Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people assume a game will have certain features before the developer says anything?

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This is a pretty regular thing, and the threads that draw my eye the most are the threads around PvP, but it doesn't have to be PvP features.  It could be crafting features, land ownership or housing features.  Players respond to feature announcements as if there was some reasonable expectation that the features would be there, as if the developer said the features would be there, and then changed their minds when all that happened was the developer just had not said anything yet.

I saw this with Rift, Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Secret World, in a recent Shroud of the Avatar thread, Everquest Next and Everquest Next: Landmark threads, and finally in several Elder Scrolls Online threads.  I'm sure it was happening before I really started paying attention to it.

Why?  Seriously.  Why?  I can totally understand wanting certain features in a game, or thinking that the features would be an ideal fit for a game, but not thinking that the features will actually show up, just because I think they should be there.  I do not understand this kind of thinking.  Are people really doing this, or are they just making a big deal out of things to create forum drama?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Forum drama, compounded by the "ME" generation. Everything now, nothing later.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by lizardbones

This is a pretty regular thing, and the threads that draw my eye the most are the threads around PvP, but it doesn't have to be PvP features.  It could be crafting features, land ownership or housing features.  Players respond to feature announcements as if there was some reasonable expectation that the features would be there, as if the developer said the features would be there, and then changed their minds when all that happened was the developer just had not said anything yet.

I saw this with Rift, Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Secret World, in a recent Shroud of the Avatar thread, Everquest Next and Everquest Next: Landmark threads, and finally in several Elder Scrolls Online threads.  I'm sure it was happening before I really started paying attention to it.

Why?  Seriously.  Why?  I can totally understand wanting certain features in a game, or thinking that the features would be an ideal fit for a game, but not thinking that the features will actually show up, just because I think they should be there.  I do not understand this kind of thinking.  Are people really doing this, or are they just making a big deal out of things to create forum drama?

Spoiled brats with self entitlement syndrome

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Forum drama, compounded by the "ME" generation. Everything now, nothing later.

I think that it's more Everything now, more later.

As for the OP, it's something that have always existed, it's just that more and more people show up in forums now to proclaim in disguised terms that every single games should be made for them only because they have the greatest taste in gaming and if they do not like something than nobody should either. Ok that's not what they are trying to say, but it's what it ends up being about.

It usually result in gamers expecting feature X because it was in one of his favorite game in that genre (although, same genre is not required anymore going by what I've read last week).

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    I think some of these people honestly expect the things they claim to be expecting, despite having no logical reason to do so.  They build up fantasies in their heads of what a game "should" look like, then act like developers are violating an explicit promise made specifically to them when they fail to include some element of those fantasies.  It happened a ton with TOR, and we're seeing it a lot with ESO.  I don't understand minds that work that way, but there do seem to be a lot of them.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    I think some of these people honestly expect the things they claim to be expecting, despite having no logical reason to do so.  They build up fantasies in their heads of what a game "should" look like, then act like developers are violating an explicit promise made specifically to them when they fail to include some element of those fantasies.  It happened a ton with TOR, and we're seeing it a lot with ESO.  I don't understand minds that work that way, but there do seem to be a lot of them.

It seems like this would lead to nothing but disappointment.  There's no way reality can match fantasy unless the fantasy is really scaled back.

I feel like everyone needs to take a class on business writing, and then apply the same rules there to reading press releases about video games to see how little information is actually there.  Maybe people will be less disappointed when they can see the actual information. :-(

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

The line you're walking here seams pretty thin.  Saying people should not want things in a game that doesn't have them makes you look like an ass, but suggesting that people who think a game should have something they want are entitled brats hits upon the buzzword that everyone in the gaming community loves these days.  No matter what language you wrap it in, you're saying is that having expectations is unfair to the developer, and that people who have them are lousy.   We're apparently only allowed to expect things that are already in the game.  I think this pro-developer, "I'll happily take anything they give me because I've already decided I'm going to love this game" approach is as unconstructive as the "This game will fail because it doesn't have swimming!" one.

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Gormogon

The line you're walking here seams pretty thin.  Saying people should not want things in a game that doesn't have them makes you look like an ass, but suggesting that people who think a game should have something they want are entitled brats hits upon the buzzword that everyone in the gaming community loves these days.  No matter what language you wrap it in, you're saying is that having expectations is unfair to the developer, and that people who have them are lousy.   We're apparently only allowed to expect things that are already in the game.  I think this pro-developer, "I'll happily take anything they give me because I've already decided I'm going to love this game" approach is as unconstructive as the "This game will fail because it doesn't have swimming!" one.

Maybe re-read my OP.  You've alluded to thinks that I didn't think.  Or say. 

People are expecting feature X when the developer never says that feature X will be in a game.  This is not the same thing as being disappointed or wanting feature X.  They are expecting that feature X is supposed to be there.  How do we know this?  Because they said so.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Gormogon

I think you missed his point.  It wasn't about whether it was reasonable to *want* features, it was about whether it was reasonable to *expect* them when no information about the game ever so much as implied they were going to present.

EDIT: Beat me to it.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Because with most that perfect MMORPG with that certain IP or even a new IP will alway's be allot more amazing in our minds then what is actually given.

But the majority doesn't seem willing to play what is given but try to play what they hoped for yet not is given. Atleast that's what I get when reading the majority of complaints with many different MMORPG's.