Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: Why Don't More People Play TSW?

Comments

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Because it's too complex & difficult for today's generation.
  • NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by Elsabolts
    I will not play another Funcom game because of a permanent ban given to me for asking when Bar-Room brawling would be put in AOC!

I think there's more to this story, then what you're telling us. 

Anyways, I found Secret World fun for it's setting and the story.  The story was a blast to participate in, just because of the characters and how they acted or what their involvement was with the Secret World.

I liked being able to get any skill I want and make the character how I wanted.  It gave me more options instead of having to create a character who is a tank or one that's a healer.  I can do that with this character.

The missions were not just always go here and kill this many, you actually had to use your mind.  Though people started to post the answers online, it became easy for some to complete missions.  I thought it was fun trying to figure them out, and when you finally asked in general for assistance you smacked your head at how obvious or the amount of over thinking you did.

I left because friend wasn't playing and there were other games I wanted to try.  Went back but felt lost due to having not played in a while. 

It's a good game, least people should give it a try.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by inemosz
    Because it's too complex & difficult for today's generation.

Ha, keep dreaming honey...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I enjoyed the setting and the story.

I also found the combat to be clunky and the animations to be below average to horrible. (How could they have just imported the universally scorned "moon man" jump animation from AoC, rather than make a quality jump animation for TSW)?

What killed the game for me was that the game world was not big enough and the missions were too few to progress in pace with subsequent zones with out repeating and re-repeating content.

I think Funcom had a lot of potential with this game. With competent animators they might have avoided the drag from the poor feel of combat. With another year or two of development time, they might have launched with enough content to avoid forcing players to repeat content.

The game's biggest potential came from the ability to immerse players in a really cool game world and a setting that has seen little representation in MMOs to date. Combat clunkiness hindered immersion and  the compelling story was greatly diminished when players were forced to repeat content. Other flaws aside, I see these as the worst two and the reason I left the game after a few weeks.

Funcom has a history of coming up with MMOs that possess great potential, only to fall well short of that potential because they just aren't willing/able to put the time and resources into the game that's necessary.  AO, AoC and TSW all might have been incredible successes if the development time for each had been stretched out another year or two.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    I dont play it becouse It has no player housing.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Three  words, EVERYTHING FEELS CLUNKY.

First response in the thread wins with the best answer.  

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    TSW is a great game and it has a lot of great content and story, but as other people have said it's a bit clunky. The combat isn't very fluid and while it's not very button-mashy the animations and smoothness in combat are pretty bad.
  • oscultonosculton Member Posts: 4

466 million of People Speak Spanish in the world.

No subtitles at all.

Combat sucks.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by Aulliwyn

My boyfriend and I have enjoyed this title since it's beginning ARGs. We sit in front of our own computers and interact more in this game then any other MMORPG. Together we have overcome all of the investigation missions we face.

When we were in egypt there was a mission where we had to find the pieces of a staff. The mission was called "The Binding". In order to find their locations we had to triangulate their positions with the directions that the god's statues face (even the false one's).

We printed a map out and went to each statue, determining as best we could the direction of their gaze and making a line on the map and a rough circle around the area that their gaze crossed. 

We completed The Binding and we did it together.

This game is PERFECT for couples.

Seconded.

My wife and I enjoy working on the puzzles together. Bouncing ideas off of each other in order to solve the mission objectives is very rewarding. Much better than playing solo, wracking your brain quietly for x minutes, and then just looking it up on the internet. Working with others encourages you to figure it out for yourself.

• al1enoidal1enoid Member UncommonPosts: 8

The mediocrity... funcom may have nice ideas, but they really often lack the final touch... for example trade houses search system... not very pleasing experience, and theres a plenty more of that kind of stuff, if your familiar with Funcom, you probably know. 

BUT, combat system is fun, and investigation quests are a fun twist, with or without guides.

A bit larger playerbase would do good for this game so that endgame would be more convenient. Unfortunately people are scared away long before that so...

Its B2p, so i'd say its worth a try for an mmo player, worth the money even if you dont play the endgame imo.

And if someone says this one has clunky combat, check FFXIV. 

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521
    Combat boring.  Mobs beyond boring -- all the same theme.  it got to me very quickly.  I hate zombies too -- so that doesn't help.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Posted by Robsolf on 3/11/14 at 10:21:45 PM

But even by your own standards, a person can't create "what they want", they have to create an "optimum build" that even the developers were incapable of conceiving.

What you want, and whether it's effective, is completely arbitrary.

Edit:  Reminds me of a quote from a movie:  "You can have any beer you want, as long as it's a Corona."

There are many optimum builds, just like there are many great beers.  ;)  

Funcom made the (right imho) decision to give players complete freedom to create any build they want -- it can completely suck or it could be great.  To create a good build requires, like so many other things in TSW, thought, or at least the willingness to discuss with other players what they have found and maybe do a little research.  Plenty of advice on the forums.

Funcom could do a better job of giving better examples of good decks though, and I agree they should do so.  It would help the game if more people came away understanding how it works.  That said, I'd be pretty hard set against dumbing the game too much for players.  There are plenty of games that require zero thought already, and I don't think making it dumber would improve the game or community.
  • baldernonobaldernono Member UncommonPosts: 96

I played 3 months.

i did enjoy the solo quests.

Why i quit :

1 - way to many loading between zone

2 - cities. You said cities?these cities are a true joke...

3 - their skill system and equip system was a good bad idea... Everyone have the same dps/tank/healer spec... Please, at least, let us believe we are differents in virtual world, it is more important than developpers thinks ^_^

4 - i don't even talk about pvp clan ratio 80 illu - 19 templar - 1 dragon... something sure Dragon is always 1 ^_^

• EncjonXEncjonX Member UncommonPosts: 1

Two Words 

NO PVP 

3 Fractions and its like a Happy Love Party. Not Realy a War with 3 Fraction in TSW

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I loved The Secret World and still consider it to have the best questing of any MMO I've played.  Unfortunately I think the snail paced content updates and lacking population is what did the game in for me.  Zone chat was almost always dead everywhere I went except for Agartha and that was just group spamming.  Shame really.  I guess there is one other thing to note as well - it's hard to play in a survival horror theme game day after day, at least for me - too much gloom wears on me. 
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    The combat is just godawful. Besides that I enjoyed playing it, but since I generally spend 99% of my time doing things that involve combat in these games, it needs to be solid for me to stick around. 
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Like a bunch of people have said here already: the combat.  I was never impressed by it.  A distant second would be the price.  I'd pay 30 bucks, or better yet the 10 bucks on Steam sales, if not for the fact that the game play isn't FUN for me.

Something that isn't a factor would be the theme.  Maybe Funcom couldn't run with it, but I'd like to see more "modern times" MMO's, because I'm tired of being stuck with either high fantasy or space ship pew pew.

• MachinationMachination Member UncommonPosts: 70

I play off and on but like others have stated, the combat needs a great big hug.

If they can revisit the combat I have no doubt that they will see more people coming back just from that alone.

I love the fantastic character skill depth, really head scratching quests at times and the whole mood is set really well but that damn combat, mate . . . .

• HolloowHolloow Member Posts: 4

1)faction are shit when will they undrestand that

2)after SEE what they did to AoC i promise myself i ll never play another funcom game anymore

3)i don t like gun in mmo i prefer fantasy

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    It's the poor implementation of the combat mechanics. Very dull. Very repetitive. It's a chore more than a game mechanic. I like pretty much everything else in TSW, but it's the combat that keeps me away since there is a lot of it. It's a shame, since it is a unique game with very entertaining elements outside of combat. TSW NEEDS a total combat overhaul, imo.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

The others have touched on most of it but I really have to add that the whole game feels like it was made in the 90's/early 2000's and is almost an extended carbon copy of Vampire Bloodlines, Even the animation and graphics feels VERY much like that game. Which was great.... for ten to fifteen years ago. The sound sounds almost exactly like that game. Your toon doesn't even move in any way naturally. In the middle of a conversation, your toon stares blankly not even fidgeting or anything like a normal human. They don't even look like they breath.

The game was a massive disappointment. 

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
    There is a large portion of the new MMO community that are just never going to convince to play anything but WoW and things like WoW... not to mention the MMO hate-wagon that permeates most of the MMO communities on the internet. I gave up worrying about what other people thought ages ago. I just hope that FunCom keeps embracing this niche and keeps The Secret World going. It really is a unique game amongst a huge field of sameness and cynical cash-grabs that most games are these days. I love the atmosphere and the genre and that alone would be enough to keep me coming back... by the way, most people I know, including myself, know Jeffrey Combs from his roles in the HP Lovecraft adaptation The Re-Animator and other horror genre movies like From Beyond. Yet another reason why this game made me geek out so much.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    Posted by Robsolf on 3/11/14 at 10:21:45 PM

But even by your own standards, a person can't create "what they want", they have to create an "optimum build" that even the developers were incapable of conceiving.

What you want, and whether it's effective, is completely arbitrary.

Edit:  Reminds me of a quote from a movie:  "You can have any beer you want, as long as it's a Corona."

There are many optimum builds, just like there are many great beers.  ;)  

And in this case, you have a handful of beers that people like, and the rest convince people that they'd rather just stay sober. 

I gotta admit, that's a feat.

Funcom made the (right imho) decision to give players complete freedom to create any build they want -- it can completely suck or it could be great.  To create a good build requires, like so many other things in TSW, thought, or at least the willingness to discuss with other players what they have found and maybe do a little research.  Plenty of advice on the forums.
    But IMO, people want the choice to be a character, not a loadout.  The fun for many people isn't in swapping loadouts every combat, it's in being a character.  Ash, Housewares.  Sam or Dean.  Mike or Reggie.  Ichabod Crane.  Or their own concept.  A psyon.  An exorcist.  An alien.

Funcom could do a better job of giving better examples of good decks though, and I agree they should do so.  It would help the game if more people came away understanding how it works.  That said, I'd be pretty hard set against dumbing the game too much for players.  There are plenty of games that require zero thought already, and I don't think making it dumber would improve the game or community.

But let's pretend they DID give better examples of good decks.  The game no longer comes down to being "a game of choice".  Their recommendations rule a majority of the players.  And that's FINE.  But don't pretend it's anything different from any other game creating classes.

"you can have any beer you want, as long as it's your class's Corona".

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Talmien

I stopped playing because it really isn't that different. It might be a different setting, but its still a quest hub themepark. That's not to say I have anything against quest hub themeparks, it just the TSW doesn't do it very well. T

That's good.  The claustrophobic adventure areas, ala Rift, didn't help either.  It should have been much more open world.

• yuri330yuri330 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Because PvP is dead and Templars dominate Fusang 24/7. And PvP is dead because it's probably seen as very mediocre. That is why I do not play Secret World.