Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NDA is lifted, now we can chat!

Comments

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by Itherael

I believe you are understating his concerns. As several posts have depicted already, the problem is not merely that it's a standard themepark. Read his post once more and you will see that most of the problems stated are not inherent to the standard themepark model.

It looks like many of his points were that it was the same format, just with a new skin. Same quest hubs, same instanced pvp BG/arenas, same gather quests, and that made it boring.

How many themepark MMO's are there currently, that are very different than the above description, and therefore really fun to play?

• R.LimaR.Lima Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by Daessar

I believe you are understating his concerns. As several posts have depicted already, the problem is not merely that it's a standard themepark. Read his post once more and you will see that most of the problems stated are not inherent to the standard themepark model.

It looks like many of his points were that it was the same format, just with a new skin. Same quest hubs, same instanced pvp BG/arenas, same gather quests, and that made it boring.

How many themepark MMO's are there currently, that are very different than the above description, and therefore really fun to play?

The execution is what makes it boring. For instance, SWTOR has Kill X quests, but they are cleverly presented with impressive storytelling mechanics, thus giving the quests much needed context and making it far less boring. WoW's new content also makes use of some quite interesting quest mechanics and the lore itself is very rich and really present in-game. I thought the questing in WildStar to be far more boring than the questing in SWTOR and WoW, even though they are all themepark games. You need to take into account that the reason why you are doing something is just as important as what you are doing.

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

TLDR: It all just looked good on paper. Wildstar is trying to do more, but is falling short of what it wanted to do.

Based on the general feedback here, it's not looking too good for Wildstar. I was looking forward to this game and I had high hopes for it to be better, but it just isn't. I've played my fair share of themeparks which I have mostly played from launch (Wow:V to WOTLK, WAR, Aion, Rift, GW2, FFXIV), and  from what I have played of it (regular CB account since December), it simply doesn't stand out. Comparing it to those other games from my experience in the most general and basic way I can describe:

1. WoW - I haven't played since WOTLK, but i found WoW better. The action combat in Wildstar which made it a bit more unique didn't do it for me. The wit and charm in the promo videos also didn't make it in-game. It all just looked good on paper.
    2. WAR - I enjoyed the Scenarios in WAR more than in Wildstar. Granted, Wildstar's PVE is better.
    3. Aion - Aion felt more static and a lot more boring than Wildstar (but that's not much of a comparison). What Aion had better was the thrill in world PVP. Wildstar felt too safe.
    4. Rift - They are equally average in terms of questing. Wildstar's PVP is better. However, Rift had well, rifts, which felt innovative at that time. Wildstar has paths - which just feel like extra quests. Again, it just looked good on paper.
    5. GW2 - This felt closest to Wildstar minus the trinity. I hated that GW2 didn't have the trinity. I enjoyed the PVP in both games. I haven't tried the warplots, but GW2 at least had WvWvW.
    6. FFXIV - This is the classic theme park. There was nothing innovative in the game, it simply stuck to its roots and polished it. This closely resembles Wildstar somewhat minus a few attempts by Wildstar to be a bit more unique (action combat, warplots). And to Wildstar's credit, it actually has good PVP (FFXIV's PVP is laughable). Still, comparing the two, Wildstar felt too messy. Whereas FFXIV felt constricting and limited, it knew what it wanted to do, what it did best, and made those aspects good. In comparison, Wildstar is trying to do more, but is falling short of what it wanted to do.
  • DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204

I thought the questing in WildStar to be far more boring than the questing in SWTOR and WoW, even though they are all themepark games. 

I like the questing in all 3, outside of voiceover I think all 3 are similar enough though, and I would argue that if Wildstar had exactly the same "impressive storytelling mechanics" you like, I'd bet the review would still be the same,

"questing is exactly like Swtor and Wow, been done a million times......booooor-ing"

I still stand by my initial comment, that some people enjoy the game forums much more than they do the games. Every single game produces the exact same scenario on forums.

Hype, and people drooling on themselves

Speculation on the features

More hype and frenzy through beta

then as soon as the game nears launch, outpouring of hate and negativity and prophecies of doom.

• AzureblazeAzureblaze Member UncommonPosts: 130

The first time I played (1-14) I did everything, doing all quests plus all the path missions. This really slowed me down more than anything else, and could get tedious. I had to take breaks as it just got a bit too repetitive and felt slow.
    Some of it was fun for the Explorer path, but yes there was too many jumping puzzles. Rewards were sometimes good for the path, but not usually. Bags are great, but you can find decent bags from challenges / mob drops.

The second time I played 14-18(had less time) I stopped doing most of the path missions and also didn't do every single quest and I had a lot more fun. I noticed that quests in general start to open up a bit in the variety department around these levels, but it could still use more variety though imo.

I've only played Stalker so far, which I think is a pretty awesome class. I speced him a bit different and went mostly for crit, this made me a bit squishy in certain situations. The next time I try an Adventure I will likely throw in some more HP/Shield gear. When I did my first Adventure, it was a bit challenging not being a ranged DPS class. I actually died a few times because the amount of telegraphs in Adventures is pretty insane and I wasn't use to balancing DPS with mobility quite THAT much. Some of this could have had to do with the Healer not giving me enough love though I suppose.

I think the best way to play is to only do Path missions when you don't want to level very much, but want to do something different. Also, if you find you are doing a quest where the mobs are beneath your level, drop the quest and maybe go to the next "Hub" area. You will out-level the zone easily and then start taking an XP penalty on the mobs you are fighting if you do all the quests, especially if you have rested XP.

For what it's worth, as it stands now I will be buying this game.

Good luck everyone!

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Thought I was going to love it but ended up getting bored pretty fast. I have some RL friends that are going to play so I will still probably get it, but I feel the same thing will happen when they get me to play WoW again - I play for 2 weeks and then quit because I am sick of the same old shit.
  • AvulAvul Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by Daessar
    I've seen several people say the opposite too, that they didn't care as much for the early levels, but once they got past 20, they really enjoyed it much more. In my opinion it really comes down to people who enjoy this type of themepark MMO vs others who are looking for an MMO that is very different than a typical themepark. I believe some gamers enjoy hyping themselves up, and just talking on the forums about an upcoming game, more than they actually enjoy playing any certain game.

Nah.. it has nothing to do what I enjoy because I love themepark MMOs as I love sandbox MMOs. The problem is WildStar has nothing special to it. While leveling I asked myself so often why I should pay money and a monthly fee for it. I didn't come up with an idea. It feels like World of Warcraft in a different suit and with a different combat system. If I want a game like WoW I would play WoW. It's so bland.. not even the humour stands out. If I should describe the game with one word it would be: soulless

And yes.. right now I'm enjoying posting on the forums more than playing the game. Because playing it stopped making fun at a certain point. It feels like a chore. I thought it's getting better at max level because Carbine praises its Elder Game all over the place. Well.. if you like 20/40 man raiding and equally large warplots.. it will be okey I guess. But there's not much left for me. The dungeons are fine but nothing spectacular. The story in general and the story arcs in the adventures / dungeons are sub-par in my opinion. Feels like written by a 15-18 year old.

I know this sounds harsh. But I'm writing short stories myself and it's quite disappointing when a large company doesn't come up with better ideas and stories over a development phase of ~9 years. There are some flaws left I didn't listed like a huge lack of character customization options.. all in all it's definitely no game for me. I wish you future players luck and a fun time with WildStar. I'm sure there will be players who enjoy MOBAStar. ;)

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

I Hyped this game up SOOO much... Let me tell you...

When I finally got my Beta invite I was so freaking happy, played it during last years beta and had a blast.   Then the beta ended, they made some changes, I got into Star Wars and fell deep in love with that game.

Fast forward to the next round of beta test and I could not get myself to stay logged in longer then 30 mins... I don't know what it was, perhaps Star Wars ruined me, but I found myself forcing myself to try to play Wildstar.

Here are my gripes and many have been mentioned before:

1.  The UI... I feel like I am having a popup battle with this thing at times.. There are just to many things that are either all over your screen, flashing or popping up.  It is way to cluttered and I will not even talk about the stupid sprint bar's location....Talk about annoying...

2. The start up zones... I can honestly say these are perhaps some of the most boring and badly done zones I have ever played in a MMO.  I mean taking pictures?  And book hunting in a Library?... Really?...

3. The telegraphs... At first I thought this would bring a challenge to the game.  I mean I saw the instance dungeon videos and figured this is what I need in my life... But then you find yourself playing the telegraphs and not your character... PVP with telegraphs is ever worse, it is just a bunch of people running around and rolling there face on the keyboard.  I need a slower pace in my PVP, I want to be looking at the spell the player is casting so I can know what to do rather then looking at some red bar heading towards my feet....

Those are my three biggest gripes and sadly they are just to much for me to overcome.  I wanted to like Wildstar, needed to like Wildstar.  But after playing it, I cannot like Wildstar...

I crapped all over ESO last year and told everyone who would listen how WIldstar is the game to beat.... But now after seeing all these previews/reviews for ESO and having tried Wildstar.... looks like I will be joining ESO.... How is that for irony...

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

Originally posted by Tinybina

[...]

1.  The UI [...]

2. The start up zones [...]

3. The telegraphs... At first I thought this would bring a challenge to the game.  I mean I saw the instance dungeon videos and figured this is what I need in my life... But then you find yourself playing the telegraphs and not your character... PVP with telegraphs is ever worse, it is just a bunch of people running around and rolling there face on the keyboard.  I need a slower pace in my PVP, I want to be looking at the spell the player is casting so I can know what to do rather then looking at some red bar heading towards my feet....

[...]

I crapped all over ESO last year and told everyone who would listen how WIldstar is the game to beat.... But now after seeing all these previews/reviews for ESO and having tried Wildstar.... looks like I will be joining ESO.... How is that for irony...

100% agree. While the UI gets an overhaul and they plan to tweak the starting zones your third point and the last 2-3 sentences are so spot on for me. You're not playing your character.. you're playing the floor. I didn't enjoy PVP because it's literally a mode you can roll your face on the keyboard. It's not as "tactical" as some people in here claim to say. This is why I call it WildStare instead of WildStar.. you're staring at the ground the whole time instead of enjoying the environment and the battle itself. There is no reaction to certain moves of your enemy.. it's just your typical skill-rotation.

And your last passage gave me a good laugh because it's the same with me. I didn't care for ESO because the internet was so full of hate towards it. I didn't expect anything from it.. then I won a beta key and tried it because I had nothing else to do. Well.. I'm 99% sure I will be there for release. It's not the perfect MMO but much more fun for me in comparison to WildStar. Although it was a little bit awkward to explain it to my friends why I changed my mind.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Here is my take.

It is again the same, maybe 2.0, but still the same.

I haven't logged into a game to play for more than 30 minutes in over a year now, and that is why.

I think all the RPG has gone out of the balloon so to speak. Meh, let these young whippersnappers have a whack at it.

I am off to continue my new-old hobby of miniature tabletop wargames. I still look in and the forums, and apply for betas, but I am not expecting much.

Plus:I still hate NC for closing CoX.

• rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408

I think the posts in here made up my mind: next MMO is ESO. Funny because I actually really didn't like ESO when I first got into beta, expected WildStar to be my pick, but now am really loving ESO. 

I'm sure I'll check out WS in depth at some point, but not for some time. 

Originally posted by Four0Six

It is again the same, maybe 2.0, but still the same.

I haven't logged into a game to play for more than 30 minutes in over a year now, and that is why.

I think all the RPG has gone out of the balloon so to speak. Meh, let these young whippersnappers have a whack at it.

I am off to continue my new-old hobby of miniature tabletop wargames. I still look in and the forums, and apply for betas, but I am not expecting much.

This is exactly my problem. It isn't a MMO-ARRR-PEEE-GEEE. It's a watered-down game for the younger generations. Even the story itself appeals more to people between 12-20. NPCs are bland and have no real background.. not even the main story characters. You won't remember them after closing the quest dialogue. Who are all the talking heads around me and why am I doing all this? Meh.

@rmk70: I don't wanna manipulate you but if you're looking for a certain degree of immersion and story you should go with ESO. If you're a fan of games like League of Legends or World of Warcraft you can give WildStar a try.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by rmk70

I think the posts in here made up my mind: next MMO is ESO. Funny because I actually really didn't like ESO when I first got into beta, expected WildStar to be my pick, but now am really loving ESO. 

Pretty much the same story here. Reading through this thread has convinced me to pass WS in favor of ESO.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by deniter
    Originally posted by rmk70

Pretty much the same story here. Reading through this thread has convinced me to pass WS in favor of ESO.

I played in weekend betas for both and my actual play experience convinced me to pick up Wildstar and pass on ESO.  I suggest basing your decision on your actual experience as well.  However, to each their own I suppose.

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

I hate to admit this but I'm going to play ESO instead for however long until EQN anyways.

I was so excited for Wildstar, I even had a podcast which is still going on w/o me. But after playing it for a year, it's nothing special at all which has me sadden :(

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Tinybina

That's actually one of the problems for me too.  I want to see the world and the environments while I play, feel that im part of the world, just a little bit, but the game just smacks me and says " NO! you WILL stare at the ground or you DIE!!, Look at the dirt damn you!"

It feels to gamey to me, if that makes any sense

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    I dont plan on playing this game at all.  After seeing the latest 20 man raid video, it just confirms my reasoning for not playing this game.  The raid looked practically identical to WoW  but with Telegraphing BS in it.  Sorry but no thanks.  Been there, done that.  Not sure why people are so excited for this shit.  It looks terrible.  
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I won't go point by point but just give my opinion. This is the worst MMORPG I've played since Vanguard beta.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by meteoricone
    Originally posted by Ender4

I won't go point by point but just give my opinion. This is the worst MMORPG I've played since Vanguard beta.

Fantastic and constructive feedback.

If anybody was to make such a lame yet highly critical post regarding ESO the defenders would be all over it. I see it's fine in reverse :O

These formums :)

This isn't a forum for feedback on the game, this is a general discussion forum for the game. If you don't like people's opinion, the best thing to do is just not respond.

Plus, WildStar is pretty bad right now. If you read through this thread most posts are critical of the game in it's current state, and a lot of them actually are constructive anyway. 

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

combat is so hyped in this game i dont get it.. it's face your target and throw 1 of a 1000 aoe attacks and toss in a stun or a dodge yay...

anyways stalker class was cool but not worth the $ for a box and  a sub.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    [mod edit]

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

[mod edit]

ESO is not a good game either, I'm just giving an opinion. People probably don't care for my point by point opinion anyway but fine I'll give it.

Ugly graphics
    Linear gameplay
    Awful combat. Anything that didn't CC me was easy to just exploit kill and everything is AE.

It is everything that is wrong with the MMORPG genre right now rolled up into one game.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

If anybody was to make such a lame yet highly critical post regarding ESO the defenders would be all over it. I see it's fine in reverse :O 

These forums :)

The only reason it's fine in reverse is that, after having played the games, a lot of people like ESO well enough to want to defend it, and not very many people feel that way about Wildstar.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Originally posted by CazNeerg

These forums :)

The only reason it's fine in reverse is that, after having played the games, a lot of people like ESO well enough to want to defend it, and not very many people feel that way about Wildstar.

Yea I had that impression as well on the beta forums of WildStar. My thread there from some weeks ago exploded in the first 24 hours and even the guys who enjoy the game said that my criticisms are spot on. I'd like to know what a mess this section would be if there were equally player numbers in the WildStar beta as in the ESO one. I guess a lot of "hate" would roll over the WS General Discussion board.

• v_Vev_Ve Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    As cliche as it sounds, I would say that people who love WoW will probably like Wildstar, people who don't love WoW will probably not like Wildstar.

Maybe, 6 months ago if you had asked me about Wildstar and ESO I would have said for sure I"m buying Wildstar and I'm not sure about ESO now I'm sure about ESO and probably passing at least at launch on Wildstar.  The game isn't horrible but I found the reliance on quest hubs and overall feel of combat just didn't click with me.

I wish the game well as with FF XIV as this market needs strong healthy sub based games I just don't think it's going to click with me personally.

^^ this is me switched XP i was for eso and was most def gonna pass wildstar then after playing in cbt for a couple of weeks did a full 180 , from clunky combat to seeing that you were walking down a road that lead to boredom ( the end-game) i was just like no thank you lol

Witty & Wicked >:)