Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW: The Least Rewarding $15 a Month in the Genre?

XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

If you look at what you can get for $15 a month in many other MMO's, it's amazing that people still feel good about what they get for their monthly sub in WoW.

For example, if you sub to Rift you get treated like a king and really feel like Trion appreciates your $15.   Among other things, you get daily, weekly, and monthly bonuses, currency to use in the cash shop and pretty much any game related service is included (ie. realm transfers). 

The same goes for SWTOR.  Paying a sub in SWTOR gets you a lot of perks along the way but also includes the DLC / expansion content and even early access to many features.

Now look at WoW, you pay $15 a month and it includes absolutely nothing but the right to play the game, you still have to buy the core game and the latest expansion in order to get to level cap.   On top of that, you're looking at additional costs for pretty much any game related services including realm transfers ($25?!?!), name changes, race changes, etc.  

I've played WoW since launch but I'm really starting to feel like Blizz is simply milking the remaining player base as opposed to showing any appreciation for their business.   

Look at WoD, we essentially played through most of the zones 7 years ago yet somehow we're supposed to get excited to play through them again and while we're at it, cough up another $50-$70 to do so. 

I appreciate the cost involved with building a quality MMO but we're seeing plenty of other developers who are able to provide AAA quality games without having to nickel and dime us on every little thing.   Look at ANet, they put out an amazing amount of quality content for a one-time purchase price.   

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Having been a long term subscriber to Anarchy for the same monthly fee, I can tell you that there are far worse companies than Blizzard when it comes to earning their fees.  Of course, Blizzard isn't the best either. No matter where you stand, someone's going to have greener grass to stand on. The flip side is that there are others who will  have a dead lawn.

Ultimately, if you enjoy your time in WoW, then play it and be happy. Otherwise, try one of those other MMOs. It may be that they give out those perks to subscribers because they have to. And it may be that the game of WoW itself is a better perk than someone else's bonus points.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

I would not use Anet as a shining example of quality content on a one time purchase. The servers are barren compared to where they were a year ago and the Living Story updates have been complained about more than nearly every other aspect of the game.

That being said, WoW is very rewarding if you sub 1 or 2 months at a time. In 1.5 months I got to max level again and fully raid geared, and was done until WoD releases. The game is great in small spurts of entertainment value, but does not deliver on staying power like it once did.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Their content cycle is unacceptable for the amount of money they rake in.

I'm convinced the player base either doesn't care or are unaware of how lacking it really is.

• TownfoolTownfool Member UncommonPosts: 15
    The $15 sub goes to cover the expense of writing new Chuck Norris jokes...
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

One additional problem is that there is little variety in the MMORPG market right now - it's all very WoW-like. Blizzard probably think that players will choose WoW over others because they are already invested into the game.

I think the answer is to support new games that are coming out, which will use more up-to-date technology, such as Elite: Dangerous, and then play Star Citizen after that.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Alders

Their content cycle is unacceptable for the amount of money they rake in.

I'm convinced the player base either doesn't care or are unaware of how lacking it really is.

They either use it as a replacement for twitter with their friends list, are chasing food pellets on the raid hamster wheel or are hoping to get a chance to jump on the hamster wheel with a guild that can progress.  

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by Xssiv

If you look at what you can get for $15 a month in many other MMO's, it's amazing that people still feel good about what they get for their monthly sub in WoW.

For example, if you sub to Rift you get treated like a king and really feel like Trion appreciates your $15.   Among other things, you get daily, weekly, and monthly bonuses, currency to use in the cash shop and pretty much any game related service is included (ie. realm transfers). 

The same goes for SWTOR.  Paying a sub in SWTOR gets you a lot of perks along the way but also includes the DLC / expansion content and even early access to many features.

Now look at WoW, you pay $15 a month and it includes absolutely nothing but the right to play the game, you still have to buy the core game and the latest expansion in order to get to level cap.   On top of that, you're looking at additional costs for pretty much any game related services including realm transfers ($25?!?!), name changes, race changes, etc.  

I've played WoW since launch but I'm really starting to feel like Blizz is simply milking the remaining player base as opposed to showing any appreciation for their business.   

Look at WoD, we essentially played through most of the zones 7 years ago yet somehow we're supposed to get excited to play through them again and while we're at it, cough up another $50-$70 to do so. 

I appreciate the cost involved with building a quality MMO but we're seeing plenty of other developers who are able to provide AAA quality games without having to nickel and dime us on every little thing.   Look at ANet, they put out an amazing amount of quality content for a one-time purchase price.   

No matter what you say, there will be more players playing WOD even if it cost 100+ dollars than RIFT for free. WoW is just better game, one of the best mmorpg even tho I dont play it anymore. But thats how it is.

• darkheart84darkheart84 Member UncommonPosts: 84

The issue with WoW is those millions of players don't want to see their life's work go to waste, and so they keep breeding in that old game and getting their offspring to play that game. This is the curse that is inflicted upon playing MMORPGs for extended periods of time - you either keep wasting away at that one game or quit and forfeit the years you spent on it, the life you built on the virtual world.

Kill the child, I say, let the man be born.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Relative to the other games that wanted to charge me $15 a month, I've gotten much more enjoyment out of WoW.  In general it's been a better expenditure of money.  This summer I'll probably plunk down another $15 and spend a month getting my toons to 90 and then next winter break I might buy WoD if it goes on sale.  I've reached the point that I'm not going to pay a lot for the license to use code.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Ok, well you're basically comparing apples to oranges here. WoW is a sub-game, both SWTOR and Rift are F2P games with a subscription option and GW2 is a B2P with a cash shop option. 

Basically, what do you feel WoW could give you on a monthly basis that would make you feel like they wanted you there? 

Do you realize that everything that Rift and SWTOR give you as subscription "Bonuses" are things that would be in their core game had they not transitioned to F2P? The fact that you get access to the Auction house is not a great feat. The fact that you get "free" cash shop money isn't a big deal because WoW doesn't have a cash shop. You can get the exact same things as everyone else. In F2P games, they NEED to offer some value in their memberships or there is no incentive to subscribe. However, there is no differentiation in WoW. There is no sub player and f2p player. Everyone has the same game experience.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

I dont play WOW, but for the 15$ month thing..........

The reward is cheap entertainment. Not much out there in this world you can get for 50 cents per day.

Perks you speak of in other games are to "bribe" players to pay, older games didnt need to bribe their player base ;)

And the largest perk I can think of for a sub game that many have played for years............ simple:

1) friends and community

2) wealth and items you have collected

3) harder to start over on a new game as a noob

4) Even harder to give up your first MMORPG, its always the best one no matter how much it sucks (not saying WOW sucks).

But seriously 15/month is cheap as hell. I dont see the problem unless the game completely sucks or people are just cheap.

F2P in most cases is just a crutch to try to salvage a crap game. Example:

SWTOR lost more players in the shortest time in MMORPG history. They go F2P and millions more flock to the game. If the game sucked before when it was sub game, going f2p didnt make it a better game. Just allowed you to play free. Free isnt always better, you get what you pay for. SWTOR is plagued with restrictions and limits, its not free ;)

I never played WOW as i was heavy into my MMO and was never going to switch (until they shut it down lol) but if i did get into WOW i would probably still be there and not think twice of moving to another. As WOW will probably still be around a decade from now. So 15$ is not a issue there are many more perks that i can get than digital trinkets that are usually very trivial.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

There is a sad reality when it comes to this:

Activision and Kotick paid $8 billion to take control of Blizzard. They have to make that money back and that gonna require some serious milking.

Just look at Blizzards action's, pretty obvious isn't it?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

No matter what you say, there will be more players playing WOD even if it cost 100+ dollars than RIFT for free. WoW is just better game, one of the best mmorpg even tho I dont play it anymore. But thats how it is.

In your opinion, yes;)

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by laserit

Activision and Kotick paid $8 billion to take control of Blizzard. They have to make that money back and that gonna require some serious milking.

Blizzard had $12 Billion in assets just sitting in a bank earning interest, and that's just Blizzard by itself.  I don't think they're hurting for money.

I would much rather pay $15 a month than be treated like a second class citizen in F2P, or pay $500 to unlock everything forever lol.

Originally posted by darkheart84

The issue with WoW is those millions of players don't want to see their life's work go to waste, and so they keep breeding in that old game and getting their offspring to play that game. This is the curse that is inflicted upon playing MMORPGs for extended periods of time - you either keep wasting away at that one game or quit and forfeit the years you spent on it, the life you built on the virtual world.

Kill the child, I say, let the man be born.

I totally agree with this. Eve Online is the best example of this that I can think of because your character is automatically skilling up all the time.

I think we'll be revisiting this subject later on this year when Eve Online starts to get serious competition.

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

i think it depend on FUN.

you pay for what you like , just same like another thing in RL, so worth it or not its personal.

• MahadoMahado Member Posts: 1

Blizzard puts insane amount of work hours to pull of high-quality patches and fixes. Which is thanks to the subscribers. Of course the expansions too, while I personally haven't enjoyed any of them since TBC. :P

I would subscribe for a MMORPG that requires monthly fee to play, because its a lot better business model in general if the Game is good. It treats everyone playing it equally and allows solid way for developers to earn their salary. Which of course means that they can work on the game steadily.

There isn't many  games who can pull patches at the same level as Blizzard. You may disagree if you don't understand anything about game developing though.

I agree at the fact that they shouldn't have started asking money for realm transfers etc.. At least not that much. Also your numbers don't match.. Cheapest preorder for WoD that I found in my country is 47 USD and if you are smart you'll wait a while until the price drops a bit.

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Ok, well you're basically comparing apples to oranges here. WoW is a sub-game, both SWTOR and Rift are F2P games with a subscription option and GW2 is a B2P with a cash shop option. 

Basically, what do you feel WoW could give you on a monthly basis that would make you feel like they wanted you there? 

Do you realize that everything that Rift and SWTOR give you as subscription "Bonuses" are things that would be in their core game had they not transitioned to F2P? The fact that you get access to the Auction house is not a great feat. The fact that you get "free" cash shop money isn't a big deal because WoW doesn't have a cash shop. You can get the exact same things as everyone else. In F2P games, they NEED to offer some value in their memberships or there is no incentive to subscribe. However, there is no differentiation in WoW. There is no sub player and f2p player. Everyone has the same game experience.

No, I disagree. WoW's pet battles are now pay-to-win:

The pets in the cash shop are very very good and you will win 85% of the time - trust me - I've bought them!

The pets given to Blizzcon attenders are an automatic 'I win button' - Murkalot cannot be beaten! I have made several threads asking for advice and nobody came up with a strategy to beat him!

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    Originally posted by laserit

Blizzard had $12 Billion in assets just sitting in a bank earning interest, and that's just Blizzard by itself.  I don't think they're hurting for money.

I would much rather pay $15 a month than be treated like a second class citizen in F2P, or pay $500 to unlock everything forever lol.

K.....  the ranting's of a well trained consumer

12 billion in assets eh.... all sitting in the bank and collecting interest... and all for the bargain price of 8 billion.

My god!!! Pigs really can fly!

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Its just my opinion, but I find the games that you mention, rift and stwor, to be piles of poo. They treat you like a king because they're flabbergasted that someone would sub to the game. I'm currently subed to wow because I enjoy the IP, content and level of polish. Its the same reason I frequent Target instead of Walmart.. I will pay a little extra for the environment and lack of pajama wearing mullet people. Plus they have a Starbucks in target. Yay. I really don't understand why people like you care how others spend their money. Can you not fathom the thought that they might just enjoy the game?
  • LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    Originally posted by Havekk
    Its just my opinion, but I find the games that you mention, rift and stwor, to be piles of poo. They treat you like a king because they're flabbergasted that someone would sub to the game. I'm currently subed to wow because I enjoy the IP, content and level of polish. Its the same reason I frequent Target instead of Walmart.. I will pay a little extra for the environment and lack of pajama wearing mullet people. Plus they have a Starbucks in target. Yay. I really don't understand why people like you care how others spend their money. Can you not fathom the thought that they might just enjoy the game?

This.

I'm also currently subbed to Anarchy Online, The Secret World, and soon The Elder Scrolls Online. I have enjoyed (or will enjoy) these titles. 

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Not really starting to think about 15 bucks / month for a hobby to be honest. That is crazy cheap and i wish all of my hobbys would be this price for this many hours.

Having that said i am gone from wow for quite well over 2 years now and i have yet to find a new game. Let alone a game i could experience the FULL game for 15$ (looking at you, crappy FTP mess). Currently hoping ESO can keep me subbed for longer then other games,... meanwhile i was spending way more then 15$/month on steam tho. Most games there at least offer some value compared to current gen MMOs.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

No, I disagree. WoW's pet battles are now pay-to-win:

The pets in the cash shop are very very good and you will win 85% of the time - trust me - I've bought them!

The pets given to Blizzcon attenders are an automatic 'I win button' - Murkalot cannot be beaten! I have made several threads asking for advice and nobody came up with a strategy to beat him!

Sure, but once again we all have the opportunity to purchase these items. If Blizz gave away these uber battle pets to all their subs then everyone would have them and we'd be right back to square one. Sure, you wouldn't have anything to complain about, but the argument that WoW never does anything special for their subscribers would still be valid because everyone is getting treated the same.

The fact that you can purchase "good" pets is no different than any F2P game. There are many games that allow you to spend additional money to purchase things in the cash shop. Yes, they do offer some pretty OP stuff in the WoW shop, but the "best" battle pets aren't found here. The best battle pets are still in-game. 

Based on what you're saying, though, it sounds like you want WoW to give you cash-shop money. I mean at least that's not something unreasonable. I wouldn't mind the same. The problem is that they don't really have an alternative option to Sub, so what are they rewarding you for? No, the people who are paying above and beyond subscription (like for a ticket to Blizzcon) are being rewarded. This is called differentiation. If you'd like to be part of that crowd then buy the ticket. Shoot, even buy the digital ticket. There were a few times you could probably get it for less than an actual battle pet! Also, Murkalot is beatable, but I get what you're saying. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Lol! Trion rewards you just for logging into Rift daily.

I don't see paying the sub in the same way you do. I actually don't like the reward scheme thing that much because to me it feels like the company is doing everything to coax me into playing. The game should be good enough to stand on its own qualities. That being said, I do like it when games offer veteran perks. That is a better way of saying thank you because it rewards long-term commitment to the game.

Rewards for subbing does not mean anything though in relation to the game's quality which to me has far more impact on whether I deem something worthwhile playing or not. I find subbing to WoW rewarding because I like the game and enjoy playing it.

Plus the sub is not just for the game itself. It pays for ingame CSRs, updates, server quality and the like. On all of these points I have had nothing but a near perfect experience in WoW. The game runs amazingly well and the amount of times I have had server rollbacks and crashes have been extremely few for all of the years I have played (and mainly only during its first year of existence). Same for the WoW client. This is not my experience with other games, even other AAA titles. The updates Blizzard produces are also generally of really high quality and really large, even if Blizzard seems slow in comparison to other game companies. However, their patches work most of the time and tend not to unleash grievous bugs like I have experienced with other game companies.

Then there is the fact that it arguably does have one of the most fleshed-out endgames for a raid-centric themepark MMORPG, even if it gets boring after a point. The upcoming expac seems to be adding some new stuff for endgame that will overcome some of the dullness of grinding purples.

Despite WoW's many faults and flaws, I still believe that this is the best quality and well-rounded game out in the MMORPG market, though that does not mean it is perfect at all and there is room to improve. That being said, I am not shy to pay a sub for most games, though Rift is not one of them and no, it is not because I dislike it.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• Geebus80Geebus80 Member Posts: 92

Meh in wow for me the game was just too basic and simplistic, I could see how some people enjoy it though. Nothing but global cool down timers and basic zerg battles just does not appeal to me.

The thing that made me stop and never even think of coming back was the players though, from elitism to outright hate speech they were the worst of the worst.

Get max level in 2 weeks? want to do end game content, to fing bad cause you dont have the gear so people wont invite you. Want to ask for some help, make some friends? too fing bad cause unless your a hate filled troll or an emo bleeding heart hippie no one wants you.

I would never pay even a cent to be forced to deal with the dregs of humanity ever again.