Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do people actually like this game?

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Come on OP

If you can't beat em.....  join em....

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Gavenda

I played the beta weekend, but really got bogged down by the  forced island tutorial, I kinda like to just jump in and  well....play.  An element that is actually a deal breaker  for me is no housing at launch and none  in the future.  I got the word from the staff a couple days ago.  For me, an MMO needs to be immersive and even practical, and housing  really helps make it that way. 

*snip*

You can skip tutorial island, I think you knew that....

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Yeah I totaly hate it now that OP told me everyone does.
  • InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

I was surprised that I was bored by the game. I dragged myself to 10 and couldn't play any longer, too boring. I don't know what it was, the stale combat system or the lackluster quests. 

To the people who love the game: good luck to you. I'm happy that your happy. For me, there are so...SO many choices, I can do anything I want. What I usually do is wait about 6 months to a year for the "First-nerd-herd"(tm) to tromp through the game and pioneer the content. Many will leave and the some will remain for new players like me.

• Mayor_HaggarMayor_Haggar Member Posts: 12
    I like the game, a lot. Played two beta weekends then decided to Preorder Imperial Ed. Im a fan of both TES but Ive always been an MMORPG gamer first and foremost. With collision detection possibly being implemented and the fact that Zenimax said their working on the phasing issue as it feels way too lonely atm is a huge plus. The skill and crafting system is amazing and PvP feels fun to me. The dungeons were also fun, I like that they still require some sort of holy trinity to complete. I am not expecting a hugely successful MMO and I only plan to play for a year-year 1/2 max before med school starts. If this game goes F2P ill opt out or if it becomes boring after a couple months i'll opt out. But no sense in hating this game because it doesnt have every single feature you want. Key to for me to being happy with the next MMO is to not have preconceptions or over the top expectations. Seems like Zenimax put out a decent MMO and that's all I've wanted for the past two years. Cheers
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Why is anyone responding to this thread? It's not even a discussion. In his mind he asked a rhetorical baiting question.  If he doesn't get it who gives a crap? 

There Is Always Hope!

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    I would also like my check.  BioWare should send me one too.

Someone here said yesterday that i am part of the Musco Brigade.

Eric, give me my damn pay for this month or i am suing you.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by WellzyC

I feel the exact same way as the OP.  I haven't enjoyed an MMO since 2004-5.

I love all the ridicules answers...

Why don't you just play an mmo that you like:   That's the problem, they are non that are not cash cow garbage. All the mmos out today are companies desperate to capture wow subscriptions, so they copy every aspect down from solo quest grinding to the same item colors.

Seems like you don't like MMos:    Actually no,  we played them when the genre was actually created, and we played the games that made them popular. We know what good mmos are, and can see a cash now mmo when we see one. post wow people don't know the difference.  Those games put the genre on the map.

Over saturation and desperate money grabs clouded out any hope for  MMOs to be what they were.

They were games made for people who enjoy Massively Multiplayer online Role playing games.   not Massively Solo Cutscene Voiceover games.

Preach!

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• MMO-RelicMMO-Relic Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by tixylix

I don't get the hype here, most people I know were bored before they even exited the tutorial. I played the first few islands before I quit, but I knew I hated how it didn't feel like a world, I mean the main series has loading screens, but at least it still felt persistent. On top of that though, it didn't feel like an Elder Scrolls game, it felt like an MMO with the best bits of The Elder Scrolls taken out of it. I always thought the series was the perfect game waiting turn be turned into an MMO, but that was because it got rid of all the shit parts of MMOs. All they've seemed to do however is just made a worse WoW like all the other MMOs that have come since, only this time the combat is so bad it isn't even funny. 

Just like Titanfall, there seems to be so much hype from the press, yet I know no one who actually likes it. They've basically turned a sandbox into a theme park. It isn't a proper MMO, it is all instanced and split up behind hundreds of loading screens, there is no world feeling and this is a disturbing trend in the genre. It isn't an Elder Scrolls game, it doesn't feel open, the quests are all boring, the combat is somehow worse and it doesn't feel like a sandbox or open like Elder Scrolls games do. Who does this appeal to? It's like a mash up of all the worst things about MMOs, the last good one was 2004 and that was WoW, since then it is like no one has come close, they all miss the point. I used to love the genre with SWG, EVE, WoW, EQ, PS... now it just feels like all ambition has gone, all innovation has gone, the open world has gone, they're creating games now, not worlds. To me an MMO is a world, if it loses that feeling, it isn't massive, it's an online game.

Just give me coop Elder Scrolls instead, all I really wanted any ways.

Do you get out much? Read the forums much? Or was this post reposted from 3 years ago? Maybe you work for the ANTI MMO conglomerate? This isn't a self opinion, but a trolling to try to convince the masses how boring a game is based on, nothing. Every point you made is opposite of what is actually the reality, from reality.

I'm such a fool to fall for Troll posts, even ones as blatantly obvious as this one. :P

Acolytes Gaming (forums.acolytesgaming.com)

Sheep or Shepard- Make up your own damn mind.

It is true, the older you get, the less patience you have for those who watch a Youtube video and from that believe they know it all.

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151

Never trust gaming forums, that's all I am gonna say for you!

For the people who commented, it is ironic how some of you try to give him leassons in respect and few minutes later trash-talk Guild Wars 2. Mature up and stop that ''We are ESO fans and we hate Gw2'' trend, something we have seen with every single MMO release since Gw2.

When gamers start to realize that they can play multiple games and enjoy them, it would be a great day cause so far, people have weird idea that they have to be fanbois to a game and kill all the other ''threats'' something that creates all those flaming gaming communties.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

I don't get the hype here, most people I know were bored before they even exited the tutorial. I played the first few islands before I quit, but I knew I hated how it didn't feel like a world, I mean the main series has loading screens, but at least it still felt persistent. On top of that though, it didn't feel like an Elder Scrolls game, it felt like an MMO with the best bits of The Elder Scrolls taken out of it. I always thought the series was the perfect game waiting turn be turned into an MMO, but that was because it got rid of all the shit parts of MMOs. All they've seemed to do however is just made a worse WoW like all the other MMOs that have come since, only this time the combat is so bad it isn't even funny. 

Just like Titanfall, there seems to be so much hype from the press, yet I know no one who actually likes it. They've basically turned a sandbox into a theme park. It isn't a proper MMO, it is all instanced and split up behind hundreds of loading screens, there is no world feeling and this is a disturbing trend in the genre. It isn't an Elder Scrolls game, it doesn't feel open, the quests are all boring, the combat is somehow worse and it doesn't feel like a sandbox or open like Elder Scrolls games do. Who does this appeal to? It's like a mash up of all the worst things about MMOs, the last good one was 2004 and that was WoW, since then it is like no one has come close, they all miss the point. I used to love the genre with SWG, EVE, WoW, EQ, PS... now it just feels like all ambition has gone, all innovation has gone, the open world has gone, they're creating games now, not worlds. To me an MMO is a world, if it loses that feeling, it isn't massive, it's an online game.

Just give me coop Elder Scrolls instead, all I really wanted any ways.

Its not the game, its the Hero engine concept, that is just, what it is.

I fell over that in SWTOR already, no way im going the same path in ESO.

ArcheAge waiting ^^

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by eGumball

since Gw2.

you must be new to internet, son

• AvulAvul Member Posts: 196

greenreen you're disgusting. How is it possible to NOT like steaks?

On topic: Yes Mr. OP, I really enjoyed the beta and I'll play it at release. After all the hate I was glad to finally try it myself.. wasn't interested in an ES game. Never played Skyrim or Oblivion.. just Morrowind back in the days.

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

• rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244
    I guess the standards of the genre have slipped, just don't get this new generation of gamer who likes this shit. It isn't even a proper MMO, sad, I guess all the people who would have agreed left of boredom from this site years ago, mainly due to the lack of anything from the genre.

Man i really don't get it if you don't like the game it okay but why do you have to Insult Gamers and Games

IF YOU DON"T LIKE SOMETHING DON"T PLY IT

• rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244
    Originally posted by Righteous_Rock
    It's funny when people are so confused. Did you know that people are hired to come to Web pages like this and hype up games? You played it and your scratching your head because you blatantly can tell the game is horrible yet people are talking like it's great. Well you can stop scratching, those folks are paid to come onto forums and hype the game up. Just keep your money and in a few months to a year you can play it for free.

And DId You Know That There Are People who are hired and get paid to bash Games

(not reffering to You AT ALLLLLLL)

just because u dont like it you dont have to insult You does

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Got yet another weekend beta invite (the 4th or 5th?). And yet again, I won't bother to even launch the game. Had enough of its dull, clunky and so-not-TES mechanics the first time I tried it.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244
    I Hate it and like it at the same time. I hate it for how its been translated to a MMO I think they have dissected to much of ES games I have loved for many years. But as I have been without a MMO for a while now and the ones im looking forward too are a long long way off. If I look at it as just another MMO and take away my feelings about elder scrolls then its not a bad MMO so I may paly for a little while.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer
    Got yet another weekend beta invite (the 4th or 5th?). And yet again, I won't bother to even launch the game. Had enough of its dull, clunky and so-not-TES mechanics the first time I tried it.

Oh good, now there will be one less timewaster in the login queue keeping me from Tamriel !

Yet another beta weekend, and I will struggle again to stop myself leveling past L10. I don't want to spoil my game play for after launch, but it's soooooo tempting, lol

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

Oh good, now there will be one less timewaster in the login queue keeping me from Tamriel !

Yet another beta weekend, and I will struggle again to stop myself leveling past L10. I don't want to spoil my game play for after launch, but it's soooooo tempting, lol

I didn't even boot the game last weekend because i didn't want to ruin it come release but i see no way of holding out this weekend. I just hope i can minimise my playtime. Or i am thinking of making some character in an Alliance which i know i will never play after launch so that it don't ruin the magic :)

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Funny how I get called a troll... like no, that word is thrown around so much these days, it has lost all meaning. I'm just saying I do not know any one in my group of friends who likes it, every one I speak to says it has butchered what made TES great and is just another boring MMO but without the world. Very much like SWTOR in that respect, only SWTOR had good combat, probably the best since WoW until patch 1.2 ruined it. There was the slight ability delay, but once that was sorted it would have been very tight. The combat in this game though is terrible, I do not understand why any one would want to play PVP with it, never will be competitive at all. 

It is not a persistent world, therefore it isn't an MMO, but we see this a lot now where games will be so instanced and zoned up, there will only be like 100 players per zone and it is called massive. Like no, SWG was massive, EVE was massive, PS was massive, EQ pre Luclin and PoP was massive and so was UO. Even WoW which is credited as killing all creativity in the genre launched as one of the best MMOs and the most polished by far. It was massive, they did a seamless world where you actually had to travel with no loading screens and every single person could be in the same area at the same time. Does any one remember all the city raids and crazy world pvp like Tarren Mill vs Southshore before BGs came in and ruined the game?

TESO is not an MMO and it isn't an Elder Scrolls game.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

OP's first line - "most people I know"

I think you just need to accept that different people or groups of friends, can often have significant differences in their likes and dislikes.

Your title suggests that it's hard for you to understand why people like the game. Well people do. People will like other games that aren't to your taste.

People will also dislike games that you really like.

Nothing new in this.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by WellzyC

I feel the exact same way as the OP.  I haven't enjoyed an MMO since 2004-5.

I love all the ridicules answers...

Why don't you just play an mmo that you like:   That's the problem, they are non that are not cash cow garbage. All the mmos out today are companies desperate to capture wow subscriptions, so they copy every aspect down from solo quest grinding to the same item colors.

Seems like you don't like MMos:    Actually no,  we played them when the genre was actually created, and we played the games that made them popular. We know what good mmos are, and can see a cash now mmo when we see one. post wow people don't know the difference.  Those games put the genre on the map.

Over saturation and desperate money grabs clouded out any hope for  MMOs to be what they were.

They were games made for people who enjoy Massively Multiplayer online Role playing games.   not Massively Solo Cutscene Voiceover games.

You might have a point if you didn't try and say, only post WOW gamers enjoy MMOs that release today. It's simply not true, if you can't understand that I have a hard time believing you understand half of the other stuff you wrote above.

For starters do you not understand that it's often what follows the onset of a trend that becomes the actual formula of that trend? As it's then that it starts to garner mass appeal and the real trend setters appear? Games like M59, EQ and UO were more or less prototypes for a genre, not the start of a genre, as those devs had no clue what would result from their ideas. These games weren't the trend setters, WOW and what followed it were.

It was also around this time that the actual MMORPG genre was born and the focus on a set game-play criteria began. AS even those who created those early games started focusing on a more focused experience. BE it EQ devs, UO devs, DAOC devs, AC devs, etc, etc. EQ and WOW were fairly similar experiences yet they were developed along side one another. AC2 was far more linear than it's first incarnation, UO devs moved all over the industry and worked on many of the titles we saw between 04-the present. THe same goes for many of those early studios. Few held onto those old philosophies used in games like UO or EQ. SO tell me who was it that moved this genre in this direction? Was it not many who pioneered it? It was everyone who was working on AAA MMO's between 02 and 05 that moved into this general direction of gameplay and experience, it's where they wanted to take the genre they "created".

Consider this before trying to claim some superior knowledge of the genre, it's beginnings or why and when it branched into a certain direction. It didn't just start with Blizzard devs, SOE and turbine devs are a prime example of studios moving in the same direction at the same time. WOW simply released during the sweet-spot of that transition.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• HabitualFrogStompHabitualFrogStomp Member UncommonPosts: 370

Funny how I get called a troll... like no, that word is thrown around so much these days, it has lost all meaning. I'm just saying I do not know any one in my group of friends who likes it, every one I speak to says it has butchered what made TES great and is just another boring MMO but without the world. Very much like SWTOR in that respect, only SWTOR had good combat, probably the best since WoW until patch 1.2 ruined it. There was the slight ability delay, but once that was sorted it would have been very tight. The combat in this game though is terrible, I do not understand why any one would want to play PVP with it, never will be competitive at all. 

It is not a persistent world, therefore it isn't an MMO, but we see this a lot now where games will be so instanced and zoned up, there will only be like 100 players per zone and it is called massive. Like no, SWG was massive, EVE was massive, PS was massive, EQ pre Luclin and PoP was massive and so was UO. Even WoW which is credited as killing all creativity in the genre launched as one of the best MMOs and the most polished by far. It was massive, they did a seamless world where you actually had to travel with no loading screens and every single person could be in the same area at the same time. Does any one remember all the city raids and crazy world pvp like Tarren Mill vs Southshore before BGs came in and ruined the game?

Really really long way to say you don't like instancing or the combat system, which is the theme since your OP.

No kidding, I don't like instancing. I don't believe the combat system is the greatest thing ever designed either.

But I still LOVE the game. You're not getting your head around the fact that things that are game breakers for you, may be other people's preference or just may not matter enough to discount the other awesome things about this game.

Yes a lot of people like the game, a lot of people will like the game if they go into it with an open mind, and allow the game to be what it is. You want the game to be something else entirely than what it is, which always leads to disappointment. That's what were seeing here in your post and this is the main thing that leads to MMO bitterness.

The game isn't going to conform to you, if this or that system is too much of a liability for you, move on.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

Well, tastes are different and I like ESO. Why do you think that I need to justify it? I too played and liked EQ but no way I'd play something as grindy these days. I don't know for how long ESO will last for me, maybe only a few months, but let me ask this - why do you hate one game so much that you want to convince everyone else how bad it is? Better just ignore it.