 3 days) which equals about 6$ (30 days/$15 sub × 12 days) . So if I like the game I will gain $6 if I dont like the game I will loose 60$ which I probably would have lost even if I bought the game later. So why not pre-order.?

Seriously? Every MMO I played offered 30 days( first month) free + Beta access.

• TwystedWizTwystedWiz Member UncommonPosts: 175

"...it also gives me ample time to pick up a copy of another upcoming MMO, chew through the content and churn out without feeling rushed..."

Must not be much of a MMO if you are going to "chew through the content" in a couple/few months without rushing...

• G4NK3DG4NK3D Member UncommonPosts: 97
    No ty...  Boring game was boring...  but to each his own.
  • MundicusMundicus Member Posts: 1

I think you are underestimating the openness of all the devs at Zenimax and their transaprency at almost all of the elements of TESO. Twitch and YouTube is full with both stream recordings and videos of PvE, PvP, Crafting. There have been limitations and restrictions on Beta Participants to not reveal certain plot elements (Vampire-Werewolf quests) and certain high-level areas so that it would be interesting for the players to play in, actually. 

Put in the BETA invites that have been sent in hundreds of THOUSANDS - literally everyone could try the ESO game out and those most persistent were even able to hit 50 already, with their characters being carried over from one beta to another. Plus, the beta is still going on with 2 weeks before release - that is how DEVS are committed to stress-testing, polishing and improving their game and hearing feedback.

Add fantastic voicing of Bill Nighy and Kathrin Beckinsale in TESO ... 

Carbine closed beta with 3 months till release? Do you know how polished and feedback-rich will that content produced over 3 months be? :D They tried to use the limited and press-only beta invites to raise the "hype", however they have spoiled all the quests, instances and whatever scarce elements of fun there were - everything has been exposed. If you haven't checked those out- good for you; you'll last for a month or two in WS. 

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    No preorder for me. I played some beta and it feeled like a tour in a toy store, a very very guided tour. ESO does the trick for me. Wildstar is too themeparky and too plastic looking for me. I liked the humor in the videos though but I did not find anything like this in the game.
  • AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

After Conan, Warhammer, Rift (the only one i liked), SWTOR, GW2, D3 there will be no more pre orders for me again. I ll watch both TESO & Wildstar and IF after sometime of their release they are ok (content, bugs, updates, client performance etc) then i will think of buying.

I wont buy again a semi finished game, waiting every week/month for major fixes & additions, with many of them never to arrive.

So no, i will not ever pre order a game.

• ivaylo1981ivaylo1981 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    4,5,6 months after start game will be free to play so i can w8 :)
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

When the WoW expansion comes out Wildstar is pretty much dead unless it gets changed to F2P.

• AvulAvul Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by Ticonz

The simon says puzzle in Far Side is a good example of a lvl 29 Mini game that doesn't progress by hitting any color you want.    So I guess you are blind or bugged?  [...] Another puzzle was the computer one in Grimvault.  

[...] Could you explain to me in detail what made you "HAVE" to use the arrow to find it? I mean.. im assuming you got the path call where it said "Find this treasure in this zone."  and you couldnt' find it so you hit the button to help guide you towards its location. [...] And you decided that you NEEDED the hand holding so you clicked on it to find it.  That's just what it sounds like to me.  In the scientist path, as you got closer to find a hidden cache that you had to find.. there was a bar in the bottom right where the path mission was that would actually get closer to filling up kind of like a hot/cold system when you got closer to the proximity of them.

Ha, I knew that you will come up with the Farside Color Puzzle. It's the only exception I participated in because you get a title ("Puzzle Master") for completing it. So you're right.. this puzzle has to be done in the right order. The other one ("computer one in Grimvault") is unknown to me because I stopped playing the game in that zone after completing it to ~33%. So I can't comment on that. Besides the Puzzle Master minigame all of them are being completed "automatically" (i.e. you fail and succeed in the same breath). That's a huge design flaw in my opinion. It feels like a game for kids who just wanna rush to lvl 50 and start raiding. These mini-games are (as I've said already) more of an occupational therapy.

If you're okey with the paths and quests I'm happy for you. I wish Carbine the best for their game. But for me it's a difference to search for an item by yourself (i.e. NPC gives you some hints like how the environment looks like - for example: "Go to the big tree near the bridge over the river. Somewhere there is a small chest filled with treasure!") and to walk to a predetermined place with the help of a giant arrow (you can't get there without it.. there are no hints at all) and to navigate to a specific spot.. again with the help of the UI (i.e. these bars on the bottom right). Where is the challenge in that? Maybe I'm too old or not that big of a MMO fan.. but you're playing the UI all the way. There should be a possibility for not-so-lazy-players to find these items without these "crutches". I won't pay ~15$ per month for a lot of f-clicking and hand holding missions like that. Sorry!

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

When the WoW expansion comes out Wildstar is pretty much dead unless it gets changed to F2P.

True

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    I'm preordering fo'sho!

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

If I wanted to play Wildstar I would just install GW2 again..

• Arachneus1Arachneus1 Member UncommonPosts: 248

Out of all the current upcoming games that everyone is battling over, this is the one that most appeals to me.  It has enough to do with the paths and housing to keep me busy for those times I am just bored with combat/dungeons/questing.

Played the betas of the two main games that are coming out soon and Wildstar won it for me by a lot.

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    Originally posted by zellmer

If I wanted to play Wildstar I would just install GW2 again..

This makes no sense to me.  Gw2 is a completely different kind of MMO. 

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

Because WoW is doing such an amazing job getting more people to play their game, right?  WoW had its first STABLE quarter in years, meaning every quarter for the past few years, on the majority, they have been bleeding subs.  Still, they have the most populated playerbase.  A lot of the hardcore raiding guilds that have left WoW, or even that are still playing are moving over to Wildstar.  People that are nostalgic about pre-WOTLK raiding are moving over to wildstar.

Don't presume that WoW's expansion will kill anything.  It looks good and even has me curious after being out of the game for 3 years, but for many people(including myself) that ship has sailed.  Blizzard was way too complacent for way too long with QoL updates and system features, until a game like GW2 came along and shook things up.  Now they are adding more features into the game, and at a more rapid pace.  Has anyone noticed this?  For the first 6-7 years,they sat back and released new content every 6+ months with expansions that gave the same crap everytime.  Now, they are trying to innovate...which is something they should have done earlier.  And for people like me, its an expansion or two too late.

Wildstar has an updated combat system, launching with player housing, supposed old school hard raiding, many other game systems like adventures or shiphands, and QoL.

Wildstar for me.

• RacksoRackso Member UncommonPosts: 11

They said already on ther web site that you will be able to upgrade to the deluxe edition through the in-game store or ther site.

I definetively loved the game, i will be pre-ordering. I played the beta just 2 weekends to try the game in general, its core mechanics and additional options, some classes im interested on but i didnt go further than lvl 15 just because i want to save content when the game launches. 

I highly recommend this MMO if what you are looking for is an Old-School style MMO with modern and improved mechanics. Thats what i was looking for and this game is the one for me.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

- Enjoyed my short time in the closed beta a lot.

- No cash-grab pre-order bonuses, instead half the stuff you'd normally expect given away for free.

So yes, I will most likely pre-order. Even if only to support good practices in the industry.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by SBFord

WildStar’s launch date has finally been revealed, with Carbine Studios also sharing details about their tempting preorder deals. In this week’s column, Gareth Harmer asks if we should be handing over our cash just yet.

Read more of Gareth Harmer's WildStar: To Pre-Order or Not?

Not...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• PapaprikaPapaprika Member UncommonPosts: 55
    No, the less cash thrown at it, the faster it will get things done and the faster it will get to F2P, where it belongs. I was in CB. Nothing in there is worth your sub they are offering. But, knowing the 12 year olds with credit cards here...You are the people that keep EA alive, the company given the worst company title of 2013. Good job. 
  • PapaprikaPapaprika Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by cesmode8

Because WoW is doing such an amazing job getting more people to play their game, right?  WoW had its first STABLE quarter in years, meaning every quarter for the past few years, on the majority, they have been bleeding subs.  Still, they have the most populated playerbase.  A lot of the hardcore raiding guilds that have left WoW, or even that are still playing are moving over to Wildstar.  People that are nostalgic about pre-WOTLK raiding are moving over to wildstar.

Don't presume that WoW's expansion will kill anything.  It looks good and even has me curious after being out of the game for 3 years, but for many people(including myself) that ship has sailed.  Blizzard was way too complacent for way too long with QoL updates and system features, until a game like GW2 came along and shook things up.  Now they are adding more features into the game, and at a more rapid pace.  Has anyone noticed this?  For the first 6-7 years,they sat back and released new content every 6+ months with expansions that gave the same crap everytime.  Now, they are trying to innovate...which is something they should have done earlier.  And for people like me, its an expansion or two too late.

Wildstar has an updated combat system, launching with player housing, supposed old school hard raiding, many other game systems like adventures or shiphands, and QoL.

Wildstar for me.

Wow is bleed out and almost shut down in US due to it's profit loss (you can trave this with server merger plans they have done also). Chine saved them. China does not have allot of game likes this and they are going nuts over it. A good part of this also is WoW's ability to change in game things to compliment Chinese culture as well (covering the bones of the zombies, etc..). Welcome to China WoW. The main reason there is PANDAS in the exansion despite "We will never have a pandarian race" back in the day before Burning crusade was launched. A valentines day joke, some one said panda would be a playable race. They officially said no...until now. 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

Probably getting this I enjoyed the cuteness and fun and humour when I betaed it for a bit.

Chamber of Chains
  • DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291
    Nothing but garbage being spewed out like this game, ESO and whatever craptastic title in the mmo genre finds it way to over glorified hype that releases soon. No thanks a million times over, will wait for cooler games to release like Dying Light, Destiny and a slew of other titles thank you very much that are not mmo's.