Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: MMO + RPG

124»

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I and many others come to mmorpg.com to find out about MMOs. I get wanting to expand and make more money but dont do it at the cost of what made this webpage so great. You start mixing RPG info in with MMO info and that just becomes a pain to the hardcore MMO fans that come here for the down and dirty on new MMOs. Please make it easy to side step the RPGs from the MMOs. 

For starters like the soon to launch list on the main page, why does it have to have rpgs and mmos in there, why cant rpgs have their own list? Maybe a tag on the header of each review or article that says RPG or MMO so you know before you click it if you care. The harder it is to find the info I need on MMOs the less likely this will be my first stop for info. 

I wouldn't mind the ability to categorize and filter news items, along with the games list.  Perhaps a general discussion forum that also has an MMORPG sub forum and an RPG sub forum.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by GameByNight
    Originally posted by Nevulus

That's cool. I'm happy for u guys finally throwing in the towel  and I understand from a business standpoint. Now as a mmo fan I am disappointed. You are now just basically a bootleg Gamespot or IGN. 

I don't mean to be rude but that's the simple fact, you are now competing with IGN and the others. So how will mmorpg.com differentiate itself? What will you offer that I can't simply get from IGN or Gamespot?

The same thing you have always been able to get. Just because we cover more single-player and cooperative RPGs doesn't mean that our MMORPG coverage is going to be any different. You can also look at it from the other side. Just because we start covering RPGs doesn't mean any of those other sites are suddenly going to be covering MMOs any more than they already are.

"We"?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Jairoe03Jairoe03 Member Posts: 732

The article provided terrible justifications to their inclusions of non-mmorpg's games and it just appears to be getting worse. In my opinion, according to the article it appears to be more important to serve the website as opposed to the readers (since it seems they are afraid of losing/cutting jobs). If there is such a shortage of things to cover i.e. lack of work, guess what happens to most companies? They cut staff and it might not be popular but if that's truly the case, that might be worth a consideration rather than muddling a website called "mmorpg.com" with more and more non-mmorpg games.

You might not think it won't make your audience feel a little jaded or confused, and maybe not at first, but to list an example, I just started listening to a podcast called "The Video Game Show" hoping for some coverage of video games, it does alright overall, but last week it started my first 15 to 20 minutes covering movies (due to the recent movie awards) and it just annoyed me. I listen to this show looking for video game coverage and it force feeds me things that aren't related. After a while, when you are introducing crowds of people that don't really care much about mmorpgs and care more about non-mmorpg games, you will (just like an above poster said) just end up being another general video game site like IGN etc. and what's really stopping us from getting our news from there when this site isn't focusing itself on mmorpgs anymore?

You built the foundations of this site on mmorpgs and you got people to come due to its emphasis on mmorpgs knowing that we can mostly discuss mmorpgs. I feel this decision and the inclusion of single-player games is a big disservice to your loyal fan base and I agree with the above posters, it seems like a big sell out and it at least appears its mostly about servicing yourselves, the writers, to justify having more work.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by lizardbones
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I and many others come to mmorpg.com to find out about MMOs. I get wanting to expand and make more money but dont do it at the cost of what made this webpage so great. You start mixing RPG info in with MMO info and that just becomes a pain to the hardcore MMO fans that come here for the down and dirty on new MMOs. Please make it easy to side step the RPGs from the MMOs. 

For starters like the soon to launch list on the main page, why does it have to have rpgs and mmos in there, why cant rpgs have their own list? Maybe a tag on the header of each review or article that says RPG or MMO so you know before you click it if you care. The harder it is to find the info I need on MMOs the less likely this will be my first stop for info. 

I wouldn't mind the ability to categorize and filter news items, along with the games list.  Perhaps a general discussion forum that also has an MMORPG sub forum and an RPG sub forum.

I think filtering options on the web page is going to be needed more and more as they delve into all areas of games. As they review more types of games the amount of data here is going to get more and more bloated. For some thats awesome, for others thats frustrating. I hope the new web page they are making has that is mind as new fans come here for RPG news they also wont want to be flooded with MMO info. To assume all MMO fans are RPG fans or that all RPG fans are MMO fans IMO will frustrate a good % of gamers. Like myself who only plays MMOs now days because my gaming time is spent with my family not playing alone.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Last time I posted a topic claiming that mmorpg's are slowly fading away, and that you need no more proof than this site new found focus on singleplayer RPGs. I was banned ( for hundredth time ) and the topic was deleted.

Well at least I am glad you guys came out clean and explained the thing.

Yes mmorpgs have reputation. Yes they are risky investments that usually blow in investors faces. Yes its genre that had most potential but became most stagnant in the industry. Yes there is almost no new serious mmos being produced - you can not build whole site on 2 games in production. And yes , mmo community is shit...

So yes, its just logical you guys cover some other games...

But can you really do it ?

Single player RPGs have calm and benign fan base that doesnt like to argue. This site has reputation of wasp nest, and immaturity of first grade.

Although mmo have RPG in the name, they share very little in-common. (Unless we are talking kingdom of Amalur)

So thats a poor connection.

And yes, RPG fans are far less likely to obsesively browse web reading every article on their soper hyped game in making. Generating far less revenue... Not to mention that web marketing for RPGs is far less active than one for F2P trash titles.

I say. You guys better branch out to cover massive multiplayer games.

Like DOTAs , Dayz's , Starbound's , Minecrafts , shooters ...

This is where the wind is blowing, and fits better this sites immature agressive crowd.

This might sum it up. Stagnant is really the right word for things in the mmo"rpg" world. I've already transitioned over to IGN and Kotaku mostly, and not on purpose. It's not even about the staff or article writing, it's just that IGN has a better media presence. It was an improvement when pokket went the way of the dodo, maybe bring on some other personalities who can properly cover mmorpg's.

WTF am I saying, I don't know shit about shit.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

I got a warning for trolling last time i commented on this happening. Atleast now we have a formal "this is whats happening" instead of people just up and talking about it. It does bother me alot, However i have come into just that little bit of cred on this site that makes me more than some random bot spewing stuff so im staying.

Ill try to keep my "This isnt a MMORPG whats it doing here" comments to myself lol.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by GameByNight
    Originally posted by Samhael
    I don't come here for non-MMO news. I can get that elsewhere and in a better presentation. If you're going to change focus, I recommend you re-name and re-brand.  That way, instead of visiting daily, I'll know that visiting weekly is fine.

I think Bill made it pretty clear that we're not changing focus. We're expanding what we offer. If you came here for MMO news, you're still going to get it, same as ever.

The problem with expanding is that once you start de-specializing (is that a word?), you quickly get lost in the crowd. I come to MMORPG because I like the discussion and it's a narrow focus - the site covers MMORPGs. I come to the site and know that the articles and the discussion are going to center around MMORPGs.

If you lose that focus.....what's going to stop me from just going to say Joystiq or a similar site instead? What compelling feature is going to draw me to the site once the focus is gone?

<3

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Feels like a natural mix.

Alway's consider MMORPG's being the online variant of RPG's. But with RPG's. Along the line the RPG part became more of a feature thing then acutally gave it's player the tools to actually "roleplay" their part within that world.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I'm down with RPGs... but I can't tell if the article is saying you will be covering MOBAs as well. MOBAs ain't RPGs, I'd rather not see them here.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708

Meh. I was coming around this website to get news about MMORPGs, not RPGs or whatever, which I really don't care about and which I haven't been playing for a long while.

My hope is that they offer a clear way to get to the "MMORPG" or the "OTHER" or the "BLENDED" version of the site without having people have to figure out if they're looking at an MMO or not while reading seeing an article... but I'll be disapointed, I bet.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Vannor
    I'm down with RPGs... but I can't tell if the article is saying you will be covering MOBAs as well. MOBAs ain't RPGs, I'd rather not see them here.

I feel the same. I am all for reinforcing the term "RPG" in whatever way this site feels appropriate but the MOBA coverage drives me nuts.

You stay sassy!

• DarkEvilHatredDarkEvilHatred Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Stick to MMO's. That is my opinion.
  • DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307
    I come here when I am bored with my current MMO. I usually look over the list of MMOs. However you have mixed in single player RPGs, let alone MOBAs and other genres into the mix. And I simply do not wish to waste my time looking up a game only to find out it is NOT an MMO. If you were to simply make it clear what genre the game is I could deal with that, but you do not. I am going elsewhere for my MMO list and taking my ad view/click consumer power with me. Don't worry as my leaving won't effect you as you may eventually make up in volume what you lack in quality and integrity.