Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do people actually like this game?

Comments

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    I like it.
  • jelliuzjelliuz Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by jelliuz
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Originally posted by keenber
    If i only played the first 2 zones i guess i would feel the same as you. Once i got to the main land it felt like a totally differant game and it was fun to just explore with friends and do the odd quest here and there.

What level do you get to the main land?

With the new patch, you go straight to the mainland from the tutorial, with the option to go back to the starter islands if you want to.

I know that's an option (right?) but I did actually enjoy the begining  intro the story. I just want to know what LEVEL the main land "opens up"

What do you mean, "opens up" ? It's open from the very start. 

No its not. The begining game has you moving from quest hub to quest hub and you pretty much have to in order to level. I've been told by people that the main land the game opens up in the sense that you aren't exactly lead everywhere, but its more closed circuit than GW2. 

I have no clue what you are talking about. If this is how you see it, you're doing it wrong. 

I never followed any quest path , there is no "hubs", where do you get these things ? 

You can explore and take any quest you like anywhere in the world. The first thing I did was go to the shore and explore the whole map. Look for dungeons and clear those, work a lot on crafting etc... I leveled up as fast as my mates who were just following the main quest line. 

I would finish the main quest line up to my level once I felt like it.

• CalkrowCalkrow Member UncommonPosts: 92

Played every Elder Scrolls game since Arena, played MMOs since EQ: Shadow of Luclin.

I think ESO is great, digital Imperial Edition ordered, can't wait for the start of early access.

Forum Post count does not = Game Intelligence or Knowledge  it just shows how often people like to talk.
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    If i only played the first 2 zones i guess i would feel the same as you. Once i got to the main land it felt like a totally differant game and it was fun to just explore with friends and do the odd quest here and there.

What level do you get to the main land?

With the new patch, you go straight to the mainland from the tutorial, with the option to go back to the starter islands if you want to.

I know that's an option (right?) but I did actually enjoy the begining  intro the story. I just want to know what LEVEL the main land "opens up"

What do you mean, "opens up" ? It's open from the very start. 

No its not. The begining game has you moving from quest hub to quest hub and you pretty much have to in order to level. I've been told by people that the main land the game opens up in the sense that you aren't exactly lead everywhere, but its more closed circuit than GW2. 

I have no clue what you are talking about. If this is how you see it, you're doing it wrong. 

I

Funny as that's exactly what I did for the first beta and didn't make it to level 15 and during the second beta I just went from quest hub to quest hub and made it to level 15.. People said the same thing about GW2 (I was one of them) and for the majority of people that wasn't the case. 

So just answer my question. What level do you get to the main land if you actually follow the story from the begining. I actually enjoyed it and just want to know if I actually made it there during my last play through. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Funny as that's exactly what I did for the first beta and didn't make it to level 15 and during the second beta I just went from quest hub to quest hub and made it to level 15.. People said the same thing about GW2 (I was one of them) and for the majority of people that wasn't the case. 

So just answer my question. What level do you get to the main land if you actually follow the story from the begining. I actually enjoyed it and just want to know if I actually made it there during my last play through. 

You were there.  It "opens up" in the sense that you can technically go anywhere, but if you actually want to be somewhere where you are strong enough to not get killed, but not so strong that you aren't getting XP, you're still not going to have a wide variety of places to be at any given point in time.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

You were there.  It "opens up" in the sense that you can technically go anywhere, but if you actually want to be somewhere where you are strong enough to not get killed, but not so strong that you aren't getting XP, you're still not going to have a wide variety of places to be at any given point in time.

Thought so. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• retye50retye50 Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by ticouplexylix

I don't get the hype here, most people I know were bored before they even exited the tutorial. I played the first few islands before I quit, but I knew I hated how it didn't feel like a world, I mean the main series has loading screens, but at least it still felt persistent. On top of that though, it didn't feel like an Elder Scrolls game, it felt like an MMO with the best bits of The Elder Scrolls taken out of it. I always thought the series was the perfect game waiting turn be turned into an MMO, but that was because it got rid of all the shit parts of MMOs. All they've seemed to do however is just made a worse WoW like all the other MMOs that have come since, only this time the combat is so bad it isn't even funny. Just like Titanfall, there seems to be so much hype from the press, yet I know no one who actually likes it. They've basically turned a sandbox into a theme park. It isn't a proper MMO, it is all instanced and split up behind hundreds of loading screens, there is no world feeling and this is a disturbing trend in the genre. It isn't an Elder Scrolls game, it doesn't feel open, the quests are all boring, the combat is somehow worse and it doesn't feel like a sandbox or open like Elder Scrolls games do. Who does this appeal to? It's like a mash up of all the worst things about MMOs, the last good one was 2004 and that was WoW, since then it is like no one has come close, they all miss the point. I used to love the genre with SWG, EVE, WoW, EQ, PS... now it just feels like all ambition has gone, all innovation has gone, the open world has gone, they're creating games now, not worlds. To me an MMO is a world, if it loses that feeling, it isn't massive, it's an online game. Just give me coop Elder Scrolls instead, all I really wanted any ways.

You say you stopped playing after the first few islands......I stopped reading after the first few sentences....
  • maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    I played 3 beta weekends so far.  I do not like it.  I'd rather just play Skyrim and not have to look at chat.
  • GrimfargoGrimfargo Member UncommonPosts: 59

Nah I dont like it.

So I bought the Imperial Edition to protect other players that they dont have to experience this crappy game.

;)

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by maybebaked
    I played 3 beta weekends so far.  I do not like it.  I'd rather just play Skyrim and not have to look at chat.

You do know you can close the chat window, right?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Kyleran

learning how to mf**king lockpick properly.

I don't get it that so many has such a problem with lockpicking, It's exactly like Oblivion but easier.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by Torgrim

I don't get it that so many has such a problem with lockpicking, It's exactly like Oblivion but easier.

You were playing Oblivion online?

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by StarI
    Originally posted by Torgrim

You were playing Oblivion online?

?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• HabitualFrogStompHabitualFrogStomp Member UncommonPosts: 370

What I gather about the general feelings about this game so far on the forums:

Fanbois, overall far too confident in the strength of the game to waste anytime defending it. Everyone's just really excited for it come out.

Middle of the fence: Most people that went into beta with tempered expectations, come out  thinking "wow that was pretty cool, shut up and take my money."

Haters: have really general mild rants about it, before slowly dying off and giving up. They realize 80% of their current games guild is going to be playing it at launch, and they will be too. Resistance is futile.

Everyone gets a spot on the democracy bus, even if you're wrong like the OP. See ya at launch buddy.
  • sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I didn't care for ESO.
  • FistyMayhemFistyMayhem Member UncommonPosts: 61
    I played quite a bit during closed beta.. I won't be buying it.  You are not alone, OP, I completely agree with you on this one.
  • JHenryJHenry Member Posts: 188
    The latest veteran dungeon video is making me think twice...

SOLA - www.solaguild.com
    (christian guild. Being christian is not required for membership though)

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Why bitch every time a new game is going to be released. If you dont like the game then dont bother. Its really a silly question to ask since people do like elderscrolls games. If the didnt, then they wouldnt have bother with the making of the game.

Edgar F Greenwood

• IcybloodIcyblood Member Posts: 6

Agree with op. All i have to say is i played for 20min and pulled 2 mobs and let them beat on me. 3min later still alive. Then i pulled a 3rd mob to help beat on me. 3more min go by before i die. What kind of hand holding crap is that?

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by huskerman34
    Why bitch every time a new game is going to be released. If you dont like the game then dont bother. Its really a silly question to ask since people do like elderscrolls games. If the didnt, then they wouldnt have bother with the making of the game.

They all already bought the CE and will be in early access, they aren't fooling anybody. They just like to bitch about everything, its human nature to bitch and moan about anything new.

• WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224

Serious OP i stop read after you compare ESO with WoW how can you even say the ESO feel and look like WoW serious

1. WoW have something call cartoon gfx where in ESO do see cartoon gfx??
    2. WoW have something call click combat system and ESO dont even have mouse show anywhere then in your char menu
    3. WoW is 10 year which mean the engine is 10 years old ESO have engine and mostlike total different one to
    4. You say you play 1st few isle of game to my knowledge you cant leave 2nd isles so how can you even know who game look like when we have only 2 % off game
    5. You talk about load screen well ALL include use load screen so what is the big problem so ESO have hade some problem with long load time but it is still just a BETA beside the have fix long load time but i guess you have not even play ESO after you 1 time in beta that is you lost

Honest OP say as it you dont like ESO for it is not your cup of tea but honest ESO is way better then WoW will every be for tell you the truth is the blizzard is truning WoW some type P2P/P2S game where you can skip 99% of content and you have pay real money + monthly subscribe fee to play there game honest WoW total is not a mmorpg for you basically dont need a friend or guild to lvl up no you should stop compare new mmorpg with WoW for it is like compare a Volvo 240 with Ferrari Formula one car from 2014.

• BonemaneBonemane Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by HabitualFrogStomp

What I gather about the general feelings about this game so far on the forums:

Fanbois, overall far too confident in the strength of the game to waste anytime defending it. Everyone's just really excited for it come out.

Middle of the fence: Most people that went into beta with tempered expectations, come out  thinking "wow that was pretty cool, shut up and take my money."

Haters: have really general mild rants about it, before slowly dying off and giving up. They realize 80% of their current games guild is going to be playing it at launch, and they will be too. Resistance is futile.

Everyone gets a spot on the democracy bus, even if you're wrong like the OP. See ya at launch buddy.

I've been in the beta for the past 7 months, before they wiped the official forums there were huge amounts of complaints about the game which seemed to way outnumber the compliments. The game was (and still is to an extent) extremely buggy, feels more like your average theme park MMO with an ES skin, leveling up is quest based and some of the quests are really long (also before they upped the experience a lot due to complaints, it felt like it took forever to level because of little to no exp gain), among many other issues with combat, etc. 

For the last two months it seems like they've been doing nothing, but stress tests since we've been on the same build. Honestly, I've been through most of the quests up until the point where things cut-off at this build and I say they better be damned near finished with another build elsewhere otherwise this game's in trouble if this is all the content they have.  

The OP has his points, but I wouldn't compare it to WoW. This game feels like one of those generic indie MMOs that everyone usually talks about, but only enough people play it to keep it alive. The graphics are beautiful (you'll be looking at them quite a lot especially when your screen freezes and you have to reload the ui or restart the game). The saving grace for it is going to be the fact that it's an Elder Scrolls property so the huge number of fanboys will keep it going just like with FFXII (another hugely hyped big property game that started off with a huge number of subscribers at the beginning then dropped off dramatically).

• FandinFandin Member UncommonPosts: 55

I like it. I don't compare it to Skyrim, Oblivion, or Morrowind (All three of which in my top 5 favorite games I can't give rankings to, personally.) as I feel that's not being fair to ESO.

But as far as MMO's go, I feel like the setting, IP, and gameplay all blend together to make a MMO I can finally get into. I have my issues with the game. I did see a lot of polishing that needed to take place in the last beta weekend. But as I have said before. I stuck with SWG for 8 years, only quitting because it shut down. I'm not new to broken mechanics and patches that do funky things. But I understand how much work needs to be done, and that a single line hidden somewhere in millions of lines of code can be the cause for something REALLY awkward to happen.

In a nutshell, I've been looking for a MMO to sink into for some time now, and from my own personal reasons (That I expect none to follow. Either you like a game or you don't. Not a biggie IMO.)  ESO seems to be my next "it" MMO.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by Fandin

I like it. I don't compare it to Skyrim, Oblivion, or Morrowind (All three of which in my top 5 favorite games I can't give rankings to, personally.) as I feel that's not being fair to ESO.

But as far as MMO's go, I feel like the setting, IP, and gameplay all blend together to make a MMO I can finally get into. I have my issues with the game. I did see a lot of polishing that needed to take place in the last beta weekend. But as I have said before. I stuck with SWG for 8 years, only quitting because it shut down. I'm not new to broken mechanics and patches that do funky things. But I understand how much work needs to be done, and that a single line hidden somewhere in millions of lines of code can be the cause for something REALLY awkward to happen.

In a nutshell, I've been looking for a MMO to sink into for some time now, and from my own personal reasons (That I expect none to follow. Either you like a game or you don't. Not a biggie IMO.)  ESO seems to be my next "it" MMO.

I agree completely. I also hope a lot of people DON'T buy the game just to perpetrate the usual cycle of :

1)buy game without any idea of what it is

2)whine in the forums and in game because it's not wow

3)quit and spend most of their waking time trolling the game

I'd rather TESO starts smallish and grow

PS

What's with all these 1-month old accounts, eh eh eh?

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by tixylix

I don't get the hype here, most people I know were bored before they even exited the tutorial. I played the first few islands before I quit, but I knew I hated how it didn't feel like a world, I mean the main series has loading screens, but at least it still felt persistent. On top of that though, it didn't feel like an Elder Scrolls game, it felt like an MMO with the best bits of The Elder Scrolls taken out of it. I always thought the series was the perfect game waiting turn be turned into an MMO, but that was because it got rid of all the shit parts of MMOs. All they've seemed to do however is just made a worse WoW like all the other MMOs that have come since, only this time the combat is so bad it isn't even funny. 

Just like Titanfall, there seems to be so much hype from the press, yet I know no one who actually likes it. They've basically turned a sandbox into a theme park. It isn't a proper MMO, it is all instanced and split up behind hundreds of loading screens, there is no world feeling and this is a disturbing trend in the genre. It isn't an Elder Scrolls game, it doesn't feel open, the quests are all boring, the combat is somehow worse and it doesn't feel like a sandbox or open like Elder Scrolls games do. Who does this appeal to? It's like a mash up of all the worst things about MMOs, the last good one was 2004 and that was WoW, since then it is like no one has come close, they all miss the point. I used to love the genre with SWG, EVE, WoW, EQ, PS... now it just feels like all ambition has gone, all innovation has gone, the open world has gone, they're creating games now, not worlds. To me an MMO is a world, if it loses that feeling, it isn't massive, it's an online game.

Just give me coop Elder Scrolls instead, all I really wanted any ways.

See that's your problem you have only played the odd beta weekend and having watched a friend play on the PTS (Public Test Server) the game is miles ahead of the beta weekend game. So you seeing an old build and not the latest game which is miles ahead and very addictive indeed. So many people have paid for the CE and other box sets this game will have a massive community on launch. There will always be people who will complain its not Skyrim but this game could never be Skyrim and that's a fact. However they have done a good job to make the game feel solid and fun. The PvP element of the game will have people who previously hated PvP wanting to take part as its much fun. I cannot wait to get my grubby hands on the game and every time I watch my friend playing I find myself yearning to play the game.

Personally I feel you can only judge the game once you have played the final build and that will change many players view IMO. Is it a prefect MMO no not by any stretch of the imagination, but it will have a very large player base which will make this game a hit. If they support the game going forward then it could turn out to be a little gem. Before you buy this game go watch someone who has bought it and then judge it for your self rather than what others have to say about this game. It's not going to be for everyone's taste but it's a whole bunch of fun IMO. image

Asbo