Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: Why Don't More People Play TSW?

Comments

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Robsolf
    People who defend the combat in this game keep bringing this stuff up as though it's a concept that MMO players haven't dealt with before.  It's absolutely totally not. 

And yet you have people posting here quoting their spammed rotations of 3 abilities when they have 7 slots.  Or people running around with one weapon thinking that's all they get.  Maybe you get it, but I'm doubtful that others do (and that I blame on the explanation of the mechanics -- Funcom needs to do a better job with the opening missions and the initial HQ missions.)  

If you have an optimized deck, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to down a regular mob in 10-15 seconds.

Oh, and yeah I agree those starter decks need to be revamped.  They are okay for concepts, but WAY too many people think those are optimized decks, when all they are really good for is the outfit..  ;)

• genoshangenoshan Member UncommonPosts: 51

This game was screaming out for a full pvp server. I played this and got bored quickly without a real pvp experience.

it needed open world pvp to make this fun and lasting.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

TSW has the best writing and quest design I've seen in an MMORPG to date.

I love the skill system.

BUT, the activity you perform 90% of the time, combat, I find very boring.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    I'd play it more if it was properly optimized. I don't have the best rig by any means but I can run most things at at least medium settings. If it ran better, I never would have stopped playing.

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

The deck system is an illusion and elaborate distraction from the fact that combat is so fucking simple and boring. TSW = a cool looking colored spreadsheet that doesnt amount to anything interesting because the combat is still SHIT.

Animations are fucking amateurish awful - must have been done by college freshmen working as interns for free.

The writing isnt as good as people claim. What youre hearing are players who are comparing it to World of GenericShitCraft and probably havent read a book over 2 pages in their lives.

Very repetitive endgame and because of the above reasons, thats not a good thing. Repetition is actually attractive when the activity is fun and engaging - but TSW is neither.

Funcom is just NOT a talented developer.  Expect mediocrity in every aspect of Funcom games and you wont be disappointed. They are forgettable, disposable experiences. If youre bored and just want to throw away a month on something new without any sense of connection or attachment to your character/account then The Secret World (and Age of Conan) will be fine for you. 

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

personally i've never been interested in even trying it. when i first heard of it it was branded as a "real life mmo with a twist"....i find RL very boring. 

As this was Funcom (i played and loved AoC for quite a while) i forced myself to watch a few youtube videos on it....did not attract me. it looked like a very awkward mix of GTA and Rift......just wrong. i'll give them thumbs up for trying to blend "real life" and "fantasy", but from what i've seen the product is simply off putting. like pizza flavored ice cream....just wrong......

i guess the theme was just not what i look for in a video game. 

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    People who defend the combat in this game keep bringing this stuff up as though it's a concept that MMO players haven't dealt with before.  It's absolutely totally not. 

And yet you have people posting here quoting their spammed rotations of 3 abilities when they have 7 slots.  Or people running around with one weapon thinking that's all they get.  Maybe you get it, but I'm doubtful that others do (and that I blame on the explanation of the mechanics -- Funcom needs to do a better job with the opening missions and the initial HQ missions.)  

If you have an optimized deck, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to down a regular mob in 10-15 seconds.

Yes.  If you have an "optimized deck"; again, something you admitted was outside the development team's ability.  Share that deck with everybody and I'm sure they'll all suddenly love combat in this game.

I understand. I'm glad you agree that "I might get it".  Because I do get it.  And I'm telling you that "wanderin' monster" combat in this game is a nuisance.  That coupled with TTK numbers being high leads to people leaving, bringing about the reason for this column in the first place.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    During beta when I played it I thought it's not worth the box price + subscription, considering the mediocre combat, unimpressive character models, and bad animations. Now it being B2P I still don't think it's worth it. They might as well go F2P and just make money off DLCs.

Yes.  If you have an "optimized deck"; again, something you admitted was outside the development team's ability.  

Outside their ability?  More like outside the list of priorities.  Plenty of player made decks and advice out there, but yeah, Funcom should improve the starter decks, among the 1,000 other things they have in the queue.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Because my money is better off in my pocket than theirs and as it's UnFuncom they aint getting their mitts on my money ever again.

Asbo

• VenedVened Member UncommonPosts: 71

TSW story is just "Jesus stomp" Its only game which expect u to think.

U lost?

Same I.

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726
    because it got super boring after i got max level.

Yes.  If you have an "optimized deck"; again, something you admitted was outside the development team's ability.  

Outside their ability?  More like outside the list of priorities.  Plenty of player made decks and advice out there, but yeah, Funcom should improve the starter decks, among the 1,000 other things they have in the queue.

If it's outside their priority, why should it be "inside" ours?  Either way, you claim that tons of decks and advice is out there, yet there's an article asking why no one plays the game.  Are you still adhering to the notion that people just "dunno how to play"?

If it's outside their priority, why should it be "inside" ours?  Either way, you claim that tons of decks and advice is out there, yet there's an article asking why no one plays the game.  Are you still adhering to the notion that people just "dunno how to play"?

The very essence of the game relies on people knowing how to make even the most basic google searches.  Are you saying those people are incapable of searching for effective decks?

Originally posted by Robsolf Yes.  If you have an "optimized deck"; again, something you admitted was outside the development team's ability.   Outside their ability?  More like outside the list of priorities.  Plenty of player made decks and advice out there, but yeah, Funcom should improve the starter decks, among the 1,000 other things they have in the queue.
    When I see posts like the below, yup.  While I'm agreeing that it's something Funcom should address in the tutorials and starter decks, I can't speak for Funcom's dev priorities.  That said, we're getting a system that allows complete freedom to create any build you want -- sucky or great.  If you can't or won't, as a player, take responsibility for creating something you like, well that's on you.

Originally posted by Beyorn  2,3,1,1,1,1,1 repeat (if melee) or 1,1,1,1,1,2,3 repeat (all others)

• Xeno2012Xeno2012 Member UncommonPosts: 10

This MMO is the best out of all that I have played to date-- over 25 years.   Combat: you can tab or reticle combat.  Builds: I have over 30 decks that I actively use, and 20 for specific purposes.  No you cannot spam one button over and over and have success.

The missions, storyline, and cinematics/cutscenes are better than any other MMO and I am not even a huge fan of the horror/conspiracy genre.

The dungeons are innovative, clever and have a complete connection to the backstory, in addition to stories of their own.  Aside from the last DLC issue, which was mechanical content to prepare for the next big zone, the DLCs have had wonderful storylines and have all added repeatable content and new auxiliary weapons.  However, there should be more of them by now.

Negatives: some mechanics are clunky-- let's face it, implementation and UI design has never been one of FC's fortes.  They have also bowed to the pressure from players to have repeatable stuff to do and non-grouping ways to obtain high-end PvE gear.  PvP is pedestrian.

And the main negative--- which applies to almost any MMO out there: if you are a content locust,. don't read/skip through the storyline and/or mission briefs, and use cheat sites to burn through anything that requires thought, then yes, you get to end-game quickly and they don't do expansions every month.

However, for any player willing to and capable of making a bit of a personal investment in the game, and willing to try out the many diverse activities, it is a wonderful milieu.

Several of the "next big thing" AAA MMO titles have either shamelessly stolen some of the concepts and methodologies, or, if we wish to be charitable, have parallel developed similar "Limited Action Sets" and "horizontal development" and "dynamic, repeatable, simulation trials".  Let's hope the short-sighted or uninformed do not end up praising those titles for what TSW brought to the table.

There is no better game for atmosphere and for creative storytelling.

When I see posts like the below, yup.  While I'm agreeing that it's something Funcom should address in the tutorials and starter decks, I can't speak for Funcom's dev priorities.  That said, we're getting a system that allows complete freedom to create any build you want -- sucky or great.  If you can't, as a player, take responsibility for creating something you like, well that's on you.

<p cfbody="" news_newspost"="">
    Originally posted by Beyorn

2,3,1,1,1,1,1 repeat (if melee)

or

1,1,1,1,1,2,3 repeat (all others)

But even by your own standards, a person can't create "what they want", they have to create an "optimum build" that even the developers were incapable of conceiving.

What you want, and whether it's effective, is completely arbitrary.

Edit:  Reminds me of a quote from a movie:  "You can have any beer you want, as long as it's a Corona."

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by SBFord

Go to any forums for MMOs and you will eventually find people bemoaning the fact that every MMO out there is the same. Maybe they use words like “WoW clone” or “copycat” but the idea is always the same, there just isn’t enough variety in MMOs. And yes, the industry is filled with one fantasy game after another. But there are other games that get over looked. Whenever I see someone complaining all MMOs are the same I ask them, “What about The Secret World?”

Read more of Shannon Doyle's The Secret World: Why Don't More People Play TSW?

Another fake 3 faction mmorpg where the factions are bounce around together in pve....c'mon.  Too old for nonsense like that.  Secondly, it's a clunk fest.

edit

screwy formatting

When I see posts like the below, yup.  While I'm agreeing that it's something Funcom should address in the tutorials and starter decks, I can't speak for Funcom's dev priorities.  That said, we're getting a system that allows complete freedom to create any build you want -- sucky or great.  If you can't, as a player, take responsibility for creating something you like, well that's on you.

formatting issues indeedy.

Hey MMORPG... you know that SOME OF US take a good chunk of time to write our replies, right?  Sounds like Ort and I both had stuff to say to each other and it vanished into the ether, inexplicably.  Neither of us were being jerks to each other, so what the crap?

Ortwig:  The cake is a lie!

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by Netspook

Ok, after my last post in this thread, I decided to try out the game once more, haven't played it since June.

It's worse than I remembered. Piss poor combat system, poorly designed quest hubs, a LOT of running back and forth, and so on.

Some issues about the quest hubs:

• Quests are available, but can't be accepted until you've finished some other first
    • Only 1 main quest active, meaning others you have will be paused.
    • Quest givers won't give you all quests at once, but wont' hesitate to send you to same locations. Over and over again...
    • etc.

If I could permantly delete games from Steam, this one would be the first to go.

Edit: typo

"Quest hubs"? The game is out since almost 2 years (if counting betas), and still, quest hubs? Lol.

That's maybe one of the best feature story-wise, but I don't even go there, it was addressed way too many times since launch.

"LET the quests give you a tour of the zone. Your tour will be different from other player's because you're making different choices.

If you find yourself running back to a hub to grab the next quest from that hub, you're doing it wrong." (from Yokai's blog)

Not sure exactly what you mean with your comment about the quest hubs, but they're definitively there, if that's what you're arguing against. Or what else would you call a group of NPCs offering quests?

Considering that a lot of quests DOES send you back to the SAME locations, and often ONLY after you've done the first quests (hence my running back and forth comment), the "you're doing it wrong" part is just nonsense.

• hfamgamerhfamgamer Member UncommonPosts: 64

The only reason I'm not playing TSW is it doesn't like my current system

Acer

System Model: Aspire X3400G

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 255 Processor (2 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 7936MB RAM

Page File: 1351MB used, 14516MB available

Windows Dir: C:Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

NVIDIA GeForce 9200  

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 9200

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Then again not many games do like this system :(

• leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135

I've played TSW a while ago and loved it. They have the best quest writing I've EVER seen, on top of that the world is so beautiful and mysterious. It's definitely one of the best MMORPG out there.

But I don't know... the game just doesn't feel... right... to me. I think one of the biggest problems I had was with the animation. This normally it doesn't bother me that much in MMOs as I understand there are restrictions when a game need to show so many players on your screen at once, but in TSW the running, interacting and combat animation is just soooo immersion breaking that I kept frowning from time to time. Maybe there's some technical problem with it that the can't solve? Still I probably would never have left this game if they could find a way to make my character feel less like a poor puppet on strings.

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340
    I refuse to play a game made by Funcom after being swindled into buying Age of Conan.