Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you be playing WildStar at launch?

15678911»

Comments

• iseldieraiseldiera Member Posts: 36

i have a confession to make as a TESO fanboi.

i participated in every weekend beta since xmas in both games and i have to say while i was laughing at wildstar in the beginning and thinking it a game for 8 yr olds, having tested more advanced content recently all i can say is i am absolutely amazed at this game. i cannot go into reasons nor into comparisons with teso because of nda but you can count on me as one of the new converts. 

• SolarRainSolarRain Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by Annekynn

Yes, will be playing on day 1. The game improves the WoW formula in every aspect. Provided it launches complete, polished and relatively bug free it should advance this style of gameplay over WoW the same way WoW advanced it over EQ1.

WoW didn't advance anything over EQ, it took a different route entirely.

• DrinkFeckDrinkFeck Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Just to add.. after playing ArcheAge, I have promptly uninstalled WildStar.
  • VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566
    No! I was in the weekend event and the combat was too straining on my hand.
  • VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    Originally posted by VaultFairy
    No! I was in the weekend event and the combat was too straining on my hand.

I would have preferred the GW 2 method of only a few hot skill slots, but all 10 in an aim heavy game like this was terror on my left as well.. Gonna need a real good gaming mouse with lots of configurable buttons..

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Originally posted by Vyeth
    Originally posted by VaultFairy No! I was in the weekend event and the combat was too straining on my hand.
    I would have preferred the GW 2 method of only a few hot skill slots, but all 10 in an aim heavy game like this was terror on my left as well.. Gonna need a real good gaming mouse with lots of configurable buttons..

Well, yes certainly a good mouse helps (I just got a roccat kone XTD which is amazing), but if handling 20-30 buttons in WoW was doable over the years without a good gaming mouse then certainly handling 10 skills wont be all that hard. The one caveat will be movement. In WoW you usually stand still, so pressing all those buttons wasnt too hard. In WildStar having to move AND fight at the same time will be a bit more challenging for sure. But hey, the game is all about bringing the challenge back so its certainly a challenge I look forward to

• KenichiKenichi Member Posts: 109

I won't be playing at launch. Maybe later on, but I highly doubt it.

I know that Wildstar was not trying to be completely original or re-invent the genre, but even with twist on its combat system it feels more or less like the other 100s of MMOs I've played and I don't see the point in playing another one. Maybe it is because of my age and my tastes, but I need something new, different, and exciting.

With that being said, I'm sure that a lot of people will enjoy the grindiness, the quest hubs and the throwback to 40 man raids.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    No.  If I wanted to play WoW, I would be playing WoW.

That's like saying Tera = WoW

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Sephiroso

No.  It's really not.  Okay maybe the lack of quality in quests are similar.

It is heavily WoW influenced.  Even the devs said that's what they're going for.  Nobody is denying what the game is or what is trying to achieve.  That does mean however that people looking for a different type of experience will probably not like the game.  Those that are looking for a similar game like WoW with a bit more advanced options will probably love WildStar.  And that's okay.  Options and choices are good.

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by Sephiroso

No.  It's really not.  Okay maybe the lack of quality in quests are similar.

It is heavily WoW influenced.  Even the devs said that's what they're going for.  Nobody is denying what the game is or what is trying to achieve.  That does mean however that people looking for a different type of experience will probably not like the game.  Those that are looking for a similar game like WoW with a bit more advanced options will probably love WildStar.  And that's okay.  Options and choices are good.

You should always provide sources to back up claims like these. So, go ahead. Link me a source then.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Alright. NDA is lifted. Time for my thoughts!

Pros:

• Housing; a very big pro. If you do not like housing. You are not going to get the most out of this game in my opinion.
    • Paths; they give you the option to change your questing experience to mix things up. They also provide unique bonuses, skills and rewards.
    • Optional starting zones; you don't have to level through the same zones every single time you make a new character ala how SWTOR did it. Tutorial excluded.
    • Challenges; either you're going to hate them for mocking your failure or love them when you succeed.
    • War Plots; PVP keeps that you create, maintain and defend.
    • Animations and movement; is smooth and very polished. World of Warcraft level of polished.
    • Combat; is solid.
    • Combat ability slots are fully swap-out-able; you're not stuck with having to use any one particular skill and keys are fully re-bindable. There is no "auto attack" for players.
    • Music; there are a lot of beautiful, emotional and chilling tracks in this game.
    • Sci-fi genre; not as over done and tiresome as the fantasy counter part.

Cons:

• Phasing; biggest draw back in my opinion. There is occurrences of phasing where you lose sight of other players because they're on a different part of a quest chain. Although there is a function to join your party leader's phase. It has proven to be ineffective with it not working. Leaving you unable to play with your friends through quest chains that can take hours to get through. Can also hamper world PVP.
    • Hub based questing; if you don't like walking into a town and collecting a bunch of quests. This game isn't for you.
    • Performance issues; there are many places in the game currently that will tank your FPS hard.
    • Lack of Z-axis in combat; you aim on a horizontal 2d plain. Aiming at any thing flying is awkward.
    • Sub-par tutorial ship; leaves a bad impression for the game as it is quite dull.
    • Over use of obnoxious flashing effects; in certain zones. There are effects that can cause one to feel sick. Everstar Grove and Algoroc zones being the two offending examples.
    • Naming system; you cannot use space to create two word names. Numbers are allowed. You will be seeing a lot of "JohnDoe" and "J0hnD03".
    • Lack of character customization; they give you a few options. But many of them are unappealing and funneling people into one or two options.
    • Lack of weapon options for classes; you're a warrior. You use a sword. Don't like swords? Too bad. Well there is that arm cannon you use some times...

Summary:

WildStar has its problems. Some fixable. Some you're going to have to live with if you intend to play this game. Some of it's features make up for many of it's short comings. They still have a bit to go before launch. I don't think they are quite ready for launch in its current state. But they're getting there and do listen to the players.

Although I do not know how long WildStar's appeal will last in the long run. I do think it is worth the initial 60 dollar purchase.