Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: Why Don't More People Play TSW?

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Others have already said it but I agree. 

1) The game is very clunky and unpolished

2) It really isn't that different from other MMO's. The core is the same quest hub centric game with a clunky tab targeting centric combat system that every other MMO is. There really are MMO's that are different out there but this isn't one of them. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Crafting is embarrasingly bad. The writing is juvenile. I thought the rest of the game was very well done. But those two things turned me away.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

1: Crafting was bad.

2: Other then puzzle quest just another combat leveling game.

3: Poorly optimized.

I only play private servers now the modern mmo's are not to my taste.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

"I want to know, why don’t you play TSW?" "Or if you do, why should others play it?"

I do play, so I can't say why they don't. Though I do have a winnig bet: most will reason it with the combat - which is a lame reason :) (or worse, with the animations, which is not even a lame, but a pathetic, laughable one)

"Or if you do, why should others play it?"

They shouldn't. Honestly. I know, it's not a good anwer for Funcom financially, but TSW is doing fine the way it is now, the last thing it needs a crowd of "combat suxx", "lol i can haz only 1 quest a time?", "what's the code in....?" peeps. (that's why I opposed the b2p switch as well, but actually the transition wasn't that bad after all).

It was obvious since launch that TSW won't reach massive numbers... but the ones who like it will usually stay in there. Ragnar made an awesome game for the adventurer, story-oriented players. Writing is great as usual, and it has the best character building / theory crafting system in any games out there.

The only thing I don't like in TSW is the huge grind at the end. I avoid that since day one. :) With that I must say, placing the augments behind the scenario grind in the last Issue was a dirtier move than the Godslayer factions grind in AoC...

• HarukoHaruko Member UncommonPosts: 45
    If it was free, I would actually try it. But paying 30 bucks for a game now days with all the free games out there, it is not worth it.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Greymantle4

1: Crafting was bad.

2: Other then puzzle quest just another combat leveling game.

3: Poorly optimized.

I only play private servers now the modern mmo's are not to my taste.

I would love a private TSW server, especially if things loaded faster.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TaotavTaotav Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Originally posted by Po_gg

"I want to know, why don’t you play TSW?" "Or if you do, why should others play it?"

I do play, so I can't say why they don't. Though I do have a winnig bet: most will reason it with the combat - which is a lame reason :) (or worse, with the animations, which is not even a lame, but a pathetic, laughable one)

"Or if you do, why should others play it?"

They shouldn't. Honestly. I know, it's not a good anwer for Funcom financially, but TSW is doing fine the way it is now, the last thing it needs a crowd of "combat suxx", "lol i can haz only 1 quest a time?", "what's the code in....?" peeps. (that's why I opposed the b2p switch as well, but actually the transition wasn't that bad after all).

It was obvious since launch that TSW won't reach massive numbers... but the ones who like it will usually stay in there. Ragnar made an awesome game for the adventurer, story-oriented players. Writing is great as usual, and it has the best character building / theory crafting system in any games out there.

The only thing I don't like in TSW is the huge grind at the end. I avoid that since day one. :) With that I must say, placing the augments behind the scenario grind in the last Issue was a dirtier move than the Godslayer factions grind in AoC...

I totally agree.

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

the combat is the worst and its difficult to level.

could have been a very nice mmo but one of the developers thought we players don't care about gameplay/combat.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

I loved the concept, and the setting. Game had so much potential. I bought it day one. Some of the best marketing too pre-launch imo.

The starter area, Kingmouth, was great. Upon leaving everything else felt 'meh'. Almost like thrown together to me.

The crafting is just horrible all around. It's terri-bad. No good.

The combat feels off somehow. It's not fluid, and with the skill based system, it's more than possible to choose things that just don't work together at all. That shouldn't be imo.

It's was almost great. Maybe if they had gone with a class system and different combat mechanic? I dunno. The idea is awesome, the execution needed more work.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

Its still a quest/gear grind game.

The combat is very slow and plays the same no matter what weapon you use - 1111123

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

And you forgot another major reason: the competition at the time was GW2, a game that was extremely polished at release AND that was expected by pretty much everyone.

Also it was at its core different from other MMOs (not just story/writing), which probably eclipsed TSW release in a big way.

I would imagine that as TSW failed to deliver initially, a significant number of people didn't renew their sub/waited one month for GW2, and then got sucked in elsewhere.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by askdaboss

And you forgot another major reason: the competition at the time was GW2, a game that was extremely polished at release AND that was expected by pretty much everyone...

your right! i bought into the 'shinny bright thingy'- guess what game is uninstalled on my comp now...

<.<

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    The quest/lore in this game is awesome, maybe best in any game.  The combat not so much.  I want to play this game but the combat keeps me away.  The combat feels so clunky and is hard to manage very quickly.  I always feel FunCom has great ideas but they are never implemented correctly.  
  • paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198

I don't play TSW because it failed and the problems that causes. For example, there's hardly content coming out, the stuff promised for fall 2012 is not released yet. Dungeons were bugged with small chance for fixes, small chance for any new dungeons/content.

They don't have resources to fix exploits. I'll rather play a game that provides content and exploit fixes. 

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891

My boyfriend and I have enjoyed this title since it's beginning ARGs. We sit in front of our own computers and interact more in this game then any other MMORPG. Together we have overcome all of the investigation missions we face.

When we were in egypt there was a mission where we had to find the pieces of a staff. The mission was called "The Binding". In order to find their locations we had to triangulate their positions with the directions that the god's statues face (even the false one's).

We printed a map out and went to each statue, determining as best we could the direction of their gaze and making a line on the map and a rough circle around the area that their gaze crossed. 

We completed The Binding and we did it together.

This game is PERFECT for couples.

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

Why don't I play TSW?  I think FunCom spread themselves too thin.

The way I see it, they pulled resources that could have been used to establish AOC's longevity and created TSW.  In doing so they screwed up both games.

• dennis5dennis5 Member CommonPosts: 23
    the best environment in a game I have ever met. Truly amazing
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Aulliwyn

My boyfriend and I have enjoyed this title since it's beginning ARGs. We sit in front of our own computers and interact more in this game then any other MMORPG. Together we have overcome all of the investigation missions we face.

When we were in egypt there was a mission where we had to find the pieces of a staff. The mission was called "The Binding". In order to find their locations we had to triangulate their positions with the directions that the god's statues face (even the false one's).

We printed a map out and went to each statue, determining as best we could the direction of their gaze and making a line on the map and a rough circle around the area that their gaze crossed. 

We completed The Binding and we did it together.

This game is PERFECT for couples.

Most people play MMORPGs solo. If you play an MMORPG with other people and you enjoy it, the chances are that you enjoy the game mosly because you enjoy the other people who are playing it!

For your interest, Angry Joe thought GW2 was the best thing since sliced bread. However, he was playing the game with a large group of friends. In contrast, TotalBiscuit played GW2 solo and he gave GW2 a far more realistic and sober review - it was above average, and that's about all.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    Originally posted by Vonatar
    Combat was and remains terrible, at least for me. The animations are clunky and severely outdated, weapons lacked impact (e.g. firing a pistol sounded like a cap gun) and there was no fluidity. I tried a few times to just play and get past it, but combat is a big part of an MMO and I couldn't.

Ditto. Combat is the worst. This game was the most disappointing MMO ever for me. I love the setting, the investigation missions, and the puzzles. But I've tried to go back several times and the combat just kills this game for me. I just can't do it.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Its like they took a step backwards..

Age of Conan was I guess my favourite themepark mmorpg and I was kind of hoping for more of the same but in a modern setting.. but instead they removed all the good things that aoc had going for it.. and mainly the combat system.. The combat system in AOC was something different and more enjoyable than your standard tab target system.. sadly FunCom thought different and just went with your plan and simple tab target combat.

I am more of a sandbox fan and fps style combat these days i guess standard tab target just dont cut it any more.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Crafting is embarrasingly bad. The writing is juvenile. I thought the rest of the game was very well done. But those two things turned me away.

Really? I disagree there. But I'm curious on why you think so and also what mmo doesn't have juvenile writing then?

Anyway, I like TSW. But I can't quite put my finger on why I don't play it hardly anymore. 

• MurmelixMurmelix Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by centkin

I said this when Tera and The Secret World released. 

If you had the combat of Tera with the story of The Secret World then you would have a winner.  Each game had what the other game lacked. 

Tera is Chocolate -- TSW was peanut butter.  Together you get a candy bar.

Thats it. 

TSW has the best and immersive quests and atmosphere i have experienced in an mmo so far. This game is a piece of real game-art. Every detail in every quest is unique and hand-crafted. Every photo, every message, every map, everything is unique detailed and hand-made. It is made with so much love for detail. The characters and their acting are great, but i miss my characters voice. (but i do understand why there is none)

That on the plus-side. 

The skill-wheel could not live the hype. It is somewhat generic. Many skills are "other-weapon" variants of other skills. Building on the skill-whell the combat is suffering, it is maybe medicore. As said, clunky and boring.

The User-Interface does not fit into the game, it feels distinct and kills the atmosphere a little bit. 

The visual appearance is very good (way way better than TESO imho) but the animations are lacking and the character generaction is too limited (hi tera again)

Last but not least the detachment form items with stats and clothes is really nice. Sadly there are no clothes drops (at least as far as i played but you get some for achivements) and the clothes you can buy are very limited. Some clothes in the item-shop are nice but to expensive. I would have bought a couple of them, if they were lower priced. 

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

I dislike the setting even though the game is pretty well put together. I know they were trying to be unique with their setting but I just can't get into it.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by orbitxo

still my #1 mmo.

no issues with it, just kinda funny all the negative reviews some players have about it- just shows me i probably have no interest on their current game they are playing.

TSW- does go above and beyond!-accelerating how far an mmo can go with creativity!

The reason why TSW combat sucks is not "funny" in either sense of the word - it is not amusing and there is no mystery about it.

What is more, the concept of TSW is not in the least bit  "creative" - it's a poor implementation of the role playing game The Call of Cthulu.

The creativity all comes from H.P. Lovecraft who lived many decades ago.

• SmarnyPeteSmarnyPete Member Posts: 69

People say they don't want clones to WoW, but they really do want to clones to WoW. Look at the forums for ESO. It is not a WoW clone, but the general populace is trying to turn into a WoW clone and they might succeed. You can find thread after thread for more action bars with more abilities, mini maps, the removal of phasing, more mods, more minis. Threads wanting raids to give best gear not crafting.

Look at GW2. 4 months after release. People screamed for gear progression and ascended back pieces and jewels were brought in. Eventually ascended weapons and armor. The game became a huge grind and eliminated gearing up alts unless yo uplay 8 hours a day. Their manifesto was completely ripped up.

If players would let the developers make a game within their vision of the game MMOs would be so much better and not so much clones. If developers stayed with their visions and told the player buy into our vision or not MMOs would continue to grow. Now, developers all try to morph the game post release to please the "I don't want a wow clone, but really do" and kill their game. The players that screamed and cried for change leave 2-3 months later and the players who followed the game for years and play for a long time are left with a shell of what the game was supposed to be.