Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Feelings About Friend List Showing User ID?

135

Comments

  • AeonbladesAeonblades Home, GAPosts: 2,083Member

    People that still use social networking sites put far more information out to far more people every day than one screen name on a video game ever will.

    If you are complaining about this, and you have a Facebook account, Twitter account, whatever social backwash watcher you prefer to use, that is far worse than having a screen name be visible in a video game.

     

    /thread

    Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

  • Allacore69Allacore69 Casselberry, FLPosts: 839Member


    Originally posted by Knotwood
    Originally posted by Allacore69 As a matter of fact I believe this is the first time this topic has come up for any game.
    STO had this problem too when it launched, I think the voices were loud, but considering the customer service of that game, it fell on deaf ears... and slowly it went away as all the people went away shortly after release.

     

    Wow had it even worse, they were going to release peoples addresses on the forums with their REAL ID.

     

    Only two I know that had this issue, since every other game never showed your username or personal details.



    Wait now. DCUO, SWTOR, GW2, even Wildstar, has show account options.

    Now nobody complained when these games did it.

    City of Heros/Villians had the option as well. Champions too.

    image

  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member
    Originally posted by Vonatar

    I like that I don't have to go through the hassle of having alts invited to guilds, put on other people's friends' lists etc. It promotes community a little better and, as has been said, no hiding on an alt to talk smack.

     

    Why people choose their real names for online accounts, or stupid/offensive account names I'll never understand.

     

    A friend of mine bought Minecraft using his real name as his account name. :-)

     

    I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member
    Originally posted by smokeybha

    What I don't understand is... They use the username thing, yet don't go further and tie it completely in so you can name your character the same as someone else. Like Cryptic does with Champions Online. I like that system, but it needs to be very clear when you are making your account that this is whats happening. 

    It makes naming so much easier as time goes on and names fill up. I understand you can use spaces and such. It just boggled me that they went with the username system, yet didn't make it anymore useful other than having a global friends list. 

     

    Yeah, Cryptic was pretty clear about your character name being "character@username" or something similar.  Personally, I think this is a good way to do things.  I like the idea of players having some sort of global identity, and at the same time having lots of choices.  I think there needs to be a little more to it than that, like allowing players to join multiple guilds and giving some benefit to lower level characters if a player has some max level characters.

     

    At the same time, I think some measure of anonymity is also fine.  Mostly because people can be real d!cks when they get into games and it's not outside the realm of possibility that someone has every character on their account trolled if it's easy to identify all the characters.

     

    I guess my conclusion is that it doesn't really matter all that much.  There are pros and cons for either method.  ESO is having a single server, so hopefully naming conflicts will be handled by appending the account name or something, and hopefully there will be a warning when signing up that the account name will be visible inside the game for people who may not want to use their real name as they normally do.

     

    Overall, I give it a .  More important stuff to think about.

     

    I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

  • DAS1337DAS1337 Parma, OHPosts: 2,404Member
    Originally posted by Velocinox
    WHY did you put bacon ice cream on your poll?? I wanted to answer seriously, and then I saw that.

    Because people just have to try and be funny, no matter the situation, and trick people with the intelligence of a small dog into doing something that they didn't intend to do in the first place.  You know.. Hey boy, go fetch!  Or.. hey woman, look at this shiny rock!  =P

  • Lucid108Lucid108 RothburyPosts: 36Member

    I don't like being stalked online, or offline.

     

    I'm much happier when I choose who I share my details with not when a random company decide who gets my personal information.

  • HrothaHrotha -Posts: 821Member

    Security is an illusion. Such as privacy is an illusion.

    Time for people to understand. And that there is nothing to fear other than the miscreations of each individual, who want to keep it silent, but then getting it all uncovered by such means. This is not the fault of truth, it is obviously theirs. Truth simply is. One of the most powerful realization you can come across.

    In general: Those who want the highest security are the ones who the most detrimental things going on.

    image

  • ErdaErda Posts: 147Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DamonVile

    The internet has too much anonymity as it is. Not being able to switch to your troll character is a good thing for the game and community. 

    The people I want on my friends list I'd like to have all their characters on it....because we're actually friends and have nothing to hide. The people I put on my ignore list I'd want all their characters on it.

    You do have a point although I have a slightly different point of view.

    I've never had a "troll" character since I don't troll.  I've had my bank/auction house mules and I've rolled up some "I want to play alone characters."  I prefer that both sets of characters be anonymous ones.  Although I am a social person, sometimes I just want to log on and do my own thing without feeling obligated to socialize.  Now you sort of lose that option.  Anyway, not a huge deal to me either way.  It will be easy to track down friends.  I tend to have a stable of alts so they can find me a bit easier as well.

  • DogblasterDogblaster PraguePosts: 491Member
    I like it, alteast if I ignore or group up with some jerk I know who he is even if he play different character. This is 10000x better than having to add characters into the friend list.
  • HoodwynHoodwyn Verdun, QCPosts: 3Member Common
    Originally posted by lizardbones
    Originally posted by smokeybha

    What I don't understand is... They use the username thing, yet don't go further and tie it completely in so you can name your character the same as someone else. Like Cryptic does with Champions Online. I like that system, but it needs to be very clear when you are making your account that this is whats happening. 

    It makes naming so much easier as time goes on and names fill up. I understand you can use spaces and such. It just boggled me that they went with the username system, yet didn't make it anymore useful other than having a global friends list. 

     

    Yeah, Cryptic was pretty clear about your character name being "character@username" or something similar.  Personally, I think this is a good way to do things.  I like the idea of players having some sort of global identity, and at the same time having lots of choices.  I think there needs to be a little more to it than that, like allowing players to join multiple guilds and giving some benefit to lower level characters if a player has some max level characters.

     

    At the same time, I think some measure of anonymity is also fine.  Mostly because people can be real d!cks when they get into games and it's not outside the realm of possibility that someone has every character on their account trolled if it's easy to identify all the characters.

     

    I guess my conclusion is that it doesn't really matter all that much.  There are pros and cons for either method.  ESO is having a single server, so hopefully naming conflicts will be handled by appending the account name or something, and hopefully there will be a warning when signing up that the account name will be visible inside the game for people who may not want to use their real name as they normally do.

     

    Overall, I give it a .  More important stuff to think about.

    I'm all for global identity also but no way should that global identity be your login id. They should have your login id to login and then have you select a global identity name.

     

     

  • KilrainKilrain Prineville, ORPosts: 684Member Uncommon

    It's not any more a security risk than your email or most message board logins. Use a secure password and no untrusted 3rd party software. 

    The other concerns, I like it. If you decide to make several characters you can still be reached by your friends. One factor that I like about it is a players inability to create separate personas. For instance a player can have one character that everyone likes and another that roleplays a douchebag. With this method that player wouldn't be able to do that and get away with it. Now if that players wants separate personas, he must get a second account.

    professional web programming and design.

  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko RotterdamPosts: 3,845Member Uncommon

    I strongly dislike this policy. If you must have a global identity, then keep that separate from the account name.

     

    ZOS may well pay for this in the long run if the login servers are frequently hit with brute force password attacks. The goldsellers need disposable accounts, and if they can harvest real account names ingame, all they have to do is match the passwords.

  • PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,289Member Uncommon
    I think the biggest problems with 'Global identities' is that it allows players to harass each other far easier.  Just imagine you encounter someone in game, they behave like an idiot, perhaps steal a kill you had been busy on, or just generally behave like a total jerk, every game has them after all. If you wanted to you could easily follow them around and do the same to them, or get a few of your friends to help you do the same thing, and if they log out and log in on a different toon, you just carry on with that one instead. Global identities are great, for griefers image
  • ScotScot UKPosts: 5,762Member Uncommon

    This also applies to guild chat were your ID will show not character name.

    There are so many reasons this is not a good idea, I am not even going to address that. Lets look at why MMOs think it is a good idea.

    MMOs want to become a social network and that means they need the real you not a handful of toons. User ID is as close as they can come, for now. Remember as I always say, everything we have seen in gaming has happened in stages. We did not go from P2P to a F2P p2w and gambling in one go. So how many years do you think before your real name is going to be used? Its the real you they need to create a real social media game and that's what they will keep pushing towards.

    I should not need to tell you why making any game a social media experience is important to the company that makes it. But lets look at more evidence of this. You can only be in five guilds and each toon will be in them all, you can't pick and choose. They are treating gamers like atoms, smash them together enough and the game may go viral.

  • somebody2somebody2 ellijay, GAPosts: 11Member
    Well i guess i'll just play solo and wright down the names of my game friends, and the best gear sellers in each town. Or could just not play if it's not changed haven't pre-ordered yet :)
  • TalemireTalemire Clearwater, FLPosts: 756Member

    Still awaiting an email response to my email response to their email response. How many days should I give them before I call them? Not that I'm impatient about it or anything, but I just don't want my ticket to get lost in the pile only to be found weeks later.

    Edit: It is definitely good to know that a chunk of you like bacon ice cream lol. I've seen it, but have never tried it.

    ------------------------------
    MMORPGs are great to look forward to after a hard day of work, but heaven is the ultimate reward for those who live Christ-like.

    image
  • KrigerKriger Helena, MTPosts: 34Member
    Originally posted by somebody2
    Well i guess i'll just play solo and wright down the names of my game friends, and the best gear sellers in each town. Or could just not play if it's not changed haven't pre-ordered yet :)

    I was thinking along those same lines. I do still intend to play though. I did end up changing my password to something ridiculous. l remember there being a snafu with TOR pushing something along these lines with the login name, also contributing to my not returning to that game, though I have forgotten the specifics of it.

    This space reserved for pithy comment.

  • DignaDigna City, CTPosts: 2,014Member Uncommon

    On one hand I like the idea and on the other I hate it.

    During the beta there were a few (perhaps 5-6 over the last 2 weekends) people who were really acting like jackasses. When I put them on ignore I was quite happy to see that they were blocked by account (presumably since the account was the value showing, all characters were blocked?).

    That said, while I always end up meeting a few people in every game and generally enjoy hanging out some of the time, I like to have my 'alt' time where I hang by myself and solo craft/quest.

    If a friends list shows the account level I assume anyone who has you as a friend can see you on any alt?

  • KnotwoodKnotwood Missoula, MTPosts: 1,103Member
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

    I strongly dislike this policy. If you must have a global identity, then keep that separate from the account name.

     

    ZOS may well pay for this in the long run if the login servers are frequently hit with brute force password attacks. The goldsellers need disposable accounts, and if they can harvest real account names ingame, all they have to do is match the passwords.

    I never thought of this, but it does in fact give hackers an entire DOS attack list to use on the ESO log in website, and could easlily crash the mega servers doing it.

  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko RotterdamPosts: 3,845Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Digna

    On one hand I like the idea and on the other I hate it.

    During the beta there were a few (perhaps 5-6 over the last 2 weekends) people who were really acting like jackasses. When I put them on ignore I was quite happy to see that they were blocked by account (presumably since the account was the value showing, all characters were blocked?).

    That said, while I always end up meeting a few people in every game and generally enjoy hanging out some of the time, I like to have my 'alt' time where I hang by myself and solo craft/quest.

    If a friends list shows the account level I assume anyone who has you as a friend can see you on any alt?

    All members of all the guilds you belong to can also see whenever you're online, because you join a guild by account, not by character.

    So be careful when you let a roommate or a family member play on your account. You can't let them play "invisibly" on some random alt...

  • KnotwoodKnotwood Missoula, MTPosts: 1,103Member
    Originally posted by Talemire

    Still awaiting an email response to my email response to their email response. How many days should I give them before I call them? Not that I'm impatient about it or anything, but I just don't want my ticket to get lost in the pile only to be found weeks later.

    Edit: It is definitely good to know that a chunk of you like bacon ice cream lol. I've seen it, but have never tried it.

    Like I said, it took me a week. Give them until next tue.  hopefully they do it before Friday starts, cause every beta, they are bogged down.

  • TalemireTalemire Clearwater, FLPosts: 756Member
    Woot! They went ahead and made the changes. That said, I encourage everyone participating in this thread who does not feel comfortable with their User ID being shown to request a change if necessary.

    ------------------------------
    MMORPGs are great to look forward to after a hard day of work, but heaven is the ultimate reward for those who live Christ-like.

    image
  • Allacore69Allacore69 Casselberry, FLPosts: 839Member


    Originally posted by Talemire
    Woot! They went ahead and made the changes. That said, I encourage everyone participating in this thread who does not feel comfortable with their User ID being shown to request a change if necessary.


    Or just change it in chat settings so it does not show your account name.


    DUH

    You went through all that trouble for nothing. Sad.

    image

  • dave6660dave6660 New York, NYPosts: 2,543Member Uncommon

    Once you gather a bunch of user id's... here are the 10 most common passwords:

    1. 123456
    2. password
    3. 12345678
    4. qwerty
    5. abc123
    6. 123456789
    7. 111111
    8. 1234567
    9. iloveyou
    10. adobe123
    How many accounts out of every 100 do you think you'd compromise?

    “There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

  • KrigerKriger Helena, MTPosts: 34Member
    Originally posted by Allacore69

     


    Originally posted by Talemire
    Woot! They went ahead and made the changes. That said, I encourage everyone participating in this thread who does not feel comfortable with their User ID being shown to request a change if necessary.

     


    Or just change it in chat settings so it does not show your account name.


    DUH

    You went through all that trouble for nothing. Sad.

    I'm still fairly certain that changes your chatlog so you see other people's char names and not their account names. Granted I'm not 100% positive and cannot check until this weekend

    This space reserved for pithy comment.

Sign In or Register to comment.