Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Currently most played MMO

cybersrscybersrs Member UncommonPosts: 181
Is there a way to check which MMO is currently most played?

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by cybersrs

is this a serious question,?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

First we have to fight for days over the definition of what exactly is a MMO before we can answer your question.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• amalageramalager Member UncommonPosts: 15

What kind of MMO? There's MMORPG like Eclipse War and there's MMOFPS like Counter Strike and Point Blank. What genre are you pointing at?

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Kyleran

First we have to fight for days over the definition of what exactly is a MMO before we can answer your question.

*equips hammer of smashing intellect*

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• MiserySignalMiserySignal Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by amalager

What kind of MMO? There's MMORPG like Eclipse War and there's MMOFPS like Counter Strike and Point Blank. What genre are you pointing at?

Counter-Strike an MMOFPS? WTF?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Hi new guy. stuff like this is as about as good as your gonna get -

http://mmodata.blogspot.com/

http://xfire.com

http://raptr.com

Most companies are pretty tight lipped about actual players.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • amalageramalager Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by MiserySignal

I don't know how old you are, but we used to play Counterstrike with other players from another country via battle.net

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

I don't know how old you are, but we used to play Counterstrike with other players from another country via battle.net

Massive does not come to mind when I think about my Counter Strike days. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Haven't you heard? any game that connects to the NET is considered a MMO these days.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

If this is your meaning of MMO, then that means Quake 3 Arena is an MMO, UT is an MMO, even POD racing and Forza are now MMO.

And if is, then you may as well forget MMO as a genre existing, since it becomes so vague that any MP game = MMO.

Most people at least want a persistent character that exists in a persistent world before even considering labeling it an MMO.

EDIT: Come to think of it, even if you included any MP game as an MMO, my money would still be that the most played is some asian f2p one. No idea how you would check, though.

• imunrealimunreal Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

If this is your meaning of MMO, then that means Quake 3 Arena is an MMO, UT is an MMO, even POD racing and Forza are now MMO.

And if is, then you may as well forget MMO as a genre existing, since it becomes so vague that any MP game = MMO.

Most people at least want a persistent character that exists in a persistent world before even considering labeling it an MMO.

EDIT: Come to think of it, even if you included any MP game as an MMO, my money would still be that the most played is some asian f2p one. No idea how you would check, though.

What Kai said!

When it comes to MMO, the term means "massively multiplayer online" and that is the problem. We have different meanings of "massive". So its all about elimination.

Is call of duty a MMO with its 18 (I think GHOST is 18, could be wrong) multiplayer matches? No

Is battlefield 4 with its 64 player matches a MMO? No

What about Planetside 2? I would consider it a MMO because of its massive world and server style.

Now, that is just the FPS section. FPS games are easy to pin point what a MMO is and is not while RPG MMO's are a lot harder.

What I would consider a MMO, is a massive world with servers the company own (not player based servers like DayZ), the company manage and the company make the same rule set for all (exception being PVE/PVP/RP servers). So games like WoW, Rift, SWTOR, TSW I would consider MMORPG's and I would consider Planetside 2 as a MMOFPS (not familiar with other MMO FPS games). So, in short, a game with a lobby where you click to join a game without a persistent world is not a MMO for me.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Myrdynn
    Originally posted by cybersrs

is this a serious question,?

I think it is a very serious question so I will give him a serious answer.  World of Warcraft hands down...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• danmax67danmax67 Member UncommonPosts: 37

I have no idea how accurate or up to date this is, but here's a wikipedia as far as mmorpg's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_games#Statistics_table

If I read it correctly, Dofus is the most played ?  o.O

• CrazyCronusCrazyCronus Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I would guess wow, a couple of F2P and some asian mmos?
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

The better question is "How many concurrent players daily".

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by danmax67

I have no idea how accurate or up to date this is, but here's a wikipedia as far as mmorpg's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_games#Statistics_table

If I read it correctly, Dofus is the most played ?  o.O

guess the wiki needs some updating - it cites a press release from 2008 for Dofus

http://press.ankama.com/en/press-release/1039-dofus-reaches-the-10-million-player-threshold.html

Roubaix, France - 7 October 2008 - DOFUS, the leading massively multiplayer online game in France now counts 10 million players, including 1.5 million subscribers, throughout the world.

a year later -

Oct 2009 interview

http://web.archive.org/web/20100413114907/http://www.worldsinmotion.biz/2009/10/interview_ankama_talks_dofus_a.php

Do you have any new subscription numbers for Dofus or Wakfu?

CG: In terms of total subscribers, we are over 3 million. At the moment we have over 500,000 active subscribers, with a total of 3 million active players in a given month. As for total registered players [meaning all who have ever touched the game], we've reached 25 million.

in contrast, WOW revealed a few months ago over 100 million have tried WOW

http://wow.joystiq.com/2014/01/28/100-000-000-world-of-warcraft-accounts-infographic/