Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: Why Don't More People Play TSW?

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Moirae

the whole game feels like it was made in the 90's/early 2000's and is almost an extended carbon copy of Vampire Bloodlines,  Which was great.... for ten to fifteen years ago. 

Nah, it's still great to this very day :)

I played it through, dunno,  ~1.5 years ago the last time, maybe I'll fire it up again soon. Awesome game - after you wipe all the bugs of course.

(and it's from someone who doesn't even like WoD and their games. Except maybe Mage. But imo V:tM was weak, both the p'n'p and the live version, and still, for me Bloodlines is a masterpiece)

• HytekHytek Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Originally posted by Reehay

wow.. this is the most sycophantic and fanboish and apologetic article I've read from MMORPG.com in a long time. Basically a fanboy is worried their game is going to shutdown and goes about making up excuses and dreaming up ways to spin the glaring problems into positives. oooooh so its OUR FAULT THE COMBAT IS BORING? rofl k, fail article. complete fail. Complexity? rofl. rofl rofl. You can add as many gears and wheels to a machine as you want... but if its just gonna roll in one direction then its redundant. fail.

+1 all the way!

I played a little beta and the game was just badly done and BORING. Played again for a couple of days during a free weekend trial thing (or whatever it was) like a year later and the game was still VERY much incredibly boring and bland.

I have found in my lifetime, that the beauty of hating stupid people is, that it crosses all racial boundaries.

• Ralphie2449Ralphie2449 Member UncommonPosts: 574

PvP is HORRIBLE and devs dont give a damn because they only caring about making people feel better through pve rather than make good competitive content

• nirvanetnirvanet Member UncommonPosts: 95

Pre ordered it, played one week only.

Why ?

.combat system suxx (Everquest/DaoC/WoW etc clone) what a big deception with guns... I thought about fps combats first... like Fallen Earth, Neocron and more.

.the missions are not so funny

.we are all the same (a bit like asian mmo, I know many of you think it is not real so... why do we have so little choices for weapons/skills ?

.monsters suxx

.graphics are not so impressiv at all

I could find many reasons :)

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Anyone saying that ESO has an innovative combat system haven't play TSW with action mode turned on. Doing this, the game plays exactly like ESO. I also find it funny that people praise ESO, which essentially has the same combat system, while at the same time saying that the combat system in TSW is crap.

TSW may have a clunkish combat system (I dont have a problem with it), but the story driven aspects of the game combined with the fact that its a B2P game make it the best Co-OP RPG on the market (which is why it should never have been P2P). I actually found my self wanting to know what happened next. That more than I can say about most MMORPG's expansions. IMO, it never caught on because it wasn't b2p originally. People played the beta and the fist month of the game and couldn't justify paying a sub for it. SWTOR has the same issue, and I believe that ESO will have similar problems. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836

I love TSW for its story, setting, and characters.

Unfortunately, it also has:

Repetitive, clunky combat.

A low player population.

Rather poor, often obnoxious enemy design.

Clunky travel mechanics.

Some of the worst PvP I've ever seen. 

• neosparkkneosparkk Member UncommonPosts: 59

I don't think DayZ gave "the horror genre a boost".... 

What I liked about TSW: Atmosphere, stories and themes, progression systems (weapons, no levels, gear based, etc.), lots of aesthetic clothing to wear.

What I hated about TSW: Animations were HORRIBLE. Combat was dull and clunky, you barely have any abilities and need to spam them constantly; multiple weapons don't fix this. It makes me cringe just imagining hearing the awful gun shot sounds over and over and over and over again... It also wasn't the smoothest/responsive gameplay in the world but it wasn't the worst. Also the investigation missions and some others just made you wanna smash your head against the wall, they weren't fun or puzzling, they were a test to see if you could use the crappy in-game web browser. The quests could have been handled a lot better in a more clear way, allowing you to better track your progress and make it much clearer what you should be doing without completely spoiling any puzzles. 

• Dope_RangerDope_Ranger Member Posts: 3
    The reason I don't play TSW after not only getting hands on experience at PAX-EAST but waiting a long time to pay good money for a copy shortly after launch is because the beating it takes to kill monsters is pointless when they just respawn shortly after I kill them. PLAY APB INSTEAD!
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

It billed itself as being set in the modern world but New York, London and Tokyo were under developed instances with no depth or personality. Leave those zones and it was a parallel universe of interesting places but not modern world.

I really liked the fully repeatable quest system. Other than that is just seemed like I was going through the motions but there was no personality or feeling of investment. It was one of those games that wanting it was more fun than having it. I'm finding that to be the case with a lot of games though.

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

TLDR: I despise pvp and hate realistic graphics and modern settings. 

I want to support buy to play games, but I'm generally a Sci-Fi Fantasy/Fantasy fan. My favorite games have complexity and are very in-depth, but I also want to play a game with my boyfriend and not alone. So, if I was going to play a game that was outside of my genre, I'd at least need someone to play it with me, I'm sick and tired of soloing everything!! 

So, is the pvp really that bad? Are there pve servers? I can't play anything that is PVP at all... 

All of the reviews and things I have read have definately pushed me away from wanting to try it for sure, so I doubt I ever will unless I have someone else to play it with me ) 

• joeldgjoeldg Member Posts: 2

Initially I did not want to play this because "FUNCOM" after my experience with them and how they entirely screwed up AoC. I could go on and on about how disappointed AoC ended up being, the starting area was amazing, but then we all got to end-game it went to hell and then they started listening to the whining in the forums and then all the fun that was in it (the hardcore stuff) was removed and then it was just a castrated version of what it was.. How many skill resets did we have, how many promises about the endgame.  

I didn't want that experience again, no matter how much I wanted to play a game, so I refused to try it. But after this had been out a while I decided to give it a try and see. And I will agree with everyone here, it is clunky and feels like it needs an update. Also, teaming up with people is almost pointless, so while leveling up it is empty, I would see one or two people each gaming session and they were busy running through content and sometimes we would both be after the same things so that makes you avoid people while leveling up.

Then my buddies who had played at launch and had already given it up told me about something new, so I moved on and unsubbed. 

From what I gather, that is what others have said about it as well.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

"Why don't more people play TSW?"

Has that question been answered adequately?  If not, what will it take?

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Rayshe

So why don't people give funcom a chance: They are butt hurt over conan.

This.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Robsolf

1. Age of Conan/Funcom haters
    2. Too steep a learning curve for deck system out of the gate
    3. Not enough prep for differences from the typical WoW-clone.
    4. Niche setting, i.e. "not fantasy"
    5. Thinking required
    6. Animations and/or builder/consumer, e.g. "combat suxxx" but see 2 above
    7. Endgame grind
    8. PvP
    9. Underpowered PCs trying to run on DX11 and high settings (esp. on Win8)

Things to make it better:

1. Better tutorials or beginner missions that explain how the system is different.  To be specific, better explanation of the "swiss-army knife" approach to deck building and tailoring your build to the obstacle (both in the PvE and PvP space)
    2. Revamped pre-made decks
    3. Animation improvements (but I think the people who say they would come back for this are overstating it)
    4. Better intro to PvP, along with gear/skill bracketing for matches
    5. Better matching of game settings to system spec
    6. More content!
  • avelarthavelarth Member UncommonPosts: 17

game is perfect, but exept these things;

graphic engine is too bad, no economy, agatha travelling is pointless and lagy, pvp system has notting right, end game is SOLID GRIND. 

• luro16luro16 Member Posts: 86

"If these games were bad, if these games were costing Funcom more money to run than they were worth,"

Untrue statement, disproven by a great many different businesses both inside and out the games industry.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

I enjoyed it for a short while, but it was a very short while indeed.

Too clunky has been said, and I'd to agree.

Some of the lore was great but some of it just kept stretching out... to the point of it being a watered down mess.  

I had amazingly high hopes for this game.  We have too few 'modern/futuristic' MMOs and too many fantasy (dragon/elf/dwarf or far east-anime inspired) games.  

I hope they can turn the game around, I really do.  

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    I really liked the story but that wasn't enough to keep me playing the game.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I don't play TSW because is was it was sub based and by the time it went B2P I had lost interest. I'm happy playing what I am and if I want to change it up, well, there are new mmorpgs on the horizon.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by yuri330
    Because PvP is dead and Templars dominate Fusang 24/7. And PvP is dead because it's probably seen as very mediocre. That is why I do not play Secret World.

TSW is PVE game , but pvp is very popular ,there are some pvp cabals too.

In main PvP battle group(acadia)  iluminates dominating coz, they are very good organized & use team work.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    After experiencing the horror that is ESO voice acting and dialogue, I actually have been playing this game again lately.  So refreshing to have NPCs that actually have character.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

You can divide MMO players into two types. Those that are prepared to stay in a MMO for a few to several months and those who will only stay for a few to several weeks.

The number who will stay for a few to several months is finite, they are spread over the several good MMOs out there. The ones who measure their time in weeks are always on the move and will not settle no matter how good the MMO is.

So building a playerbase and maintaining it in todays MMO market is a nearly impossible task.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    Originally posted by Robsolf

1. Age of Conan/Funcom haters
    2. Too steep a learning curve for deck system out of the gate
    3. Not enough prep for differences from the typical WoW-clone.
    4. Niche setting, i.e. "not fantasy"
    5. Thinking required
    6. Animations and/or builder/consumer, e.g. "combat suxxx" but see 2 above
    7. Endgame grind
    8. PvP
    9. Underpowered PCs trying to run on DX11 and high settings (esp. on Win8)

Things to make it better:

1. Better tutorials or beginner missions that explain how the system is different.  To be specific, better explanation of the "swiss-army knife" approach to deck building and tailoring your build to the obstacle (both in the PvE and PvP space)
    2. Revamped pre-made decks
    3. Animation improvements (but I think the people who say they would come back for this are overstating it)
    4. Better intro to PvP, along with gear/skill bracketing for matches
    5. Better matching of game settings to system spec
    6. More content!

I don't entirely disagree with the complaints; particularly 4...(I LOVE this genre.  And when this game's launch performance made a beeline to meh-town, it broke my heart.  If you forget combat, it does so many things so well...

But the things to make it better:

I don't think those things will significantly change how many people play this game.  Sure, more of the right content will make people play more often.  But pre-made decks, even if they're "20%" better than mine, which I consider to be pretty good, people will still be both frustrated and bored by combat. 

Animations?  not a big deal to me.

My system has zero problems running this game at a decent frame rate, and some core components are 5+ years old.

I don't care about PvP.

At the core, it's the combat system that's killing this game.  Not so much the skill wheel, but the idea that encounters should last 30-60 seconds, and should occur every couple minutes/hundred meters.  It would be poison to other MMO's, and in this game it's even worse.

• ElethonElethon Member UncommonPosts: 138
    I just can't stand the combat. It looks and feel awkward. 
  • MudHekketMudHekket Member UncommonPosts: 87

I loved running around blasting zombies in the modern town of Kingsmouth. Then I got to zone 2 and, while the towns were cool, the desert felt a bit like another fantasy game. When I got to zone 3, I realized that I had to do more dungeon grinding of dungeons I had already played through multiple times in order to get better gear. I may go back, but I don't feel like facing that dungeon grind, especially since you have to wait so long to find a team.